Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

Chase Suites is right next door to a place called Bahama Breeze. Not a bad place. Sits right on the water at the very top of Tampa Bay. Beleive it or not it is owned by Red Lobster...but don't hold that against it. You'll like.

Friday thru Sunday it is very busy.

Actually, Bahama Breeze is owned by Darden Restaurants. Darden owns Bahama Breeze, Red Lobster, Olive Garden and Smokey Bones. If you ever have a gift certificate for one of them, they are good at all four restaurants.:)

Actually, Bahama Breeze is owned by Darden Restaurants. Darden owns Bahama Breeze, Red Lobster, Olive Garden and Smokey Bones. If you ever have a gift certificate for one of them, they are good at all four restaurants.:)
Yes --yes, Darden is now the owner.

They bought Red Lobster from General Mills who purchased them in the 70's.

I guess I meant to say..actually, that Red Lobster and Bahama Breeze are the same company.

The only one of these four establishments I will eat at is Bahama Breeze.

But if someone has given you a gift card to any of the others...use it.

I have read and read and re-read so many posts and I'm sure this has been mentioned but I was hoping to get some current recommendations

First: on a tampa hotel that would include free parking while we are on the cruise and a transfer early morning to the cruise port. I'd like to stay at $100 or less but the free parking would be such a bonus that I'd entertain the idea of going higher. I'm pretty intimidated by priceline but would like to try to get a good rate there if I can get it figured out :)

Second: on a Tampa hotel that had transfers from the airport and then to the cruise port early am. (This is if we decide to fly)

We are still up in the air about flying (hahahaha no pun intended). It would cost the same to just drive and then not have to worry about airline luggage restrictions! (as long as we can park free that is)

Thanks for all the help!

i am looking for the same information as BOOK. i did find a comfort inn for 95.96 plus tax, the have a free shuttle from the airport and then it is $5 a person for shuttle to the pier. there is also a econ lode for $63,20 plus tax 11% i think.) there are no shuttles so that would be tasex from airport and to pier...probably about comes to about the same price....

Judy

my husband kindly reminded me that driving may not be a good idea for a couple reasons....1)it's the after thanksgiving weekend (busy), and 2) we live in Ohio and it may be bad weather then ( I didn't even think about the weather!) but I still am looking to fly in 1 (possibly 2 because it seems cheeper) nights early so transfers and location that we can shop/eat without too much travel would be GREAT!!!!

I'd recommend trying the Double Tree on W. Cypress in Tampa. Most folks report liking it OK. They provide what you are looking for. A mall and places to eat are nearby too. The price may be near what you are looking for too. As I recall, people reported a small fee for the port transfer, but I think they have a hotel shuttle from the airport. They have a parking garage there. I have pictures of the Double Tree in my Yahoo photo album which is linked in my signature block. Look under the album for Tampa. This place is an older high rise Holiday Inn, which was renovated into a Double Tree Hotel.

Ken

michellejed - The closest decent beach, is going to be Clearwater Beach. That's around 15 miles W of the Tampa International Airport (maybe more, I haven't looked up the exact mileage), and 25-30 miles from the port where the cruise terminals are. Do Google searches for Clearwater Beach Hotels, or look in one of the hotel sites like hotels.com and search up the hotels on the beach. There's lots of hotels over there, with a wide range of prices.

Ken

Ken, thanks for the information. i did go and check out the doubletree on Cypress. they want $299 a night...can that be correct??? i just want a clean place to spend the night before cruising....

let me know if you think i did something wrong in checking out this hotel.

Judy

That price seems ridiculously high priced. You may be cruising in a higher time of year (now through about April), but this is high for that place. It's not a $299 a night hotel in my opinion. There's a Sheraton next store, and I have to wonder if even they are this high. There are places on this side of town that have access to shuttles to the pier at very reasonable prices, but the hitch you have, is being able to leave your car behind, for free. Even I forget some of the things that have been written about here before, but seems like the Embassy Suites on Westshore had a setup where you can leave your car there. You might want to look them up and give them a call. Maybe some of our friends will see this post and have something to add.

Ken

Hi Judy:

I was also looking at the Comfort Inn for my 2 night pre-cruise in Nov. Then I ran onto a 10 month old Holiday Inn Express (I assume) right next door.

4750 vs. 4732 North Dale Mabry

It is about $19.00 more ($79 vs. $98), but I'm hoping a little better. (This is a AAA or AARP rate that I booked under). They have a free airport shuttle, but the pier shuttle will be $5.00pp. I'll let you know when I return after Nov. 18. I'll try to find this thread and repost here.

If you have time, keep researching the internet. Sometimes prices change,etc.

Good luck!! Deb C.:cool:

I just booked a Casita Suite and the Grand Hyatt on Bayshore for $109.00 a night for December 15th. Must be a web special. Location shouldn't be a problem because we are renting a car.

SunshineCity,

I think you mean the Grand Hyatt on Bayport Dr.

I am not aware of a Hyatt on Bayshore Dr. unless it was opened recently.

Bayshore Dr. is the very ritzy area of Tampa.

Hyatt Baypot sits right on the top of Tampa Bay on the water near the airport just off the Courtney Campbell Causeway that goes from Tampa to Clearwater.. If you booked it for that price you got a steal.

Two very good restaurants.:)

I stand corrected, but the price is what I am pleased about. I have just received an email this evening from the concierge asking them if I need anything booked for myself such as Dining Reservations, Golf and Entertainment etc. Nice Touch.

This is a very nice hotel.

The suite you booked is very close to one of the restaurants (Oyster Catchers) in the rear of the grounds. You will really like the setting of where you are staying.

Oyster Catchers is a mainly seafood restaurant. It has a beautiful view.

On top of the hotel itself the restaurant is Armanie"s.

Northern Italian and wonderful. You will be there a while.

Jackets are required for men. This place is "NOT" cheap. But it is worth every penny. Sunset is beautiful over the bay from 14 stories up.

It is first class service. First time I ate there the waiter pulled our his gold business card case and said "if you liked the way I served you tonight when you make your next reservation just ask for me" We always did.:)

The next morning at work they called me and asked if we were satisfied with everything. What a great touch

Jeff

to bad you won't be @ Oyster catchers for brunch. mmmmm :)

Armani's is one of the most expensive eats in Tampa, but good. For less expensive fare there is a Bahama breeze and a landry's(sp?) near by too. Your hotel is not to far from the port, but closer to the airpot. great price

We drove my the Embassy Suites - Convention Center. I was telling Jimmy it still looks pretty "incomplete".

The Embassy Suites - Westshore was fine. It looked a little "tired" in some places...but they had equipment in the back ...so perhaps they are going to do some remodeling as soon as the other location is up and running.

The staff was excellent. Made to order full breakfast was great and so was the free booze for 2 hours every night.

We felt comfortable walking over to the Westshore Mall. The hotel called a taxi for us when we needed to go to the pier. It was $20 from the hotel. ($22.00 from the pier back to the airport after the cruise)

We had a WONDERFUL cruise....love the Miracle!!!!

I am sailing on the Miracle Dec. 3...my question is to those of you who have stayed with Chase Suites. I see the 139.00 room rate for the 2BR suite..however, they also have a "ship/shore" rate of 179.00 for the same room. Rate states that it includes transportation to/from port/airport as well as parking at the hotel. Do I have to book that rate if we are flying in? I don't mind paying a little extra but if others have had the transportation to/from for 139.00 I just wondered how you booked it.

It looks like a nice hotel and has excellent reviews from recent travelers here at CC.

Another question to those of you who are in Tampa or have sailed from there..do you think that we would be better paying the extra $$ and staying at one of the nicer places closer to the port? More to do? Easier to get around? I am perfectly fine taking cabs..just curious as to your opinions. We are arriving on the 2nd (my birthday) and I might like to take in a few sights..or cocktail/dinner/ or lay by a pool..or something! :D

First time out of TPA, first time on Miracle and first time taking mom instead of DH..so any help you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated!:)

I am sailing on the Miracle Dec. 3...my question is to those of you who have stayed with Chase Suites. I see the 139.00 room rate for the 2BR suite..however, they also have a "ship/shore" rate of 179.00 for the same room. Rate states that it includes transportation to/from port/airport as well as parking at the hotel. Do I have to book that rate if we are flying in? I don't mind paying a little extra but if others have had the transportation to/from for 139.00 I just wondered how you booked it.

It looks like a nice hotel and has excellent reviews from recent travelers here at CC.

Another question to those of you who are in Tampa or have sailed from there..do you think that we would be better paying the extra $$ and staying at one of the nicer places closer to the port? More to do? Easier to get around? I am perfectly fine taking cabs..just curious as to your opinions. We are arriving on the 2nd (my birthday) and I might like to take in a few sights..or cocktail/dinner/ or lay by a pool..or something! :D

First time out of TPA, first time on Miracle and first time taking mom instead of DH..so any help you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated!:)

Let me try to help.

It sounds like the Chase Suites for the extra money will transport you.

On the 2nd ?...How old is Mom? How much will she be willing to do.

You can always stay at the Mariott very near Channelside (where the ships dock) lots to do. Channelside complex with movies, dining, dancing,bands and a dueling piano bar.

You can hop on a trolley and go to Ybor City. Crazy place at night but OK til 7:00 or 8:00.

Let us know Moms age...

Thanks so much for the suggestions jessemon..I have been following your singles cruise threads too..thought you "looked" familiar! :)

Mom is 59...and pretty brave! lol!

I am taking her on her first cruise..she really has no clue what to expect. I had to pick a port I know nothing about! I want it to be a fun trip from beginning to end. However, I don't want to OVERdo on the 2nd so we can get an early start to the port and ready to go in the morning! Does that help?

Thanks so much for the suggestions jessemon..I have been following your singles cruise threads too..thought you "looked" familiar! :)

Mom is 59...and pretty brave! lol!

I am taking her on her first cruise..she really has no clue what to expect. I had to pick a port I know nothing about! I want it to be a fun trip from beginning to end. However, I don't want to OVERdo on the 2nd so we can get an early start to the port and ready to go in the morning! Does that help?

We here in Tampa hope you have looked through what is the most extensive thread for any city in the US on these boards. We also have fun doing this.

59 is not over the hill by any means but you probably know what Mom would prefer.

Near Chase Suites is a nice restaurant called Bahama Breeze and it is a good place. If you are in early I think I remember seeing on this thread that they will take you over to the International Mall. (Maybe Ken will remember) Lots of upscale shops and dining venues.

I am not try ing to coax you but when my Mom was 59...I would do Chase. It is right on top of Tampa Bay. Water in front and close to airport. 5 mins. 20 mins to port.

Bahama Breeze will have some entertainment on the large outdoor covered deck.

Hope I have helped.

Jeff

PS: Thanks for following the solo thread I have going. It has mostly been a hoot.:D