HAL now serving fake crab? YUCK

Cruise Junky

We just returned this morning from our first HAL cruise - What a disappointment! I'll write a full review that will get into the no hot water for 4 days, and many other issues...but what is going on with the main dining room? Day 3, one of the appetizers was a dungeness crab in pastry item, it was pollack, fake crab. Another lady at our table (same night) ordered the Alaskan King Crab Cobb Salad, again, imitation crab. I really expected more from Holland America. If you're out of crab, take it off the menu, but to substitute imitation crab is just bad.

WOW!

I HOPE THAT'S NOT "NEW "POLICY":(......I'm about to take my SIL on her first cruise and it will be to AK.............of course I selected HAL since it's my preferred line and she needs a smaller ship.

What ship?

My DH will NOT be happy if they substitute pollack for crab...he loves crab.

How about the crab cake appetizer in the Pinnacle Grill...are these faux crab cakes? :confused:

My DH will NOT be happy if they substitute pollack for crab...he loves crab.

How about the crab cake appetizer in the Pinnacle Grill...are these faux crab cakes? :confused:

No, the Pinnacle Grill had real crab and was very good.

We also had fake crab on the Zuiderdam. But the Alaskan King Crab Legs at dinner on Thursday nite were REAL so all is not bad. And Wed. nite was surf and turf and the lobster was real and a good size. They never offered seconds but we had a lousy waiter (the only bad thing on the cruise).

We also had fake crab on the Zuiderdam. But the Alaskan King Crab Legs at dinner on Thursday nite were REAL so all is not bad. And Wed. nite was surf and turf and the lobster was real and a good size. They never offered seconds but we had a lousy waiter (the only bad thing on the cruise).

Ah, we missed the crab legs, we ate in the Pinnacle Grill on Thursday. The lobster was real but my husband's surf and turf arrived minus the turf and it was about a 10 minute wait for his steak to show up.

just another example of cutting corners - I assume what real crab meat they had on board was used just in the Pinnacle. But not only from the point of view of aesthetics, but also health (allergies) menus should be changed to accurately describe what is used in preparing the dish. Fake crab is not only disgusting in taste and texture, some people are allergic to some of the junk used in making pollack look like some form of crab - which it does not even remotely resemble.:(

We just returned this morning from our first HAL cruise - What a disappointment! I'll write a full review that will get into the no hot water for 4 days, and many other issues...but what is going on with the main dining room? Day 3, one of the appetizers was a dungeness crab in pastry item, it was pollack, fake crab. Another lady at our table (same night) ordered the Alaskan King Crab Cobb Salad, again, imitation crab. I really expected more from Holland America. If you're out of crab, take it off the menu, but to substitute imitation crab is just bad.

I agree. We won't eat Pollack.

The crab cakes in the Pinnacle Grille are really good and come out of a can. On one of our cruises (I believe on the Westerdam in 2007) this appetizer was offered as a full meal on one of the formal nights.

just another example of cutting corners - I assume what real crab meat they had on board was used just in the Pinnacle. But not only from the point of view of aesthetics, but also health (allergies) menus should be changed to accurately describe what is used in preparing the dish. Fake crab is not only disgusting in taste and texture, some people are allergic to some of the junk used in making pollack look like some form of crab - which it does not even remotely resemble.:(

I'm actually allergic to many "white fish" fishes. I played "20 questions" on our May/08 cruise, and was relieved to learn that the crab was crab (which I can eat). This time (May/09) I made the inaccurate assumption that "crab" was "crab". The "crab" sushi was pollock -- fortunately I realized it immediately and suffered only a VERY mild reaction. I hate having to ask and ask and ask about ingredients. I'll be avoiding anything that doesn't come with its shell in the future.

Yuck. How disappointing.

Regardless, HAL owes it to its passengers to accurately describe the menu. If it's imitation crab, say so.

It isn't just HAL -- it is frightening how many places call that fake crap "crab", and then when you start asking questions, how many places continue to say it is crab. Honestly, I think some servers are convinced that reddy-pink crud IS crab, and know no other. I've at times gone so far as to have the chef come out to discuss the "crab" to ensure it is crab. Now, I generally don't bother -- I'll order something else if I have the slightest concern.

It isn't just HAL -- it is frightening how many places call that fake crap "crab", and then when you start asking questions, how many places continue to say it is crab. Honestly, I think some servers are convinced that reddy-pink crud IS crab, and know no other. I've at times gone so far as to have the chef come out to discuss the "crab" to ensure it is crab. Now, I generally don't bother -- I'll order something else if I have the slightest concern.

I know exactly what you mean. I was at Costco the other day and they had this Blue Crab dip on sale. I specifically asked if this was the real thing "Oh yes!" Looked on the ingredient list & found real crab mixed with fake crab! How awful is that!! Ruin a good thing!!!:eek:

HAL owes it to its passengers to accurately describe the menu.

Don't even get me started on the cheese plates. They were the running joke on our table. They were about 5 cheeses on the menu with figs, candied pecans, a selection of fine crackers and french bread...HAH!!!! Not once did the cheeses served match the menu, not a fig or candied pecan in site and the fine crackers if you could get them were saltines. We were beginning to think the menus were just "a suggestion" ;)

I know exactly what you mean. I was at Costco the other day and they had this Blue Crab dip on sale. I specifically asked if this was the real thing "Oh yes!" Looked on the ingredient list & found real crab mixed with fake crab! How awful is that!! Ruin a good thing!!!:eek:

Ewwwww! Yuck!!!! What a waste of good crab!

I've actually had kitchen personnel tell me that "yes, it is crab, it is leg meat" and then (allergic reaction time) they say "the package says 'Sea Legs', so it IS crab". I have zero desire to push myself into anaphylaxis.

Seriously, now, if I don't see it in its shell, I'm not eating it.

Ewwwww! Yuck!!!! What a waste of good crab!

I've actually had kitchen personnel tell me that "yes, it is crab, it is leg meat" and then (allergic reaction time) they say "the package says 'Sea Legs', so it IS crab". I have zero desire to push myself into anaphylaxis.

Seriously, now, if I don't see it in its shell, I'm not eating it.

This is different but it irritates me just the same. When I see something on a menu that says turkey I ask "Is it real turkey"? So many times they just can't undersand what I mean. I don't like that pressed pretend turkey and don't want to eat it.

This is different but it irritates me just the same. When I see something on a menu that says turkey I ask "Is it real turkey"? So many times they just can't undersand what I mean. I don't like that pressed pretend turkey and don't want to eat it.

Oh yeah, that fake turkey is just NASTY -- to me it tastes exactly like canned Alpo smells. Ugh. Don't ya just love the look the server gives you when you ask that question? :D

Why is HAL doing this? They are ruining a reputation. It might be difficult to win back fans.

I asked myself the same question. We cruised HAL with a pretty positive attitude, don't normally let little things bug us and go with the flow. We completely understand cost cutting, I know when I sail Princess on a three day repositioning, I'm getting the menu with the Ham and that's fine. But HAL lost us at passing off pollock as both Dungeness and King Crab. We cruise pretty often, but I'd be hard pressed to get DH on another HAL ship.

I thought I should ask someone who might have inside knowledge and his reply was:

"Food is taken onboard at least once per cruise. The best approach to take on this (and I have not heard of this ever being the case btw... re: "krab") is to ask someone once onboard."

My next cruise is a couple of months away. If someone going sooner would ask and report, we could maybe lay this to rest.

Archived