Flexible Dining to Roll Out Fleetwide on Carnival

this is great, great news for us. Really enjoy Carnival, and this has been the singular biggest reason we've been away for a while. "Anytime" works wonderfully for us on Princess, and it's totally changed how we schedule/relax/eat, everything... can't wait...

Its a great idea! We didn't like the forced dining time on Navigator...it didn't work well with the kids and early morning shore excursions. I wish it would be in place earlier as well since we are considering Carnival for a cruise with friends in the fall. We may go with NCL just for the anytime dining.

cool cruiser - not sure how accurate this is because we were told that the Valor will offer the anytime dining on our cruise in May. I had some concerns about it, so contacted my TA and he confirmed it, once again. I sure hope so, because I am looking forward to it too!

Is your cruise this May or May 2010? I ask because on the list provided above, it says Valor will have the anytime dining by summer 2010...could that be what your TA is confused about? I'm not saying your TA is wrong, but I just hope you won't be disappointed if he is (some TA's are much more cruise savvy than others...of course, you know your TA so hopefully he is right about this).

What do your documents say? Best of luck to you. :)

Oh, yeah, and WTH Cruzman....I LOVE OLIVE GARDEN!! :D

Its a great idea! We didn't like the forced dining time on Navigator...it didn't work well with the kids and early morning shore excursions. I wish it would be in place earlier as well since we are considering Carnival for a cruise with friends in the fall. We may go with NCL just for the anytime dining.

They are implementing it on Royal Caribbean fleetwide also. We have it on the Mariner next month.......

Carnival announced today it's rolling out a flexible dining plan called Your Choice Dining fleetwide by the end of 2010 -- and we doubt this is an April Fool's hoax. The dining program will let guests choose among early seating, late seating and My Time dining. The latter option lets cruisers dine whenever they want between 5:45 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.

What do you think of this new dining option? Has anyone tried it out on test ships Carnival Legend and Carnival Liberty? Tell us what you think.

We've experienced it several times on NCL and found it a plus. I think a lot of people (myself included) prefer to dine early on sea days and late on port days. That said, I do enjoy some things about fixed time - the same wait staff, of course, the way it brings the family or group you're traveling with together for dinner each night and it just seems to result in the feeling that dinner is more of an "event" if you know what I mean. Looks like Carnival is going to cover all bases, though.

I will miss regular dining. Being one with a severe nut allergy I like the peace of mind knowing that my waitstaff knows I have an allergy and I don't have to tell them every night.

It's enough to make me question crusing again.

For those of you who have tried Anytime Dining, how does tipping for the waitstaff work? Do you leave a tip after every meal or do you still tip tradionally, from your Sail & Sign account at the beginning of your cruise?

Thanks.

There is no change in tipping. It is still on your sail & sign. I believe they must figure out who gets the tips. They take your room # when you are seated, so I guess they log your table # as well.

I will miss regular dining. Being one with a severe nut allergy I like the peace of mind knowing that my waitstaff knows I have an allergy and I don't have to tell them every night.

They are not getting rid of traditional dining. They are just adding anytime dining.

One of the things that I really enjoy about cruising is getting to know my tablemates and my waitstaff. I like not having to think about what time or where to eat dinner. As such, I will continue to choose traditional dining. However, I think that the more flexible dining option is good option for cruisers who don't like to be on such a time schedule.

You still have a choice. You can choose from traditional early, traditional late or anytime dining.

I think it's a great option to dining for those that want it.

I did Anytime Dining on my two Princess cruises. The first time we ended up making a standing reservation with the same people and same waiter at the same time when we found an awesome waiter on the first night. The 2nd time we made reservations each night, but at different times based on port times, and had different wait staff. We didn't care for the different wait staff.

I thought I would love Anytime, but I found I'm really a traditional gal. But I love that everyone has the option to do what's best for them. :) I think it will actually help the wait staff, as there were people who didn't want to eat in the dining room and would remove the tips since they never went. Those tables will now be filled with people who actually want the traditional experience.

Looks like you can still get to know your wait staff if you desire with the open seating.

Found on John Heald's blog (emphasis mine)

"Your Time guests are able to request any table size or waiter and are typically seated immediately when arriving at the dining room. However, if a modest wait time is required, guests are given a pager so they are free to relax elsewhere on the ship until their table is ready."

Are we sure this is not an Aprils Fool thing??? I checked Carnival's website, and I found nothing on this subject??

it's not an april fools joke... it was on john's blog today:

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/04/01/john-heald-resigns-from-carnival-cruise-lines-and-joims-rcl/

now granted, the title of this post IS an april fools joke... but here's the press release from carnival:

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES INTRODUCES NEW “YOUR CHOICE DINING” PROGRAM

Guests to be Offered Choice of Three Different Seating Options, Including “Your Time” Open Seating, Fleetwide

MIAMI (April 1, 2009) – Carnival Cruise Lines has launched “Your Choice Dining” which provides a selection of three different dinner seating options for guests aboard the line’s 22-ship fleet. In addition to Early or Late assigned seating, the cruise line is rolling out “Your Time” open seating to accommodate individual guest preferences. Also, under the new Your Choice Dining program, dining assignments will be confirmed at the time of booking.

“We have been experimenting with an open seating dinner option on a few ships since the latter part of 2008,” said Roberta Jacoby, Carnival’s senior vice president of hotel operations. “Exceptional guest feedback to the pilot program and an indication from the vast majority of those participating that they would choose that option again has prompted the decision to extend open seating fleetwide. At the same time, we felt it was important to also enhance the dining program overall by confirming dining assignments at the time of booking. We believe that our new Your Choice Dining Program will prove to be an extremely popular enhancement to the Carnival vacation experience,” Jacoby added.

Your Time open seating, currently available on five ships, will be implemented one vessel at a time over the next several months as modifications in dining room table configurations are completed on each ship.

“In making the decision to introduce Your Time dining, we felt it was imperative that we be able to offer guests the option to sit only with those individuals they prefer and that requires reconfiguring a section of the dining rooms on each ship to incorporate smaller table arrangements,” said Jacoby. “This is an important distinction as some lines still group people together under their open seating programs.”

An additional eight ships are scheduled to be converted by the end of year and the balance of the fleet by summer 2010. Confirmed dining assignments are now being offered fleetwide.

At the time of booking, guests will be asked to choose from among Early dining at 6pm, Late dining at 8:15 pm or Your Time dining which allows guests to dine at any time between 5:45pm and 9:30pm (if applicable depending on ship and sailing date). Dining assignments will be accommodated on a first-come, first-serve basis according to when guests made their reservation.

If the preferred dining choice is not available, guests may confirm an alternate choice and be placed on a waitlist for their first preference. Waitlists will be cleared prior to sailing and guests will be notified via email of their confirmed seating assignment.

As Your Time dining is implemented on each ship, guests already booked will be contacted via email or through their travel agent and provided the opportunity to switch to Your Time dining or retain their original choice.

Your Time guests are able to request any table size or waiter and are typically seated immediately when arriving at the dining room. However, if a modest wait time is required, guests are given a pager so they are free to relax elsewhere on the ship until their table is ready.

Additional options available under Your Choice Dining include extensive poolside eateries offering a wide variety of cuisine choices in a casual environment and, on a number of ships, elegant, reservations-only restaurants serving fine quality dry-aged U.S.D.A. prime steaks and other dishes in an intimate, upscale atmosphere.

Below is a timetable for the introduction of Your Time open seating throughout the Carnival fleet:

• Already implemented:

• End of April:

• Mid-June:

• Late September:

• Mid-October:

• Mid-December:

• February 2010:

• By summer 2010:
and

Carnival is the largest and most popular cruise line in the world, with 22 “Fun Ships” operating voyages ranging from three to 16 days in length to
, Europe and Bermuda. The line currently has two new ships scheduled for delivery between now and 2011. The first of those, the 130,000-ton Carnival Dream, is set to debut Sept. 21, 2009.

For additional information or reservations, contact a travel agent, call 1-800-CARNIVAL or visit carnival.com

it's not an april fools joke... it was on john's blog today:

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/04/01/john-heald-resigns-from-carnival-cruise-lines-and-joims-rcl/

now granted, the title of this post IS an april fools joke... but here's the press release from carnival:

CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES INTRODUCES NEW “YOUR CHOICE DINING” PROGRAM

Guests to be Offered Choice of Three Different Seating Options, Including “Your Time” Open Seating, Fleetwide

MIAMI (April 1, 2009) – Carnival Cruise Lines has launched “Your Choice Dining” which provides a selection of three different dinner seating options for guests aboard the line’s 22-ship fleet. In addition to Early or Late assigned seating, the cruise line is rolling out “Your Time” open seating to accommodate individual guest preferences. Also, under the new Your Choice Dining program, dining assignments will be confirmed at the time of booking.

If the preferred dining choice is not available, guests may confirm an alternate choice and be placed on a waitlist for their first preference. Waitlists will be cleared prior to sailing and guests will be notified via email of their confirmed seating assignment.

Interesting also, that under the new program they will be confirming dining assignment at the time you book. Looks like no more waiting until you are onboard to find out for sure what time you will be dining. This must have been the source of the recent waitlist "glitch" showing on everyone's bookings. They must have been test driving the new software.

I think it's great that Carnival is making these options available.

What do you think of this new dining option? Tell us what you think.

why not add a poll to this thread? seems pretty ideally suited to one, and would yield results of an unscientific market research focus group, in effect...

this is how i'd see preferences split into categories:

1) I love Your Choice Dining - and definitely will select Open Seating always

2) I love Your Choice Dining - and may select Open Seating sometimes

3) I like Your Choice Dining - but will select Traditional at all times

4) I'm indifferent - I'm fine with either option, and don't really care

5) I'm indifferent - I only eat in the buffet anyway

6) I don't like Your Choice Dining - but happy I can still choose Traditional

7) I hate Your Choice Dining - but I guess I'll have to adapt

8) I hate Your Choice Dining - and I won't sail Carnival because of it!

if they don't add a poll - feel free to respond with your preference - maybe we can tally them up later :D

[/indent]Interesting also, that under the new program they will be confirming dining assignment at the time you book. Looks like no more waiting until you are onboard to find out for sure what time you will be dining. This must have been the source of the recent waitlist "glitch" showing on everyone's bookings. They must have been test driving the new software.

I think it's great that Carnival is making these options available.

exactly - there hasn't been much talk about that - but you're correct. they're now confirmed at time of booking, which is how a 'waitlist' is possible... they haven't said that outright re: the 'glitch'... but, duh.

i think lots of people will be happy with the fact that dining reservations are confirmed first come first served. though i wonder what the implications for last minute platinum bookings would be? i'm not (by a long shot) but i haven't seen that question posed yet with this new system.

still though, whatever the implications, the vast majority of ccl customers were just granted an additional 'perk'

2) I love Your Choice Dining - and may select Open Seating sometimes

this is my vote. :cool:

i won't say at all times - i suppose part would be based on who i cruise with. but overall, i like the idea and would be likely to select it. i'd probably come around the same time and ideally request the same waiter, though. but if the first is a dudd, i certainly wouldn't request them again, which in itself is it's own benefit - lack of guilt for switching tablemates or wait staff.

even if i have to wait 10 minutes... so what? if you've been to any even mainstream restaurant (think olive garden / carrabba's) that's quite typical. the last time i stopped at a carrabba's (first time in a long while) there was a 45 minute wait.

Archived