Thoughts on cruising/flying 5 months pregnant?

Ocruise

Hi everyone. We are thinking of taking a cruise on Presidents Day week in Feb on the Star Princess. At that time i'll be 21 weeks, around 5 months pregnant. Has anyone ever flown or cruised at that time in their pregnancy?

I'm really divided about it since this will probably be our "last hurrah" for a while, but at the same time I would'nt want to do anything to jeapordize my pregnancy.

I'm going to ask my doctor next week when I see him, but I wanted feedback from anyone who has ever vacationed while pregnant. I usually am a nervous flyer & I know I cannot take a valium on this flight!! But I flew 6 times last summer, and I think that really helped me dispell my fears. I actually miss flying a little!

I really would like to go away since DH feels that he would prefer not to vacation with a little one untill they are around 4 or so! Also, we had such an incredible experience on the Golden, we could not wait to sail Princess again. My husband & I fell in love with anytime dining & that is not availble on other lines we have sailed.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Marina

Celebrity~Horizon~Bermuda 6/03

Carnival~Paradise~Exotic West. Carrib. 8/03

Disney~Wonder~Bahamas 4th of July Cruise, 2004

RCCL~Explorer OS~ West. Carrib. 7/04

Princess~Golden~ South. Carrib. 8/04

You should be fine. I traveled (yes we had to fly) to Disney World with a friend who was 7 1/2 months along and she did amazingly well! We even rode a ride the stated "Expectant Mothers should not ride". Baby was born 2 months after we got back and turns 4 next February.

Assuming you are not having any problems with normal activities, a flight and cruise should not add to it. My wife flew to Aruba at 8 months - free trip, so we did not want to miss it.

The long flight is the only concern. Make sure you get up and get blood flowing.

I flew to Vegas at 7 months and loved it. You get a lot of attention and assistance; excuse to take afternoon naps; should cut the bar bill!

I would talk to your physician about seasickness. I would imagine that sea bands, ginger pills and ginger ale are your best bets, but ask for sure. I would come prepared. The lucky thing is that you are will be in that wonderful time of pregnancy where you are visibly pregnant, yet not exhausted anymore, and physically still comfortable.

Get aisle seat on plane--preferably near the restroom!

Avoid eating on port.

Happy cruising!

Kristin

PS DH is right--4 is about right for big vaca w/ child, but we have taken 6 mo. old to DisneyWorld (we live in NE) w/ grandparents along, and 18 mo. old to Lake Okaboji and Mall of America, and youngsters to Worlds of Fun and always had fun. Lots of breaks. Took road trip to shore in NJ (26 hours each way--in 3 days) w/ 4, 6 & 9 year old--actually the drive was fun! Thank goodness for TVs in cars! Actually flying is easy w/ youngsters--just DON'T board early if they are active, and avoid long flights. Layovers were always a better deal for our children--time to move, interesting. Happy traveling!

We cruised when I was about 5 months pregnant. It was our last hurrah of travelling for a while too. We had a great time and really enjoyed ourselves. I would recommend going as long as your doctor says that it is okay.

Biggest problem I had was finding summer clothes that would fit. I was pregnant in the winter time so all my maternity clothes were too warm for a cruise and none of the maternity stores had any summer clothes. Thank goodness for friends that I could borrow from and elastic waists! Have a great time!

Hi!

When I was 5 months pregnant with my daughter (now 5), my husband and I spent 3 weeks in Alaska (we're from the Washington DC area). While I did have some of the worst flights of my life on this vacation (having nothing to do with anything except for weather conditions and a total of 7 flights within this vacation) I had a great time. Hiked large hills (in Virginia they may be considered mountains), spent a week on a small ship cruise (less than 100 people). Loved every minute of it as the complete and utter exhaustion of the first trimester were completely gone. And yes, it can significantly lower your bar bill.

The only suggest I could make is that if you have anything unusual in your pregnancy (even if it's not immediate) or a family history of problems, it may not be a bad idea to take a copy of your medical records along.

Wish you best of luck with this!!!!

I'm going to ask my doctor next week when I see him, but I wanted feedback from anyone who has ever vacationed while pregnant. I usually am a nervous flyer & I know I cannot take a valium on this flight!! But I flew 6 times last summer, and I think that really helped me dispell my fears. I actually miss flying a little!

I really would like to go away since DH feels that he would prefer not to vacation with a little one untill they are around 4 or so! Also, we had such an incredible experience on the Golden, we could not wait to sail Princess again. My husband & I fell in love with anytime dining & that is not availble on other lines we have sailed.

21 weeks would be fine. I had a look on one airline website which says their limit is the end of week 36 for an uncomplicted single pregnancy, and they don't even want a doctor's letter until week 28. I expect that most airlines will have rules of the same general tenor.

Even if you can't take Valium, would you have a problem with a small glass of wine to help relax you a bit for the flight? By 21 weeks that should be OK for most pregnancies - after all, we're only talking about a one-off in each direction of the flight, and a small glass of wine isn't going to be raising your body alcohol level dramatically above the levels sometimes found as normal background.

But most of all, I would have thought that a cruise would be ideal for someone with a small baby. I have friends who went cruising for the first time with a 9 month old - they loved the entire experience and thought that there couldn't have been easier way to have a holiday. And that was even after having to fly trans-Atlantic from the UK to do the cruise.

Globaliser

I could tell you were from the UK, by your post. Recommending alcohol to a pregnant women in the states (even if it is a little) is almost as bad as offering them drugs. It still amazes me the little things about all of our cultures that are so different.

Ocruise

I wouldn't recommend the alcohol anyway. If you need drugs to fly then you shouldn't be flying. If you are worried about flying try a cruise that leaves from New York or someplace that is drivable for you. (I noticed that is where you are from). NCL I believe has cruises from there and they have a similiar dinning set up as Princess. You might want to give them a try. What ever you decide have fun and congrats on the pending new edition!

My OB was not opposed to the occasional glass of wine (or beer...). As she said--have one if you want, occasionally, but not several!

She felt that the increased stress that the alcohol could help alleviate was worse for the baby than a glass of alcohol.

I'm sure I've opened a bag of worms here, but I wanted to point out that this is not a cultural issue.

Additionally, no study has show ill effects of small alcohol amounts affecting the baby. High amounts, yes; small amounts they cannot say.

I did have the rare glass of wine or beer during each pregnancy (I know, I'm a bad mom...). Funny, I have 3 remarkably healthy and bright children. I never had more than one drink, and it was only a few times.

My OB is highly regarded in our midwestern small city. Moderation is her motto--moderate weight gain, exercise, caffeine consumption, alcohol, etc. She never freaked out about nutrasweet, bagels (don't ask--a pregnant friend was convinced that she had read that she was not to eat bagels!!)

Sorry, I had to speak up. But I don't feel that those nervous of flying who a made comfortable with a cocktail should be advised to not fly ever!!! And if a glass of wine is all that it takes, then so be it.

Waiting for the bashing to begin....

KKB

I had a very high risk pregnancy and after my amnio my ob advised me to go home, put my feet up and have a glass of wine. She is one of the most highly respected perinatologists in California. So I don't think it is bad advise, but I would advise every woman to check with their own ob first!! :)

I really would like to go away since DH feels that he would prefer not to vacation with a little one untill they are around 4 or so!

Marina....please ask DH to rethink this. We have had some marvelous times and made some fantastic memories vacationing with our little boy. He is now 4 1/2 and has been travelling with us since he was 6 monthes old. Really you will all have the best time if you vacation together while your child is young :) :) :) .

My OB was not opposed to the occasional glass of wine (or beer...). As she said--have one if you want, occasionally, but not several!

She felt that the increased stress that the alcohol could help alleviate was worse for the baby than a glass of alcohol.

I'm sure I've opened a bag of worms here, but I wanted to point out that this is not a cultural issue.

Additionally, no study has show ill effects of small alcohol amounts affecting the baby. High amounts, yes; small amounts they cannot say.

I did have the rare glass of wine or beer during each pregnancy (I know, I'm a bad mom...). Funny, I have 3 remarkably healthy and bright children. I never had more than one drink, and it was only a few times.

My OB is highly regarded in our midwestern small city. Moderation is her motto--moderate weight gain, exercise, caffeine consumption, alcohol, etc. She never freaked out about nutrasweet, bagels (don't ask--a pregnant friend was convinced that she had read that she was not to eat bagels!!)

Sorry, I had to speak up. But I don't feel that those nervous of flying who a made comfortable with a cocktail should be advised to not fly ever!!! And if a glass of wine is all that it takes, then so be it.

Waiting for the bashing to begin....

KKB

Hmmm....we must have had the same OB!

Mine always said " 'Tis better to have an occasional glass of wine than be a queen raving bixxx for 10 months!"

Guest Host Tink
Globaliser

I could tell you were from the UK, by your post. Recommending alcohol to a pregnant women in the states (even if it is a little) is almost as bad as offering them drugs. It still amazes me the little things about all of our cultures that are so different.

Ocruise

Gotta step in here, I'm from the Good Old USA and my OB said it was fine for me to drink a glass of wine every now and then, I had about one glass a week, and I have the most beautiful, intelligent, well-mannered daughter. She's 5 now! :-)

Gotta step in here, I'm from the Good Old USA and my OB said it was fine for me to drink a glass of wine every now and then, I had about one glass a week

Ditto, I went with my daughter at 27 weeks. She had a great last hurrah. Took naps and had wine.

Ask the doc and go with what the doc feels is OK for you.

Archived