Live from the Golden 05/30

Colo Cruiser

Hi all, we arrived in Seattle yesterday (Friday).

What incredible weather, it was 82 yesterday and forcast for 80 today and not a cloud in the sky.

We walked around Safeco/Qwest Fields in the early evening and had dinner at the Pyramid Alehouse. Good brew and burgers.

We will take a shuttle to the pier at 11am and view the issues voiced here since Pier 91 opened.

I hope this weather is an indication of what we have in store! But Alaska, who knows.

I will report back onboard. :D

Hi Keith.......

Is this going to be your first LIVE? You know I'll be following along. See you on board.

BTW, I guess you finished packing. :D

Mornin,

No I think I did another a couple of years ago. Nothing spectacular though. :)

Yes the packing is done this time.

CC,

The weather for AK looks even more incredible, almost unbelievable. Posted it on our Roll Call thread.

Leaving in about 20 min to take shuttle express to pier, see ya tomorrow at the M&G

Just saw that post thanks.

Good Morning CC,

Have a great cruise (how could it not be?). We will be on the Golden in a few weeks and will interested in how the Grown Grill is coming along and if they serve Gelato in the International cafe. Terrific weather in Seattle these past few days. I have tried to use the Webcam atop the Needle to get a view of the Golden but the darn thing is still on the Fritz. Needs a good whack I guess:-)

Good luck at the Pier today.

49er

Good Morning CC,

Have a great cruise (how could it not be?). We will be on the Golden in a few weeks and will interested in how the Grown Grill is coming along and if they serve Gelato in the International cafe. Terrific weather in Seattle these past few days. I have tried to use the Webcam atop the Needle to get a view of the Golden but the darn thing is still on the Fritz. Needs a good whack I guess:-)

Good luck at the Pier today.

49er

Much thanks, I will be trying the CG for sure and will let you know. ;)

Hi Keith: Hey I left that nice weather for you when I got off of the ship on the 23rd. Have fun.

Now as for the gelato machine. We were told by the food manager of the Piazza area that there is no room for the machine and that gelato will be served at the Ice Cream place(Scoops). When they designed the International Cafe it was for the Ruby, Emerald and the Crown. But when they tried to put the machine into the rest of the fleet there was no room. We told that by the manager of the whole Piazza area.

Marilyn

P.S. By the way I was on the Star after dry dock and they did not have the gelatto machine and now I was on the Golden after dry dock and still do not for the reasons above.

Thanks Marilyn,

We will check out "Scoops" for our Gelato fix. From looking at the photos of the Golden's International Cafe, it looked a bit smaller then the Emerald's. Something had to give I guess:-) Hope they have Paninis'!

Sorry to hog your thread Kieth. This the best I could get off the Webcam. The camera has "lost" it's bearings:-)

49er

378773076_Picture9.jpg.1ae3348bcf32bffd1a1683ab16c695d9.jpg

Thanks Marilyn,

We will check out "Scoops" for our Gelato fix. From looking at the photos of the Golden's International Cafe, it looked a bit smaller then the Emerald's. Something had to give I guess:-) Hope they have Paninis'!

Sorry to hog your thread Kieth. This the best I could get off the Webcam. The camera has "lost" it's bearings:-)

49er

49er, no worry, they still have the panini's, chicken and shrimp salad and those warm cho-chip cookies. Yummmmm.

Marilyn

Arrived at the port at 11:25 traffic was very light. It sure was a tight fit through there with 2 incoming lanes of traffic to the unload area in front of the terminal. We had our bags situated well so we walked right on bypassing baggage/porters. We breezed through security, and filled out the noro form. There was no waiting at the check in area. We received our cards walked outside and stood in line for about 5 minutes and headed onboard. We bypassed the photographers had our cruise card photo taken at 11:50. Carried our bags to our mini suite. I went to the Donatello dining room where the doors opened promptly at 12:00 noon. I was seated at a window 4 top. I was the only person there for about 20 minutes when 4-6 others came in. I had a quiet lunch, Shrimp/Avocado appetizer, lettuce/tomato/carrot salad and beef tenderloins for the main course.

Oh yeah an Orange Souffle and a piece of Apple Tartin for dessert.

A great way to start this cruise.

I signed up for the internet, no 30 minute bonus.

Cabin (Mini):

I was surprised to see that other then 2 flat screen TV’s it has not been renovated at all. No bedding, carpet is tired, bathroom tile is in dire need of replacement especially around the tub. No a deal breaker but after following the dry dock I was shocked to see that these things were not done. Maybe other cabins, who knows.

Ship capacity pre dry dock was 2590.

Post dry dock 2622. As of Wed this week we were at 2602 so looks to be a full sailing.

Kids onboard 160.

Atrium area looks better then the photos. Ship in general looks excellent and lots of smiling crew.

I'm looking forward to this thread. I will be on the Golden to Hawaii in October and would love to see some pictures and of course can't wait to hear all about your Alaska cruise. I'll be heading there in August but not on Golden. Can't wait for these two cruises.

Thanks for sharing your cruise with all of us sitting at home. I love these kind of threads. Have a great time!

Pam

Thanks for the Live posts. We'll be on the Golden in October and then next year for a b2b Alaska. I am not surprised that most of the rooms have had little/no updates. When we were on the Star right after drydock, our suite had been updated - bed/bedding/carpeting and new balcony decking. When we were on the Star again last month, the mini we had had no updates except for the flat screen TV's. Not a deal breaker by any means, and certainly cheaper than the suite.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Marilyn is correct about the Gelato - we were told the same thing on the Star :(

Just pulling away from the dock. captain says we are in for a continuation of the great weather. So keeping fingers crossed. He also says that after we leave the Staights of Jaun De Fuca we will experince some rough seas so we will see what happens. We have late seating so will have to snack several more times here in the next hour or two..

Talk at ya all later!!

Just pulling away from the dock. captain says we are in for a continuation of the great weather. So keeping fingers crossed. He also says that after we leave the Staights of Jaun De Fuca we will experince some rough seas so we will see what happens. We have late seating so will have to snack several more times here in the next hour or two..

Talk at ya all later!!

So, what did you have for dinner, and I presume you are doing PC dining? Is this ship doing the first night seafood buffet (thought they might since they copied a few things from the Emerald, Crown & Ruby). Also, who is your Captain, CD and PSD?

Archived