Live from the Golden 05/30

Colo Cruiser

Thank you for the live reports. We will be doing the Golden next year, except we will be on the new itinerary that goes to Glacier Bay.:)

We were on the CB on May 3 and we were the 2nd cruise on that ship to enjoy the free soft serve at Scoops. It was available from 11AM - 11Pm everyday. It was available in Chocolate, Vanilla and Swirl. They had two kinds of sprinkles - multi and chocolate. We stopped there everyday, DH often stopped twice! The cones were full size compared to the mini cones available on RCI. Yummy. The DR still has the churned ice cream varieties. They are wonderful. We had a scoop of ice cream or sorbet every night as a side to our "main dessert". I am dieting once again now.:rolleyes:

Even if it's that thin ice milk kind of stuff? I think that's what Keith may be referring to?

Pia, this DH "bad boy" is a diabetic so, when someone tells me that it's ice-milk and it's not "creamy", I'm a little happier.

Honestly, I don't think he'll even notice! If I don't tell him that it's not "real" ice cream, he'll enjoy it! If I tell him, he'll find something wrong with it!

Now, tell him there's none available or he'll have to pay for it and see the frown on his face!!!! :(

Pia, this DH "bad boy" is a diabetic so, when someone tells me that it's ice-milk and it's not "creamy", I'm a little happier.

Honestly, I don't think he'll even notice! If I don't tell him that it's not "real" ice cream, he'll enjoy it! If I tell him, he'll find something wrong with it!

Now, tell him there's none available or he'll have to pay for it and see the frown on his face!!!! :(

Diabetic. The magic word. That just told me the whole story. :)

Keith, sounds like you guys are having a great time. You temp in Alaska was the same as here in Massachusetts:D

Did you hear Phoenix Rising yet. If you like the "oldies" you will enjoy PR:cool:

I am looking forward to your next meal.;)

Well another fantastic day here in Skagway, if I were to guess I would say 70-75 degrees. The back of my neck is fried from yesterday/today. No suntan lotion on my Alaska packing list!

Walked into town about 9:30 and just walked around for about 3 hours. Spent a little time in the Red Onion. Took ton’s of photos and then back to the ship. As is well known the ship is deserted.

There are 3 other ships beside us here today Diamond/Millennium/ and Amsterdam

Sat down in the IC and had a chicken salad sandwich, some shrimp, and spinach/mushroom salad. I noticed that the fresh brewed is now $1.25 per cup.

For the rest of the day we will continue the laziness and do nothing. I am thinking about hitting one of the pools. Yes I said 1 of the pools, most likely an outside one.

While in town I did see some kids in a large blowup type pool actually swimming in a backyard.

Tonight calls for the Spotlight Showtime magic of Gaetano in the Princess theater @ 8:15/10:15.

Explorers Lounge will host Steve Hites “North to Alaska” a tribute to the Klondike days featuring music, folklore, and poetry, from this fantastic era. 8:00 to 8:45 and 11:00 pm to late.

9:30 pm is “Odyssey” 50‘s Rock and Roll sock hop.

Forgot to say yesterday….. Mall Cop was on MUTS last night and tonight is Yes Man with Jim Carrey @10:30.

We are eating in the Crown Grill tonight.

Princess President Alan Buckelew was onboard yesterday and is ship hopping in Juneau for the week for staff meetings as each ship comes into port. Good to see him out and about the fleet.

Ultimate ship tour offered at 9:00 am Friday @ $150.00 PP and is limited to 12 people.

Contrary to rumors, towel monkeys still exist here on Princess though few and far between. One entered our cabin while we were in town. Came back and Jesus our “Stewart” had a big grin on his face and mumbled something about a surprise as we walked into the cabin.

Also a hare on the bed!!!

I am still so full from the first day I never even have time to get hungry. Last night I felt like asking for a wheel chair after dinner. So tonight will be interesting and I can’t eat anymore today.

Tomorrow Tracy Arm/Thurs, Ketchikan/Friday, Victoria.

I am still so full from the first day I never even have time to get hungry. Last night I felt like asking for a wheel chair after dinner. So tonight will be interesting and I can’t eat anymore today.

You're paying for it. Mangia! :D

Explorers Lounge will host Steve Hites “North to Alaska” a tribute to the Klondike days featuring music, folklore, and poetry, from this fantastic era. 8:00 to 8:45 and 11:00 pm to late.

I enjoyed Steve Hites very much last week, but he had to leave very quickly to repeat his show on the Sapphire Princess. Since the Golden departs from Skagway at 8:15 - how is it that Steve Hites is in the Explorer's Lounge from 8-8:45 and then 11:00 until late? Is he staying on the ship this week?

Hi Keith,

Thanks so much for posting a "live from." I'm re-living my cruise all over again and looking forward to sharing the rest of your cruise with you!

One more question about the free ice cream; are they offering any toppings or just the plain ice (cream)? :p

Good morning,

Another incredible day heading up Tracy Arm (Tongass National Forest). Not a cloud can be seen. Several whale sightings already and an unbelievable mirrored image of the snow capped mountains and trees in the dead calm water. We are slowly rocking from side to side along with the harp music on the web cam channel on the cabin TV. Very surreal.

Last night our dinner in the Crown Grill was nothing short of a perfect meal. For the appetizer I had a mussel pot, for the entrée’s I had the melt in your mouth rack of lamb (just for Pia) and a Brazilian 12 ounce lobster tail. For desert the sampler of 4 mini ones of the real thing. Molten lava chocolate cake in a small oven type pot with a little top. White chocolate cheese cake, smores cake, and a lemon pie. Had a bottle of Asti Spumanti with the meal.

The coffee is made from a brand new espresso type machine exclusive to the Crown Grill. It was very good.

DW had the Black/Blue onion soup, mango prawns, salad and a melt in your mouth New York strip.

The sides served family style were sautéed mushrooms/asparagus/red skinned mashed potatoes.

We ate slow with a window seat and saw a couple of whales breach outside the window at our table. Only about 10 other people all evening. They said the night before it was packed.

We watched from our balcony until 11:15 pm and the sun was still setting at 1:30 in the morning due to rise again at 3:58am. It was dark but the orange glow was still visible in the west.

Captain just came on the loudspeaker saying if you are curled up in bed you are missing a lot and to wake up if you are asleep and said we will be cruising Endicott arm instead, as the Diamond is 1 hour ahead of us and is held up due to major ice in the area. He says we are lucky as if we went into Tracy Arm we would have aborted all cruising to either and be staring at the same piece of land all morning. He is quite a joker!! He says Endicott is 26 miles long and the pilots have flown over the area this morning and report no major ice issues or threatening ice so we will try and make it all the way to Henry Dawes Glacier.

Wildlife narrator Michael Modzelewski is giving the running talk about our trip into the arm today. There is a policy in the area that no outside announcements are permitted until after 8am so as not to disturb the wildlife. So the Captain came on at 8am sharp to make his.

Update, I have been trying to get online for about 1-2 hours. We are now at the Glacier and slowly turning around to give everyone a fantastic view. On the way up we saw an Eagle sitting on an iceberg with its to babies on another iceberg close by.

Tons of seals with their babies on icebergs. A bear about 200 feet up from the shoreline. There is a ton of ice floating and the Captain maintained 18 knots until we were about 30 minutes away from the glacier and started slowing down. We cut a nice path through the ice and are as close as you can get.

Saw 2 brown bears on the way out on the shore, oh what a day!!

Just able to get a signal to post this.

Should be a fantastic day, talk at ya later.

Wow, I am envious of your cruise - especially getting into Endicott Arm and seeing the glacier! I think you mean the Star Princess was an hour ahead of the Golden, as the Diamond goes to Glacier Bay and College Fjord. The Star was ahead of us last week in Tracy Arm, and they turned around quite a bit earlier than we did - although we didn't get to the Sawyer glaciers.

I enjoyed Steve Hites very much last week, but he had to leave very quickly to repeat his show on the Sapphire Princess. Since the Golden departs from Skagway at 8:15 - how is it that Steve Hites is in the Explorer's Lounge from 8-8:45 and then 11:00 until late? Is he staying on the ship this week?

I figured that out last night, I wrote the time down for the band in Explorers.

He was actually there at 5:00pm. ;)

Wow, I am envious of your cruise - especially getting into Endicott Arm and seeing the glacier! I think you mean the Star Princess was an hour ahead of the Golden, as the Diamond goes to Glacier Bay and College Fjord. The Star was ahead of us last week in Tracy Arm, and they turned around quite a bit earlier than we did - although we didn't get to the Sawyer glaciers.

Yes you are correct. DW kept saying that it was the Star and I kept thinking the Captain said the Diamond, I should have known better.

Maybe you better be my scribe. :D

Archived