Is it me or are the Breakfasts in dining room lacking?

Truck Cruiser

I used to like to have breakfast at least once in the dining room, but the past 3 cruises, I've been disappointed.

The eggs benedict haven't been great. Eggs undercooked and sauce crusted over.

The scrambled eggs were just as disgusting as the ones at the buffet.

Takes forever to get served.

I think from now on I'll just get my made-to-order omelette from the buffet, my side order of about a pound of bacon, a croissant, my guava/orange juice concoction, my cup of hot tea, and sit outside at a table.

It just isn't worth the time and effort just to get that glass of pineapple or tomato juice that isn't available at the buffet!

I liked the breakfast, but i admit im pretty simple breakfast person. Im quite satisfied with a egg, some breakfast potatoes and a slice or two of bacon. I suspect that most folks are like me and that is why Carnival keeps it pretty simple at breakfast.

I prefer they keep the focus on Dinner like they have it now. I would hate to see dinner foods slip so they could "beef" up the breakfast menu.

We loved our breakfast together on our balcony watching the sun low in the sky on the horizon.

It was a quick trip each morning to the lido deck for a tray with a couple of plates and cups of joe.

Perhaps we'll try the dining room next time just to see what it's like.

We ate almost every breakfast in the DR. I had eggs benedict almost every time! I asked that the eggs be cooked extra hard, since I have a thing about runny eggs.:rolleyes: My hollandaise sauce was always smooth and creamy. And the eggs were done as well! The corned beef hash was some of the best, and those stewed bananas! Got them almost everyday as a side, no waffles or pancakes in sight! Can't wait for our next cruise. Those eggs benedict and stewed bananas are calling my name! :D

We ate breakfast on the Lido on the last morning, and were somewhat disappointed with it. Made us very happy we ate in the DR!

What do you think, am I crazy for feeling this way?

Yes. :rolleyes: Hey, don't ask the question unless you really want to hear the answer.

We usually split our breakfast locations, based on what we have planned for the day. There's enough variety on the menu so that it never gets boring.

I'm impressed with the menu! I haven't sailed with Carnival yet, but anyplace I can get a belgiun waffle with bananas and cream is alright with me:) There is something on that menu for everyone in my family, and nobody will care that the menu doesn't change, because at home they get the choice of cereal or oatmeal or scrammbled eggs. That's it. It's only breakfast, and there's a busy fun day ahead!!!!:):):)

On our next cruise Angel and I have made a conscious decision to try the DR at least once. We are not early risers as we hold firm to the "this is vacation" not our usual 9-5 day ideology. :cool: I have never been impressed with Lido dining i.e. greasy bacon, cold oatmeal and or grits and eggs, but the omlettes were good. Usually I just have my fav passion fruit juice and some fruit maybe a bagle. Angel is not a big breakfast person so we are just trying it to because we want a new experience while cruiseing.

Smooth Sailing Ya'll

AnitaMarie

And to the posters that complained about the OJ, just get them to bring you one of the other juices - I always get some pineapple!:D

I'm one of the complainers...lol!

Why would I order a different juice??? I wanted OJ. And not watered down OJ.

But I rarely eat breakfast in the DR and I can live with OJ, so not a big deal. It's just that if I order OJ, I don't want it so watered down. It's like drinking orange colored water and does not taste good at all.

I love breakfast in the dining room. The corned beef hash with a plain omelet, pineapple juice and coffee is my fav breakfast. I will vary it, by having scrambled eggs or the eggs benny and maybe some bacon.

Seven breakfasts never give me enough time to try lots of things, so I'm going to enjoy my 2 weeks on the Pride when I can really have a variety of things. May even have the waffle one morning. :D

I'm not much of a breakfast person at home, but get me on a cruise ship and I am always one of the first in the dining room when it opens in the morning. :D

Let's play a little game: If you were the food and bevarge director, what would you put on the menu that wasn't allready on it?

I am not complaining at all... I love any breakfast I do not have to cook and clean up after :D; BUT I would love to see some buttermilk biscuits! Yeah, I am a southern girl! ;)

I like breakfast in the dining room - but I like the suggestions others have made:

cinnamon buns hot from the oven

crepes

fresh fruit like grapes, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple...

I have been on 3 Carnival cruises now and one of my biggest complaints is that breakfast in the dining room usually isn't very good and the menu never changes. I think it would behoove Carnival to put the same kind of work effort into breakfast as they do the dinner. Dinner is as good as it get's for selection and quality and a little more of each at breakfast wouldn't hurt.

What do you think, am I crazy for feeling this way?

It is lacking, all right. However, it is fresh AND warm. The only warm dish I have ever found on the Lido breakfast was the fresh omlets.

I said I, not everyone. I am sure many always get warm food on the Lido breakfast...we just never have.

I wouldn't mind seeing biscuits and gravy.

That said, I don't think the menu is too narrow, it's just that the couple of times we've been awake early enough to have breakfast in the DR, the food hasn't been all that good. I had eggs benedict (one of my favorite dishes) on the Fascination just before debarkation, and the sauce was cold and crusty, the eggs probably had been correctly cooked at some point, but had sat under a heat lamp for far too long. I think my wife got an omelet, and it was also cool, and the toast not hot enough to even come close to melting butter. I don't know if this was because we got there toward the end of breakfast time, because it was the last day of the cruise, because it was a 4-day cruise, the ship, that particular chef, or just a bad day.

I'll definitely try it on the Destiny at least once, but I'm pretty happy with Lido deck food anyway (at least for breakfast).

- Steve

What else could you possibly want? Breakfast is breakfast. If you want a wider selection' date=' go to the buffet.....

BREAKFAST DINING ROOM MENU

Fruit:

Grapefruit half

Banana melon (in season)

Orange and grapefruit sections

Baked apples

Stewed prunes

Chilled Juices:

Orange

Grapefruit

Pineapple

Apple

Tomato

Prune

Cereals

Corn flakes Frosted Flakes

Special K Corn Pops

All Bran Raisin Bran

Cocoa Krispies Granola

Wheat Minis Rice Krispies

Bran Flakes Corn Flakes

Crispix Cruncheroos

Fruit Loops Smart Start

Smacks Hot Cream of Wheat

Hot Oatmeal Hominy Grits

Plain, strawberry or peach yogurt

Breakfast Entrees

Smoked Salmon with cream cheese and toasted bagel

Daily Breakfast Special

Eggs Benedict

Omelets

Boiled, fried. Scrambled or poached eggs

Buttermilk pancakes or Belgian waffles (available served with bananas, strawberries, blueberries, syrup, honey or cream)

French toast with Cinnamon sugar

On the Side

Corned beef hash

Sliced ham

Has browns

Link sausage

From The Bakery

Danish

Croissants

Muffins

Plain and raisin English muffins

Bagels

White, whole wheat or rye toast

Yes and it is the same, day in and day out. How about adding more or different entrees? Fresh fruit would be good too, the dining room pales compared to the buffet in that area. Real hash browns or fried potato's would be good, sausage gravy and biscuits, different omlets, different breakfast meats, come on , mix it up some!

Breakfast has always sucked on Carnival. It has not changed a bit since I started cruising......oh wait I think they change out the soggy tater tots to some other kind of potato every now and then........

The only thing I find decent is the ham......

Another reason to try other cruiselines........

Well.....since you asked:

Strawberry crepes

Eggs Sardou

Beignets

Huge, hot sticky buns

.....and I am a former chef from N.O., as well as an F&B director for major hotels.:)

I personally like the dining room breakfast offerings, and I have b'fast there every day of the cruise. True, the menu never changes, but the menu is so varied, I get something different every morning!

A big plus to me is to have complimentary espresso or cappuccino with every meal in the dining room.

Besides, it's much better to have food fresh from the kitchen than sitting in warming trays on a buffet....just my thoughts.:)

Ok,when is your ship sailing? I'll be there with my appetite. I've driven 200 miles for a beignet fix!

Archived