Princess - Naples, you've been warned!

OK ... just got back, Venice to Barcelona on Ruby Princess.

Just wanted to say one thing about Naples. Stay the heck away! Living in New York, I would compare that city to a bad neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Myself and my group did a self guided tour of Capri that day, which was SPECTACULAR. A group of 6 rented a taxi for $120 for the entire day. Make sure you haggle, they start at $200. Get some friends together!!!

We came back to port, had an hour to kill so went into Naples for an hour. It's horrible! I can't believe the cruises offer tours of Naples when Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii are stone only throw away.

Our waiter had his phone ripped out of his hand while he was texting by a guy on a scooter. Another person we met was pick pocketed and someone we met on the elevator had their Rolex stolen without even noticing.

Everyone we met who took a tour of Naples regretted it and I feel sorry for anyone that wastes their day in that slum. That town makes me ashamed to be even 1/2 Italian. Yes, it's that bad. Once again Princess and any other cruise line should be ashamed for offering excursions!

We've taken two Med. cruises (2008 & 2009), and each time Naples was literally full of garbage. They had had a garbage strike going on for at least a year. Was there still garbage everywhere? We are going back in October, and I'm really hoping they have removed all the garbage!:(

You do like warning people, don't you?

Naples is indeed a gritty city. It is also has a great Archeological museum -- if interested in ancient Rome this is THE place in the world. The Capodimonte is, by far, the most important art museum south of Rome and a few, just a few <grin>, beautiful churches and other good stuff.

Lots of petty crime (the scooter boys are artists).

If you want perfection, I suggest Disney World. If you enjoy the real world, Naples is fascinating. Of course, wearing a Rolex while playing tourist does not strike me as a good idea .. even in Disney World.

I spent two nights just off the Piazza Garibaldi in 2007 and never felt in danger! Okay Naples may not be picture postcard perfect but it's got spirit and a walk through the old "spanish Quarter" was great. Naples has some beautiful churches and forts - plenty to enjoy.

STLpilot -

We are doing the same itineary July 3 - do you happen to remember which nights are formal nights?

Formal nites were the at sea nites.

And yes Abosi, like warning people, especially first timers to Naples who only have 1 day to spend.

But to compare the crime rate of Naples to Disney is like comparing a Ferrari to a 66 VW Bug. Having spent over a year in the mouse house, I've never had to worry about anything being stolen from my person, ever. Wear a Rolex in Disney, of course, why not.

I live about 30 blocks from Harlem and I would say it's safer in Harlem than in Naples for sure, by far.

Naples is not bad....it is not Rome, but we have been there several times and really enjoy it. The best espresso and the best pizza. We never felt unsafe. I am a New Yorker also and Naples is not like a bad neighborhood in Brooklyn. There are areas that are not as good as others, just like any city. There is alot of traffic and you should take the same precauations you would in any City.

Seems a little odd you would single out Princess as all cruise lines have pretty much the same offerings.... and the same with your Florence post. Do you have some sort of an axe to grind with them? :rolleyes:

Anyone who does a little research can decide what suits them best in Naples. I very much enjoyed the Archeological Museum and also some great Neopolitan pizza.

From all I hear and read, most cruisers don't spend a lot of time in Naples anyway. Most opt for the Amalfi coast, Capri, or Pompeii and Sorrento.

Seems a little odd you would single out Princess as all cruise lines have pretty much the same offerings.... and the same with your Florence post. Do you have some sort of an axe to grind with them? :rolleyes:

Anyone who does a little research can decide what suits them best in Naples. I very much enjoyed the Archeological Museum and also some great Neopolitan pizza.

From all I hear and read, most cruisers don't spend a lot of time in Naples anyway. Most opt for the Amalfi coast, Capri, or Pompeii and Sorrento.

Axe to grind ... yes actually. Princess gave people the same warning for Naples as they did for Venice, that's just not right. They are supposed to be offering a service to their customers, not let them just wander out into a crime ridden neighborhood. Although the theft is petty, it's more crime ridden than the entire trip combined.

Most people opt for Almafi, Capri and so forth, great. Well somehow I missed the posts about Naples and those people that are not in the most category and happen to see this post have been warned. Everyone I talked too who took the tour of Naples were let down, not a single person was happy about it.

These are just my opinions.

I think the OP has to understand that cruise lines (unlike many governments) believe that passengers need to take some personal responsibility. These days most of the cruise lines port lecturers are only there to sell the cruise ship tours. When you ventrue off on your own (we have been traveling independently throughout Europe for about 40 years) it is your responsiblity to do your own homework. We have cruised in the Med on many different cruise lines (including HA, Princess, RCI, etc etc) and find they are all the same in that they only want to promote their own tours (for which they get a hefty percentage of the tour price) and often do things to discourage folks from being independent. These days the cruise lines seem to be more concerned about their profit than the passengers.

Hank

Before our cruise, we had heard of the reputation of this particular city (ie garbage, pickpockets, dirtiness of the city etc)

We walked from the port up to the train station but we walked on crowded sidewalks and just kept aware of other people. We did not take a lot of money on us, and we did use our money belts.

We even asked locals for directions to the train station.

We did not feel threatened at all and would visit Naples again. We had previously visited Capri, Sorrento, Amalfi Coast on a land trip so walking around Naples and taking the train to Herculaneum was great!

Just be aware of your surroundings and in our opinion, Naples wasn't all that bad (all cities have grungy areas). (Spring, 2008 trip)

Just our thoughts (we are both in our early 60's)

STLPilot: thank you for the warning. While we will not be on Princess, we still will be in Naples for the first time. We very much appreciate your warning. I will make sure not to wear jewelry and we'll make sure to get a money pouch before we leave home. Perhaps these warnings are not appreciated by seasoned cruise veterans, but as first time Europe travelers we will take your advice.

Question for the OP, did Princess not have a blurb in the newsletter that you should take more care of your posessions in Naples?

We went to Naples last month and while you do need to take a few more precautions, I would never tell people to stay away. Our cruise anchored in Sorrento, but we went to Napoli on purpose to go to the Archaeological Museum and Da Michele for pizza. Yes, you should not wear expensive jewelry there, this applies to many other larger cities as well. Yes, Naples is loud and gritty and people will give you not the best directions if you ask for help (this bit also applies to just about everywhere), but the locals are very approachable. Every guide book and tourism web page I looked at put up big warnings that you should not wear flashy jewelry there and you should be even more aware of your surroundings there. Our cruise line also had a notice in the nightly newsletter that if going into Naples to take extra precautions. I carry a fairly large camera, Nikon D200, and had no issues at all, we left our nicer watches on board and kept everything else well concealed.

If somebody said they were going to drive in Naples, then I'd tell them to stay away, but to visit it, go ahead, just know what to expect. We had no problems there and would not hesitate to go into Naples again. Reposting warnings about locations is one thing, but to try and discourage people from trying something seems a bit over the top.

The bigger warning to fellow cruisers would be to do a little research on each port yourself and not rely on a cruise ship to tell you things, especially if you don't always listen to what the cruise ship is saying anyway.

OK ... just got back, Venice to Barcelona on Ruby Princess.

Just wanted to say one thing about Naples. Stay the heck away! Living in New York, I would compare that city to a bad neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Myself and my group did a self guided tour of Capri that day, which was SPECTACULAR. A group of 6 rented a taxi for $120 for the entire day. Make sure you haggle, they start at $200. Get some friends together!!!

We came back to port, had an hour to kill so went into Naples for an hour. It's horrible! I can't believe the cruises offer tours of Naples when Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii are stone only throw away.

Our waiter had his phone ripped out of his hand while he was texting by a guy on a scooter. Another person we met was pick pocketed and someone we met on the elevator had their Rolex stolen without even noticing.

Everyone we met who took a tour of Naples regretted it and I feel sorry for anyone that wastes their day in that slum. That town makes me ashamed to be even 1/2 Italian. Yes, it's that bad. Once again Princess and any other cruise line should be ashamed for offering excursions!

It always saddens me to hear about tourists getting taken, but also wonder a bit about your post. I wonder if anything shames you about USA, NY State or NYC :D You think the your waiter after hearing your story wanted to give you a "story" too ;)

I don't find Naples much different then any big modern city which tourists go. You need to use COMMON SENSE and avoid travel in certain areas and travel smartly, NO? I believe that 90% of the kind of stories you are telling have less to do with the city and more to do with the naive tourist syndrom. Not to say that the most careful and aware tourist won't eventually get robbed, but all the stories of things that I read are mostly crimes of opportunity. Those could happen anywhere in the US at a big touristy place. The only reason it happens less in Hometown USA is there are fewer tourist and fewer thieves looking for prey.

Every tourist needs to be on guard whether in Naples or in Hometown USA. Naples has its issues but it isn't all the slum you make it to be simply because of a few tourist incidents. Is it the safest place, certainly not, but neither is it unsafe. Like all towns there are some places better avoid by tourists in any place! Every tourist should do their research, no their strengths and weaknesses and then decide on how and where they visit in each port be it Naples, Rome, Cairo or NYC.

I am usually more polite, but when you start a thread to bash a city based on two hours experience, then you are talking from a lack of real knowledge, in a word from ignorance. I have been to Naples at least 10 times in the past 8 years, sometimes on business and sometimes not, and while Naples certainly has more than it's share of urban problems, it also has wonderful museums and art galleries, some of the finest Italian food I have ever eaten and a whole district that is nothing but one wonderful upscale shop after another.

Forty years ago, when tourists arrived by ship in my native city, New York, the first neighborhood they went through was Hell's Kitchen and the one they thought they want to see was seedy, drug and prostitute filled Times Square. But if properly guided they made their way to hundred's of wonderful sites there were to see and attractions to partake in even at NYC nadir during the financial crisis of the 1970's. Most major urban city ports are in less than ideal neighborhoods. But if you are one who likes to come to understand the heart of an urban center and explore it safely without the cursory, sanitized view usually offered by an over-priced cruise sponsored bus tour, the best alternative is always to hire a reputable car and driver and simply tell him or her the sort of things which interest you. They will make it their business to guide safely through the city while exposing you to the best it has to offer.

Because of the title of this thread I have decided to start my own in a day or so, once I put together some information, for any cruise passenger to use to find the best in Naples, of which there is an enormous amount. In particular I need to find and list the name and contact of a wonderful English speaking native of Napoli (actually born in a suburb called Pozzuoli, Italy, the very same town where Sophia Loren was born) who provides private tours of Napoli and surrounding sites as well as owns a wonderful local restaurant.

In any event, Iwas just in Napoli in mid-May for 3 days of business, there were no stacks of garbage, the streets were cleaner than have been in the last 4 years, and everywhere I went, I was greeted with courtesy and a smile. Yes it's true that it is unwise to put your cell phone down on a cafe table. But that rule holds true in any urban setting! I will post here again when I start the other thread.

One more point to the original post, the reason the cruise ships dock in Naples is that besides anchoring in Sorrento or Amalfi and tendering passengers, which takes considerably more time, that is the only place to dock in the area to see the wonderful things in the Bay of Naples and the Amalfi Coast. When Sorrento and Amalfi are the port stops for cruises if the water is rough, which happens fairly frequently, Naples is the alternate location.

We've been to Sorrento, Amalfi, Pompei a number of times. But the last time we visited Naples was quite some time ago.

Next month we'll be in Naples (sailing on the Gem) and we have decided to spend the time actually in Naples.

I'm feeling as if I deserve a medal for bravery. I've researched it well but am looking forward to slp123's report. Maybe slp123 could give an idea of what places we should go to on a walking trip on our own.

We were considering taking the HOHO bus.

Next month we'll be in Naples (sailing on the Gem) and we have decided to spend the time actually in Naples.

I'm feeling as if I deserve a medal for bravery. I've researched it well but am looking forward to slp123's report. Maybe slp123 could give an idea of what places we should go to on a walking trip on our own.

We were considering taking the HOHO bus.

Give me about 3 days as right now I am on a very tight deadline for a new software release at my company where I am in charge of the marketing and financing for the project. I promise something by Thursday or Friday---for now the answer is yes there are some wonderful areas that are great for walking tours.

SP

STLPilot: thank you for the warning. While we will not be on Princess, we still will be in Naples for the first time. We very much appreciate your warning. I will make sure not to wear jewelry and we'll make sure to get a money pouch before we leave home. Perhaps these warnings are not appreciated by seasoned cruise veterans, but as first time Europe travelers we will take your advice.
You're welcome! And for all you experienced flamers, so be it. I was giving my warning to those that want it, not you 50 time vets of Naples.

While I know Naples has a rich history, with certain well known and very safe towns around it, it's the last place you want to waste your day first timers. Unless of course you're into graffiti art.

There is an argument that says that a day in Naples itself is a day closer to 'the real Italy' (whatever that means) than a day spent on Capri, driving around the Amalfi coast, or at Pompeii. Not that all of those places aren't well-worth visiting, they are. But Naples itself is not so much a tourist destination, so if you go there you will see something of how ordinary Italians (rich & not-so-rich) live their lives.

We've taken two Med. cruises (2008 & 2009), and each time Naples was literally full of garbage. They had had a garbage strike going on for at least a year. Was there still garbage everywhere? We are going back in October, and I'm really hoping they have removed all the garbage!:(

Browneyes7,

Are you still on the 10/15 sailing on the Dream? We have not heard from you over on the roll call. Hopefully you will rejoin us soon.

Didn't mean to hijack thread......

Regarding Naples, I think there are good and bad parts of every city!

Happy Sailing

so if you go there you will see something of how ordinary Italians (rich & not-so-rich) live their lives.

you're kidding right? naples is not an example of ordinary italians. those people live where cruise ships do not dock. while i agree naples is not so wealthy, it hardly demonstrates how traditional, lower income italians live and work. if you want to see how ordinary and respectful italians live, work, eat and play, you'll need to rent a car and just drive.

I've heard similar stories about barcelona, Paris, London, yes even NY. I think that all big city have their risks. I don't expect cruise lines to give me special warnings, but then again I did overseas trips all over the world before I discovered cruising and see it as my personal responsibility to do my research and act sensibly. Cruising makes it easier as there is absolutely no need to carry a lot of valuables onshore with you (unlike when i was movimg around on multi centre land based holidays).

I was in naples about 3 weeks ago and the only issue I had was trying to find a taxi driver willing to drive me to the train station instaed of drive me all the way to Pompeii & Sorrento. As for haggling and gertting a good price for a taxi to do a tour, the cheapest way by far is train. We did naples - Pompeii - Pompeii- Sorrento for about 40 euros which included 25 for taxis to/from garibaldi station to the port. The best offer we got off a taxi was 80 euroes just to pompeii and back and he had the gall to insist that it was the same price as doing it by train.

you're kidding right? naples is not an example of ordinary italians. those people live where cruise ships do not dock. while i agree naples is not so wealthy, it hardly demonstrates how traditional, lower income italians live and work. if you want to see how ordinary and respectful italians live, work, eat and play, you'll need to rent a car and just drive.

No - they are Italians, they are resident. They may not be representative of other people's (possibly idealised) image of 'typical Italian', but they are genuine Italians. What's a 'typical American'? - a New Yorker, a southerner, a Texan, a Californian? all of them, in fact. So it is with Italians - the Neapolitan, the Sicilian, the Roman, the Tuscan, the Milanese - they are all, in their own way, 'typical' Italian, and the experience of any of them is no less valid than any other.

Archived