Carnival Hellgend I mean Legend 5-3-09!

carmelinam

Why did Liberty and Valor get rerouted and Legend didn't?

What's Legend's itinerary? I know they sail out of Tampa and maybe that's why they had nowhere to go? They had already been to Belize, right? I guess Key West would have been the only possibility for them.

They had nowhere to go because all the other ports were too full to accomodate another ship last minute, or at least the ports close enough for them to get to. Some of the islands/ports are too small for more than a couple of ships, tender ports are limited to the number of tenders available, and there are port regulations the ships, and big powerful corportations like Carnival HAVE to abide by!! Everyone that books a cruise needs to realize the ports may and many times are canceled for a variety of reasons, be prepared with a good attitude and you will still have a good time.

And for customer serivice, how easy do you think it is for the crew of a ship to change their routine last minute!! PLease, give them a break.

As for a warning for Roatan, we went there last Oct, and there was talk of unrest when we were there, thankfully it was uneventful. But the very next week, the port was closed, but was reopened fairly quickly. Roatan is a very beautiful, friendly, quiet island, normally, but being right off the coast of Honduras, they have had some problems with the mainlanders coming over.

Carnival has no control over these situations, and the other cruise lines I am sure have done the same thing this week.

I am very fortunate, all my cruises I have never had to miss a port. But I always go knowing it can happen, and will make the best of it.

Gotta love these "passenger rallies". Sorry Op, 500 people is a riot waiting to happen when they are unhappy. One wrong word and all hell would have broken lose.

As others have said, had you read your cruise contract you would know they can choose not to go to ports "for the safety of their crew and passengers".

I am sorry you weren't happy with your cruise, but be grateful all 20 of your group are home and in one piece.

and the OP wonders why there was security all over the ship. They didn't want civil unrest on the ship.

Bill

BE AWARE! We were lied to! We were told that we had a 7 day cruise with 4 ports. We did 2 ports and got 40.00 back for the other 2 ports we didn't do!

Sorry to tell you buddy but you were NOT lied too! Are you unable to read?? Did you not read your cruise contract?? Do you always travel with your head buried in the sand??

EVERY CRUISE LINE IN THE WORLD has the legal right to change any/or all itineraries at any time. Why is this soooooo suprising to you??

It happens all of the time. It is a chance you take when choosing to cruise and everyone is informed of it long before sailing.

I dare you to go cry about your "hell cruise" to all of the recent Mexican Riviera cruisers, some of who spent 6 days at sea!! That's the life of cruising.

I think at the point the Legend was rerouted, they did not have enough time for another port and get back to Tampa on schedule. I was on the Valor, Key West was a scheduled change for Cozumel before we sailed. Roatan was bypassed and an extra day at sea added going to Belize. The Legend was bypassing Cozumel and was scheduled for Roatan instead. By the time they got that far south and Roatan was cancelled, they did not have enough time for another port.

We were on the Legend, we found out when we left Belize that Roatan was cancelled, we were very disappointed that we missed Roatan, but it didn't ruin our cruise, we had a great time. Did Carnival handle it the right way? No, they knew before we got to Belize that we were not going to Roatan.

BE AWARE! We were lied to! We were told that we had a 7 day cruise with 4 ports. We did 2 ports and got 40.00 back for the other 2 ports we didn't do!Valor and Liberty same itineary they got re routed! Thankfully we went with a group of 20 ages 1-60 and made the best of it! When we were told that about cozumel ok fine but when we were told the night before we need to arrive in Roatan that we are staying at sea we were all pissed. they just finishing selling me excursion tickets at 5pm for roatan just to cancel roatan a t 6. When we left belize we were doing circle after circle after circle in the ocean and at 10 knots while the valor had passed us at sea as they left belize! So they can make it to there next port of call. We were so upset because no one had answers as to why we were staying at sea. We all paid 900.00 and at least 50% of the passengers rallied in the middle of the ship about what we can do to come as a whole and get our money back! Nothing was out of control as a matter of fact a few young men started the rally with an older woman and was explaining to all 500 plus people if we can act as aduults and not get out of control. We all did that. We were all standing while they were talking about how are some possible ways we can fight carnival (the corporate part) not the physical ship! We understand that it's not the crew or captain's fault but a 14 billion dollar company can't accomadate us or give us any compensation! this cruise was horrible and it should have been advertised as a circle belizean sea cruise with grand cayman bonus! It was not right that we only got 20.00 each port back. That was a huge insult. and to top it off security was all over the place acting like we were hostiages!!!! Following the poeple who had a petition going around and the people who spoke got videotaped and later that night got a threatening letter from the Captain!

Cruise from HELL!!!!

Be Aware if you think you are going on a 7 day caribbean Cruise you are not you are going on a circular booze cruise to belize with a bonus stop in grand cayman!!!!!!!!!

Was supposed to go to the western Caribbean on the Glory last week and instead was changed to the eastern...Had a great time by the way as all the passangers I talked to did......I talked to many....

As posters have said....You had a contract so get over it.....

As one poster said...If many of you got together in one place in the middle of the ship to try to demand what you should get you all should have been placed in your cabins for the rest oof the cruise.

As for me I had a great time with friends.....met new friends and spent my $20 credit for a buckets of beers......

By the way...A cruise from hell was the "Titanic"...not yours......;)

We just returned today from a 7 day cruise on the Conquest. We are well traveled and have been on many vacations, however this was our first cruise. We would have liked to stopped at Cozumel, but we were well aware that many things can happen and change things. Through research and reading these forums, we went knowing that going on a cruise is all about the CRUISING. We had a blast and enjoyed 7 wonderful days of no phones, no traffic, NO WORK. My take on the ports we did call on is that you are just getting a taste of those locations any way, so really the ports are secondary in the scheme of things. If you don't enjoy relaxing, seeing gorgeous sunrises and sunsets all while being catered to by staff that really seemed to want to do for you, and not just doing a job, then cruising is probably not your thing after all. No we didn't call on three ports as advertised, but count me in as sold on cruising.:D

Did Carnival handle it the right way? No, they knew before we got to Belize that we were not going to Roatan.

How was carnival supposed to handle? What does it matter if they tell you as you are leaving Belize or wait until later?

As many people have stated it is a common occurrence for this Civil outbreak in Roatan and they do not last for very long. It is possible that is was not a FOR CERTAIN no to docking untill when they announced it to the passengers.

And even if it was a for sure no and they just didn't tell you as you were leaving Belize...the only thing they saved themselves was the guests getting angrier sooner.

Are you telling me that out of 500 people that came together not one of them read the contract and said guys and girls,,,,,,, I think we may be wrong here.

Glad all made it home safe. Just being away form home is enough for me. I would enjoy 7 days of cruising in circles before I enjoy 7 days of being home.

Have a safe and fun cruise all!

I also hope you'll get some cash back,,,, I could use your example when I have a complaint.

It's because we live in a society today that tells us big companies owe us something. Lawyers tell us to hire them and they will sue even if the company didn't do anything wrong. Then the jury says, that poor lady got her mouth burned by hot coffee. McDonalds should have warned her that the coffee was hot. Lets award her in excess of 1 mill. It does stink that they missed two ports. I feel for them, but, it wasn't Carnivals fault they missed two ports. And I'm not sticking up for Carnival, I just don't see any justification for the original post except to blow off steam.

Gotta love these "passenger rallies". Sorry Op, 500 people is a riot waiting to happen when they are unhappy. One wrong word and all hell would have broken lose.

".

I have to agree with this. If I had been the Captain I would have dumped all 500 at the nearest port.

Not long ago a lawyer started some crap about a canceled stop. They kicked him off in Jamaica.:eek: Now that COULD be a "Cruise from Hell".

Read your contract. They can do it.

A number of people on this thread have already mentioned how quickly civil unrest in Roatan can break out, and stop. Carnival probably didn't tell you in advance of the missed port, because there may have still been a chance you would have gone, going on past experience. At least they were trying to get you there.

I can just imagine this group of Legend cruisers hanging Mickey Mouse from a lamp post and threatening to burn Disney World to the ground because the "It's A Small World" ride is out of order.:rolleyes:

Ok, that comment made me snort out loud (or in Disney language, you made me ink!)!!!

Believe it or not I did witness a man having a full blown melt down screaming while turning purple tantrum at Disney World because the staff would not refund his $900 worth of park tickets because it rained 2 out of 10 days during his August trip (peak rain/hurricane season!)!!!!

Some people really need to get a grip. If they want the "perfect" vacation they should stay home and drink margarita's while watching the Travel Channel.

On Tue. 5/5, at breakfast on the south shore of Roatan I saw a cargo ship do a Uturn. Then from a dive boat I saw a Carnival ship trying to come in. That is when the blockade started. My resort had to water taxi staff in. It is a different issue than last fall. Google "Roatan riot" you'll find a few pictures. Three cruise ships missed this stop last week even cargo was affected and the airport. The military police(100-200) came in from the mainland Wed night? and it was neutralized. There are rumors that another more peacefull protest is scheduled Mon. 5/11. Flew home 5/9, and can't wait to book my week next year. REALLY!!!

On Tue. 5/5, at breakfast on the south shore of Roatan I saw a cargo ship do a Uturn. Then from a dive boat I saw a Carnival ship trying to come in. That is when the blockade started. My resort had to water taxi staff in. It is a different issue than last fall. Google "Roatan riot" you'll find a few pictures. Three cruise ships missed this stop last week even cargo was affected and the airport. The military police(100-200) came in from the mainland Wed night? and it was neutralized. There are rumors that another more peacefull protest is scheduled Mon. 5/11. Flew home 5/9, and can't wait to book my week next year. REALLY!!!

Indy, where did you dive. We will be on the Legend next week and have a diving trip booked at Anthony's Key. Hows the water?:)

If it were you on this cruise you would have done the same thing. PS Let's see if you miss ports and pay for sailing. i sure didn't! You are entitled to your opinion and my opinion is Carnival SUX Royal Rocks!!!!!!!!

No I wouldn't have.. I know by getting on a cruise anything can happen.. Including missed ports.. and that they will do what's best for the passengers... I will make the best of any situation and not whine whine whine.

btw i've been on Royal.. it's the same as Carnival except the cruise cost more than the Carnival ones i've been on.. I'm sure Royal has and will continue to cancel ports if there is problems at the port.. again for passenger safety.. sorry you don't seem to be all that concerned with your safety but no cruise line is going to take chances.

I just realized the real reason so many passengers were out of sorts! The previous week there was a "SWINGERS" cruise on the Legend. Maybe all the cleaning fluids and disinfectants used were still in the air and affected their thought processes :D

WOW.........

Im afraid to write a review when I come back....Especially if there is anything Negative....

You Carnival people will rip my face off.....

All the poster was saying how bad it was, and I understand where he is coming from. My wife and I Luv going to see other ports and don't care for the at sea days...

There is 5 pages of negativity on here........

Wow...

I'm not sure why anyone is saying they paid for 4 ports. They paid for 7 days on a ship with meals, bed, and entertainment included. The ship will go to those ports if weather permits or if the natives aren't restless and the crew will put out the gangway to let you leave and return as you please, but they don't HAVE to go to the ports. Why are people thinking they pay to go to the ports? If we have a comfortable bed to sleep in and we are given the opportunity to eat all of our meals and they were good, and we are given the opportunity to attend entertainment and it was good, then we plain old got what we paid for.

BE AWARE! We were lied to! We were told that we had a 7 day cruise with 4 ports. We did 2 ports and got 40.00 back for the other 2 ports we didn't do!Valor and Liberty same itineary they got re routed! Thankfully we went with a group of 20 ages 1-60 and made the best of it! When we were told that about cozumel ok fine but when we were told the night before we need to arrive in Roatan that we are staying at sea we were all pissed. they just finishing selling me excursion tickets at 5pm for roatan just to cancel roatan a t 6. When we left belize we were doing circle after circle after circle in the ocean and at 10 knots while the valor had passed us at sea as they left belize! So they can make it to there next port of call. We were so upset because no one had answers as to why we were staying at sea. We all paid 900.00 and at least 50% of the passengers rallied in the middle of the ship about what we can do to come as a whole and get our money back! Nothing was out of control as a matter of fact a few young men started the rally with an older woman and was explaining to all 500 plus people if we can act as aduults and not get out of control. We all did that. We were all standing while they were talking about how are some possible ways we can fight carnival (the corporate part) not the physical ship! We understand that it's not the crew or captain's fault but a 14 billion dollar company can't accomadate us or give us any compensation! this cruise was horrible and it should have been advertised as a circle belizean sea cruise with grand cayman bonus! It was not right that we only got 20.00 each port back. That was a huge insult. and to top it off security was all over the place acting like we were hostiages!!!! Following the poeple who had a petition going around and the people who spoke got videotaped and later that night got a threatening letter from the Captain!

Cruise from HELL!!!!

Be Aware if you think you are going on a 7 day caribbean Cruise you are not you are going on a circular booze cruise to belize with a bonus stop in grand cayman!!!!!!!!!

Wow, you sound really upset!!!!! It's a shame Carnival was looking out for your best interest and wanting to keep you safe and unharmed. Darn the luck that security was walking around making sure that all those who had protested, from what you say, loudly, were watched as sometimes those people can cause riots. I believe they call it, Civil Unrest, sort of like Roatan. But, forget the fact that you did get to go to Belize and Grand Cayman, and that you were compensated for those two missed ports, which by the way, no ports are guaranteed, but, let's make sure we blame Carnival for the troubles in Roatan and Cozumel. For God's sake, what the hell has happened to people when everything that happens in a foreign country is automatically Carnival's fault. Maybe you should be thanking them for their generosity in helping you to stay safe and alive and able to return home to your loved ones.... those darn Carnival corporate people!!!!!!! I'm sorry, but I am really sick and tired of hearing the whining and complaining about things that are out of Carnival's control. I am in no way a Carnival cheerleader but please, put the blame where it falls, Roatan and the swine flu. Anywhere else and you are just being ignorant.

WOW.........

Im afraid to write a review when I come back....Especially if there is anything Negative....

All the poster was saying how bad it was, and I understand where he is coming from. My wife and I Luv going to see other ports and don't care for the at sea days...

Wow...

This would happen on any other site or thread.

The poster needs to understand that if a passanger gets injured or sick due to any "cruiseline" putting them in harms way can and will unfortuanately be sued by that passanger ........

Guess we just don't quite say it politelly enough.....

And aren't you also being a little negative ????:rolleyes:

What it comes down to it seems, is there are 2 different types of cruisers; those that like cruising for the ports and those for the ship.

Unfortunately, if you cruise for the ports you are more likely to be disappointed then those that cruise for the ship when there are missed ports.

Does it make you wrong for cruising for the ports, no, nor are the others wrong for cruising for the ship. You have the right to cruise for whatever reason it is that you cruise. However, you need to be aware and take into consideration that while Carnival, as well as every other cruise line, will do their best to get you to each and every port in your itinerary, sometimes it will not happen.

Swine flu, Civil unrest, high waves, are just a few of the reasons a ship may miss a port. Some you can predict, others you can not. Swine flu, while there was info on the news and such about it, WHO did not make an official statement until late into the situation. Sure, the cruise lines knew it may happen, but a "plan b" for a cruise is not as easy to make as it is for a family in rainy weather.

Civil unrest in Roatan, as others have mentioned, is an "on again, off again" issue, that occurs in basically a blink of an eye. It can come up nad /or die down in just a few short hours. Carnival did what they felt was the safest route to go, however, if they had said hey we will just go anyway, then got there and turned around, there would still be those that would complain that they never should have gotten that close. Had they said ok we are not taking a chance and we are going to plan either a day at sea or a longer time at another port (providing they could do that with the ships already scheduled to be there), and then the unrest had settled down and other ships made the port, yep, you got it, people would complain.

Whether your group was 25% or 90% of those not happy with the changes, you placed others at risk. Yes, you all were "civil", but as anyone knows, it takes but 1 person to change that "civil" meeting into a riot.

I feel bad that you, as one that cruises for the ports, did not make all the ports you had hoped too, but I can not feel for you with the port charges that were refunded to you, nor that security chose to pay closer attention to you. I would however, love to see this "letter" those 500 of you received.

You stated your group made the best of it, and yet you also call it the cruise from hell, and yet you find it hard for people to sympathize with you. If you had made the best of the cruise, it would not have been a cruise from hell.

Just as your thoughts are yours, neither right nor wrong, my thoughts are mine, neither right nor wrong, just mine.

WOW.........

Wow...

I don't think its because it was something negative that people are getting defensive. There are those that post negative comments in an insightful manner that people can genuniely and constructively use in their own experiences and then there are posts like these. No cruise line is perfect and not every cruise line is for everybody. That being said, if you are going to make your first posts flaming about X cruise on the X board (insert cruise line), there isn't going to be much sympathy. I haven't been posting on these boards for very long but I have been reading them for quite awhile and I accredit to helping me have a positive cruising experience each time I go. The OP is either a troll or an inexperienced traveler (which I doubt because of their unwavering devotion to RCCL :rolleyes:).

That being said, I hope you have a fantastic cruise. But even if you don't I would like to hear about it in a review!

Archived