Quest in Asia: Klong Toey

little britain

Have just booked the 2011 itinerary from HKG to SIN.:D

Have been to Asia many times, we just love Cambodia and Thailand. But wondered if a recent traveller could post how to get from Bangkok port Klong Toey into town. Do Azamara lay on busses, and do they run all day/night - and more importantly how much do they sting you for this!

Thanks

LB

We did that trip 1/3/09. The ship runs buses into town I think it was International Marketplace. We took the ship tour of the palace/ royal barges/ Jade Buddha and had them drop us in town. We took cabs back from Patpong to the ship late at night with no trouble.

Where they dock is containers so not very touristy but it is close to town. The cruise up and down the river is interesting and done in daylight hours.

We just returned from our trip on the Quest and Bangkok was a favorite. The Quest was in port for 2 days so we were able to make 3 different trips into the city. We arranged for a private tour with driver and guide before we arrived. This was the single best decision we made for our entire 3 week vacation. The private car was air conditioned and met us right outside the ship and showed us the major sites around the city (about $120 USD total 2 people for 5-6 hours.) We saved time and money by arranging our private tour.

In the evening, we booked a ship dinner excursion (Rice Barge Dinner Cruise) for $149 USD per person and were not pleased at all. The food was average at best and there was too much time spent on logistics. They also required an additional $25 per person charge to be dropped off one excursion bus and hop on a later shuttle bus back to the ship. It was not worth it and wouldn't recommend booking the ship's excursions. The other dinner cruise vessels looked better and probably less expensive if booked independently.

We used the ship's shuttle service on the second day at $8 per person which went to a Central World Plaza Mall. We used that to connect to the sky rail and went to JJ Market. This was all easily done, but required a bit of walking to accomplish it. A taxi could probably be arranged/negotiated for less than the shuttle at the cruise terminal.

A couple comments: The ship's regular shuttles did not run all night but may be different on your itinerary. The meter taxis can drive to the ship inside the port if they have a cruise passenger. It's a long hot walk from the cruise terminal to the port gate. If I did it again, I would still arrange the private driver for any specific site seeing or the river cruise. To use public transit, you can negotiate a taxi price with a driver at the cruise terminal to get from the port to the Klong Toey subway station and that would be easily accomplished. The subway and sky train were easy, clean and air-conditioned. Most importantly, beware the TRAFFIC in Bangkok. You may already know this if you've been there but Friday afternoon from the Palace to Klong Toey port was over an hour trip.

Sorry for the long answer to your short question, but we really loved Bangkok and would have loved to hear this information before our trip. Hope it's helpful!

Sorry for the long answer to your short question, but we really loved Bangkok and would have loved to hear this information before our trip. Hope it's helpful!

I lived there is early 1990's. Do people still take motor cycle taxis?

>>>>Can I ask which tour operator you used for your private tour in Bangkok?

We used ChangThaiTravel for our guide (Katy) and driver. They were great, flexible and even showed up 2 hours early when the ship arrive ahead of schedule. When the port times change, the guest relations desk provides free calls for guests with private tours.

>>>>I lived there is early 1990's. Do people still take motor cycle taxis?

There seemed to be many options: meter taxi, non-meter taxi, Tuk Tuk, and public transit. Taxis were plenty but I didn't notice specific motor cycle taxis. It would not surprise me if they were available because there were motorcycles everywhere.

I have lived in bkk for 3 years. The taxis are an incredible deal. I rarely spend more than $5, even for the longest trips. The 30 mile trip from my house to the airport is less than $10.

The port of Klong Toey (pronounced "klong DOY") is close to the center of town but there is nothing in the neighborhood you'll want to visit, unless you want to see one of Asia's largest slums. Your best bet to get from the ship into civilization is to get a taxi to take you to the nearest BTS skytrain or MRT subway station. The cost from the port to the MRT subway should be less than 100 baht ($3), perhaps a tiny bit more to the BTS skytrain.

If you want to have someone waiting for you and available at your beck and call then use Julie Taxi. We use these folks all the time for out-of-town trips. You can rent a car and driver (nice car too, usually a volvo) for about 2000 baht ($60) per day. Their local phone is 081-846-2014 (or +66 81 846 2014 outside thailand). I send people to the ruins of Ayuthya (the ancient capital) all the time with Julie Taxi.

All bkk taxi company cars are color coded (and invariably are toyota corollas) My favorite taxi colors are lime green colored. This is the Howa Taxi company (phone 02-424-2222). The other colors are generally fine, but I think Howa is the most professional with the cleanest cars. Taxis that are available have a red light shining through the driver's side of the windshield. It will go off when they turn the meter on. You should insist on their using the meter. It will show 35 (35 baht, about $, is the base fare) when activated.

Taxis are great but bkk traffic is horrendous, so beat the traffic by using public transport to do your long-haul traveling, using taxis for the first and last mile as needed. Motorcycle taxis are everywhere but I avoid them like the plague. They are best avoided by most tourists (unless you have a death wish).

The most interesting sights are in the old section of town, where the BTS and MRT don't run. I'd take the MRT to Hua Lampong (chinatown) and then get another taxi from there to go to Ratanakosin, home of the Grand Palace, Jade Buddha (both at wat Pra Kaew) or the reclining buddha across the street at Wat Po. If you have time to kill in Chinatown, check on the golden buddha near the MRT Hua Lampong station. It's solid gold - 8 TONS of it - and breathtaking.

Bangkok's seedier districts (think sodom and gamorrah meet 1960's las vegas) are accessible via public transport - patpong at BTS Sala Daeng, Nana Plaza at BTS nana, and Soi Cowboy at MRT Sukhumvit / BTS Asoke. If you can handle the overwhelming sights and crush of humanity then it makes an interesting late night experience.

My favorite spot in Bangkok is the Suan lum night Bazaar. Lots of great shops (1000's) , a giant beer garden, and it's conveniently located at the MRT Lumpini station. It's a great place to get a cheap meal, drink some good german beer and relax in the evenings.

If you like your shopping in air conditioning, take the BTS to the Siam or National Stadium Station, where it's mall after mall as far as the eye can see. When the heat overwhelms you (and it will!), head to the basement of Siam Paragon mall for ice cream, McDonalds or just to get into the arctic aircon temperatures.

My favorite Mall is MBK at National Stadium - it's unlike any mall you've ever experienced. You'll either love it or hate it and it will only take you about 5 minutes to make up your mind. If you want to eat like a local, head up to the 7th floor and eat at the massive food court, where you can't spend more than $3 per person even if you tried. Everything will be in thai. Just point at the food, watch what other people are doing, and then start eating. Real everyday Thai food has very little in common with the stuff you see in Thai restaurants in the USA.

Bangkok is dirty, smelly, hot humid and overwhelming. It's also probably the most interesting city in Asia and among the safest big cities in the world - with a cuisine to die for. We love it.

From the port, the closest / most convenient BTS station is either Sala Daeng or On Nut. Sala Daeng is west of the port and On Nut is north. To get to the oriental, take the BTS to the Saphan Taksin station on the BTS silom line. Sala Daeng station is on that line already so I would go to Sala Daeng if your immediate plan is to get to The Oriental.

Once you get to Saphan Taksin, head to the river (just follow the crowds, it's a 2 minute walk) where you can catch the oriental's private ferry boat directly from the pier. If traffic cooperates to get you to Sala Daeng station then I'd guess you could get from the port to the hotel in about an hour and for under 150 baht ($5)

BTW, that pier at Saphan Taksin is also a great spot to catch the river taxi boats. They are super cheap and probably more much less touristy than the dinner cruise boats (which are overpriced and have horrible food.

I hope you enjoy Krung Thep.

Our Azamara Cruise (22DEC) is in Bangkok for 3 days - our plan is to fly on day 3 to Siem Reap for 2 days and then re-join the ship in Saigon. How long would it take for us to get to the airport (BKK it seems) - early morning?

From Klong Toey port to BKK Suvarnabhumi (pronounced sue-wanna-boom) airport is less than 30 minutes without traffic. From the fancy hotels on the riverside figure on 45 minutes. If you have to fight traffic then it can take 2x as long (or more). Generally traffic is quite light once you are on the expressway (which are well worth it for 65 baht in tolls).

as for "early morning", how early are you talking? bkk rush hour starts at about 630am and basically doesn't end until about 7pm. Leave yourself extra time (at least 30 minutes) if you will be driving to the airport between those hours.

Siem Reap is amazing. We'll be going back sometime soon. Next time we're aiming to stay at the FCC Angkor hotel there. Bangkok Airways, the only airline that flys direct to Siem Reap, is pretty decent.

Finally, be aware that Americans _must_ have a pre-arranged visa to visit Vietnam. Vietnam doesn't do visas on arrival for US Citizens (which btw are free in Thailand, $20 or $25 in cambodia). Saigon/HCMC is another fascinating city - and the weather in SE asia is just stunning in December. You are going to have a great time.

Siem Reap is amazing. We'll be going back sometime soon. Next time we're aiming to stay at the FCC Angkor hotel there. Bangkok Airways, the only airline that flys direct to Siem Reap, is pretty decent.

Any suggestions for an overnight from Sihanoukville, Cambodia to Siem Reap (I understand its a 4 hour drive to the airport) and flight the next day to meet the ship by 5:00pm in Bangkok. I am looking for air options as well as the hotel suggestion. It sounds like Bangkok Airways is the one to book. I'm not sure how far in advance I should do this for a Feb cruise.

Sihanoukville to Siem reap is a long way and cambodian roads are generally quite poor. It will be a challenge. If it were me I'd arrange a decent travel agent (http://www.exotissimo.com is a good one) to meet me at the port and shuttle me to siem reap by private SUV. I'd try to get direct to siem reap for a hotel (unless you don't mind very basic accommodations) as the tourist infrastructure there is limited.

As for booking, I'd try to book the shuttle drive early (30+ days), as it is a long drive. More than 60-90 days ahead is an eternity.

• 1 month later...
Our Azamara Cruise (22DEC) is in Bangkok for 3 days - our plan is to fly on day 3 to Siem Reap for 2 days and then re-join the ship in Saigon. How long would it take for us to get to the airport (BKK it seems) - early morning?

Hi,

We are hoping to be on Quest Hong Kong to Singapore Feb 6, 2010.

Which sailing are you on?

There are zillions of tour companies in Asia. Exotissimo is one of the higher end ones. You can do cheaper, but with a multi-country itinerary over just a few days I would be hesitant to cut corners. I haven't personally used their tour services but I know lots of people who have done so to good results. Generally the only complaint is that Exotissimo (a five star operation) is much pricier than the street level one-star operations. Of course, you tend to get what you pay for.

Exotissimo is also a regular travel agency. We have an office in Hanoi and they use exotissimo for booking all of their air travel. They never seem to have a problem.

Bottom line - consider them if you want a flexible and hassle-free trip, especially if you want to cover a lot of ground. But avoid them if you are a penny pincher or a backpacker/independent traveler type.

Hi,

My friends are taking a similar cruise in 2011 on Azamara. Have you personally used this tour company in Asia or know someone who has?

Sheila

• 6 months later...

Hi

We too are booked on the far east cruise in 2011. March 29th, so I presume we leave England the day before. Any info. on private trips is very welcome. Have you managed to get your up front gratuities removed from your invoice? as there seems to be problems for some people. Seems a long time but means we can do a lot of planning, particularly with all this snow around at the moment!

We are leaving the 23rd of this month.:)

Are you on the Singapore to Hong Kong trip, if so we will see you in the bar. Keep an ear out for an English couple with Yorkshire accents drinking gin and vodka;)

@bodominiums, many thanks for all the helpful info you have given.

Are you on the Singapore to Hong Kong trip, if so we will see you in the bar. Keep an ear out for an English couple with Yorkshire accents drinking gin and vodka;)

@bodominiums, many thanks for all the helpful info you have given.

We are also on this cruise ...counting the days now (Scottish/English couple)

Do you think I will release the yorkshire accent hahahhahahhaha

I have got enough to be able to speak and understand the americans;)

We arrive in sIngapur on the 22nd. Better one day before than too late.

Hi

We too are booked on the far east cruise in 2011. March 29th, so I presume we leave England the day before. Any info. on private trips is very welcome. Have you managed to get your up front gratuities removed from your invoice? as there seems to be problems for some people. Seems a long time but means we can do a lot of planning, particularly with all this snow around at the moment!

Come and join the roll call - very small at the mo with one Brit, two US and one Canadian!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1009721

By the time we cruise there will be no on board gratuities so don't worry about it. Your TA should remove them from your balance now if you ask.

I've taken ours off so that is £114pp saving, so with that and the free wine I reacon we will save close on $1000!

Archived