Anyone ever cruise or room by themselves?

mgscruiser

My friends are going on a cruise in late May (4-nt from Miami on Majesty, RCCL) and booked rooms that only hold 2 people. I'm trying to figure out if I want to join them on the cruise, but if I did so, I'd have to book a room by myself and not with them, thereby paying the 2-person price.

Two questions:

1. Do you think this is worth it?

2. Is it worth it to wait a little longer to see if prices go down (current $780 for me to book the room by myself - it leaves on 5/18)?

Thanks for your input!

Is there anyone you can take with you so you don't have to pay the single supplement?

Also, if the sailing isn't full and your friends aren't attached to their cabin you may be able to switch the booking to a cabin with a sleeper sofa or pullman bed.

I already called to see if other rooms are available in their same class, of which none are. They would either downgrade or upgrade their room to fit me in, and seeing how upgrading almost doubles their cost, they don't want to do either one (which I wouldn't want to do either).

I sent an email out to one last person to see if they'd want to go with, but no reply yet.

So more than likely it would just be me.

Consensus is not worth it?

The cabins on that ship are extremely small, so there are definite advantages to having a cabin to yourself!! I personally love sailing solo and the price would be worth it to me.

If you absolutely want to go with your friends, I would not wait to book. Now if it's a case of if you get to go great, if you don't oh well, then I would wait and see if a deal comes along, but I don't think it will.

My friends are going on a cruise in late May (4-nt from Miami on Majesty, RCCL) and booked rooms that only hold 2 people. I'm trying to figure out if I want to join them on the cruise, but if I did so, I'd have to book a room by myself and not with them, thereby paying the 2-person price.

Two questions:

2. Is it worth it to wait a little longer to see if prices go down (current $780 for me to book the room by myself - it leaves on 5/18)?

Thanks for your input!

You don't pay the two person price, you pay the single suppliment which amounts to 150% of a single price.

Two questions:

Thanks for your input!

If you figure out the price per night that is only $195. a night. Can't go very many places where your room,food, and entertainment are part of that. You almost can not get a hotel room for that price. You won't be by yourself you'll be with friends just sleeping in a different cabin. I say life is far too short,book it!:)

Two questions:

Thanks for your input!

I am a solo cruiser and have been for over 25 years. Once a year, I take my grandson and once in a while a companion might join me...

I love cruising solo...having a cabin to myself is pure heaven....

In answer to your questions:

1. Yes, I think it's worth it....I always book a balcony, however...

2. I think you should book when it's a price you can live with.

It's a shame that the "single supplement" almost doubles the cost of the cruise but it's been that way forever and isn't likely to change anytime soon.

I have a maximum amount I'm willing to pay and keep watch on fares until I find a balcony cabin within that price range.

I cruise 2/3 times a year....maybe less for the next couple of years until the economy settles down......

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this - still not sure if I'm going to do it. The husband will be at home with the baby (ok, toddler) and this would be my "one big trip" for a while.

I didn't realize they called it a "single supplement" - turns out that the price for just me v. two people is the same...tried the numbers last night. ;o)

Too bad I don't get extra C&A points for booking a single! LOL

You don't pay the two person price, you pay the single suppliment which amounts to 150% of a single price.

The single supplement varies from 125%-200% ... it depends upon the sailing.

For the OP ... I cruised the Majesty by myself last year. Those cabins are so small that, for me, I'd almost want to pick staying by myself over trying to wedge 3 in there. If you are dying to go, you should probably go ahead and book. Otherwise, just have the attitude that you will wait it out and see if the prices get better. Who knows ... a week or two before it leaves, there might be a Tuesday special on it. If not, then be prepared to stay behind ....

If you want to stay friends, get your own room!

That's not a very high price for a great vacation, if you think about it! I'd rather pay a bit more, and have my own space, and still have friends to hang out with and share the experience with, than paying less and being crammed together like sardines!!

Definately it's worth paying the increased fare to travel alone. On all of my past cruises, the single suppliment was 100% of the base fare; Princess is my first cruise where I've had to pay less than 100% extra.

I've always had an interior cabin, and they certainly are too small for 3 people, so get your own cabin.

I'm in the "if you can afford it, go for it" camp! I'm going with some friends to the Mediterranean for 10 days and I am totally splurging on a balcony by myself! I could have shared with someone else, but honestly, I think I'll be happy to have a little bit of my own space at night.

It's just for the sleeping part anyway and just think, if you're all by yourself you can walk around in your underwear!

I would also book my own cabin immediately if I could afford it.

One thing to consider is what the airfare will be if you don't book now. Airfares seem to increase as you get closer to your flight. So even if your cabin goes down a week or so before the cruise, you could easily pay more than the difference on last minute airfare.

Another thing is that if you don't book now, the $780 cabins may be gone.

Finally, the sooner you book the better chance you have to get a cabin somewhere near your friends.

Guest TropicOne

Every cruise I have my own room. I always wind up paying for two but such is life. It is nice to have the privacy so to me it is worth it.

I was going to say that's a little on the pricey side for me BUT if I had just had a child, and the husband would watch the little one, then I'd be all for it. Especially if it'd be a trip you'd take for a long time.

Archived