Wine by the glass in the MDR?

It's been a couple of years since we've been on RCI and I know they are really strict now on their wine policy. Can you still order wine by the glass in the MDR, and if so, does anyone know the price, say, for a merlot or chardonay house wine? I would consider the wine package, but DH doesn't drink wine and we are by ourselves on this cruise.

Yes you can order wine by the glass but I'd suggest that you pick a wine you might like and order a bottle at the beginning of your cruise, they will cork it for you nightly and bring it back subsequent nights until the bottle is empty, you'll probably save a few dollars doing so.

two glasses of Chardonnay in the MDR was $14.95 on our recent cruise on Brilliance.....Our dining companions had bought a wine package which worked out cheaper ...any remaining wine was corked and brought out the following evening.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I can order one bottle of red and one of white, and then have them bring what goes with the dinner I order that night. Sounds like the price is around $7.50 per glass, so 4 glasses from each bottle, so if the wine is $30.00 or less, it would be cheaper to order the whole bottle, right?

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I can order one bottle of red and one of white, and then have them bring what goes with the dinner I order that night. Sounds like the price is around $7.50 per glass, so 4 glasses from each bottle, so if the wine is $30.00 or less, it would be cheaper to order the whole bottle, right?

Exactly! Plus... you can always take the bottle with you if you'd like. Mom and I did this on our last cruise. Order a bottle in the dining room, enjoy a glass with dinner and take the remainder of the bottle with us to enjoy during the show.

Yes, that's a good plan.

I would also add that there "house wine" is La Terre, or La Terrible, as some of us call it.

I apologize if I am insulting anyone's taste buds, but that's my opinion of its quality.

My point? Order a better bottle of wine (or 2) and enjoy those by the glass, as described!

I really like the idea that you can take it to the show, or order two bottles and take one back to your room! I would enjoy a glass of wine at the end of the evening, looking out on the balcony!

I need to check into that wine package, it might be cheaper.

Someone mentioned taking unfinished bottles of wine back to your room. Is this allowed on all the ships? We'll be on LOS in May - and I'd love to be able to do this - and have a glass of wine out on our balcony later that night!

Someone mentioned taking unfinished bottles of wine back to your room. Is this allowed on all the ships? We'll be on LOS in May - and I'd love to be able to do this - and have a glass of wine out on our balcony later that night!

We do it all the time. And don't forget to take your glass also.

Rick and Deirdra

You can see the price of wines by the glass (and the full wine list as of 2008) here: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562747533yjShXM

I've found that, if you have a bartender with a heavy hand, the price per glass is almost always less than the price of a full bottle.:)

I also concur with Merion Mom's assessment of that swill they pour as their house wine. Pay an extra .50-$1.00 and move up the scale a bit.

And if you're cruising on a ship with a Vintages wine bar, you can order a flight (4 glasses of 2oz pours, although see the note about a heavy hand) and sample quite a few decent wines until you find a favorite.

They allow a lot of "breathing room" when buying by the glass so they probably get five glasses out of a bottle. But as another OP said if you cozy up to a particular bartender and maybe grease the skids with a buck tip, they might not figure your wine needs so much "breathing room." I found this to be true on my cruises. By the third or fourth time, I'm getting nearly a full glass of white and a fuller glass of reds. I found it much easier to stop on the way to the dining room and get my glass to take in as it sometimes took a while to get a server to come take your order and then fetch it for you.

Running a little late one evening, I stopped to get my glass of wine from the regular bar I went to on the way and slipped and fell on the way to the dining room. My fault, I'm a klutz and my shoes had leather soles. Combination on the Promenade doesn't bode well for me (lol). I went back to the bar to get another glass and the bartender comped it to me. That free glass probably covered all the tips I had given him (lol).

I buy it by the glass mainly because husband doesn't drink and I like to try different kinds with different foods.

Tucker in Texas

Wine package details, go here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/category/home.do;jsessionid=0000maN9LUvcLByeSYVHM6bHnSr:12hdhubrs?catCode=WINDIN

We've done the wine package, and it is cheaper than the individual bottle, one at a time.

You can use the wine package in the dining room, Windjammer, Chop's, Portofino, Seaview Cafe, JR's . . . anywhere.

You can take your unfinished bottle with after dinner to your room, or have them save it for dinner the next night.

The details in the above link explain the different packages available.

Enjoy your cruise on RCCL!

Rick and Deirdra

Yes, that's a good plan.

I would also add that there "house wine" is La Terre, or La Terrible, as some of us call it.

I apologize if I am insulting anyone's taste buds, but that's my opinion of its quality.

My point? Order a better bottle of wine (or 2) and enjoy those by the glass, as described!

You are not insulting my taste buds, as they are pretty plebian. I had read the comment about La Terrible before, so ordered non-house-wine bottles, until the last night; I used our two coupons for two free glass of the house merlot. Heck, I liked it better! I'm a cheap date, but I am big on diamonds :).

You can see the price of wines by the glass (and the full wine list as of 2008) here: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562747533yjShXM

I've found that, if you have a bartender with a heavy hand, the price per glass is almost always less than the price of a full bottle.:)

I also concur with Merion Mom's assessment of that swill they pour as their house wine. Pay an extra .50-$1.00 and move up the scale a bit.

And if you're cruising on a ship with a Vintages wine bar, you can order a flight (4 glasses of 2oz pours, although see the note about a heavy hand) and sample quite a few decent wines until you find a favorite.

You're the one who taught me the name! ;) :D

Wine package details, go here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/category/home.do;jsessionid=0000maN9LUvcLByeSYVHM6bHnSr:12hdhubrs?catCode=WINDIN

We've done the wine package, and it is cheaper than the individual bottle, one at a time.

You can use the wine package in the dining room, Windjammer, Chop's, Portofino, Seaview Cafe, JR's . . . anywhere.

You can take your unfinished bottle with after dinner to your room, or have them save it for dinner the next night.

The details in the above link explain the different packages available.

Enjoy your cruise on RCCL!

Rick and Deirdra

One more option, you can call room service and order a bottle off your wine package for delivery to your room. They do set up, wine in ice bucket, glasses, etc. Just a couple bucks for tip.

I concur - order by the bottle and pay a few dollars more - you will get a much better wine! I like the idea of the wine flight tasting .... looking forward to planting my backside in Vintages on a few occasions!! I'm waiting until I board to order the Wine and Dine package so I can use my OBC...hope they let me do it! If not - a la carte wine is fine...I'm sure they won't run out!

:pThanks for the tips - am going w/DH on Grandeur 5/16/09 - only 5 days so the wine package is too much (DH is a beer guy) Figured I would order by the glass but I do like a nice pinot grigio and RCL has a pretty good one at the bottom of their price bracket - maybe I will go for a bottle to have the 1st nite and then take back to the room for pre-dinner cocktails.

I did the wine package on the 9 day last year and 5 bottles was exactly enough (ended up having to finish the last one up on the last nite) I do like to switch to mojitos when out for the nite so it is nice to be able to have a change.:rolleyes:

Cost wise - the bottle is cheaper than by the glass - never able to find that "special" bartender who will give me a larger pour:(

anyone know if there is a Vintages on Grandeur?

I concur - order by the bottle and pay a few dollars more - you will get a much better wine! I like the idea of the wine flight tasting .... looking forward to planting my backside in Vintages on a few occasions!! I'm waiting until I board to order the Wine and Dine package so I can use my OBC...hope they let me do it! If not - a la carte wine is fine...I'm sure they won't run out!

We'll see you at Vintages!!!

Yes, that's a good plan.

Hi,

It's not that bad, my corner shop sells it for UK£3.00 a bottle I think that works out as between 4 and 5 US$ a bottle.

It's not as good as a nice Italian Red, but it saves a trip down to the supermarket or wine merchants.

I've paid a lot more for stuff that was practically undrinkable

It's been a couple of years since we've been on RCI and I know they are really strict now on their wine policy. Can you still order wine by the glass in the MDR, and if so, does anyone know the price, say, for a merlot or chardonay house wine? I would consider the wine package, but DH doesn't drink wine and we are by ourselves on this cruise.

You could buy a bottle and what you don't drink each night they will save for the next night...just a suggestion. :)

Archived