buffet for every meal? have you?

kokopops

Usually just eat in the dining room the first night - if at all. If our table mates are really cool we might come back, but we're often too pooped from having too much fun to be chatty. I like buffets and love the convenience of them (and the other eateries). I don't like being tied down and my meal being drawn out like in the dining room. Plus, if something I order isn't to my liking or filling I don't want to have to wait for something else. Often I'm either hungry before or after our dining room seating time and excursions and other activities make it difficult to make it to the dining room anyway. If I were cruising with a group of friends/family we might eat in the dining room more. I still tip the dining room staff regardless of how often I eat in the dining room.

Like other posters I like to be waited on so I eat most of my meals in the MDR. Sister on the other had doesn't like to sit with strangers, so she eats breakfast and lunch on the Lido, but most dinner's in the MDR.

We've had 2 cruises that our initial MDR experience was unpleasant so we didn't return. This was before we knew that we could request a table change. The 1st time was on the Inspiration and they were trialing a new "Bistro" dining on the starboard side of the Lido DR. You were actually seated and ordered off a menu that was very similar to the MDR.

We really liked that, but Carnival didn't continue that option. I suspect it's much like the anytime dining experience. Though I wouldn't want to do anytime dining all the time.

Last cruise was a week & I had DS (7 at the time) & we ate in the buffets or pizza the whole time. Oh, sandwiches too. I knew he would NOT be happy sitting still at the table for multiple courses. I had a couple of meals I didn't care for, but then there's ALWAYS room service. LOL!!

We'll eat at the buffet when we first get on the ship (DH figures he's paid for it already and refuses to stop before we get to the pier :rolleyes:). After that, we won't set foot in the buffet again unless a port day requires us to hurry off the ship.

We LOVE the MDR experience...breakfast, lunch and dinner. We've almost always had good tablemates and we enjoy meeting new people. And the food is phenomenal!

We're taking 2 just-graduated high school senior girls with us on the Conquest in June. This is our youngest and we've taken our 2 older kids on grad cruises as well. We pretty much let them do their own thing on the ship but we do want them to join us at dinner. They've had so much fun getting dressed up and being fussed over by the waitstaff in the DR. They also try food that they might not normally consider eating. The DR has always been a huge hit with the teens. We wouldn't miss it for anything!

To me, eating every meal in the buffet sounds like a really sad cruise, but I guess that's why they have choices for everyone! :)

im just wondering, has anyone ever gone on a cruise and "not" eat in the dining room perfering to eat at the buffet every time? whats the least amount of times you have eatin in the dining room on a cruise?

We've only skipped the dining room one single time for dinner. IMHO, the dining room service experience is what sets crusing apart from all other vacations. We used to do the buffet for breakfast, but on our last cruise we discovered how much more pleasant the dining room could be. We've never gone to the dining room for lunch, as we're always up on deck in our swimsuits & don't feel like changing, so it's the buffet or burger bar - cheeseburgers in paradise!

On my 9 cruises, I always do the dining room room for evening. There have been a few times, when they really didn't have anything that I wanted on the menu:rolleyes:, but I did find something. That doesn't happen too often.

When we get back from the islands, that is when we like to check out the buffet area. Sometimes even the buffet area, doesn't have what I want. Of course, I can always have pizza or a sandwich.:)

brneyes

But do you feel like a big chunk of your cabin fee

is going to pay for the dinner meals and service that you're not getting because you're eating at the buffet? I sure do.

If they had variable pricing options (e.g., no dining room), I'd be far more inclined to take a cruise again sooner.

The way they do it now, you sort of have to hold your nose and rationalize it as part of the total cost.

Ummmm...I'm not quite getting your rationale.

Good business practice dictates that the cost of your cruise includes a good chunk of $$

to pay for the food you eat -regardless of where you choose to consume it

be it Room Service, Lido buffet or in the Dining Rooms.

LIDOlunch-183.jpg

Carnival Cruise Lines now has a pretty good idea of what the average cruiser eats and what it costs them to feed you.

I'm getting the impression you think that Lido buffet food is 'free' somehow?

...but dining room food is what they "made you pay for"?

Is that how Carnival works it out, you reckon?

Desserts-187.jpg

Somebody has to pay for the food you eat wherever, and it sho' ain't gonna be Carnival :D

Those boys are into profit, not charity! ;) ;)

Trust me when I tell you that the Lido buffet food, Lido desserts and that "free" Lido lemonade/iced tea,etc.

has been pre-paid by You Da Cruiser before you even set foot on Carnival's ship!

Eat wherever you want, coz ain't no discount comin yo' way just becoz you don't eat in the dining rooms.

Our last cruise on RCCL we only ate in the DR once. It was not by choice though. We like anytime dining so we can take a nice long nap in the afternoon and then get up and eat when we are ready. On Liberty of the Seas we slept through all the Dining except the one and had to eat in the Buffet. It got really old, with the exception of soups and desserts they rotated meat and potato dishes basically every other day. We hated it and will never go on a cruise again that we can't have anytime dining.

I've done it several times, because I sail with my kids who have no interest in the Dining Room, and I don't really either-I have other things I'd rather do fo 2-3 hours instead of making small talk with people I probably don't really like (sounds mean, but it's the truth).

Last month on Splendor, we did the DR once, and it was so-so food, with terrible service...the Lido was way better.

On our last cruise (line and ship to remain nameless) what was served at the buffett was what was served in the main dining room and the service and atmosphere was lacking. We like to go to the main dining room and have dinner, be served and discuss our days adventure over wine and a good meal. So the last experience was really not for us.

We have been on cruises where the main dining rooms atmosphere was more to our liking and the service and food was excellent. On that cruise if you did not dine in the main dining room at least for the food you were missing out.

The specialty restaurants where you pay a nominal fee have all been worth the expense on every ship we have ever been on.

To some cruisers eating at the buffett all the time is great , to others fine dining is great. Some think the main dining room is excellent and others think room service is excellent. Some never want to get out of shorts and flip flops and some enjoy dressing up.

It is up to the individual about what they want from their cruise adventure. Just remember time of year and cruise line do make a difference. Its all a learning experience, try it all and Travel Happy!

I would like to try the anytime dining, rather than be set to a certain schedule. I might go to the dining room more often. Someone else said that they felt the dining room experience is what sets cruising apart from other vacations. For me, that's not so.

I was very much a buffet person on my norweigan cruises, and I was very leary about the dining room on the splendor before I cruised. after returning, I would say that if you chose to only use the lido buffet, you would be missing out on one of the best parts of the cruise. the food in the dining room is fantastic, and the service is just as good....I would give it a try....

Our last cruise was a back to back (4 and 5 day), the first leg I think I ate in the dining room twice? Second leg maybe once? Not sure, but the menu eventually gets old, and if you consider that on a 9 day cruise over 24 hours is eaten up just in getting ready and eating dinner, I wasn't feeling it. The buffet was surprisingly good and had many items from the dining room (I just had to avoid the chocolate melting cake they had on the buffet every single night, LOL)... on surf and turf night they had the wonderful tempura shrimp on the buffet but not in the dining room... The dining room is fine and the food is okay, but I have just lost the desire to do it night after night when there are other more casual options available with food options that are adequate. I don't care for the buffet as much for breakfast and lunch... but generally at least enjoy the carving station at dinner, plus they have several vegetable options, salad, etc. I used to hate the buffet and would never consider eating there but after the last experience it is definitely a viable option for my future cruises. I don't cruise to eat, as long as there are food options I'm happy. However, yes I still leave all tips in place :D

Yes, my friend had the "warm chocolate melting cake" almost every night. Sometimes she would have it along with "another":eek: dessert. My favorite is "white" chocolate, so I did not go that route.

brneyes

im just wondering, has anyone ever gone on a cruise and "not" eat in the dining room perfering to eat at the buffet every time? whats the least amount of times you have eatin in the dining room on a cruise?

Love the Dining Room and never had dinner anywhere else

In all of our cruises we have only missed the dining room dinners twice. Once due to illness of our nephew and once because the lunch provided with our excursion was awful. When we returned to the ship at 4:00pm we were starved and went to the buffet. We weren't hungry at 8:00 for our dining room assignment.

We did do this once a few years ago. Could only get late seating on a Princess ship, and that was before they had Anytime. We hate to eat late, so we ate in the buffet. After the first couple of days, we started doing our dinners in "courses." Got soup or an appetizer size thing and ate that first. Went back for the main course and then back again for dessert. Seemed nicer to me. I'd always rather eat in the dining room, but on the upcoming Splendor cruise, we might be back in the buffet again since we're waitlisted for early. That is unless we can figure out the Carnival anytime solution ... info please from anybody who can explain it.

I love the Dining Room! Mmmm... I can taste it already! Strawberry Bisque, Prime Rib with Au Jus, and my personal favorite dessert-- Baked Alaska!

I almost always make it there for dinner (even if that means a little snack in the Buffet beforehand to hold me over for my late seating!) but haven't ever made it there for breakfast. I would love to try it but can't seem to get up (and dressed) in time!

i have always eaten in the dining room for dinner. I love being taken care of. I am disappointed because i am going on an excursion in juneau that will cause me to miss a meal in the dining room. I am so disappointed!

me too!

Archived