Interesting Interview with Rick Steves

The article starts here http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2009/03/20/rick_steves/index.html . He irritates a lot of people by mixing his politics with his travel advice. His pack light and travel like a local philosophy does not mesh well with the cruising industry. I have relied heavily on his books for my land based European travels. Steves has an excellent website full of travel advice http://www.ricksteves.com .

For someone who writes so eloquently on touring Europe it frustrates the heck out of me that his books aren't widely available here. I have to have my copies imported. We can get Fodors, Frommers, etc, but go into a book store here and they are more likely to say Rick who? We don't get the TV programmes either :mad:. So I think you guys are lucky, whatever you think of him!

For someone who writes so eloquently on touring Europe it frustrates the heck out of me that his books aren't widely available here. I have to have my copies imported.

Amazon not an option?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/rick-steves/s/qid=1239557414/ref=sr_nr_i_2?ie=UTF8&rs=&keywords=rick%20steves&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Arick%20steves%2Ci%3Astripbooks

Yep, but if you look at the price of the UK copies compared to US Amazon is importing them from the States, they tend to be cheaper on Amazon.com so I wait until I go over there (I'm in the US several times a year) and get them. Having said that, because of the pound dollar rate the prices are closer than they have been, they have been $8-10 more per copy.

Also, if you want to browse before you buy, I've yet to see them in any of my local libraries. Plus I would love to see the TV programmes.

Thanks for the link to the article.

I do use many sources including Rick Steves--and in my recent port review here on this board even expressed displeasure at one of his descriptions of a site in Rome.

One of the irritating things about Rick Groupies is they feel that they have to read out loud as they tour...well it saves me from having to open my book.

We use the pack light (I cruise with my Rick Steves backpack) and follow a traveler not a tourist philosophy when we cruise. Basically the ship is my hotel room, it moves every night just like a sleeper car on a train. I still go to local markets, build a picnic, try local food and get lost in tiny streets--and NEVER set foot on a ship tour bus.

"He irritates a lot of people by mixing his politics with his travel advice."

Those people will either need to get over it or avoid his travel advice, because both his travel advice and his political views are inseparable parts of his overall world view. It would be like trying to understand a style of art without understanding the social and political history from the time period that produced the art.

SallyUK, if you go to the RickSteves.com website, click on Free Podcasts and then scroll down to the video podcasts you can see snippets of the shows.

Cool, I didn't know that I'll try that out. And to Friscorays, apologies, I've read back my last post and it comes across as a bit ungrateful. I'm just mega jealous that we don't have the TV programmes here.

I just purchased his Rome 2009 book and it is wonderful. In his book he goes over several "walking tours" of various parts of Rome (which are available for free download from his website.) So its like you are on a "real" walking tour with the benefit of Rick Steves insight (if you care for such a thing) right from your mp3 player (great for those who don't want to walk around with a travel book in their hands)

I just purchased his Rome 2009 book and it is wonderful. In his book he goes over several "walking tours" of various parts of Rome (which are available for free download from his website.)...

We did his audio tours using our Ipods, of the Pantheon, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica, Forum and Colosseum...all are excellent. They are narrated by RS and a local guide, and the accompanying one page map that you can print for each site makes it easy to navigate. Just a note though that unless he has revised his Forum tour since October, it starts where the old entrance was (the new entrance is at Palatine Hill.)

His Rome book was great for other sites/walking tours during our visit.

Highly recommend his Istanbul book as well.

"He irritates a lot of people by mixing his politics with his travel advice."

Those people will either need to get over it or avoid his travel advice, because both his travel advice and his political views are inseparable parts of his overall world view. It would be like trying to understand a style of art without understanding the social and political history from the time period that produced the art.

I disagree. Traveling the backdoor way with more interaction with the locals and being immersed in the culture of the place you are visiting is easily seperated from his desire to legalize marijuana and have the US adopt a Scandinavian style political and social system.

His travel advice stands on its own and applicable to anyone regardless of their political or social views.

Joe

I picked up a book and dvd set at Costco - Rick Steves 2009/Europe 101 because it had several episodes of his show that were ports on our upcoming cruise. I'll feel a lot more confident and informed visiting those places (Barcelona, Athens and Istanbul) after seeing the DVD. As an artist, though, I thought I'd get less out of the accompanying book, Europe 101, which is basically an art history timeline of Europe with a typical wry, Rick-Stevesesque wit about it. I have actually enjoyed the book more than the DVD. We are visiting very culture and art rich ports, and that book pointed out many things I would have easily overlooked. I am certain my travels will be greatly enhanced with the knowledge Rick Steves has given. I think Steves' view that travel is a political act, we are all ambassadors of our nation is good for travelers and the people of the places we visit, too. If he opens more eyes to the rich, global cultural wealth of our world, more people will travel and enjoy the planet, they'll want to respect the environment and respect culturally diverse people, and maybe fewer people will want to fight wars with people who espouse differing cultural and religious values or find support for that nonsense.

Just a side remark from a European: Reading the posts on this board I am often surprised how much this man is praised and followed by some, who than tell others to follow his DVD, his book, his whatever. When people than write what he actually said you had to do etc., it sometimes is great advice and I as European think: Yes, right, that is important here or we would do it that way.

Yet, just as often I wonder how he got his expert status. Not everything is accurate, some choices are obviously politicially biased etc.

I am sure many people enjoy following his routes, I am also sure there are many other good guidebooks and many other ways to be a conscious traveller.

I don't care for Rick Steve's poltical opinions or his choice of hotels, but his books have excellent walking tours, guides to popular museums and lots of practical advice. For example: how to call the Uffizzi Gallery to make a reservation in English, or which window has the best view of the Ponte Vecchio. Just use the parts of th ebooks that work for you.

I don't care for Rick Steve's poltical opinions or his choice of hotels, but his books have excellent walking tours, guides to popular museums and lots of practical advice. For example: how to call the Uffizzi Gallery to make a reservation in English, or which window has the best view of the Ponte Vecchio. Just use the parts of th ebooks that work for you.

Other than hotel choices (spouse wants an elevator these days), the practical advice in Rick Steves' guidebooks is unbeatable and simply not included in other guidebooks. His walking tours and museum tours are excellent.

What I like about using Rick Steves' guide books is the logistical information that is included that is hard to find elsewhere. This is very important if you are a do-it-yourself traveler taking a cruise who wants to avoid group shore excursions as much as possible.

Knowing exactly how to get from Monaco to Nice (bus or train, where the station is, how to buy tickets, hours of operations, how close to the city center the train station or bus station is, what stop to get off of, etc) or how to avoid lines at the Colloseum and Vatican Museum is invaluable to me.

Joe

An earlier poster said "I wonder how he got his expert status ..." The answer is very simple. For many years now Rick has spent two months a year (2 visits ... for a month each) just doing research in Europe. Then he returns to Europe each year to shoot his shows and lead his tours. He checks on places, writes about them, and then rechecks them later and changes his guidebooks if the locations don't live up to previous expectations. He's truly dedicated to his work.

SallyUK, I like Rick too...and when I can't get back to the US to buy some of his Back Door books, I order them online. Not sure if we're allowed to give the website, but it's the common Amazonian website that harbors all books and DVDs required. But it is more expensive than buying them in the US.

• 3 weeks later...

I just learned to download his audio and video podcasts. It's fantastic to listen to at work. To enhance this, I've been going on Google Maps and getting a street view and actually walking around the cities. By the time I get there, I will feel more comfortable getting around. I hope :p

Took a Rick Steves Tour in 2008 and absolutely loved it. So much better than the port samplings you get on a cruise. The total immersion and interactions with the local people made for a trip I will never forget. From now on, we will cruise to various areas, then decide if we wish to return to truly experience the area. The "packing light" portion of the trip will be used forever. Easy to travel, without the hassles of lost or misplaced luggage.

Archived