So, Would You, a Diamond Cruiser, Book a Larger Ship Just for the CL (Free Booze)?

MrPete

NEVER-- we would only continue to sail Radiance class ships if the evening party is restored-- it is not about the free drinks but the club ambiance that is desired... I would also not move up to a suite just to get that perk--could do better spending money elsewhere.

Voyager holds no appeal, Freedom Class even less (don't like the size or mall/promenade features) & just got a brochure that makes Oasis seem like a housing project at Sea...reminds me of Coney Island back in the day--maybe that's what they are going for with a boardwalk & carousel...

Most of the pics in the brochure show active families & loads of kid's stuff so maybe they see there is more money in challenging Disney than retaining their Diamonds.....

I like the destinations, pick the ship based on where we want to go.

Like AK cruise, no Freedom or Oasis there now, likely never will be since AK is not too fond of the huge ships based on feedback from folks I know living there.

If doing a cruise and WDW, I may try the bigger ship to get the Diamond Lounge access if the pricing is appropriate. Would I pay $100 or 200 more per person for 3 folks for 2 Adults to get some free drinks on the cruise? Nope...

What I want to know is if we get cut out of the CL half way thru our AK cruise...

Our last cruise on the Jewel in November was our first as Diamond members. We went to the CL but felt it was too crowded so we spent the rest of the cruise in the overflow lounge on Deck 14 (I Think) which was across from a bar where we could (UGH POOH) smoke.

DW sips wine and I drink diet cola so the free booze was not an issue with us. The appetizers were nice but Best of All was simply hanging out with other experienced RCI Cruisers.

I think that this was the most enjoyable and relaxing part of our entire cruise. We learned a lot about cruising and got a lot of great ideas for future cruises.

We prefer the Radiance class, followed by the Vision class, ships because of their size, sleekness, covered solarium pool areas, and unobstructed aft balcony views.

Although DH is a bit disappointed about the change in policy, I am actually relieved. I am looking forward to spending my cocktail hour time either out on our balcony or at a variety of lounges or bars. Since we reached Diamond status, I have rarely been able to enjoy a drink in any champagne or martini bar. :( DH would insist on going to the CL. As for the cost of paying now, our drinks in the concierge lounge may have been complimentary, but the tip for the concierge often was enough to cover a week's worth of pre-dinner cocktails at one of the bars.

I will sorely miss having an espresso in a china cup with saucer whenever I felt like it. I won't pay for it and drink it out of a paper cup. Do the Seattle's Bests have the china, I wonder?

Leslie

The loss of the CL will not get us on the bigger ships. We sail for the itinerary and we are not Caribbean people, which is the only place (well, OK, Europe) that the bigger ships can go. So we'll stick with Radiance class ships and forgo the beloved cappuccinos. And we'll also look more seriously at other cruise lines, if the itinerary and price is right. If they take away the Diamond balcony discount we would definitely be out of here.

We select our cruises based on the itinerary, price and dates; however if there is a DL/CL onboard that's just an added bonus. We typically don't use all of the extra amenities/features that come with the larger ships and enjoy the quaintness of the smaller Radiance class ships.

same goes for us.

Having a CL has not impacted our cruise selection in the past and it won't in the future. When we have sailed on a ship with a CL we utilize it, but we do not plan our day around it. My last sailing was with 9 other friends, none of who were even platinum. I had cocktails with them in the other bars, not by myself in the CL! I pick a sailing for the itinerary, price and most of the time, the departure port. Most of our family is in FL, so I try to pick an itinerary that sails out of a FL port so I can stop and see family before or after the sailing. Most of our cruises have been on Vision ships without CLs and we have just as good a time on these ships. Do I like the CL, yes! But to me this whole thing is no different than airline miles.... you save and save and save your airline miles and get to the number of miles for a ticket and then the airline raises the number of miles needed! Disappointing, SURE! But it's a business decision they made and hopefully it was thought out so they know that some folks will got on another airline, or cruiseline as the case may be!

As for the cost of paying now, our drinks in the concierge lounge may have been complimentary, but the tip for the concierge often was enough to cover a week's worth of pre-dinner cocktails at one of the bars.

I thought that same thing as well. For those denied access to the CL, that is one less tip for the Concierge. Wonder if they are going to be happy having their tips reduced?

Nope. We have no real interest in the family friendly larger ships that do the same old tired, Eastern and Western itineraries. We do not make use of the flow rider, rock wall and other activity things anyway. We don't have kids. And we're certainly not flying all the way to Florida to sail on a mega ship.

We prefer the Radiance and Vision Class and unique itineraries, and longer cruise that fit into our work schedules. That said, we did just book a Radiance cruise to rather boring ports in order to get this Diamond + thing out of the way. :)

we would not sail those larger ships just to get use of a CL. First, we do not like the huge new ships, with promenades that look like some strip mall in suburbia. Second, because of their size and consequent inability to get into many ports, they end up doing the same old, same old eastern and western itineraries. But our loyalty to RCI is diminished to the same extent they have diminished their loyalty to many cruisers. Even if CL were important to us, as Diamonds we still could not acheive the CL. We are handicapped, require an HC cabin, and JS is the highest HC cabin available on RCI, and then there are only 2 of those so we book months ahead of time. I think that C&A may have slipped our anchor chains to the point where we will look around for a good substitute.:(

I have enjoyed meeting very interesting people in the CL. We travel by ourselves and prefer to sit at a table for two or very small. Most of RCCL ships are loaded with families with kids which we have nothing in common with. We were able to meet people in the CL that were in our age range and similar interest and work experience. We owned a travel agency years ago and would never have been in business if we treated our clients with so little respect. The perks of loyalty are gone. This is the new age I guess. The drinks were not as inportant as having a place to sit for breakfast and enjoy some peace and quite with out kids crying, parents yellings at their kids, food spilled and on and on. We have not gone on RCCL for their enrichment program as there is none. I was just about to book April 19th for the middle east in 2010 but now its time to find a new line. My first sailing on RCCL was on the Song of Norway. Getting too old for cheerleading and carnival games. bye RCCL

I'm too much of a Radiance class fan to get on the one of the big boys. I considered Voyager for next year just because it's close to home. However, when I looked further, I found Serenade doing a better itinerary for quite a bit less. Even with airfare, it's about the same price for the same week. I'll pick another cruiseline and pay less money for the fare to get my "free" drinks than get on a bigger ship.

This whole thing got my feathers ruffled.

We made Diamond on nothing but Vision class ships.

Now we're being told you cant the kind of passenger we want and thusly if you want to continue to enjoy these same benefits you'll have to move along with the other sheep to the larger ships.

Bu bye. We don't book the larger ships out of principle and to not be as many passengers. Smaller ships are our preference.

It will be years before we can make D+ and our cruising $$ may have to go elsewhere.

Not sure how much more of the cuts in perks and OBC I can justify to continue sailing RCCL, we tried CCL twice and hated it.

Another disgruntled passenger.

No, we would not book a Freedom class just for free booze. We are planning a B2B on the Oasis for the experience of this magnificent ship, not the free booze. we have grown tired of the Eastern and Western Caribbean and will probably not get off at any port. At this point in our cruising lives we are interested in and have been booking other itineraries on RCCL's smaller ships. However, with today's announcement, we will be booking those itineraries with other cruise lines. There is just something about taking away a perk that just doesn't sit right with us and if our response can be as simple as abandoning RCCL to return to other lines we like, then so be it.

Not just for the booze but it sure is a nice perk. This past cruise was the first time we really took advantage of the "happy hour" and we certainly enjoyed it. And the free drinks at the two C&A parties was nice too. And now it will be taken away...I guess 18 cruises with them isn't enough. However, we really like the Freedom class and are already booked on the Oasiss so we'll still get to take advantage of it. I also really liked being able to go early in the morning to the Diamond lounge and get a latte or cappuccino whenever I wanted it. All the small things can add up. (and let's not forget the chocolate covered strawberries at the "happy hour").

Absolutely NOT!

While there are still "smaller" ships around, we will continue to be looking at those.

Guess change is all around us, but we have the freedom to like it or not and to do something about it or not.

My choice is to accept it, avoid the larger ships, and be much more open to other brands.

Took one cruise on Liberty and have no desire to go back - too many people. Windjammer was way too crowded, long wait for elevators, etc. Oasis has my kids excited, but I have no interest in a cruise with 5,000 fellow passengers hitting the pier at the same time. Just a philosophical difference with where RCCL is going - I don't view the ship as the destination, but rather as my floating hotel taking me to destinations.

This will probably move me to other lines, which is OK. What drew us to RCCL was that the experience was great for a couple with two younger kids, but now that one is in college and the other in high school those family vacations are coming to an end. The charm of the CL was not a free drink, but rather the opportunity to visit with other interesting people who enjoyed cruising like we did.

To anyone who would book a cruise on one of the "big" ships just for access to the D lounge, keep in mind that those lounges could disappear with no more notice than the one we just received as the C&A program continues to make exciting changes for our benefit.

I agree with some of the other posters about not booking the mega-ships. We have cruised on more than 50 different ships including all the RCI classes except for the Freedom Class. We consider the Radiance Class to be our favorite of the current cruise ships and also like the Vista Class (i.e. Noordam) of HA since they are very similar to the Radiance Class. We have tried two Voyager Class ships (AOS and EOS) and found them too large, too impersonal, and more like Hyatt Regencies than cruise ships. Since we enjoy a ship that feels like a ship, it is unlikely we would again book those ships (or Freedom Class). As to our beloved Radiance Class, one of our favorite activites on those ships was socializing in the CL. Since that is no longer an option and since other cruise lines such as Princess and HA are now cheaper and overall have higher quality, it will be hard to justify returning to RCI. The lure of getting to Diamond Plus (we are not far from that perk) has lost its luster since there is no guarantee that RCI won't eventually take away those perks too.

Hank

We are Diamond & we do like the Freedom Class ships.

We are big drinkers & loved the DL. Of course our bar bill was still pretty hefty !! :) We eat at the late seating so it was perfect to go in at 5:00, get a couple drinks, have a bite to eat & meet some new people.

The new rule won't affect us much because......

We are booked on the B2B Oasis Inaugural in December.

We are then booked on the Freedom next January.

Those both have the DL.

We have been on all the big cruises that we ever wanted to go on.

So now we cruise just to be on the ship & go to the beach, relax, etc.

The Freedom is perfect for us. We love the ship & it goes out of Port Canaveral only an hour & a half from our house.

Archived