So, Would You, a Diamond Cruiser, Book a Larger Ship Just for the CL (Free Booze)?

MrPete

No. I'd book one if it was at a price I liked, fit my schedule, and had an itinerary I wanted.

Absolutely not. I only go on the larger ships with my family and friends. I prefer the smaller ships---do not care about the freebies in the CL lounge. Yes, I do use it, but don't cruise for that reason. I just love RC and that has not changed.:)

Just wondering if this what is behind RCCL new watered down perks; trying to move the masses to the massive ships, while trying to attack the CL crowding problem.

Are you "incented"?

My answer is the same on as Silentbob´s. CL/DL won´t be the deciding factor for me. They haven´t been in the past either when I had to decide between a ship that has a CL or that has non.

We select our cruises based on the itinerary, price and dates; however if there is a DL/CL onboard that's just an added bonus. We typically don't use all of the extra amenities/features that come with the larger ships and enjoy the quaintness of the smaller Radiance class ships.

We select our cruises based on the itinerary, price and dates; however if there is a DL/CL onboard that's just an added bonus. We typically don't use all of the extra amenities/features that come with the larger ships and enjoy the quaintness of the smaller Radiance class ships.

Thank you...Finally someone is using common sense about this whole thing. It is a fact of life---changes are with us.:)

I'm a Diamond member who has never once had a free drink in the CL and seldom attend the free booze parties either. I love the CL for the free cappuccino and espresso and the nice light snacks in the morning. Also I like to talk to other frequent cruisers there.

We book big ships anyway because we like them. I do regret the loss of Radiance Class and Voyager Class CLs. The new reduction in benefits kind of makes me feel like a "Second Class Diamond." :(

It also makes me worry that once we are Diamond Plus, that we will lose those benefits at that level as well, as once again that level will become to numerous to accommodate.

Call me old fashion, but we love the smaller ships. Guess I will have to try one of the larger ships at some point when I run out of new ports. Until that time give me a Radiance class any day.

I won't be booking a larger ship just to have the right to use the CL. Besides who says the CL, on the larger ships, won't turn in to a racquet ball court by the time you cruise.

Just wondering if this what is behind RCCL new watered down perks; trying to move the masses to the massive ships, while trying to attack the CL crowding problem.

Are you "incented"?

We just finished a cruise on the Freedom. The CL was very crowded. After we got our wine and beer the conceirge told us we could sit outside the CL. That was in the Olive or Twist lounge and the music was way to loud for my comfort and I love music.

Jan

Because of the cabins that we now book, we have access to the CL but very seldom use it. This change does not affect me that much as the CL is not on the top of my list but I understand others like it. I would much rather go to a quite uncrowded lounge and order what I want to drink in place of the cheap stuff that they offer in the CL.

IMHO this is just one more move by RCI towards becoming even more mass market. Anyone that has cruised lately knows that the lounges were becoming very overcrowded and something had to be done. Was this the correct answer? Time will tell.

Nope. Really can't imagine what all the fuss is about. Then again, with all the threads about smuggling and such, maybe a lot of people only cruise to drink. I don't know. From the way some people act, I almost picture a frat house party, some nimrod with a funnel in his mouth drinking as much as he possibly can in the 30 minutes before he goes to dinner.

Nope. Really can't imagine what all the fuss is about. Then again, with all the threads about smuggling and such, maybe a lot of people only cruise to drink. I don't know. From the way some people act, I almost picture a frat house party, some nimrod with a funnel in his mouth drinking as much as he possibly can in the 30 minutes before he goes to dinner.

I often wonder about the same thing. Going on a cruise just to drink? I have seen some people's sea pass bill and its been a few pages. On our Alaska cruise our table mate had just become diamond and he got his share in the CL before and after dinner. He would eat his dinner pretty fast and rush up to the CL for more free drinks. We did enjoy the glass of wine and bottle of beer before dinner, but we'll survice without it. Cruising is to much of a pleasure for me to worry about drinking. But I did love the cappucino machine.

Jan

I often wonder about the same thing. Going on a cruise just to drink? I have seen some people's sea pass bill and its been a few pages. On our Alaska cruise our table mate had just become diamond and he got his share in the CL before and after dinner. He would eat his dinner pretty fast and rush up to the CL for more free drinks. We did enjoy the glass of wine and bottle of beer before dinner, but we'll survice without it. Cruising is to much of a pleasure for me to worry about drinking. But I did love the cappucino machine.

Jan

I don't think that it's all about just "drinking". Others use the CL for things like grabbing a quick breakfast without going to the WJ, dining room or using room service. Even you made the comment about liking the cappuccino machine. Maybe others did too.

I also think that this is more about the constant amount of changes that RCI continues to make. It is starting to cheapen the product. As I stated in a post above, I believe that they are moving even more towards the mass market arena. Time will tell if this backfires.

NO, it does not.

I am an itinerary person so most of my cruising days are with other cruise lines, however I am close to D+ because of the extra credits I have received.

Infact I did chose my last 2 cruises because of how nice it is to escape into the CL and have breakfast. The voyage class ships are just to crowded for me in the morning on sea days.

I don't drink, so I've never used the CL for the "free drinks" What I did use it for was varied and included;

* Portofino's reservations

* Ice show tickets

* Ease and variety of cruise brochures to consider future bookings

(have always booked onboard for our next cruise)

* Excellent port books which has wonderful information on each port

* Cappucino

* Networking with other like minded cruisers

* Assistance with boarding passes

* General information and dispute resolution

and many other what some might feel are trivial items. I've heard the argument over the past day, that I can do many of these things for myself (the port books may take a lot more research and effort), and I agree I can. BUT, I haven't had to. Will the policy change affect my future vacation plans, of course it will. I have been loyal to the RCI family and enjoyed it. But in many cases, I've paid more money to do so. What will it change? I will no longer be blindly loyal to RCI! I will entertain other options that will meet my family's needs.

At what cost to RCI? I feel substantial. I own a small business, and I fully understand that the cost to retain a client versus attracting a new client are substantial. They cost that has not been spoken of here is the referral numbers that we all have made to RCI over the past years. I have taken family numerous times, I've talked friends into cruising with us, and I've recommended through "cruise nights" probably another 10 - 15 couples to choose RCI. I'm sure we all have done similarly. A satisfied customer i.e. "Royal Champions, etc" can do so much more than just a commercial. A non-satisfied customer, can magnify their opinions numerous times over, but in a very negative vane.

I don't agree with the change, but will of course deal with it, as we all will. I have sent my emails to all involved, as well at to Princess to ask for loyalty program match (many airlines and hotel companies do). I called Crown & Anchor to voice my displeasure. Their response, "You do get another welcome reception with various officers". Doesn't come close to recitifying my use and needs. My actions will always speak much louder than my words, and in the end, my vacation plans will now be altered. No more blind loyalty to RCI.

nope..............

this latest cut just adds insult to injury to overall growing dissatisfaction.

NOW............if the big ship came to Cape Liberty and it had a decent price, itinerary, etc then maybe i would book........because it would mean a ONE HOUR drive to the pier............

but i'm off to look at other lines too.............................

it's about loyalty and making people feel special, not about padding the wallets of the suits.

No. I'd book one if it was at a price I liked, fit my schedule, and had an itinerary I wanted.

And, if I could drag my husband on it. :rolleyes:

He likes the Voyager class as the largest we cruise. ;)

Just for the CL, never.

EDIT:

I have never used it anyway. :o

But I do not think it is right what RCCL is doing to the members that

are Diamond already. It is just not right!!

It took me almost 9 years and 9 cruises to get to Diamond.

I will be lucky to live long enough to see Diamond plus. Now, I

do not care if I try to make it or not. :(

There is no incentive.

I don't think that it's all about just "drinking". Others use the CL for things like grabbing a quick breakfast without going to the WJ, dining room or using room service. Even you made the comment about liking the cappuccino machine. Maybe others did too.

I also think that this is more about the constant amount of changes that RCI continues to make. It is starting to cheapen the product. As I stated in a post above, I believe that they are moving even more towards the mass market arena. Time will tell if this backfires.

I did enjoy the CL especially for breakfast. That's my favorite part of cruising, sitting with a cup of tea, or cappucino and watching the sea go by. I don't appreciate the changes they have made with the on board credit, visa and stocks. I have also felt that the Freedom class ships are big enough. We were just on the Freedom and it was beautiful and I am sure the Oasis will be too, but they could have done without it. I am afraid there are going to be to many ships. Who knows, maybe they will surprise us with the new coupon books. :)

Jan

I had already started looking more seriously at other ships before the latest perk of using the CL was removed. We cruise mainly longer cruises for itinerary and price and, like others, prefer the smaller ships.

With the denying of allowing OBC for owning stock, booking while on a cruise, etc. being combinable with Diamond balcony discount, not being able to bring on a bottle of wine for enjoyment on my balcony (on our last cruise they were even taking up the minature of liquor given to passengers getting off at a port stop), the playing field was starting to level. Add to that the decline of food quality, service due to personnel being stretched too thin, and other small perks being graduatlly taken away (chocolates, free photo, etc.) and charges being added like Johnny Rockets increase and post-midnight room service charge (actually, that saves me money as I always tipped $5), the only thing leaning the field towards RCI if the price and itinerary was competitive with another line was the CL lounge usage.

Tucker in Texas

Archived