Would you take a cruise that calls in Cuba if the travel embargo is lifted?

kimmiekaz

Would you take a cruise that calls in Cuba if the travel embargo is lifted?  

987 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take a cruise that calls in Cuba if the travel embargo is lifted?

• I’d be the first to book -- we’d be making history
    • Definitely, I’m tired of all the other Caribbean ports
    • Yes, I hear it’s a beautiful island
    • No, I don’t support Communist governments
    • No, a cruise wouldn’t give me enough time to explore this country
    • Maybe -- it depends on the rest of the itinerary
    • Something else (which I’ll post)

Without a doubt yes. I would sign up within the first year. The announcment made by the current administration this week is a step in the right direction. Hopefully it will realize that the cold war policies in place for almost 50 years are archaic and real change will be implemented.

I have no doubt that American's will be able to travel to Cuba in the not too distant future. Having been there, we recognize the fact that Cuba is simply not ready to receive cruise ship passengers.

ah, this is what I was looking for. How long do you think it will take Carnival to build one of their cruise docks? And how long to import taxi's that will actually get you from one side of the island to the other? Cuba may be a place to visit for random Candian or European visitors but a ship with 3000 demanding American's? I don't think so, and oh yes, I am one of those. Politics aside, the island is not ready for us.

Would I go though if it was - probably. I've always thought that if we had not had the embargo that Cuba would have been free long ago.

More like random U.S. citizens and LOTS of Canadian and European travelers. Cuba is quite ready for vacationers, although, yes, U.S. citizens will have to get over themselves and realize they are in servant-land when visiting. :D

You are correct Mike. Debbie; you need to read a book.

Cuba is the forth most popular overseas destination for Canadians. In 2005, approximately 600,000 Canadian tourists visited Cuba. There were approximately 125 flights from Canada to Cuba per week during high season.

If the cruise lines can stop at every fishing village on the Alaskan coast (where absolutely everything is brought in, including tour bus drivers) they can certainly stop in Cuba.

signed

Random Canadian Cruiser

Agree, and imo if it "opened up" unfortuntately it would be like many Caribbean "cruise" islands...crowded and beauty spoiled.

out of all the polictical replies, this statement is the truest. Once the US comes in they will try to change Cuba just like they try to change every other country that doesnt follow "their ways"

I posted this map on another forum, to give U.S. citizens an idea of development of the Varadero area with all inclusive hotels:

771849-Varadero_Map-Varadero.jpg

When and if laws change for U.S. tourism to Cuba, there will be infrastructure. There are cruise ships currently visiting the island; they are simply not of Oasis of the Seas size. However, there is no guarantee the Cuban government will allow docking in Havana for cruise ships catering to U.S. tourists. The powers that be may prefer to keep U.S. visitors in the current tourist zone. Please note: this is pure speculation on my part.

That is exactly one of the issues: the money will stay in the hands of the communist government. Today, those that work in the hotels and resorts open to the European and Canadian tourism (as well as those American that cheat our government by visiting through a third country), do not see the money. As I stated earlier, the large corporation owners of the hotels pay the Cuban government thousands of dollars for "staff services", then the government pays the cuban employees minimum cuban wages in cuban pesos, a total rip-off!!

As to the embargo, obviously it has not worked. But the answer is not in providing the government more money to enlarge their european bank accounts while the people are lacking the most basic rights to a decent job with fair wages, a clean roof over their heads, right to free speech and religion/worship, a nutritious diet, etc.

Did anyone of you know that milk is only given (per rationing book) when available only to very young children? Did you know that parents do not have a choice to the education their children receive? Did you know that if you want to purchase a refrigerator, you must have worked "voluntarily" for the government, no wages, every weekend of your life in order to earn a certificate giving you the "right" to purchase the appliance in USD only?

I am a Registered Nurse and I have witnessed young women bring their "medical records" indicating a history of multiple abortions (as many as 20!) by the time they reach the age of 30! I have also witnessed young pregnant woman who has never taken a prenatal vitamin because even though it has been ordered by the OB/GYN, it is not available in Cuba!

I'm sure that you have never watched the shows of today's Cuba when the people's home have not been painted in over 30 yrs, the appliances are from the 50s, electricity and water is only available for a few hours a day, certain days of the week.... I have witnessed women and men cry when they have seen a bath soap and warm water coming out of the shower!

My neighbor's mother-in-law came from Cuba last November. Her husband (a graduated attorney from Univ of Havana) worked as a bus boy in a well known hotel in Havana. This woman had never taken a shower in her life, she had to carry water in a bucket (when available) in order to shower....

Believe, my fellow cruising friends, these people willl not see the port charges, will not get your tips, will not get your money.

This new "free travel" to Cuba will only be another sad sabotage to human feelings: take advantage of those with parents, children, etc. in Cuba that will do anything to attempt to ease their suffering lives. And lets not forget, the money that goes to Cuba does not stimulate USA economy either....

To those that feel that "opening up" will encourage the people to fight for change, trust me, it will not work. Does it work in China? Does it work in Venezuela? Does it work in Viet Nam? Of course not, because the people live with such fear that they will never attempt been "marked" as a disident...

Eventually, laws/regulations/embargos will change, be lifted...The Castro family will have more money... The change has to come from within because those now living in Cuba haver never known anything else but communism and all of us outside of the island are "the evil maffia". They only reason they smile at Europeans and Canadians is because they can take their money in the resorts and in prostitution of the beautiful Cuban young women and young men.

Lord knows nothing will make me happier that to witness the communist system fail...but Cuba is surrounded by water not a wall....Cuba does not have oil, sugar and tobacco can be purchases elsewhere...

This will be the last posting on this subject I will be contributing. This subject will never be agreed upon because unless you have suffered communism in your own skin, you will never understand.....

AlinaMaria

The last time we were in Cuba we seen a guy around 30 purchasing a fridge. Why would the Cuban doctors perscribe prenatal vitamins knowing none are available in Cuba???

What is servant-land?

I mean to say "realize they are NOT in servant-land" meaning when U.S. citizens travel, they have to sometimes get over their innate sense of entitlement and believe that the entire world revolves around their desires.

First of all, I have only just had the chance to read this thread through (just returned from Botswana - landlocked and so not a cruise!!), and I would like to say what a refreshing change it is that such a long thread on what I can see is a difficult subject for some of my New World cousins, has been so polite and constructive, and has not descended into "points scoring" as some threads do.

As UK citizens, we have visited Cuba, partly for the uniqueness other posters have commented on - it's big, it's varied, has stunning Spanish Colonial architecture, great birdwatching, old and newer history, its own flavour of music, and there is no doubt in my mind that it can and should be a prime destination, provided the politicos can come to a compromise acceptable to all.

As a couple of earlier posters have commented, it would be nice if, when the place opens up, the smell of money does not encourage headlong and haphazard "development" which may destroy the very singular nature Cuba currently has. (Don't knock down a slightly unkempt Cuban bar to build a bright, shiny Macdonalds on the main street could be the message. I'm not saying don't modernise - we like a Big Mac too - just do it sympathetically).

I do hope the current moves by the US start a process with a good ending for all, and that those of you currently unable to visit Cuba get to go there before too long.

Don't knock down a slightly unkempt Cuban bar to build a bright, shiny Macdonalds on the main street could be the message. I'm not saying don't modernise - we like a Big Mac too - just do it sympathetically

Agreed. Last thing is the Caribbean needs is another Carlos & Charlies or Margaritaville spoiling the local flavor.

Without getting into the politics of it ..yes I would cruise to Cuba ..having visited there twice and loved it , I would go back in a heartbeat ...the place is changing and changing fast so to see it sooner rather than later would be my hope

Called in at Havana and Santiago de Cuba on Airtours ' Sundream ' maybe 7 or 8 years ago. A great visit, also an ' Eyeopener ' we had many Americans onboard who enjoyed all on offer. Definately go back one day.

Tongue in cheek - the thing Cuba has going for it is no Macdonalds, Starbucks, Arby's etc.

Please do not set up shop there, Come visit and leave it as it is!!

I have nothing against Macdonalds, Starbucks, Arbys etc. - it's just nice to visit a place like Cuba that is untouched by the familiar. ;)

As I said on another thread, I was there as a teen just before Castro conquered. At that time we really thought he was a good guy. Oh well. I do remember Veradero Beach and I do remember how beautiful it was. I would love to see it again, but not modernized and americanized...but it's own private self...

Yes, wages are low and times are hard everywhere. Any Caribbean Island has its own particular problems and beauty.

817-grey.gif

I think this is a wonderful story. From today's Globe & Mail - a Canadian newspaper based in Toronto Ontario

Thursday April 16, 2009

Castro taking her fortune she understood, the U.S. embargo of Cuba was tougher

After the revolution, Newfoundland-born woman stayed in her Havana mansion as it decayed around her

J.M. SULLIVAN

Special to The Globe and Mail

April 16, 2009

ST. JOHN'S -- She was elegant, refined, cultured - a perfect society hostess and an implacable symbol of protest against the U.S. embargo of Cuba.

Mary McCarthy Gomez Cueto, the Newfoundland-born widow of a wealthy Cuban businessman, had one fortune confiscated in the 1959 Cuban revolution and a second cache impounded by the 1962 U.S. trade ban on Cuba.

She forgave the former but never the latter, and her one-woman plight became an international campaign that finally, in 2007, caused the American stand to soften just enough for her to withdraw $96 (U.S.) every month from a First National Bank account in Boston. The money was released for medical reasons.

Although Ms. McCarthy was a remarkably alert and sprightly centenarian, she suffered a broken hip in 2002 and was in a wheelchair. She remained a delicate yet resilient living page of multinational political history.

She was one of two daughters born to Thomas J. McCarthy and Ann Burke. Mr. McCarthy was a grocer with a store on Water Street, in close proximity to the fishing fleets docked in the harbour, a major clientele.

Ms. McCarthy's sister died very young. Left an only child, she attended Mercy Convent, where the Sisters of Mercy ran a strong and celebrated music program, and later attended Littledale College. After graduating, she continued her musical studies in Boston, studying at the Boston Conservatory of Music and staying at St. Joseph's Convent.

In that city, she met the debonair and rich Pedro Gomez Cueto, a Spanish entrepreneur who made his fortune manufacturing and exporting leather goods from the U.S. to South America, and was 15 years her senior.

"The first night I was at the opera, a very charming gentleman came and sat next to me," Ms. McCarthy recalled in Witness to the Revolution, a radio documentary by the CBC's Marie Wadden. Their two-year courtship, which was often accompanied by musical concerts, was closely supervised by St. Joseph's Mother Superior. Then, her suitor asked to marry her.

He father insisted that they delay the nuptials for a year, saying: "I want her to make her mind up well. She will be leaving us, so I want her to be sure," Ms. McCarthy said.

She returned to St. John's and taught music at Littledale College for that year. But the romance endured; it was meant to be. Ms. McCarthy and Mr. Gomez Cueto were married in 1923.

Their tentative plans to reside in Boston were superseded by Mr. Gomez Cueto's lucrative business interests in Cuba, supplying military boots to the American forces, and they settled there.

Their marriage was romantic, harmonious and affluent. Mr. Gomez Cueto built a white mansion for his wife, and outfitted it with chandeliers, Napoleon III furniture, a Steinway grand piano and peacocks. Cuba was a playground; Frank Sinatra was a neighbour. The Tropicana was the best nightclub in the world, and Ms. McCarthy could vividly recall performances there with great delight decades later.

She also fulfilled the responsibilities of a prosperous, cultivated society woman - entertaining, hosting musical evenings and founding a musical society that brought in such luminaries as conductor Sir Thomas Beecham. She helped to establish both the Havana Philharmonic Orchestra and an orphanage called Boys Town.

In St. John's, her philanthropy included building an outdoor swimming pool for the Belvedere Orphanage.

In 1950, Mr. Gomez Cueto was diagnosed with leukemia and died. They had no children, and she inherited his fortune, about $4-million. Some was invested in Cuba and some banked in Boston. Mr. Gomez Cueto appeared to be a far-seeing businessman who wanted to maximize his wife's financial options. Her comfortable life continued in Havana; she gave no thought to returning to St. John's or remarrying.

On New Year's Day, 1959, president Fulgencio Batista was informed that Fidel Castro was in Havana, and fled. The Cuban revolution was at hand.

Ms. McCarthy's Cuban assets were seized, and she was allotted a monthly pension of 200 pesos - about $12.

It was a time of upheaval and flight, but Ms. McCarthy never considered leaving her adopted home. "I wasn't a bit frightened," she said. Castro had promised the Cuban people that they would not lose their homes, and she believed him. She remained in her mansion, which decayed around her.

She could see that the revolution had drained much of the fun, and certainly all the frivolity, from Havana. Yet she admired Mr. Castro and was resigned to her vanished riches. "He's a great friend of the poor, you know," she said. "Everything I lost was properly used. There was better education, more housing, and no more children in the street begging or anything like that."

(Mr. Castro himself used to greet her at the annual Canadian embassy party by saying: "I know your face, I know your face - but I don't remember who you are.")

The American freeze on her assets in Boston was another story as far as Ms. McCarthy was concerned. The U.S. government was wrong to take what was hers, she felt, because it did it only as part of an over-emotional response to Mr. Castro. To the end of her life, she hoped to see the embargo lifted. "That way we'd get on our feet."

Ms. McCarthy continued to visit St. John's, where she had many friends and her beloved former teachers though no family. In earlier years, she gave performances, still remembered for her style and talent; more recently, a special 100th birthday party was held for her at Memorial University of Newfoundland (and she outlasted younger partygoers).

But she wouldn't consider moving back to St. John's, exchanging Havana's climate for the North Atlantic winters. Besides, she said, "nobody [in Havana] has ever been unpleasant to me. Everyone has been kind to me."

In Havana, she lived frugally and taught music until she was 100. She remained an engaged and polished figure, always described as wearing a satin dress, chiffon scarf, lipstick and pearls. A devout Catholic, she said a rosary to the Virgin of Charity, Cuba's patron saint, after tea every afternoon.

She did say once that it took some time to reconcile herself to the drastic change in her life wrought by the Cuban revolution; that it was, perhaps, a defining spiritual struggle. Possibly this was why she sometimes said she hoped to outlive Mr. Castro.

Mary Gomez Cueto

Mary McCarthy Gomez Cueto was born on April 27, 1900, in St. John's, and died on April 3, 2009, in Havana. She was 108. She was predeceased by her husband, Pedro Gomez Cueto, who died in 1950.

I would love to visit Cuba again. While I would prefer to just go and stay on the island, I would take a cruise that stopped there. It would be great if the stop included an overnight stay. But even a few hours to explore Viejo Havana would be very nice.

Having travelled there twice in the past decade, I would return anytime. I have cruised to many Caribbean ports and vacationed on many of the islands, but for me Cuba has always been my favourite. The people, the beaches, the weather, the food, the culture - love it all!

I can understand that there are people of Cuban heritage who have their reasons for not wanting to support a regime that is viewed as oppressive by spending money there, however I like to look at it this way; the money I tip the waiter/masseuse/bartender/taxi driver is going directly into their pockets and is helping to support them. I also enjoy the interactions with the people and I can't imagine permitting them to live in isolation, without contact from other nationalities.

Archived