HAL now serving fake crab? YUCK

Cruise Junky

Bits of shark pretending to be scallops and pork cutlets pounded thin to

masquerade as Veal Parmigiana have been misleading diners for years.:mad:

Hopefully these practices will not become common on HAL or most

better cruiselines.:eek:

Since I am one who had a serious allergic reaction to real crab this would be no loss to me. However, I do believe that it should be accurately described on menus. Tell customers/passengers what it is, NOT what it is pretending to be.

Ham - I enjoy both "types, and at least the processed ham is still ham, not beef or chicken.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to give you guys an update on this. We sent an e:mail to HAL when we got back about our service issues and the "Crab". We received a response today and it seemed to be a one off. To Summarize:

"The comments you have expressed regarding this dish were also shared by several other guests on this sailing" "This department has assured me that the employee who used the wrong product has been retrained, and that the only guest meals that should utilize Pollock are certain types of sushi served in the Lido Restaurant" "There are no meals in the main dining room that should ever feature this product".

So we're glad to hear this apparently was a one off and not a cost cutting measure.

I wanted to give you guys an update on this. We sent an e:mail to HAL when we got back about our service issues and the "Crab". We received a response today and it seemed to be a one off. To Summarize:

"The comments you have expressed regarding this dish were also shared by several other guests on this sailing" "This department has assured me that the employee who used the wrong product has been retrained, and that the only guest meals that should utilize Pollock are certain types of sushi served in the Lido Restaurant" "There are no meals in the main dining room that should ever feature this product".

So we're glad to hear this apparently was a one off and not a cost cutting measure.

We're just off the Westerdam and while we didn't find it in dishes in the main dining room it was in ALL of the seafood salads in the Lido.

:rolleyes: Cruise Junky:

We're just off the Rotterdam for 27 days and I must say, the cheese plates got to be a real source of amusement for us, ordering it almost nightly to see how much it differed from the actual description on the menu. Candied macadamia nuts were walnuts, candied pecans were walnuts. The lovely sounding accompaniments such as olive tapenade, a chutney, and various others were non-existent, for sure. And some nights, no crackers were presented and others, it was a partial selection left from others who had made their choices earlier. And that is not to mention the cheese selections not being what was listed either.

Come on HAL, get your act together.

I really don't mind spending the extra money and eating in the pay restaurants on ships.. It is much better food...If not so good food in the dining room keeps up, everyone will want to eat in the pay restaurants ...Wouldn't it be better if they charged $20-25 more per person , per day for better food in main dining room? I wouldn't mind that added charge.

We must have been on the right ship with the best chef ever. All of the meals were superb and to my knowledge no fakes. I do know that the ships are limited by what is available-seasonal regional etc and the head chef does set the standard. There are some who choose their ship by the chef and after this cruise I can see why-awesome meals! Eurodam-in case you wondered.I have also noticed more upscale on the ships in Europe-some will disagree. We kept trying to figure out where they got all I the fresh mint which garnished everything! Happy. Cruising-can't wait for our next HAL cruise!

We must have been on the right ship with the best chef ever. All of the meals were superb and to my knowledge no fakes. I do know that the ships are limited by what is available-seasonal regional etc and the head chef does set the standard. There are some who choose their ship by the chef and after this cruise I can see why-awesome meals! Eurodam-in case you wondered.I have also noticed more upscale on the ships in Europe-some will disagree. We kept trying to figure out where they got all I the fresh mint which garnished everything! Happy. Cruising-can't wait for our next HAL cruise!

If they can't source Alaska King Crab and Dungeness Crab while in Vancouver and cruising Alaska, we're in serious trouble ;)

All this time I was eating fake food. So. You know, it's very funny how we get fooled so easily. It's unbelievable. Almost as bad as Target selling Woodstock clothing. It's very weird. Have you seen that? Oh, I guess that they have a hippie on staff but really, errrrrr.................

Archived