Carnival Hellgend I mean Legend 5-3-09!

carmelinam

I think the OP would be one of the first ones to sue CCL for all they are worth, if they let him off in Roatan, and he would be injured while being caught up in the local unrest.

We missed Grand Cayman due to rough seas. I was really bummed because i was really looking forward to our excursion with moby Tours.

But let's face it, if the boat cannot tender, there is nothing you can do, we even saw GC from our balcony before he turned the ship around.

You are on vacation you have to make the best of it. You are still on the ship enjoying CCL's service and hospitality. So why should they refund your money? You are not leaving the ship. In fact there is more food consumed during sea days (According to Brian "Cruise confidential)

Remember any day on a cruise ship is better than a day at work.

We just returned today from a 7 day cruise on the Conquest. We are well traveled and have been on many vacations, however this was our first cruise. We would have liked to stopped at Cozumel, but we were well aware that many things can happen and change things. Through research and reading these forums, we went knowing that going on a cruise is all about the CRUISING. We had a blast and enjoyed 7 wonderful days of no phones, no traffic, NO WORK. My take on the ports we did call on is that you are just getting a taste of those locations any way, so really the ports are secondary in the scheme of things. If you don't enjoy relaxing, seeing gorgeous sunrises and sunsets all while being catered to by staff that really seemed to want to do for you, and not just doing a job, then cruising is probably not your thing after all. No we didn't call on three ports as advertised, but count me in as sold on cruising.:D

Hi Texsun. I thought it was a great cruise too. Glad you enjoyed your cruise. I agree, seeing a port for a few hours, you really only get a taste of a port, its not seeing it in depth. I walked into Monterey Bay, against everyone's advice, just wanted to see the island for real, not from a taxi window. I enjoyed my walk into town, even though it was hot hot hot.

You sound like a cruiser at heart to me. I agree, if ports are that important to you, maybe cruising just isnt the best form of vacation, because you have to expect to miss ports for various reasons, its part of cruising. Could Carnival have handled some of this better???? Im dead on sure there is always room for improvement. Im sorry the OP let missing a couple of ports upset them, its like fighting city hall.

Cruise Critic experts should focus their superior knowledge on educating Carnival so these disappointing mistakes don't continue to occur.

but they should let you know and try to make adjustments. I can understand the disapointment.

a) Where was the mistake that you are referring to?

b) What adjustment do you have in mind?

i completely agree with you. Carnival screwed us over!!

I also wonder how many carnival employees were told to refute your review.

The beef is that carnival knew about the civil unrest in roatan on sunday may 3rd. Despite that no alternate arrangements were made for the legend.

But made for the valor and liberty. How is that fair?! They had the same contract as us...!

I was one of the 700 people that did not riot or protest. We had a get-together to voice our opinion and be heard and get some answers. And because we had a valid argument, we had such a hugeturnout. Thanks to the guys who initiated the entire thing, and the lady with them.

The captain was asked why he didn't consider docking at belize another night, becuase of the civil unrest at roatan. His answer was "we didn't consider it." i have the video on camera and will post it soon.

So carnival can "consider" another "fun day at sea" but not another day at belize!! Why? Because they make more money with 2500 passengers on board than at shore!! And had we docked at belize another night, those that had wanted to stay on ship could have done so!

By the way cdc (center for disease control and prevention) took off cozumel, mexico from it's travel advisory destinations on may 2nd.

The other options were jamaica, key west.

None of those were considered!!

So all you narrow minded, ignorant carnival backers, please get your facts straight. That was my first and last time with carnival.

$20 was an insult and i hope to god this incident bites carnival so bad one day, to make them realize not to take advantage of innocent customers such in the future.

Oh yes, one more thing. Not only were none of given the slightest hint of what was going in roatan when we boarded the ship on may 2nd, but also the fellows boarding the legend may 10th (and i spoke to a few of them) had no idea.

Shame on you carnival! I hope one day you suffer the same fate as the bankers who paid themselves fat bonuses after writing shamful contracts and fleecing innocent customers!!

Shame on you!!

So you made a new name today, May 11th, just to post this, your only post.....how anonymous of you :eek:

Valor had Cozumel replaced - not Roatan. Valor missed Roatan, just like the Legend, and did not get a replacement port for Roatan. I'm guessing that Key West is not available on Wednesdays when the Legend would need to park there. You can't just stop on a dime and say, oh wait, we're going to Jamaica/Belize/wherever instead.

Key West and Jamaica may also be too far away for the Legend to get to and still get to the other ports and back to Tampa on time.

I was on this cruise last week. I only saw maybe 200 protesting. I think the number of disappointed, but still happy-to-be-on-vacation passengers far outweighed the loud mouths.

I will be writing to Carnival to let them know while I was disappointed with the itinerary changes, the staff handled the challenges very well. I cannot believe the verbal abuse that they had to sustain from a few of the passengers. Why yell at the entertainment staff, for goodness sake?

If Carnival wants to provide me with a discount for my next cruise, I will gladly accept and book it immediately. If not, I will still book a future cruise with Carnival as I know that they were simply looking out for the welfare of their pasengers.

Those that "rallied" in the middle of the ship should have been dropped at Roatan since they too were causing "civil unrest"

What in the world are people thinking staging protests on a freaking cruise ship??

Any cruise line is not going to put their passengers in danger by stopping at a country that has civil unrest, and it would be stupid for them to.

I agree with firefly, know the rules, know what they can and can't or won't do. And for Gods sake don't INFLICT on the other passengers by staging protests on the ship.

If you want to "get even" then contact your lawyer when you come back, but don't make the other passengers suffer with you.

Carole

I was on this cruise last week. I will be writing to Carnival to let them know while I was disappointed with the itinerary changes, the staff handled the challenges very well.

If Carnival wants to provide me with a discount for my next cruise, I will gladly accept and book it immediately. If not, I will still book a future cruise with Carnival as I know that they were simply looking out for the welfare of their pasengers.

Why would you expect to get a discount on your next cruise. You WERE compensated $20 per port and say that you were happy with your cruise.

If you book within 60 days of this cruise, with Carnival, ask for your welcome back credit of $50. Id be very surprised if you get a future discount, or they would have to give one to everyone this next few weeks. If you come back saying you get a future discount, everyone should get one.

a) Where was the mistake that you are referring to?

b) What adjustment do you have in mind?

"

a)

"carnival knew about the civil unrest in roatan on sunday may 3rd. Despite that no alternate arrangements were made for the legend."

b)

"carnival knew about the civil unrest in roatan on sunday may 3rd. Despite that no alternate arrangements were made for the legend."

I still wouldn't call this a cruise from Hell........ but a disappointment.

Key West and Jamaica may also be too far away for the Legend to get to and still get to the other ports and back to Tampa on time.

All cruise lines need time to clear various regulatory and ship servicing hurdles before just sailing on into any port at will. That's one thing that keeps getting lost in these types of discussions. Extra days in port, rerouting to new ports while at sea, are not under taken at the spur of the moment. I'm sure the Splendor's recent reroute to SFO (and restop at LgBch) wasn't done at the helm.

I chimed in on the situation in Roatan last week, trying to find info and unforturnately spreading false hopes. I even read the Spainish language paper report on the events, with the help on tranlation websites. While in the reports, views from tour operators and from our internet viewpoints, the situation on the ground didn't appear to be very threatening, obviously the ships' captains and Carnival corporate had no way of ascertaining if that was true. And who can say just whether or not any civil protest will or will not spread, or threaten or not threaten passengers.

Unfortunately, those folks on the 03May09 cruise had no way of knowing about the unrest. So I empathize with the mood of disappointment. If I was on board, I might have wander over and stood in back to hear what was being said, but I probably would not have signed any petition or gone all "Jack Bauer" over a missed port. I wasn't there and don't know what the captains told their passengers, however, by the posts here, it does seem to be that the shipboard situations could have been handled a little better, especially if 500 or so show up to express displeasure.

That said, I'm embarking on 17May09 and my expectations are for an enjoyable cruise regardless of number of ports hit or missed!:D. I'm disappointed in not visiting Cozumel. If we don't hit Roatan, I'll certainly leave somewhat sadden that I didn't get to zip over the tree tops or drink a bottle of Port Royal or eat a baleada, but I won't get all up in arms over it. As someone on one of these boards said about Cozumel...another day on the ship is better than a day at the office:D

On a side note...Killian25, hope we will see you and your DW at the CC meetup on the Lido after the muster drill.

I guess he forgot to read the small print in the contract to sail on any ship. They can change what they want when the want. I think they just want to keep us safe which I am for 100%.

Why would you expect to get a discount on your next cruise. You WERE compensated $20 per port and say that you were happy with your cruise.

If you book within 60 days of this cruise, with Carnival, ask for your welcome back credit of $50. Id be very surprised if you get a future discount, or they would have to give one to everyone this next few weeks. If you come back saying you get a future discount, everyone should get one.

I certainly don't EXPECT a discount. I wasn't even going to write a letter until a senior member of the staff suggested we do so (we were just chatting - we weren't complaining).

"...When we left belize we were doing circle after circle after circle in the ocean and at 10 knots while the valor had passed us at sea as they left belize! So they can make it to there next port of call..."

I like that part.

Here's a clue: Belize is surrounded by coral reefs. EVERY ship has to sail in and out, very, very slowly, in a very convoluted path.

Do you know what Valor's itinerary is? Do you know where they were headed next and how much time they had built into their itinerary to make their ports and return home?

What does what Valor did have to do with any other ship?

People have explained that it isn't so simple as just rerouting to another port and pulling up to the pier. Are you so naive that you believe a ship can just change course and pull into the nearest port with no advance planning?

And how do you know what the cruiseline knew and when they knew it? Did the captain come on the speaker and tell you that he knew weeks ago that they couldn't make Roatan but didn't tell you just to see how PO'd you'd all get? Like it was some game?

Yes, people are jumping all over you. Why? Because we're all Carnival cheerleaders and think Carnival is perfect and can do no wrong?

NO! Because people can always find boards to complain about things but can't be bothered to find them BEFORE they book their trips/make their plans so that they are informed travelers.

THAT is why people give these Negative Nellies a hard time.

If someone comes here and posts a review that includes everything, including the good and the bad, they aren't ripped to shreds. It's the ones who just want to vent because THEY couldn't be bothered to do their homework and THEIR expecatations weren't met that aren't well received.

Post a review. Put some thought into it. Write like a reasonable adult rather than a spoiled child and people will be much more accepting of your feelings about the "cruise from hell" (which doesn't sound like it was so hellacious after all).

After reading 5 pages of comments, I've come to a few conclusions. Has anyone noticed the difference in thought between an individual with only a few posts versus one with hundreds of posts? Another point I noticed is the consistent reference's to the "cruise contract". One poster said "you signed the cruise contract", while another posted "you agreed to the contract". Maybe I'm missing something but we've never "signed" any "cruise contract". Another observance is that you don't even see the "cruise contract" until AFTER you book the cruise and make the deposit. It's just an observance where I could understand confusion between a "newbie" and a "experienced" cruiser. Communications always goes a long way. It's possible that "communication" was lacking and caused frustrations among the non-experienced. It's possible that a bit more "tactful" approach on the captains part, could have alleviated much of the frustration. JMHO

The contract is on their website for all to view.. before they book if you want to see..

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

"...When we left belize we were doing circle after circle after circle in the ocean and at 10 knots while the valor had passed us at sea as they left belize! So they can make it to there next port of call..."

People have explained that it isn't so simple as just rerouting to another port and pulling up to the pier. Are you so naive that you believe a ship can just change course and pull into the nearest port with no advance planning?

Can you imagine the out cry if they did that...

There we're enought tenders...

The port stay was too short...

We didn't plan on going to this port and the line only had a couple excursions lined up.

The port was over-crowded.

"

a)

b)

I still wouldn't call this a cruise from Hell........ but a disappointment.

Did you think that no ports were left open to go to? The Legend isn't the only cruise ship in the world..

Sorry but I don’t see a problem here. Carnival was only looking out for you and your fellow shipmates by skipping those two ports. They did take you to two ports.

What if they had changed your itinerary from a Western to an Eastern which only has two ports would you be whining about that too?

Sorry, I just can’t feel your pain.

Why are people who are placing such importance on ports going on cruises?

1. You don't get much time in most ports. If a port is important to you, it's not like a cruise is going to give you an in depth experience.

2. There is a chance you will be late to a port or miss a port due to unforeseen circumstances.

One of the first things I learned as a newbie was that cruises are often late to ports or miss ports. The cruise contract understandably covers this unpredictable issue. A bare minimum of research will reveal this.

Geez, if your satisfaction concerning a cruise hinges on making every port, prepare to be disappointed!! Next time please book a land vacation! Of course, if you do that, prepare to be disappointed when the weather sucks all week long! :rolleyes:

Since you knew all this information you should have called and let the excursion desk know all your insider information. It would have helped the OP out when they booked her excursion without this information! Cruise Critic experts should focus their superior knowledge on educating Carnival so these disappointing mistakes don't continue to occur.

Your services would really help out all the uniformed Carnival staff. Many travelers and staff don't know to get their information from this site directly.

I wouldn't have been upset over the skipped ports considering the situations, but they should let you know and try to make adjustments. I can understand the disapointment.

LMAO!! Great post and so true;)

Did you think that no ports were left open to go to? The Legend isn't the only cruise ship in the world..

Nope, didn't know that there were not ports left open to go to, but I bet that would have been great information to announce & let their own staff in on. If they had know they weren't going to the original port and had already researched that all ports were full, why were they still selling excursion tickets?

Nope, didn't know that there were not ports left open to go to, but I bet that would have been great information to announce & let their own staff in on. If they had know they weren't going to the original port and had already researched that all ports were full, why were they still selling excursion tickets?
I was on the Valor at the same time. We docked in Key West on Saturday, 5/9. We were the only ship in port the entire day. There was room for another ship. The fact is both the Valor and the Legend were in Belize the same day. That was on 5/7. The Valor had tried to dock in Roatan the previous morning, but of course we continued on to Belize. From Belize the Valor went to Key West. Apparently the Legend sailed directly back to Tampa. Could they have stopped in Key West with the Valor. Very good question as to why not. I think that is the biggest question from the people that were on the Legend. Why did the Valor get to go to Key West and they did not. Both ships left Belize at the same time and had basically the same distance to cover. It was well known that the Valor had missed Roatan the previous day, we had talked to people from the Legend while we were in port in Belize. They were scheduled to go to Roatan after leaving Belize. The one thing that may have made a difference was the fact that the Valor was scheduled to go to Key West before leaving Miami. This was a replacement Port for Cozumel.

Because the situation in Roatan was not stable - they captain might not have found out until moments before the announcement was made that they were not going to stop there!

"...

People in rant-mode don't do well with explanations it seems. Anyone who freaked over this didn't come here to get a logical explanation. What they intend to gain, only they know. I can't begin to guess.

If it is sympathy/compassion they want, going after it while in rant-mode isn't a good idea.

I was on this cruise last week. I only saw maybe 200 protesting. I think the number of disappointed, but still happy-to-be-on-vacation passengers far outweighed the loud mouths.

I will be writing to Carnival to let them know while I was disappointed with the itinerary changes, the staff handled the challenges very well. I cannot believe the verbal abuse that they had to sustain from a few of the passengers. Why yell at the entertainment staff, for goodness sake?

Those that "rallied" in the middle of the ship should have been dropped at Roatan since they too were causing "civil unrest"

What in the world are people thinking staging protests on a freaking cruise ship??

Any cruise line is not going to put their passengers in danger by stopping at a country that has civil unrest, and it would be stupid for them to.

I agree with firefly, know the rules, know what they can and can't or won't do. And for Gods sake don't INFLICT on the other passengers by staging protests on the ship.

If you want to "get even" then contact your lawyer when you come back, but don't make the other passengers suffer with you.

Carole

Anyone that has cruised before knows things happen and to just go with it.

However, I think Carnival its self is a big cause of these "peaceful" meetings.

They could diffuse most of this by simply telling people what is going on and why the decisions that are being made are being made.

Instead they say we will not be making Roatan and we are giving you $20. When a person (usually a new cruiser) asks why and a few more questions they are brushed off and when enough brushed off people get together, dangerous things can start to happen.

Before anyone gets to that point there should have been either a nice long letter sent or what I would like to see is a Q & A session with discussion.

I would have no need or want to attend because I now know, but if I was a new cruiser, I would be there.

Carnivals attitude seems to be we have made this decision, we are allowed to so just shut up.

You notice the other boards do not keep having this come up. I think it is because it is handled so much better on the other ships.

My first missed port was Cancun with NCL. They did an excellent job of informing us why (water was too choppy) and what would happen. They also offered happy hour for 3 hours and a few other things. We were given a revised activities sheet crammed with activities. I am not aware of one disgruntled person onboard.

Archived