St Kitts

obnurse

Hi,

Since St. Kitts isn't listed in the ports of call, I wondered if anyone who's been to St. Kitts before can adivse me on excursions. Just don't know what to do there. Any tips? Will we tender there? Anything not to be missed? Is there another place where I can get info on St. Kitts? Thanks everyone.

We visited St. Kitts on the Sun Princess almost a few weeks ago. We did the St. Kitts Scenic Railway (booked it on line through Princess). It was a different tour, and relaxing. Had room to walk around on the train instead of being cramped in a bus. The train has two levels: enclosed and air conditioned on the bottom and open air at the top. The top is better for picture taking. They serve you drinks (rum punch & punch, water) during the ride too. I think it's about 3 hours or so. I think there is a web site for the train that might give you an idea. The link below includes some of the pictures we took. You can also try the ports board under other Caribbean, I think and you may find info on St. Kitts.

Do you like to snorkel? We did the Fant-a-Sea snorkeling excursion. It was fantastic!

About a 20 to 30 minute ride on a catamaran to the snorkeling area. Maybe 45 to 60 minutes to snorkel. Then a short ride to a beach. During the ride to the beach the bar is open and they're cooking your lunch. When you arrive at the beach you eat lunch and have time to relax and enjoy the beach. Then the ride back to the ship. Great fun.

do you like beaches? many beautiful beaches on the island

there's one fairly close , and accessible by cab, called South Friar's Beach... very nice place to spend the day :)

and the ride there is over a mountain, and very beautiful

When we went to St. Kitts, we did the Nevis Sailaway. It was fabulous.

You go by catamaran to Pinney's Beach on Nevis. Looks just like Hawaii. Before you get there, they stop & let you snorkle in a cove.

The crew prepares a barbecue lunch.

If I get there again, I would definitely do this excursion again.

Minette

I visited St. Kitts on the Golden Princess in May of this year. We docked there vs. tendering. We took the "4X4 Exploration of the S.E. Peninsula" excursion. It was a big army troop truck that we were herded onto...very tight quarters and a windy, bumpy ride. You don't go to any major tourist attractions (like with the drive-around tour of Grenada), but you do stop at several pullovers where pix can be taken, and you end up at a beach where refreshments are served.

Personally, I would not do this excursion again. I enjoyed it for what it was and wouldn't say it was an awful excursion. However, it was a lot of climbing into and out of this big truck and, at my height (under 5'), it was a pain. Also, the beach they took us to was NOT attractive and smelled really badly of animal poop (goats and cows roamed loose all over that area).

One thing I did love about St. Kitts, though, was that the topography of the island reminded me SO much of Maui in Hawaii...and I LOVE Maui!

Up for a challenge? If you are in good physical condition and are into hiking, etc., check out the hike up Mt. Liamuiga. My friend and I did this a few weeks ago. Since I turned 50 this year, I decided to challenge myself all year long. This one just about did me in!!! Awesome experience though.

Pictures are at http://community.webshots.com/user/janet7103

Janet

When we went to St. Kitts, we did the Nevis Sailaway. It was fabulous.

You go by catamaran to Pinney's Beach on Nevis. Looks just like Hawaii. Before you get there, they stop & let you snorkle in a cove.

The crew prepares a barbecue lunch.

If I get there again, I would definitely do this excursion again.

Minette

obnurse ....Like cruisingfreak, we also LOVED the Nevis Sailaway offered by Princess!

St.Kitts-Nevis Sailaway (Click Here for curisers' reviews/Q&A)

At the beach in Nevis you will feel as if you are "walking around on a post card!"

Hope this helps! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Thank you SO MUCH everyone! You've given me a wealth of information and I'll check out all of your tips. Three of the four of us love to snorkel, one of us not so much, so we're not sure exactly what we'll do but I know I'm anxious to see St. Kitts. We are so excited. We leave on 1-28 on the Sun! Yippee! Happy Holidays and Happy Cruising!

We were in St.Kitts this Spring on the Dawn Princess. We did the Sugar Cane Train. My DH thought it was too long but I loved it. Only had a short time to shop in town. Bought some batik items...wonderful!

Up for a challenge? If you are in good physical condition and are into hiking, etc., check out the hike up Mt. Liamuiga. My friend and I did this a few weeks ago. Since I turned 50 this year, I decided to challenge myself all year long. This one just about did me in!!! Awesome experience though.

Pictures are at http://community.webshots.com/user/janet7103

Janet

Pictures look great. Very tempted by this tour. Can you tell us please: are you shaded from the sun by all that foliage? is it in fact cold? can you see anything when you get to the top through the clouds?

Thanks

NEVIS/PINNEY'S BEACH CATAMARAN:

Leeward Island Charters Spirit of St. Kitts Catamaran,

Capt. Todd P.O. Box 586, Basseterre, St.Kitts. (869) 465 7474

$70 incl BBQ lunch at Pinney's Beach (Nevis)

catered by Ballahoo, snorkeling,

Lasts all day

Same trip is offered through Shoretrips.com for $72;

Same trip is offered through Princess for $119

NEVIS VIA FERRY:

Charlestown, Nevis $8

869-466-INFO E-mail: mmts@hotmail.com

http://www.nevis1.com/nevis_ferry_schedule.html

Harbor is walking distance to Pinney’s Beach

ST. KITTS RAINFOREST HIKE:

$42 - 4 hour tour, includes picnic lunch

http://www.gregsafaris.com/tour_frame.html

ST. KITTS BY TAXI:

Cab to South Frigate Bay Beach Approx $11

Four hour island highlights tours Approx $60

ST. KITTS RAILWAY:

Narrow Gauge Railway Island Tour

$89 - 4 hour trip circumnavigates the island

http://www.stkittsscenicrailway.com/page4.htm

This trip is the same price through Princess

MJK43;

First of all, personally I would not risk a private tour because it is WAY to close to make it back to the ship on time. Too much can happen...not worth $40 savings. (just my opinion) We had a later time to be back on the ship (4:30) but we did not get back until after 3pm. With the earlier departure time, it is just too close for a private tour.

Secondly, yes you are shaded the whole time. It is very hot and humid. Every inch of me was soaked! However, it gets a little chilly at the top when the wind blows on you. You are there a very short time though. Don't worry, you should be plenty warm.

Janet

[quote name=MaryPoppinz

ST. KITTS RAILWAY:

Narrow Gauge Railway Island Tour

$89 - 4 hour trip circumnavigates the island

http://www.stkittsscenicrailway.com/page4.htm

This trip is the same price through Princess

Thank you, MaryPoppinz, for the Railway link! We've pre-booked this tour and are now looking forward to it even more than we were before! Sounds lovely.

I think we're going on the same cruise. (Sun, January 28th) I tried to book the Nevis sailaway thru Shoretrips and couldn't do it. We don't get into St. Kitts early enough. (by half an hour) I asked if they would change the time and Shoretrips said that it was a set tour and that they couldn't. I didn't call direct but I'm sure they have a contract with Princess and would not let us do it for the cheaper cost.

Archived