Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

We are booked into the Hampton Inn Airport/Westshore on Laurel Street for the night before our Jan 27th cruise.

We've got two rooms for 4 adults and one child

For about the same money I can get the two bedroom suite at Chase Suites. We won't have a vehicle, and my parents are in their mid-70's, and my father is legally blind.

Which will be a better choice and more convenient? Also, we're sailing while there is a big festival in town.

Thanks!

PS: This is a GREAT thread - thanks for all the hard work!

[B]Susan in Maine - [/B]Most people, including some of my co-workers who have stayed there, like the Chase Suites. It's nice and quiet out there on Rocky Point. It's right next door to a decent restaurant (the parking lots join) called Bahama Breeze. Chase is a few miles further away from the port than the Hampton Inn is, like about 5 miles or so. If you stay at Chase Suites, you won't need a taxi to eat dinner, if you eat next door. If you stay at the Hampton, you will need a taxi or the hotel shuttle to take you to area restaurants, which aren't very far away (1/2 to 2 miles to several good restaurants). If you check directly with the hotel (not via web site), you may be able to arrange a shuttle service to the cruise terminal for less than a taxi.

Looks like you may be in town for the Gasparilla Parade and related festivities. Tampa can be a very hectic and busy place that weekend. A good cab or shuttle van driver can get you around the mess and to the terminal without much delay. They have a pirate invasion with a pirate ship called the Jose Gaspar, and it has a huge floatilla of boats along with it. Once the invasion is over, they regroup and have the grand parade through downtown Tampa and out Bayshore Blvd. Almost everything will be to the West of the cruise terminals, and it won't be blocked.

Ken

I'm cruising out of Tampa in March. Previously I've stayed at the downtown Sheraton, but that's booked solid. I found the Quorum Hotel near the airport for $119. Excellent reviews on TripAdvisor.com. Shuttle from the airport, but not to the cruise port.

We'll be sailing from Tampa on Jan 7. This was supposed to be a cruise from Ft Lauderdale but due to some family changes the cruise has been changed to Tampa.

One of our group is driving in the night before and looking for a hotel for one night with a parking package. The Quorum Hotel in Tampa offers a park and fly (or cruise) package for $159.00, 813-289-8200. They get great reviews on Tripadvisor.com, they used to be a Crowne Plaza.

La Quinta Tampa Bay Airport, 813-287-0440, offers a park and cruise package for $90.00. A shuttle to the cruise port begins at 11:00 am and costs $10.00 per person. They are within walking distance of many places to eat. Average reviews on tripadvisor.com.

We're staying at the Grand Hyatt due to getting a great rate through work, $111.00. Not really thrilled with the location since all the reviews say there's nothing else around this hotel but we'll probably have a rental car. I'll be sure to write reviews of the hotels when we get back.

Thanks to everyone for your great information on this thread, I've read through every one of the answers and it's been an invaluable guide to Tampa hotels.

Ms B

[quote name='SunshineCity']I got a rate of $109.00 for a Casita Suite at the Grand Hyatt off their website. I will have a rental car so I am not worried about being out by the airport.

Keep checking the expensive hotels websites, from time to time they really lower their prices.[/QUOTE]
Excellent price! What date will you be staying at the Hyatt?

For those of you staying at the Grand Hyatt (a VERY nice hotel, right on the water of Old Tampa Bay) - If you want to find a restaurant that's a little more casual and that doesn't cost a fortune, there are options just a short distance to the West of the Hyatt. Those are:

Landry's Seafood
Crabby Bill's (at the Radisson Bay Harbor Inn)
Bahama Breeze (on Rocky Point Dr N of the Causeway)

There are nice restaurants at the Grand Hyatt - Oyster Catchers and Armani's, and they are both quite expensive (but worth it).

Ken

[quote name='Cracker Ken']For those of you staying at the Grand Hyatt (a VERY nice hotel, right on the water of Old Tampa Bay) - If you want to find a restaurant that's a little more casual and that doesn't cost a fortune, there are options just a short distance to the West of the Hyatt. Those are:

Landry's Seafood
Crabby Bill's (at the Radisson Bay Harbor Inn)
Bahama Breeze (on Rocky Point Dr N of the Causeway)

There are nice restaurants at the Grand Hyatt - Oyster Catchers and Armani's, and they are both quite expensive (but worth it).

Ken[/QUOTE]

Thank you Ken, we'll definately be eating at Oyster Catchers one night and we're looking for another restaurant for the next evening. Bahama Breeze might be the one. We're coming in for two nights before the cruise (staying at the Hyatt) and may be spending one night when we get off the ship. I appreciate your help and suggestions. It's good to have the knowledge of the people living in an area who are so willing to share their information with others. Thanks again.

Ms B

Thanks for everyone's help.

I just changed my reservation from The Hampton Inn Airport/Westshore to Chase Suites. What's more, I saved $40 and got a great two bedroom suite to boot!

I really appreciate all the input from everyone, especially you Cracker Ken!

Susan in Maine

I promised I would let everyone know about the hotel we stayed at in the Brandon area pre cruise...we stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Mariott. Located at 10150 Palm River Rd, the property is adjoined by the Chase Suites. We are members of the Mariott rewards program and were upgraded to a suite. (the couple we traveled with was not and had an ordinary king room, they were offered to join the rewards program so that next time they do get the upgraded room.) The hotel itself was clean, very quiet, the bedding was luxurious and it was a newer property.
Seth, the manager checked us in and was very hospitable. We asked for directions to the pier and restraunts in the area and was given typed detailed directions. (a first for us!). We found the pier quite easily on Saturday just to see where we would be going on Sunday.
The hotel offered a Continental breakfast that was very nice. We even made waffles and sausage biscuits. The room was $89.00 plus tax and was well worth it. We would stay there again. The hotels phone number is: 813-661-9719 for those interested.
We must comment on the Miracle and her crew...what an awesome staff and ship! From the moment we pulled our car up to the first attendant to the Valet who gave us our car back the following week everyone was at his or her best. Awesome service and attention to detail all week...
embarkation went so smooth as did the self assist debarkation. Wish they would teach some of the other ports like Miami how they did it!

We will be off our ship at 10:00am and do not fly out of Tampa to Toronto until 7:00pm. We are looking for a hotel that will let you book a day room - don't mind paying full fare, just want something from 10 in the morning until maybe 4pm. Someplace with a pool or beach and just need the room for changing and not too far from the airport.
Does such a thing exist? BTW, we are a large group - 10 people.
thanks, Judi

SunshineCity - that is what we did the day we got off the ship! We did not fly out until 6:50 so we made tee times and headed to the course right off the ship. We played like crap - but it was January and we were not in Ontario in the freezing cold and snow!

Enjoy!

[quote name='SunshineCity']Thats what we thought too! I book using aeroplan points and my flight back to Toronto isnt until 7:30PM. So we have rented a car and are in the process of researching golf courses w/ club rentals and plan on a golf day. Hope it doesn't rain!![/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]If I have read the posts correctly you will be here in Tampa in the middle of Dec? NO worries about rain...rainy season is in the summer here. Dec is dry!! Enjoy whatever course it is you are teeing off from...there are plenty to choose from!!! haha!:) [/FONT]

[quote name='SunshineCity']Thats what we thought too! I book using aeroplan points and my flight back to Toronto isnt until 7:30PM. So we have rented a car and are in the process of researching golf courses w/ club rentals and plan on a golf day. Hope it doesn't rain!![/quote]
Courses near airport...
Rocky Point (city course...5 min from airport.)
West Chase (20 mins)
The Eagles (30mins)
Rochy Point is OK but, the other two are much better.
The Eagles is a 36 hole. Two courses.
If there is a course you find and have a question...just ask...
Jeff

We'll be staying in Treasure Island a few days before our January cruise. Any suggestions for restaurants in that area. We'd probably be looking for both casual and fine dining restaurants. Thanks.

YOu should go for fine dining to SALT ROCK GRILLE on Indian Rocks Beach...for regular dining you have things near TI, such as Pep's Sea Grille

Jessemon

We are leaning towards playing Westchase. Is this a good choice?

Westchase is a nice course. It is a little pricey...but it's only money.

Can't remember when your here but figure $75.00 or so.

It is easy to get to also from the airport.