Live onboard Zuiderdam -- FOD party request DENIED!!

JeffCoud

And I agree with Wripro in that it's time to stop the Friends of Dorothy code for gay gatherings. Same with Friends of Bill W for AA meetings. My local paper doesn't use cute euphemisms for AA meetings.

Hear-Hear!!! It's High-time to call a spade a spade!!!

If we can't bear to call ourselves what we are - how do we ever expect others to have any respect for us?

GLBT folks under the age of 30 don't know these age-old euphamisms - or if they do know, associate them w/ tired old queens and want no part of it either.

It's time to start requesting "GLBT Mixers" on your cruises!!!

I'd like to voice a dissenting viewpoint on part of this topic. While I'm all for FOD parties by any name, the "friends of Bill W." parties are not comparable.

Alcoholics ANONYMOUS is called that for a reason. Many members do not wish to share their identities. For many, the emphemism, "friends of Bill W.," is a way to slightly protect that anonymity.

In addition, the AA program is designed to help people who have a desire to stop drinking. It is a self-help organization, and serves as daily therapy for many alcoholics. Without a meeting, some might drink. This is NOT the same thing as a group, who for whatever reason, be it cruise critic members, cat lovers, or gay and lesbian cruisers, wish to socialize together.

Beth

I dont think anyone here has a problem with calling "FOD" parties "gay and lesbian parties" (or whatever) I think the REAL problem will come in when its up to the CRUISELINES to call it that. If you think HOLLAND AMERICA is hesitant now.....

Actually, I've done a bit of scouting around on this issue in regard to HAL and even other lines. What I've discovered is that it has been policy for quite some time not to publish it.

What's your take on this? Do you think it's been policy NOT to publish it because of homophobia on the part of HAL corporate? If not, what would be a logical reason for exclusion?

I agree completely....in this day and age...it should just be on the program already. They have the singles get togethers right? I just wanted to friggin meet other people since I was sailing solo this time. Anyhow, I'll post my letter to HAL corporate once I get it written.

Jeff

Since HAL and the CDs know the itineraries already, they should have FOD parties already on the schedule every week instead of waiting until there is a request.

My partner and I went to the "singles mingle" on one of our Princess cruises to drink the free cheap champagne. We met two single straight women traveling together from Texas. We ended up having a great time with them throughout the cruise--unknowingly picking out the same shore excursions in all three ports. They joined us for dinner on the second formal night. We called it our prom.

I agree completely....in this day and age...it should just be on the program already.
I agree – let’s get over hiding in the shadows. We should call these meetings what they are…we DON’T need to be like AA and be anonymous. I think GLBT Mixers is a good name for the gatherings. Princess – when I was on Grand Princess – at least called them “Friends of Dorothy/Rainbow” meetings…
I enjoy mingling with all passengers and not being exclusive, plus those I have met were interested in either hook-ups (which I was not) or smoking pot (which I don't).

However, I don't understand why a cruise line would not wish to have them and would think that it is more the discretion of the cruise director rather than a corporate policy.

I am sure that I'm in the minority feeling as I do about the meetings, have met people online before cruises and met up for drinks, but didn't meet anyone at the FOD meetings I thought I'd be inerested in hanging with.

Hmmm – one of us has been on the wrong ship. I have been to every FOD gathering - as an activist, I sort of think it a duty – that has been advertised on my cruises. I have never met anyone interested in hooking up or carrying pot. In fact the people who I’ve found with both of those attributes have been those who haven’t been at the FOD gatherings. But out of 63 cruises, can you really judge what kinds of people you might have met given you only went to two organized gatherings?

bd, go ahead and think of it as your duty to attend, I seriously doubt that I'll ever attend one again. Still see no need, I don't live in a world separated and don't cruise that way.

As far as meeting people there interested in hook-ups, etc and 'was I on the wrong ship' probably just the wrong set of people on board and maybe your cruising experience is more vast than mine, I've only been on 63 cruises.

Jeremy and I wish all of you a very Happy Holiday.

For me, it's not a matter of living in a "separated" world. It's just nice sometimes to meet the other gay and lesbian people on board. I do like meeting all sorts of people across the spectrum whether they be gay or not of course! Some of my favorite people have been retired straight couples. In fact, fondly recall Lila and Joe from Jacksonville...wonderful people. I squired Lila to their table many nights, going down the "grand staircase" on the Millennium. 70+ years old but still a beautiful woman. In any case, I just like the FOD parties...they are nice to have.

Still haven't done my formal letter to HAL management....need to get to that tonight!

Jeff

bd, go ahead and think of it as your duty to attend, I seriously doubt that I'll ever attend one again. Still see no need, I don't live in a world separated and don't cruise that way.

As far as meeting people there interested in hook-ups, etc and 'was I on the wrong ship' probably just the wrong set of people on board and maybe your cruising experience is more vast than mine, I've only been on 63 cruises.

Jeremy and I wish all of you a very Happy Holiday.

Wow – are you sure you’re sending good wishes? I had no intention of pissing anyone off…just my observation that the 2 out of 63 experiences didn’t really offer up a balanced sample. Your cruising experience is much more vast than mine, but I would suggest that quality trumps quantity anytime.

As for being separated – wouldn’t it be a wonderful world if we could all live together as one populous and have no need for GLBT gatherings? Fact is, to meet people and to share common experiences, ideas and preferences, sometimes one needs a catalyst. The last thing I’d suggest to anyone is that they attend a GLBT gathering on board ship if doing so is against what they feel they want to do. It’s your cruise – and God knows we don’t want you there if you’re going to be crabby. But it might be worthwhile to consider what one might be missing.

Archived