Carnival Hellgend I mean Legend 5-3-09!

carmelinam

Quite frankly, I understand the OP frustrations. May not agree with it, but I do understand it. The $20 come from port taxes paid, not out of Carnival's pocket (it's a port tax refund, not their loss). For those that tried canceling, the operative wording is "tried". Carnival was inundated with phone calls. I know a couple that gave up being on hold for almost three hours. They tried again the next day and experienced the same. Essentially, they couldn't cancel because they couldn't contact Carnival. Did anyone compare the new Legend itinerary with the other Florida departing ships? Things like drop Cozumel, add Key West or Ocho Rios, double up Grand Cayman and etc. So what's the Legend, ground hamburger? Although Carnival has the "catch all" clause, I feel they could have done something else such as Spa price reductions or $2 Drinks or something. Instead they came out with "fend" and "deal with it" or whatever. JMHO

For once someone I agree with on this board..

Don't get me wrong I am not a complainer but it is unfair when most of us plan are vacations for a long time.....Carnival has done nothing with the Itinerary on Legend....We knew that we aren't going to Cozumel and have excepted it even know the MEDIA has blown it totally out of control. There is more swine flu in FLORIDA then in Cozumel and I guarantee that.....No one wants there vaction to change and we all know things happen......But for god sakes have a another plan to make passengers happy.........

We have missed ports on several of our cruises but we still had a good time. I think that the captain did the right thing by threatning passengers who were acting up.

I took Voyager back in 02 as well GREAT ship....We missed Grand Cayman that time and RCL credited us $50 each for OB credit...Along with or Port fees....

When we were told that about cozumel ok fine but when we were told the night before we need to arrive in Roatan that we are staying at sea we were all pissed. they just finishing selling me excursion tickets at 5pm for roatan just to cancel roatan a t 6.

I'm getting so sick of all these people complaining because they missed ports...

HELLO IT'S FOR YOUR SAFETY!!!! Would you rather encounter the violence in Roatan? Would you have been happy to get shot or hurt from the civil unrest??? I wouldn't want to be hurt.. but seems to me Carnival should let these ppl off at their ports since they are SOOOO important and let them fend for themselves with the violence and swine flu. Just don't let them back on the ship after they get it.

I took Voyager back in 02 as well GREAT ship....We missed Grand Cayman that time and RCL credited us $50 each for OB credit...Along with or Port fees....

RCL has no standard policy. We missed Coco Cay 2007and got back nothing .... as have others. I think Id rather know we are going to receive $20 than roll the dice.

All cruiselines have gotten much cheaper with their compensation since '02. ... not that Im defending Carnival, but at least you know the policy upfront. true, $20 doesnt cover the port charges, but at least its something.

RCL has no standard policy. We missed Coco Cay 2007and got back nothing .... as have others. I think Id rather know we are going to receive $20 than roll the dice.

All cruiselines have gotten much cheaper with their compensation since '02. ... not that Im defending Carnival, but at least you know the policy upfront. true, $20 doesnt cover the port charges, but at least its something.

I understand....of course they have gotten cheaper and RCL has as well. The last one we took the food was just fair compared to the RCL we took 5 yrs ago...I am just wondering why we call Carnival they seem lost in the customer service department.....

I understand the OP being upset with not getting into the ports that were scheduled. I was on the Valor at the same time. We knew in advance that we would not be gong to Cozumel and we would be going to Key West instead. We were very disappointed when we were told that we could not get into Roatan. We sat off the coast for about 2hrs before the Captain decided to bypass Roatan and continue on to Belize. I can not blame Carnival for the situation in Cozumel or Roatan and I think they did a good job of rerouting as many ships as they did on short notice. We had a great cruise inspite of the changes and I did not run into anyone that was that upset about the port changes. I think it is unfortunate that a few people made it their mission to insite a lot of other people into an exercixe in futility. If they would have focused their attention on making the best of a bad situation and writing the letters later, they could have had a much better time. The weather was great, the food was great, the ship was great, etc. Save the misery for when you are back home and really have something to be miserable about. Did the demonstration on the ship make your vacation better?

I actually wasn't responding to you?

The poster I responded to because he took the same cruise that we did.

Thanks for your insight though..

What part of the concept don't you get?

A cruise in 02 is not "the same" as a cruise in 09. Like I said. Different F'n rules.

Why did Liberty and Valor get rerouted and Legend didn't?

What's Legend's itinerary? I know they sail out of Tampa and maybe that's why they had nowhere to go? They had already been to Belize, right? I guess Key West would have been the only possibility for them.

I'm getting so sick of all these people complaining because they missed ports...

HELLO IT'S FOR YOUR SAFETY!!!! Would you rather encounter the violence in Roatan? Would you have been happy to get shot or hurt from the civil unrest??? I wouldn't want to be hurt.. but seems to me Carnival should let these ppl off at their ports since they are SOOOO important and let them fend for themselves with the violence and swine flu. Just don't let them back on the ship after they get it.

You cracked me up!!!! I think Carnival should make those ports that are cancelled an excursion...........pay another fee to get beat up, stabbed and contract some disease all at the same time. Sounds fun, right. Plus you pay extra!!! WooHoo!!:D

Oh and before someone blows a vessel..........it's called sarcastic sense of humor.......try it, it's fun!!!

Are you telling me that out of 500 people that came together not one of them read the contract and said guys and girls,,,,,,, I think we may be wrong here.

Glad all made it home safe. Just being away form home is enough for me. I would enjoy 7 days of cruising in circles before I enjoy 7 days of being home.

Have a safe and fun cruise all!

I also hope you'll get some cash back,,,, I could use your example when I have a complaint.

Why did Liberty and Valor get rerouted and Legend didn't?

What's Legend's itinerary? I know they sail out of Tampa and maybe that's why they had nowhere to go? They had already been to Belize, right? I guess Key West would have been the only possibility for them.

I think at the point the Legend was rerouted, they did not have enough time for another port and get back to Tampa on schedule. I was on the Valor, Key West was a scheduled change for Cozumel before we sailed. Roatan was bypassed and an extra day at sea added going to Belize. The Legend was bypassing Cozumel and was scheduled for Roatan instead. By the time they got that far south and Roatan was cancelled, they did not have enough time for another port.

I think at the point the Legend was rerouted, they did not have enough time for another port and get back to Tampa on schedule. I was on the Valor, Key West was a scheduled change for Cozumel before we sailed. Roatan was bypassed and an extra day at sea added going to Belize. The Legend was bypassing Cozumel and was scheduled for Roatan instead. By the time they got that far south and Roatan was cancelled, they did not have enough time for another port.

That's what I thought, thanks!:)

What part of the concept don't you get?

A cruise in 02 is not "the same" as a cruise in 09. Like I said. Different F'n rules.

Like I said this was not towards you!!!!

Didnt say anything about 02 compared to 09.

Just writing on that persons thread not YOURS!!

This kind of "protest" is simply the result of the number of uneduated travelers on the ships these days.

Seasoned cruisers know that at any time (for any reason) ports can be pulled. There does need to be more education from TAs (or PVPs) about exactly what these people are "buying". They are "buying" a guarantee of so many days on a ship. period.

Several ports can be missed, because these ports do not have the equipment to handle a safe docking under certain weather conditions.

If you go to Grand Turk and the winds are to high (like on the Splendor in November) you will not dock because that port has no tug to dock the ship safely.

If you go to Grand Cayman and the waves are to high, you will not tender into that port because the seas are to rough.

We have missed both several times...

Unfortunately, these posters are acting like Carnival did this on purpose to "ruin their vacation".

I can assure you that Carnival would have much rather taken them to each and every port. Making this hard decision has cost them money. The Corporate office has been working overtime to re-route ships...re-route the fly on entertainers that swap ships at these ports...process those who are opting to cancel...not to mention the complaints they are having to field.

Roatan is ok one minute and not ok the next. Sorry, that is just the way Roatan is. One minute things have calmed down and the next the citizens are cutting trees across the road to block traffic.

As for the flu, guidelines are in place that must be followed.

If the posters are mad at someone...be mad at the appropriate people.

Be mad at God for the flu and mad at the people for the unrest in Roatan.

But it is ridiculous to be mad at Carnival who had no control over either.

I feel for you 100%%%%

I am sorry as well for you.

Im taking Legend next Sunday and very upset with whats going on.

I will be honest my wife and I have only taken RCL and have always been happy. Carnival has to improve in there customer service if you ask me and I havent even cruised with them yet....

What are you very upset about? You are making it out like Carnival is the only cruise line not stopping due to illness outbreaks and violence.

What I would like to know is why everyone always sticks up for Carnival if a customer has a complaint, whats the sense of this board?????

"Everyone" is a broad term~ I am all for reading and hearing out complaints and there truly are many on this board however there are far more gripes about issues beyond CCL control. The people who are outraged about the missed ports are the same ones who would be posting here if they contracted the flu or were harmed in some way by the civil unrest had the ship stopped.

As a big company like Carnival I wonder why they never have a plan B to make there passengers happy....Just my opinion and I know half of you will rip me apart.......Im in the business to make customers happy as well and I have to do whatever it takes......

Out of curiosity what would you have done to make the unhappy ones happy? If the same thing happens on your cruise what will Carnival have to do to make you 100% satisified? I am quite sure Carnival wants nothing more than to stop at the planned stops but for many reasons won't put their customers in harms way, that to me is great customer service!

I will be upset if Im sitting out at sea just circiling as well, I take cruises to go to the ports...I did not pay over $2300 to sit at sea and visit 2 ports if thats what happens.....

Will you be upset or will you let it ruin your cruise?Maybe you shouldn't cruise or choose a cruise line that will promise to stop at the planned ports REGARDLESS of what is going on and whether or not there is the potential for harm to the passengers or staff.(Let us know if you can find one, I am sure their first sailing will be a sell out!)

I personally cruise because I like cruising, I cruise during hurricane season mainly because I can get the time off from work easily in the Fall. I know full well that any/all stops may not happen due to a hurricane but this wouldn't change no matter what line I cruised with since they all have rules in place to protect the passenger. I have cruised and missed ports, but am grateful for my safety and happy to not be sitting at home :)

Ok so you can't control Flu or Civil Unrest. Now... if Carnival had cancelled it days before would it have made you feel any better? Do you think she ships can just pick up and go into any port any time they want? Ummmmm no. There can only be so many ships in a port in a given day. With all the ships Carnival has and all the other cruise lines out there don't you think they would fill up fast? Ummmmm yes. Do you really think Carnival wants a bunch of pissy people such as yourself complaining about the changes? Ummmm no but they do there best with what is available. Some ships are too big to go into some ports as well so others win out. You need to read your contract and know they can change ports or leave them out if necessary with no compensation.

Thank you LHP for your wise words. I too don't like the thought of missing Cozumel (or Roatan if things heat up again) on my upcoming cruise but you know what? I can always save up and cruise again to Cozumel!! (or Roatan, or GC, or Martinque - remember their unrest a few months back?) :p:D:)

i too feel bad for all the cruisers who missed their ports...but....saftey first.....i would also be upset, but realistic.....i actually forget....until i read this post that we have missed ports before...but since I didnt remember I guess we just didnt make a big deal over it....if the captain thought it wasnt safe .... we entrusted our lives and our childrens lives with him so what ever the decscion he made we abided by it.....

its too bad,,,,i too cruise for the ports...but our saftey comes first......

Archived