Flexible Dining to Roll Out Fleetwide on Carnival

Long waits and poor service, how exciting, I cant wait. What really got me excited was reading about the buzzers they will hand out.

Yep....Sounds a little like going to Applebee's......:rolleyes:

I think it is great that everyone now has their choice...!:) Us, we prefer a set time.. Traditional 'Late' is our choice!!:D

I agree, this is great for those who have been wanting it. I prefer the late seating and like to have the same wait staff so I'm glad they are keeping the traditional option, I hope they never decide to do away with it.

What do you all think the wait time will be like for this new dining? I guessing the early and later end of the the time frame will be slow but that coveted 6-7p time may be popular!

We were on NCL in Hawaii and loved the concept of anytime dining. We were able see the islands without having to plan on hurrying back for dinner at a set schedule. However, we did see some problems. First would be that everyone seems to want to eat when you want to. So there would be a line to get a pager and then the wait could be 30-60 min. just to get seated. You would get whatever table was available and a different waiter each night. The waiters seemed disorganized beacuse they had one table on desert, one on soup,etc. So you do get the Olive Garden feel, because they hurry to get you in and out since there are many people waiting. There was a definite restraunt feel as people were constantly coming and going. You lose that elegant dining feel that many cruisers like. I will use the anytime dining as long as the food and service are equal to the traditional dining.

I am glad Carnival is making the attempt to listen to their customers and roll out anytime dining. My family will stick to the traditional early seating. We are always back on the ship early when in port, and have never felt rushed to make early seating. We enjoy having the same wait staff/drink server, and enjoy sitting with just ourselves. (it is the only time we get to "re-connect" as a family.) Maybe we will try it on a future cruise, but for our next one (at least) we will stick to the "old" way!

How is this going to work with the shows?

We like having the late seating and then going to the show. If most people choose like us, there will be a longer wait time. That ends up being a 'hurry and eat so we wont be late"

They had it on the Liberty in February. Our group prefers traditional and so do I. I want to make sure I have the same waiters every night. I love joking with them and getting a rapport. As long as they have both choices I'll be happy!

I am sailing on the Valor 4-10 and really hoping they have open dining by then. We usually eat around 7 most nites so both traditional times offered are too early or too late. We would love to have the open seating. It also works better so you don't have to rush from a port or hurry if you are laying by the pool. We tried the late 1 time for those reasons but found it was just TOO late for us. Hey Carnival...Hurry up and set up the tables on Valor:D

I can have a modest wait at home, I don't need it on a ship. I feel that the grats should not be offered if this is going to be a Applebee's type of dining. This (Traditional Dinning) is one of the things I cruise for.

I think it's a crock and another way for the cruise lines to manipulate the passengers...We are capitive once we leave dock LOL.

Long waits and poor service, how exciting, I cant wait. What really got me excited was reading about the buzzers they will hand out.

There is a simple solution for disbelievers..........you just stick with traditional dining and everyone will be happy....

I think it's a crock and another way for the cruise lines to manipulate the passengers...We are captive once we leave dock LOL.

Wow didn't know by giving more choices it was a way of manipulating passengers..........those horrible, horrible cruise lines......

As a solo cruiser, I prefer late traditional dining, but I appreciate that they're giving passengers more choices. I just hope that folks don't take up a place in traditional and then think they can move between both options at will. I hope Carnival will control this.

The only part that makes me sad is that I wish they were going to already have this option in place for my upcoming cruise in July! :) I think it's a great idea - I'm looking forward to the flexibility.

We have always opted for the late dining seating because we don't like to feel rushed while we're out exploring the ports....but at the same time, it's just a tad too late because I'm always hungry before 8 pm.

We prefer late seating as well (we have tried late and early seating) It does seem that you are a bit rushed with the early seating. But my hubby has us on a schedule it goes like this:

6:00 a.m. - room service (coffee, danishes, fruit and juice)

8:00 a.m. (or whenever dining room opens) - Breakfast

12:00 p.m. - lunch

3:30/4:00 p.m. - snack (usually a slice of Pizza, Sandwhich or for me the buffett)

8:15 p.m. - dinner

And I wonder why the jeans I was fitting so comfortably in prior to the cruise doesn't fit when we leave the cruise:ohehehehehehe

Ok, no flames please..

If a platinum or higher guest picks the My Time Dining will they get head of line status? At this time we are guaranteed the dining times we request. How will this work with the "My Time"?

Can someone explain how the gratuities work then with flexible dining? What if we want a table for two, do ask and then wait for a table to open?

With anytime dining, you present your S&S card when you arrive at the dining room, and they bring up your cabin number. When they seat you, the gratuities go to the waiters in that section.

Yes, you can ask for a table for 2. If there isn't one available right then, you may have to wait for one to open up. You can also ask for the same waiters each night if you find someone you really like. Again, it may involve a slightly longer wait, but sounds like most people have not been experiencing wait times that are very long.

For those who are upset with this new option, I don't understand. If you prefer traditional dining, just go ahead and stick with traditional. I happen to like traditional also. But, for those who don't want traditional.....I'm glad they are adding the anytime dining. Win win situation......everybody's happy. :)

I would be for the anytime. We end up eating at the buffet and not going to the diningroom at all. We basically eat when we want, not at a specific time. We have never gone and had the tips taken off of our bill either, like I have read that some do. It is our choice. Since Carnival has the dining option or the buffet, we are easy to please. :)

Carnival announced today it's rolling out a flexible dining plan called Your Choice Dining fleetwide by the end of 2010 -- and we doubt this is an April Fool's hoax. The dining program will let guests choose among early seating, late seating and My Time dining. The latter option lets cruisers dine whenever they want between 5:45 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.

What do you think of this new dining option? Has anyone tried it out on test ships Carnival Legend and Carnival Liberty? Tell us what you think.

I prefer traditional late seating - gives me time to unwind from a shore excursion and, if I get hungry beforehand, there's always Lido deck snacks or room service!

This is a good question -- we're told it's first come, first served, but I'll find out for you if past passenger status has anything to do with dining assignments to this new program.

Ok, no flames please..

If a platinum or higher guest picks the My Time Dining will they get head of line status? At this time we are guaranteed the dining times we request. How will this work with the "My Time"?

There is a simple solution for disbelievers..........you just stick with traditional dining and everyone will be happy....

Wow didn't know by giving more choices it was a way of manipulating passengers..........those horrible, horrible cruise lines......

I just DON'T understand why so many people get so upset over a change that doesn't even affect them!! Carnival hasn't said they are changing the ENTIRE fleet to just open dining, but yet posters act as if they have no choice now. I agree it's just horrible:rolleyes: how they are forcing us to have more choices and possibly making even more passengers happy in the process. I'm glad Carnival is willing to try new things and to try to make more people happy in the process. I'm excited to give this new dining system a whirl and worst case scenerio I decide I like the traditional better and make sure I sign up for it when I book a cruise in the future.

This is a good question -- we're told it's first come, first served, but I'll find out for you if past passenger status has anything to do with dining assignments to this new program.

Hi Melissa~

Thanks for noticing my little question. I appreciate you checking it out for me.

I assume there may be some lines at prime times, but would like to try it out.

Thanks Again!;)

Archived