Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

Hi all,

Can anyone help?

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express on N. Dale Mabry Hwy. for a 1 night precruise. Is this close to the port? Also, we are catching a performance on that night at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center. How far away are we from that? Good neigbhorhood? Any help, suggestions or thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Can anyone help?

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express on N. Dale Mabry Hwy. for a 1 night precruise. Is this close to the port? Also, we are catching a performance on that night at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center. How far away are we from that? Good neigbhorhood? Any help, suggestions or thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

North Dale Mabry is probably about 15 miles from the port. It just can take longer to get there because of traffic and lights.

The Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center is right there downtown, close to the port. So again, figure about 15 miles. I would probably allow 30-40 minutes, just depends on time of day and traffic.

The areas are safe.

Enjoy!!

Hi all,

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Do you know what the address # is for the hotel?

Also, how are you getting around?

Jeff

4750 N. Dale Mabry Hwy.

The hotel has a shuttle from the airport and a $5.00pp shuttle to the port. Suggestions on economical transportation the the TBPAC?

Thanks!

That is great price on the shuttle...$5.00 is a very good price.

You are only about 15 to 20 minutes away unless wreck city happens.

As for going to the TBPAC...say TAXI. From where you are at...$15.00 or there abouts.

What are you seeing at TBPAC?

Jeff

Also, we are catching a performance on that night at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center. How far away are we from that? Good neigbhorhood? Any help, suggestions or thoughts would be most appreciated.

There is a Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inn a couple of blocks away from the Performing Arts Center. That is where we are staying pre-cruise in February. Got the Residence for $65/night through Priceline. http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/TPATD They have a local shuttle within three miles, which includes the cruise pier and Ybor City. It will cost about $20-25 for a taxi to the hotel, then about the same from the pier to the airport.

Hi Everyone,

Our Miracle cruise ends on Jan7/07. We are looking to stay for a couple of days after the cruise. I would like to stay on the beach. We will be renting a car, so getting there is not an issue. I have never visited the Gulf side, so, I am not familiar with any of the beaches. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Barb

We are cruising out of Tampa in January and bid on Priceline too. We got the Marriott Fairfield Inn in Brampton (right outside Tampa) $70 per night. We are also renting a car so location really didn't matter. The hotel looks ok, we are happy with our bid and our accommodations for the price.

Good luck!

We are cruising out of Tampa in January and bid on Priceline too. We got the Marriott Fairfield Inn in Brampton (right outside Tampa) $70 per night. We are also renting a car so location really didn't matter. The hotel looks ok, we are happy with our bid and our accommodations for the price.

Good luck!

I hope you meant Brandon. It will be easier to find there.:cool:

Yes, Brandon it is! I printed directions from MapQuest and will also get a local map. We get in at 11:30AM and don't think we will have too many problems finding out way around. It it were dark out it would be a different s tory........

What do you think of the area near the Hotel and the Hotel itself? Any restaurant suggestions for the neighborhood? Many thanks.....

Marion

Mparis184 - The hotel sits off on a side street. The area, in general is really busy. It's a decend and clean area. Crime not a big problem, but use regular common sense and crime prevention ideas, like not leaving anything of value in your car. Car burglaries can occur in these hotel parking lots. This is just S of SR60 (Brandon Blvd) and just to the W. of I-75. The easiest way to get out there is by going S. from the Tampa airport to I-275. Head East on I-275 to the merge with I-4. Take I-4 to the E. out to I-75. S. on I-75 to SR 60/Brandon Blvd. Go to the right at the end of the exit. The place where you need to turn L. on Faulkenburg Rd is almost immediate, so you might have to pass your turn and double back.

For restaurants - you name it, it's out there. Around the corner is a Hooters, and next to that is Sweet Tomatoes. Just to the E of I-75 (and a short distance) is Red Lobster and Olive Garden on the N. side of the road. On the South side, at the mall entrance, is Macaroni's Italian Grill and Smokey Bones BBQ. If you leave the hotel area and head S. on Faulkenburg Road, you will come to Lumsden Road. Turn L (to the E), and you will find another strip of restaurants, including Longhorn Steakhouse and others. If you can't find something you like to eat in this area, you just ain't hungry! :-)

Have fun!

Jessemon - Thanks for taking care of the thread lately. I've been (and I still am) up to my neck in work, to the point of burnout. The last thing I want to do at the end of the day is type on a computer. We still need to do the photo safari in W Tampa soon. Weather is getting nice.

Cracker Ken:

Many many thanks, you are a gem.

Since you konw the area so very well can you suggest any restaurants that the locals seem to like that are not chains? We like to go off the beaten path and find the local haunts. Usually the food is good and the prices are excellent.

Any suggestions? If I have a street name or address I can mapquest the location from our hotel and be all set.

Marion

Cracker Ken:

Many many thanks, you are a gem.

Since you konw the area so very well can you suggest any restaurants that the locals seem to like that are not chains? We like to go off the beaten path and find the local haunts. Usually the food is good and the prices are excellent.

Any suggestions? If I have a street name or address I can mapquest the location from our hotel and be all set.

Marion

I'm sure Ken will come up with more restaurants since he travels all over the place but...

Probably the most famous restaurant is the Columbia in Ybor (E-bor) city. That would be west on RT60 (Adamo Dr) to 22nd St and taake a right if I remember correctly.

It is a great place to go. Right down to the flaminco dancers show. It hase been around for about 100 yrs. Spanish/Cubann food.

It is a great place.

10 to 15 minutes from where you are staying and easy to get to.

Jeff

Google...Columbia Restaurant...just did this and it shows pics...menu...make reservations and more.

It truely is a bit of Tampa history.

Mparis184 - I hope CC doesn't lose my message this time.:rolleyes:

I agree with Jessemon about the Columbia Restaurant. It's a unique place and has been around for about 100 yrs in the same place. Interesting old building, both inside and out. Family owned since it opened. It's not cheap, but it won't break the bank either. They even have entertainment at times including Spanish music and Flamenco dancers. They have other locations in FL, but this is the first one.

Here's a link that lists restaurants in Brandon.

http://www.judysbook.com/cities/brandon-fl/Restaurants/*/p1/9/

For the immediate Brandon area, I have 3 local haunts to tell you about. I've been to all 3 of these places numerous times over the years. These are on the list linked above. Places such as these have to be good in order to stay in business for many years in a place like Brandon where there are so many choices.

Jesse's Steak and Seafood - 524 W Brandon Blvd, Brandon, FL 33511

This place has been in Brandon for many years, probably about 20 yrs or so. They have everything from sports bar fare up to great steaks. Their big burgers are really nice too. The guys I worked with took me here for lunch when I retired. I've been there many other times too. Lots of locals go here, and the parking lot can get crowded on weekend nights. This is a casual restaurant. Moderate prices.

La Septima Cafe - North Parsons Plaza, Brandon, FL 33510. Just N. of State Road 60 on the left, W side, of Parsons Avenue in the middle of brandon. Great Cuban style food. This is a favorite of locals. Great food, lots for the money, and it's not expensive. Wide variety of Cuban style food. Service is very good too. Casual restaurant. Don't be afraid of Cuban food. One of the staples is yellow or white rice with black beans, and some chopped raw onions on top if you like. They give you a lot to eat. Their breaded steak, Cuban style roast pork, and more is very good. They offer a combo plate with three types of meat dishes on it. I also recommend a side order of fried ripe plantans (platanos fritos). This is a type of banana, very ripe, sliced up, and fried. Very tasty. I love this place, and we go there to eat from time to time. This place would be good to stretch your stomach in preparation for the cruise food.:)

Babe's Pizza - 107 N Kings Ave, Brandon, FL 33510. This restaurant has been in Brandon for many years, perhaps 25-30 yrs. Great pizza. Not a chain joint, just a place that's popular with locals. This is just N of SR60 or Brandon Blvd, on the E side of Kings Avenue. Big white building with red trim, can't miss it.

Have fun!

Ken

Hey Ken,

Will get together soon with you. Going to do the Veendam in two weeks. Needed a get away.

You've been busy and for me it is football season. Guess that is slowing down our adventure. But for me, the way the Bucs/sucks are doing...I my as well do something else on a Sunday before I commit suicide watching them...LOL

Jeff

Many thanks to both of you for your expert restaurant reviews. So many good places, so little time! We will have two nights in the Tampa area and now have a great selection.

Still a few weeks to go, lots of cold and snow on the way in the meantime and then we will get out of Buffalo into Sunny Florida!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Marion

We are flying into Tampa Sat. night LATE! By the time we get luggage and to the hotel it will be midnightish. So.. don't want to spend alot for 8 hrs in a hotel. Any suggestions as to a cheap, clean hotel with shuttle service? Is is best to do priceline maybe?? This is for March 31st

Thanks so much!:)

I am flying in (a group of 10 that includes kids) on Thanksgiving Day. We get to Tampa at about 12. I know the Columbia will be open but will there be other restaurants open on Thanksgiving? We're planning on driving to Clearwater Beach that day since we assume most things will be closed but we don't have any set lunch or dinner plans since we really have no idea what will be open. As soon as we land we are going straight to Clearwater and then after awhile we'll head back to the downtown area as we're staying at the Residence Inn.

Lallybrock

Jeff,

Thanks so much for all of your insight! I think we will go with Chase...It was the first one that I found too. Bahama Breeze (we don't have them in IL so we are game!) . . .

Actually, there is a Bahama Breeze in the northwest suburbs of Chicago in Schaumburg.

Kerri

Actually, there is a Bahama Breeze in the northwest suburbs of Chicago in Schaumburg.

Kerri

Thanks Kerri! I didn't know that!

They just don't have them in our part of IL..(across the state from ya!)lol! Will have to visit that one next time we are in the Chicago area. :D

Question for Jessemon or Ken..is PF Chang's anywhere close to Chase? Reasonable cab ride or too far to worry about it? I found it listed on another hotel site but not sure of the location. I could go for some lettuce wraps Saturday afternoon..if it wasn't too far out of the way! Thanks!