Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

MMMMMM PFChangs lettuce wraps!!! We are gonna get along very well!!!!

:D

We're going to get along great! :D

OMG they are my all time favorite! Found them about 8 years ago while visiting friends in PHX! Got my entire in-law family hooked on them after that!

Again...they have one somewhere around Chicago..just not near us! :mad: If we that close (within Tampa!) I think we should go get them!

Okay - now I see that you guys are active on other threads, too! Should I be jealous? haha - Regarding PF Chang's, there is one at the Westshore Mall (check it out on Google maps), and it's a big mall. It's right by the Springhill Suites, about 5-6 miles from your hotel. The funkybunch will have dinner at Bucca Di Beppo, after many emails and much negotiation, (it's hard to direct this 12 person herd!) But PF Chang's was on my list! Yeah, regarding Bahama Breeze, I wanted the "local flavor", and Funky pointed out that they have them in Texas, Tennessee, and Chicago area! So my point was moot! We went for the family style italian!

There's also a family style Italian restaurant at the Westshore Mall, next to PF Changs, called Maggiano's. I haven't eaten there yet, but I'm told it's good. This would be on Westshore Blvd just S of I-275. Springhill Suites is on Cypress just off of Westshore and Just N. of I-275. You could easily walk the distance without getting blisters. If you are at Chase Suites, it's still rather close by car or taxi, just S of the airport by about 1-2 miles. The closest Bucca Di Beppo that I know of, is up on N. Dale Mabry Highway, a good distance away. Maggiano's would be a lot closer. I love Bucca Di Beppo though, and have experience with them (at the Brandon location).

There's a restaurant out on Courtney Campbell Causeway not far from Chase Suites that's a local outfit, and I don't believe it's a chain - Castaways. Right on the water, S. side of the road, just W of Rocky Point Drive. I've never been there, but I'm told it's quite good, and maybe leaning towards the expensive side.

There are some local "jewels" as far as restaurants good, but a good distance from the airport and the Chase Suites area - The Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City, and Bern's Steakhouse on S. Howard are great places to eat, and very unique. If you are interested in these, I believe I have them covered in the first few pages of the thread (and several more times as the thread goes on).

kruisin kelly - Yep, I can be found elsewhere from time to time. Mainly on roll calls for my cruises, but here and there on occassion. I still work for a living, so I can't be all over the place, almost all the time like some folks.;)

Ken

I'm sure Ken will come up with more restaurants since he travels all over the place but...

Probably the most famous restaurant is the Columbia in Ybor (E-bor) city. That would be west on RT60 (Adamo Dr) to 22nd St and taake a right if I remember correctly.

It is a great place to go. Right down to the flaminco dancers show. It hase been around for about 100 yrs. Spanish/Cubann food.

It is a great place.

10 to 15 minutes from where you are staying and easy to get to.

Jeff

Google...Columbia Restaurant...just did this and it shows pics...menu...make reservations and more.

It truely is a bit of Tampa history.

I have been checking into the Columbia Restaurant, but the sites that I checked gave the restaurant very bad reviews. Have you been to the restaurant lately, and are the reviews unfounded.

Thanks

I haven't been there in quite a while, however I've never heard anybody around here condemn it, and much to the contrary. I haven't read those reviews, however I could imagine that it could be someone who is an obsessive nit-picker, or else they don't or cannot appreciate the Spanish cuisine. As a rule, the only people who do reviews are dissatisfied people. The reviews don't account for the thousands of people who eat there. For instance, it's not possible to eat there on Thanksgiving or Christmas Day without reservations made quite early. Somebody is doing something right, or else this family owned restaurant and local landmark wouldn't still be in business after 100 years.

About half of the block immediately to the E of the Columbia was a victim of an arsonist this week. That's on the other side of 22nd St from the Columbia. The Tampa FD did a commendable job making sure that the Columbia suffered no damage at all. It was scary enough that the Columbia was evacuated. The buildings in this area of Ybor City are around 100 years old, and they burn quick and hot. The folks in city government and historic preservationists are trying to save the facade of the building if at all possible. If not, there will be a big vacant lot there in the near future. This doesn't effect the Columbia though, just FYI.

Ken

I have been checking into the Columbia Restaurant, but the sites that I checked gave the restaurant very bad reviews. Have you been to the restaurant lately, and are the reviews unfounded.

Thanks

bazarr2,

Was there about a year ago. Good as always. I tend to agree with Ken on this one....(sour grapes by people who find only the bad...not the good).

Cruisng with people this coming week out of Tampa who ate there 4 weeks ago. They are from Kansas City...and that is the only place the hubby wants to eat. They loved it.

It is historic and nice. It is worth the price.

Jeff

These posts have been so helpful...I was booked at the Best Western near Busch Gardens for a night after my cruise until I read Ken's info. I immediately called and cancelled my reservation! I am now booked at the Holiday Inn Express on Dale Mabry...any thoughts? I was also considering the Rocky Point HI which is a bit more expensive but is on the water. If anyone has any feedback it would be much appreciated!

suezducruz - You did good by changing. I was out on Busch Blvd yesterday, and nothing has changed. Coincidentally, I was working on a case just last week that involved an incident at the EconoLodge out on Busch Blvd. It involved drug abuse and a car theft by some criminals who were staying there.

Either of those Holiday Inn Express locations are fine. The one on Dale Mabry is newer. As you mention, the one on Rocky Point is on the water. Both locations have a very convenient place to eat right next door. Rocky Point has the Bahama Breeze next door, and the Dale Mabry location has a Sam Seltzers Steakhouse up front right by the hotel.

Ken

suezducruz - I'm not really sure how big Lakeland is, as far as population. Shame on me for not knowing that sort of thing. It's big enough to have everything one would want, but still small enough to retain a small town flavor. Biggest city in Polk County, FL. During the day, it takes me about 30 minutes to drive from the N end of town where I am, to the S end. Downtown Lakeland is still quaint, with a town square, lake parks, small stores, etc. If you go to my Yahoo photo album page linked in my signature block, you will find an album of pics from Lakeland. Most of the pics are from Lake Morton (Swans) and Lake Mirror (Promenade, parks).

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about Lakeland, and then some:

http://www.lakeland.net/

http://www.lakelandgov.net/

http://www.lakelandchamber.com/content2/

http://www.lakelandchamber.com/content2/interior.asp?section=comminfo&body=look.htm

Ken

suezducruz - I'm not really sure how big Lakeland is, as far as population. Shame on me for not knowing that sort of thing. It's big enough to have everything one would want, but still small enough to retain a small town flavor. Biggest city in Polk County, FL. During the day, it takes me about 30 minutes to drive from the N end of town where I am, to the S end. Downtown Lakeland is still quaint, with a town square, lake parks, small stores, etc. If you go to my Yahoo photo album page linked in my signature block, you will find an album of pics from Lakeland. Most of the pics are from Lake Morton (Swans) and Lake Mirror (Promenade, parks).

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about Lakeland, and then some:

http://www.lakeland.net/

http://www.lakelandgov.net/

http://www.lakelandchamber.com/content2/

http://www.lakelandchamber.com/content2/interior.asp?section=comminfo&body=look.htm

Ken

Ken,

Thank you for the info, I found the business I was looking for. By the way, the city is approx. 90,000, the greater lakeland area is around 225,000!

suezducruz:

I just stayed in that Holiday Inn Express 2 days prior to my Zenith 14 day cruise. I had heard it was 10 months old and a non-smoking motel.

I did not have any problems with reservations, free shuttle from airport, free buffet breakfast,etc. The shuttle driver gave me a free appetizer coupon for Sam's Seltzers Steakhouse (blooming onion). I had never eaten at that chain of restaurants and it was very good. It is located in front of the motel closer to the road. There was enough food served to me to have another meal from it the next evening (each room has a refrig and a microwave making it easy to reheat, pop corn, etc.)

It was a safe area and I did walk a couple blocks to the north looking for a diner that was recommended to me (but it was closed for a few days for remodeling). Right next to it was a Mom's Restaurant, but it closes at 3PM. Shuttle driver said that was his favorite in the area. Also right there to the north about one block, was a Shell gas station. I picked up my 12 cans of Pepsi for the cruise and carried it back to the motel. They had beer but I didn't see any wine, etc. I not a drinker so didn't pay much attention.

As soon as you check in...be sure to sign up for the $5.00 shuttle to the pier. They had 11:30 12:30 and 1:30 shuttles. They share the van ride with the Comfort Inn next door to the south. The early ones fill up fast. (Also they do NOT pick you up at the end of the cruise even if you are staying at the motel post cruise.) The 11:30 was packed full and we made it in about 15 minutes. They pull right up to the port where they unload the luggage and you tip the pier handlers with their large dollies. Then proceed up the outside esculator and enter the large, AC, (although I had a wind-breaker on due to cool weather in Tampa that morning)clean, carpetted check-in hall. Everyone was very nice and in good humor. I had to fill out Britsh Virgin Island immigration card (why didn't they put it in the pre-sent info????) and then I was on my way to check-in and up the next escalator to the ship.

Sorry, I got carried away with too many details.

I would stay at the HIE again ($98.10) or even the Comfort Inn next door at a cheaper amount.

The pool was nice. Security was evident. USAToday paper was provided.

Just can't say enough good about this hotel. Great for a pre/post cruise!!

Hope you have a wonderful time!! :cool: Deb C.

Does anyone know if the new Embassy Suites actually opened this month? If so, does the inside seem finished? We booked both it and the Waterside Marriott for the end of December and are trying to decide between the two. The Embassy Suites breakfast is a plus, but a new paint smell or missing facilities would be a minus. Thanks!

We are flying into St. Petersburg/Clearwater before our cruise next March. The price was too good to pass up. I have booked the Holiday Inn Express on Icot Blvd in Clearwater. Does anyone know anything about this hotel? Thanks.

Great airport to fly into, very quick in and out! You will be close to many places to eat and about 30 minute drive to port over the Howard Franklin Bridge.

We are flying into St. Petersburg/Clearwater before our cruise next March. The price was too good to pass up. I have booked the Holiday Inn Express on Icot Blvd in Clearwater. Does anyone know anything about this hotel? Thanks.

watsonsmom,

The Icot Blvd is an office/corporate area. It is a grouping of building area set up to support businesses. It is safe but bland.

There area many places to eat though since many companies have people going in and out.

In 15 minutes or so you can be at the beach and it is about 30 minutes to the port across the Howard Frankland Bridge.

If you aren't looking for water or sand...it should be OK and is very close to the airport.

Does anyone know if the new Embassy Suites actually opened this month? If so, does the inside seem finished? We booked both it and the Waterside Marriott for the end of December and are trying to decide between the two. The Embassy Suites breakfast is a plus, but a new paint smell or missing facilities would be a minus. Thanks!

MJ

The Marriott is a fine hotel. Just walk right down the path to the docks. You can just step ouside and look to your left and see the ships. It has a great sports bar, pool and a view of the ship from your room. If your up early the morning you sail, you can even catch the ship as it returns at about 5 am.

Looks like Embassy suites is open from it's web site. We have as well made reservations for both Embassy suites and Marriott waterside for our precruise 2/9-2/11/07. I would like to hear any reviews of either. The pool at the Marriott looks very nice not sure about Embassy's pool. The breakfast at Embassy is a plus but their price is higher; probabily could take the extra cash and get breakfast on your own. Embassy suites is new and not sure is Marriot waterside is "worn", thought I saw review it was showing some wear and tear. Having a hard time making a decision.:confused:

Looks like Embassy suites is open from it's web site. We have as well made reservations for both Embassy suites and Marriott waterside for our precruise 2/9-2/11/07. I would like to hear any reviews of either. The pool at the Marriott looks very nice not sure about Embassy's pool. The breakfast at Embassy is a plus but their price is higher; probabily could take the extra cash and get breakfast on your own. Embassy suites is new and not sure is Marriot waterside is "worn", thought I saw review it was showing some wear and tear. Having a hard time making a decision.:confused:

The Marriot Waterside is exactly that. It sits right on the water just east of the cruise ship piers. Even though living in Tampa I have stayed there several times for the Gasparilla Invasion. Very nice hotel.

The Embassy sits across the street. It is not on the water. It also has the Tampa Convention center across the street.

If the price is really different (Embassy being lower take it.) If price is close or the money isn't an issue...Marriot Waterside is the way to go. Make sure though that you are booked in a waterview room.

Just read your post again...Question...are you saying the Embassy downtown is more expensive than the "Marriot Wagterside"? Or are you talking about the Marriot Courtyard?

Jessemon,

Just a quick note to thank you for recommending Chase Suites in Tampa..had a 2 br suite which actually was a 2 level condo. Staff was wonderful. Bahama Breeze next door for dinner and outdoor entertainment was great!

LOVED IT!

Thanks again for all of the time and knowledge that you share here...it is greatly appreciated!