Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

The Marriot Waterside is exactly that. It sits right on the water just east of the cruise ship piers. Even though living in Tampa I have stayed there several times for the Gasparilla Invasion. Very nice hotel.

The Embassy sits across the street. It is not on the water. It also has the Tampa Convention center across the street.

If the price is really different (Embassy being lower take it.) If price is close or the money isn't an issue...Marriot Waterside is the way to go. Make sure though that you are booked in a waterview room.

Just read your post again...Question...are you saying the Embassy downtown is more expensive than the "Marriot Wagterside"? Or are you talking about the Marriot Courtyard?

I am talking about the Embassy Suities Convention Center and Marriott Waterside. Both next to each other as you said. Embassy suites is $30 more per night. Marriott looks nice on the web and I think we will stay there. I thought with Embassy suites being new it may be better.

Thanks for the advise.

The Marriot Waterside is exactly that. It sits right on the water just east of the cruise ship piers. Even though living in Tampa I have stayed there several times for the Gasparilla Invasion. Very nice hotel.

The Embassy sits across the street. It is not on the water. It also has the Tampa Convention center across the street.

If the price is really different (Embassy being lower take it.) If price is close or the money isn't an issue...Marriot Waterside is the way to go. Make sure though that you are booked in a waterview room.

Just read your post again...Question...are you saying the Embassy downtown is more expensive than the "Marriot Wagterside"? Or are you talking about the Marriot Courtyard?

I am talking about the Embassy Suities Convention Center and Marriott Waterside. Both next to each other as you said. Embassy suites is $30 more per night. Marriott looks nice on the web and I think we will stay there. I thought with Embassy suites being new it may be better.

Thanks for the advise.

Jessemon,

Just a quick note to thank you for recommending Chase Suites in Tampa..had a 2 br suite which actually was a 2 level condo. Staff was wonderful. Bahama Breeze next door for dinner and outdoor entertainment was great!

LOVED IT!

Thanks again for all of the time and knowledge that you share here...it is greatly appreciated!

I second that!!!! We had a great stay there!!! Hi EMTRa :D

Does anyone know if the new Embassy Suites actually opened this month? If so, does the inside seem finished? We booked both it and the Waterside Marriott for the end of December and are trying to decide between the two. The Embassy Suites breakfast is a plus, but a new paint smell or missing facilities would be a minus. Thanks!

You may want to recheck Marriott Waterside. They now have a special which includes breakfast for 2 adults each morning. The special is now to March 31, 07, just put the code S4B in the Corporate/Promotional code box. The rate at Marriott Waterside has significantly dropped recently probably because the Embassy suites has opened taking away busniess. We have saved $100/night over Embassy suites and the breakfast is included. We have a deluxe balcony room overlooking the bay (waterside).:D

Check it out and enjoy your trip.

Good good good, because that's where we're staying! The Marriott Waterslide has no availability for the night we need (Mar 10) anyway.

Chase gives you a ship to shore package (I think that's what they call it) and they give us the room, breakfast, a shuttle to the port and back to the airport after the cruise. If we were staying on a weekday they also do a free Manager's reception too in the early evening.

We're going to eat at the Bahama Breezes for dinner. Heard only good things about it. Should be allllllll good!

Kim:)

Hi folks,

Thanks so much to Ken, Jessemon, Suncoast Girl and others who have given so freely of their time to helping others:) .

I can't believe that after many years of participation on these boards and all the valuable info I have gotten, it didn't occur to me that there would even be such a thread as this one-which I discovered the day AFTER I booked a hotel in Tampa:D

I tried several times to get a "deal" through Priceline to no avail. Ended up using Hotwire for the first time and got the Best Western Westshore for 2 nights in April at $66 a night. Good price, but the reviews vary quite a bit-one of them noted that it is next to a strip club-heckuva time to have my wife with me! We are coming down two days early in order to take advantage of airfare of $45 plus tax from Philly so didn't want to spend too much on a place to stay. We would appreciate any feedback on this hotel.

Anyway, the main reason I am posting is to ask further about public transportation. I searched back to April (like a good boy), and saw a few references, but I would like to have more info. Does the city bus or other public tran go near our hotel and to downtown or other areas that might be of interest? We regularly walk several miles a day, so something nearby would be fine. We have a day and a half to kill and would love to enjoy a bit of Tampa without renting a car.

Thanks in advance for any assistance:) .

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Hi folks,

Thanks so much to Ken, Jessemon, Suncoast Girl and others who have given so freely of their time to helping others:) .

I can't believe that after many years of participation on these boards and all the valuable info I have gotten, it didn't occur to me that there would even be such a thread as this one-which I discovered the day AFTER I booked a hotel in Tampa:D

I tried several times to get a "deal" through Priceline to no avail. Ended up using Hotwire for the first time and got the Best Western Westshore for 2 nights in April at $66 a night. Good price, but the reviews vary quite a bit-one of them noted that it is next to a strip club-heckuva time to have my wife with me! We are coming down two days early in order to take advantage of airfare of $45 plus tax from Philly so didn't want to spend too much on a place to stay. We would appreciate any feedback on this hotel.

Anyway, the main reason I am posting is to ask further about public transportation. I searched back to April (like a good boy), and saw a few references, but I would like to have more info. Does the city bus or other public tran go near our hotel and to downtown or other areas that might be of interest? We regularly walk several miles a day, so something nearby would be fine. We have a day and a half to kill and would love to enjoy a bit of Tampa without renting a car.

Thanks in advance for any assistance:) .

Hey Bob,

Westshore is a pretty good area. Two malls and plenty of places to eat.

Ken knows the hotels better than I do because he has to use them when he has to stay in Tampa.

As far as public transit goes try this....http://www.hartline.org

Hartline is the public transit system here. It might take hunting through it to find the info you need (it is the government that set it up...LOL) but it should help. I would be sure the buses run near to there because (and don't take this wrong) of the hotel and restaraunt employees.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff:)

The link is a bit hard to use, but it is apparent that buses go very near our hotel, and I'm sure that the staff there can give us specifics.

I wish we were going the month before as I am a die hard Yankee fan and would have liked to see a spring training game.

Muchas gracias

Thanks Jeff:)

The link is a bit hard to use, but it is apparent that buses go very near our hotel, and I'm sure that the staff there can give us specifics.

I wish we were going the month before as I am a die hard Yankee fan and would have liked to see a spring training game.

Muchas gracias

You are more than welcome....

On the point of the Yankees tickets....you wouldn't stand a chance. If you don't have season tickets for spring traing for the past 5 years....it don't happen anymore.

It is a great place to see a ball game though. Looks just like a small Yankees Stadium.......

Thanks for the help on our Embassy Suites vs. Marriott Waterside decision, Salt, Jim and Bev, and Jessemon. We are going at the height of high season (between Christmas and New Year's) so the Embassy and Marriott are almost the same price, and the S4B Marriott price is a lot higher. I think we are going to opt for the Marriott, like Jim and Bev.

Just to let anyone interested in staying at the Embassy Suites Tampa Airport/Westshore know I have just found rates for the suite cruisen pkg for $149.00 a night w/tranport to the port. Its on there web site. When I called and talked to someone on site they said there must have been a mistake.. But until it is fixed they will honor it. So if your looking I think its a great deal. Breakfast is included..

Thanks for the help on our Embassy Suites vs. Marriott Waterside decision, Salt, Jim and Bev, and Jessemon. We are going at the height of high season (between Christmas and New Year's) so the Embassy and Marriott are almost the same price, and the S4B Marriott price is a lot higher. I think we are going to opt for the Marriott, like Jim and Bev.

At least online it seems like Marriott is the right pick. Too bad the S4B code is so much higher, for us it was only $20/night which seemed OK since you get free breakfast. You may want to call them to see what the added cost to your current reservation would be by adding the S4B code; this is what we did.

Let us know how you like the Marriott.:)

My DH and I returned a few days ago from a Caribbean cruise and stayed one night in the Chase Suites on Rocky Point, Tampa, Fl. prior to cruising It really was a suite: fireplace albeit no wood for burning yet; sitting area; desk & chair; large comfortable bed; separate vanity from the toilet/tub/shower area; and a kitchen with granite counter tops (I don't even have that in my condo ... shucks), dishwasher, microwave, etc. etc. etc. Fully loaded kitchen. We booked the ship/shore special which included shuttle service from the airport, the hotel to the port and then from the port back to the airport. We did not utilize the service from the port back to the airport because we made other arrangements. Chase Suites is a very nice condominium appearing complex and right next door is Bahama Breeze (I think that was the name) and we had the best calamari I have ever eaten with the exception of one time in Greece. I would recommend both the Chase Suites and the Bahama Breeze. And the price was under $150 including taxes for suite and transportation. I understand that the shuttle will also take you to a mall if you so desire. We didn't have enough time to utilize it but if the chance occurs again, I will book longer than one night.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to check in my luggage for my cruise (Inspiration) and wander around Channelside for a bit before checking-in and boarding the ship? Or, can I check-in and leave the ship for a while to visit Channelside?

Thanks - happy new year to all!

Liz

My DH and I returned a few days ago from a Caribbean cruise and stayed one night in the Chase Suites on Rocky Point, Tampa, Fl. prior to cruising. We didn't have enough time to utilize it but if the chance occurs again, I will book longer than one night.

Glorya, this is good to hear! We're booked there for the night before our cruise as well. I wondered what that restaurant was like too. Figured it would "get us in the mood" for the Caribbean! LOL

And Liz, you can check into the ship and leave it again to walk around the port area if you wish. Just make sure to be back WELL before leaving time so you don't miss your cruise.

Kim

Thanks that's good to know. We always board early and have lunch. We sail at 4:30PM but that doesn't give us too much time. Something to consider. I love the first day on the ship. So many things to check out, get the feel for our new home.

Marion

I never go to Channelside, even though I live here... wish I could compare it to New Yorkers and the Empire State Building, but something gets lost in the translation... Even my TA was not sure, so I'll spread the word.

Me - miss a cruise? Never!!!

This is a terrific thread - I'll pop-in more often to see if I can help too!

Happy New Year to all -

Liz

We are two couples booked for the Zenith repositioning cruise (her finale b4 moving to Spain) and need two rooms. Have two sites in mind so far, both by Legends Field - the Holiday Inn Express and the Comfort Inn. Anyone have any opinions on these hotels or the location? I did notice the Chase Suite website and thought about that too. Can't see spending a fortune just to sleep since we won't be arriving until 7:30 PM. Need to save our $'s for Bloody Mary's, Dark & Stormy's and Martini's!

Thanks in advance for you help.............

We are two couples booked for the Zenith repositioning cruise (her finale b4 moving to Spain) and need two rooms. Have two sites in mind so far, both by Legends Field - the Holiday Inn Express and the Comfort Inn. Anyone have any opinions on these hotels or the location? I did notice the Chase Suite website and thought about that too. Can't see spending a fortune just to sleep since we won't be arriving until 7:30 PM. Need to save our $'s for Bloody Mary's, Dark & Stormy's and Martini's!

If you look back a little on this thread (10 or 15 pages) I think you will find the info you are looking for. Both those places have been covered on the thread.

They are in an OK area with places to eat if need be.

I think next to the Holiday is Sam Seltzers. Steaks...prime rib and such at a moderate price. It is good too.

I never go to Channelside, even though I live here... wish I could compare it to New Yorkers and the Empire State Building, but something gets lost in the translation... Even my TA was not sure, so I'll spread the word.

Me - miss a cruise? Never!!!

This is a terrific thread - I'll pop-in more often to see if I can help too!

Happy New Year to all -

Liz

Liz,

I also live in Tampa and go to Channelside all the time. Love to look at the ships and think of my next cruise.

You have two bars/resraurants...Margarita Mama's and Bennigan's that are on the second level with outside bars. Good for a drink. Alsso there is Tina Tappas...good but a tad pricey. Thai Thannie which I have never tried. A bar/restaurant with a bowling ally in it...different.

There is an Imax theater and shops.

Short walk from the ships.

I like Margarita Mama's even though I don't drink margaritas. great view if a ship is not in front of it. If sso...you can watch all the people walking around on board.

Check it out.

I have read all 60 pages of this thread. I have 3 full pages of notes. I had it done. Hilton Airprt, but i need it pre and post cruise . Post is 89 dollars but pre is 180 and i am not will to paythis for just a bed since i am arriving late. So... I have searched for Comfort inn first hand reports. It is mentioned 7 times but not one first hand response. Anyone, Anyone ever stayed there themselves or Ken do you have an opinion lately, you said it was ok awhile ago.

Sorry for the ramble but i really tried to read this site and do it myself but...

La Quinta airport is my only other option, anyone?

Thanks for any help