Cunard line is a division of and managed by princess cruises?

Savoia

I read online today that Princess cruises not only runs Cunard but manages them and has designed the Queen Victoria and the Queen Elizabeth! I've always felt that Cunard's "cache" was dimming in recent years and if this is true now I know why. Like so many Carnival brands Cunard I felt has been watered down and really seems more generic than exclusive. The company in no way justifies the premiums they charge...which Carnival approaches like a hunter to their clients.

What a terrible disappointment to find out Cunard is a division of Princess but I am in no way surprised. I got my cruise in on the QE2 and have no reason to patronize Carnival anymore.

We have just booked our first Cunard voyage and find that our Princess number is also our Cunard number and the web sites have many similarities...the address and fax are the same for sending CCL stock ownership documentation for the OBC. Looks like it to me........

I understood Carnival was the company who owned P&O, Princess, Cunard, Yachts of Seabourne etc, rather than Princess owning Cunard. It has been this way for many years now. It is much like RCCI owning Celebrity.

The point is Princess and Cunard are owned by Carnival but Princess manages everything about Cunard, designs their ships and operates them. What is Cunard then? a brand of Princess cruises operation? Ugh..but not surprising.

Sorry, but no. This is not the way the line is operated at all.

Alan Buckelew (sp) is the President of Princess Cruises. He is in California.

Carol Marlow is the President of Cunard. She is in Southampton.

Carnival Corporation has an in-house design team which oversees all brand construction.

The QV and new QE are based on the Vista class hull.. which is also used by Holland America.. which is a revision of the Spirit class hull of Carnival ships...........and it's also been used for P&O.

In Santa Clarita, CA... the Cunard rez staff is on one floor, Princess rez staff on another. There is also Cunard rez staff in Seattle, WA as well. And you also have Cunard rez staff operating out of Southampton using the UK tariffs.

Inventory and revenue management for Cunard are located in Southampton. For Princess.. Santa Clarita.

Carnival Corporation owns very distinct brands......and keeps them very distinct.

You are not answering the question.

Cunard is managed, designed and operated by Princess Cruises..Carol Marlow reports to P&O's President. Cunard's design team is infact the same design time that worls for P&O Cruises. Costa/Carnival are Farcus territory and Holland America has its own overseas interior team.

While the corporate set up appears to be seperate..it was established by Princess Cruises! Cunard does not run itself..it is a wholly operated subsidary of Princess who inturn is operated by Carnival. This was done by Carnival itself after the QM2s teething problems.

I can see why..now..when many people say the Queen Victoria is "very Princess"..she is a Princess operated ship!

Sorry, but no. This is not the way the line is operated at all.

Alan Buckelew (sp) is the President of Princess Cruises. He is in California.

Carol Marlow is the President of Cunard. She is in Southampton.

Carnival Corporation has an in-house design team which oversees all brand construction.

The QV and new QE are based on the Vista class hull.. which is also used by Holland America.. which is a revision of the Spirit class hull of Carnival ships...........and it's also been used for P&O.

In Santa Clarita, CA... the Cunard rez staff is on one floor, Princess rez staff on another. There is also Cunard rez staff in Seattle, WA as well. And you also have Cunard rez staff operating out of Southampton using the UK tariffs.

Inventory and revenue management for Cunard are located in Southampton. For Princess.. Santa Clarita.

Carnival Corporation owns very distinct brands......and keeps them very distinct.

And the inventory locations you named were infact set up by...Princess Cruises!!! The level of seperation you you try to convey are very few...and Cunard has suffered as a result.

CUNARD is not a division of Princess. Commercial oversight for CUNARD resides in Southampton under Carnival UK.

There are Sales, Customer Service, Marketing and Public Relations associates who work in Santa Clarita (aka Valencia) for CUNARD but they report over to Carnival UK.

FACTOID: If it wasn't for Carnival Corp and the investment of Micky Arison there would be no CUNARD, no $800 million QM2, no $700 million QV and no $800+ million new Queen Elizabeth.

Carnival nor Princess have "damaged" the CUNARD brand. If anything the executive and management of both organizations have contributed to the preservation and future of CUNARD.

Apparently, you do not know the history of this arrangement-

After QM2 entered service- the reviews were awful due to the horrible service onboard because Cunard had no talent pool to dip into (apart from a few from QE2)... Carnival decided until Cunard could become self-sustaining, it would be put under Princess' umbrella.

Now, staff rotates between the two and Princess helps in anyway it can to return Cunard back to a strong brand itself...

You are not answering the question.

Cunard is managed, designed and operated by Princess Cruises..Carol Marlow reports to P&O's President. Cunard's design team is infact the same design time that worls for P&O Cruises. Costa/Carnival are Farcus territory and Holland America has its own overseas interior team.

While the corporate set up appears to be seperate..it was established by Princess Cruises! Cunard does not run itself..it is a wholly operated subsidary of Princess who inturn is operated by Carnival. This was done by Carnival itself after the QM2s teething problems.

I can see why..now..when many people say the Queen Victoria is "very Princess"..she is a Princess operated ship!

Seems you know in detail all the "answers" to your own "questions." Must have been an extremely comprehensive "online" article.;) Or perhaps you are just here to stir something up?:D You believe the standards of Cunard have slipped and you seem to attribute this to Princess. Perhaps your views should be expressed on the Princess boards, the apparent culprit in this desecration?

CUNARD is not a division of Princess. Commercial oversight for CUNARD resides in Southampton under Carnival UK.

There are Sales, Customer Service, Marketing and Public Relations associates who work in Santa Clarita (aka Valencia) for CUNARD but they report over to Carnival UK.

FACTOID: If it wasn't for Carnival Corp and the investment of Micky Arison there would be no CUNARD, no $800 million QM2, no $700 million QV and no $800+ million new Queen Elizabeth.

Carnival nor Princess have "damaged" the CUNARD brand. If anything the executive and management of both organizations have contributed to the preservation and future of CUNARD.

WRONG!

Cunard USA staff DO NOT report to Carnival UK at all. Like Carol Marlow and P&O's director they report to P&O's Presdient. They in no way shape or form report to Carnival UK. They speak obviously but not in the fashion you are leading people to believe.

And yes we all know what a savour Mr. Arison is. But exactly how many Vista hulls are we going to see? Built and designed by the same people, decorated and supplied by the same people. The only difference is what color Mr. Arison decides to slap on the stack. In the case of Holland America, how many more Vistas will we see named Nieuw Amsterdam? Is this the 2nd or 3 rd ship named this now? With all this repitition when do we ever see something different?

With Cunard Princess Cruises's influence is undeniable. The new QE is simply another clone of the QV...a picture perfect example of assembly line production. Minimal differences but very cleverly marketed! To each their own but what makes Cunard so special? Not much..a Princess managed and designed company.

Difference and variety is obvioulsy equated with expense and Carnival will have none of it...and it shows.

Care to share a link to this online story?

Yes, that would be helpful. Then again, why ruin a potentially lively dust-up with facts, as we all know the Internet is completely trustworthy, and reporters (even those not at The Times) are renowned for objectivity and no hidden agendas.:cool:

One thing I will observe is that Princess send me about 10 times the amount of paper mail come-ons than Cunard (despite my attempts to un-subscribe). And distribute much more paper promotions to the cabin (at least did so back when I last sailed them). And have volumes more loudspeaker announcements (Art Auction! Dicey Horse Racing! Blah, blah, blah). I do hope these innovations do not trickle down and enlighten we fools willing, without apparent justification, to pay the premiums that Cunard foist upon us.;)

Difference and variety is obvioulsy equated with expense and Carnival will have none of it...and it shows.

OK, so we read that RCCL was incenting positive reviews. Are they now doing likewise for freelance PR professionals?:D

Perhaps to end the discussion,

Now why would we want to do that, just when things are getting interesting? You know, some of us enjoy wasting a Friday in just such discussions, particularly with the market moving sideways.:D

WRONG!

Might I ask how many times you have had the opportunity to see how it "shows" by actually sailing on Cunard? And as asked before, would you please provide us with the link to your "article"?

I have sailed with Princess. And I've also sailed with Cunard and two of the sailings have been within the past 8 months. From what I have experienced, there is almost no resemlance between the two lines.

Last October I was on the QM2 and the hotel manager told me Carnival Corp put Cunard under supervision of the Princess organisation as for example the hotel department of QM2 was a complete mess.

Food and service on the QM2 was very good. It did have a lot Princess characteristics though , but not bad though. The Purser's Offce was one the best organized and friendliest I've ever encountered.

QV and the new QE are designed by the in house Princess architect which I find a little less successful. Therese Andersen might not be as gross as Farcus is but it's still highly predictable and kitchy. And it looks very Princess. (I am led to believe it nicer than HAL though)

I believe the Princess/Cunard story now is all about sharing and cutting costs. Financially it might work but it makes it all a little bland.

The new QE is simply another clone of the QV...a picture perfect example of assembly line production.

So what in the name of all that's holy is wrong with assembly production all of a sudden. With the global economy heading for Hell in a handcart, you'd better make the best job you can of these much reviled "assembly line ships" because there sure as blazes isn't going to be any other kind (except for a few beautfully handcrafted specimens littering the beach at Alang).

J

I read online today that Princess cruises not only runs Cunard but manages them and has designed the Queen Victoria and the Queen Elizabeth! I've always felt that Cunard's "cache" was dimming in recent years and if this is true now I know why. Like so many Carnival brands Cunard I felt has been watered down and really seems more generic than exclusive. The company in no way justifies the premiums they charge...which Carnival approaches like a hunter to their clients.

What a terrible disappointment to find out Cunard is a division of Princess but I am in no way surprised. I got my cruise in on the QE2 and have no reason to patronize Carnival anymore.

O.K. - that's your choice.You seem to have a down on Carnival so take your business elsewhere and ignore anything remotely connected with that business. That way, you will be happy and it won't eat away at you and cause you such stress. Relax :D

Link?

Question - how many times have you sailed either line & which ships?

In my experience, the GOLDEN PRINCESS was a fine product, but very different from QUEEN VICTORIA.....

I'm getting really confused with all tis.

Do the crise ships have sails? Don't they have enines?

I'm getting really confused with all tis.

Do the crise ships have sails? Don't they have enines?

Hello, Michelle. May I call you Michelle? I know we have not been properly introduced, but I noted you disclosed your name in your post #3 on another thread. Welcome! I'm Michael - as my French teacher used to say "Michele, avec une el."

Anyhoo, "sailed on" is a phrase used by many Cunard passengers who shiver at the thought of saying "cruised." As until recently, the Cunard ships were all (mostly) ocean liners (think QM, QE2, QM2). As distinguished from cruise ships like, well, pretty much all the rest. It's in the architecture and engineering. Others on here can give you a much more apt description of the core distinctions, so I will not try.

In any case, do try Cunard and have a wonderful voyage (note, not cruise, tee hee).

Apparently, you do not know the history of this arrangement-

After QM2 entered service- the reviews were awful due to the horrible service onboard because Cunard had no talent pool to dip into (apart from a few from QE2)... Carnival decided until Cunard could become self-sustaining, it would be put under Princess' umbrella.

Now, staff rotates between the two and Princess helps in anyway it can to return Cunard back to a strong brand itself...

This is also what I've been told. :o

Archived