Carnival lost my daughter from Camp Carnival

blondee007

See how it plays out. Check one of the Megan's Law's websites for your neighborhood and see how many sex offenders live near you.

For the record, when I said "in real life" I meant "not on a cruise" as in "back in your real life"... your "not on vacation" life.

:eek: why do people keep saying this??????

The cruise ship IS the real world FTLOG! Anything that can happend to your child on land can also happen on the ship.

Personally for people like me who live in a pretty low populated area, chances of coming in contact with a pervert are greater on a ship holding 25,000 passengers plus crew members in a confined space.

Maybe they keep saying this because no cruise ship holds 25,000 pax and crew...

On this thread people have called cruise ships a floating city - to me a city of - at most - 6,000 thousand pax and crew would be small indeed.

Any incident on a cruise ship gets disprortionate media attention vs the "real world." Things like this happen in day care, day in and day out - with much, much, much, less attention than the death of the baby killer doctor.

See this just shows how everyone differs........I would have never left my 10 year old alone asleep in the cabin........overprotective? I don't think so......

Gee-it was a balcony cabin and his grandparents were in the cabin next door. Oh no-we got up early and went to the gym and left him sleeping too. We worked harder than anyone else to be parents (did you have FBI background check, personal and business references and Aids test to become parents-we did and got the best son in the world who traveled all the way from Korea) and would not jeopardize him for anything.

You are kidding right:confused:

I actually was going to respond the same way.

It seems that the cruise ship is NOT the real world...it's a LaLa Land of good people.

We'll call it The Good Ship Lollipop.

Maybe they keep saying this because no cruise ship holds 25,000 pax and crew...

On this thread people have called cruise ships a floating city - to me a city of - at most - 6,000 thousand pax and crew would be small indeed.

Any incident on a cruise ship gets disprortionate media attention vs the "real world." Things like this happen in day care, day in and day out - with much, much, much, less attention than the death of the baby killer doctor.

Oh FTLOG, I meant 2500....and what I said holds.

I live in what's considered a BIG town in Maine...but we are spaced by acres and acres of land...so yeah, in some situations, depending on where you live you come in contact with more people on a cruise ship than at home (depending on where you live...and in my case, what season. In the summer, the population of my state more than doubles AND the crime rate rises...due to 'vacationers'....)

Coming in contact with more people would tend to up your chances of a crime being committed...hence the low violent crime rate in this state because the population is so low, and why I was THRILLED to move out of Philadelphia.

All anyone needs to do is check the site that lists preditors in your neighborhood....you'll be SHOCKED to see what's out there.

I am not a hysterical parent that kept my kids under lock and key...they had freedoms at home, (within limits) because at home, it is a 'village' for some people where neighbors look out for one another. On a cruise ship, full of strangers?? That is a different story altogether. My 'protected children' who I never considered TAKING on a cruise until they were 14 and 17, grew up very well adjusted and confident...my oldest left home after HS to go thousands of miles away to college, and after graduations is in her second year working for The Americorps...all over the country. She is currently in WA State....very far from home, so I guess she didn't become a basket case after my being protective of her. There needs to be a balance..and each individual child is different. Hell, my 2 are night and day for goodness sake. How can you all blast the OP??? You don't know her or her child.

Different strokes for different folks, but bashing this OP (whether troll or not) because her 10 year old got scared is just pathetic.

when I took my kids at age six and eight, I "tested" them several times to make sure they knew where our cabin was. I would take them to various parts of the ship and make them lead me back to the cabin. We also went over basic safety rules, i.e. look for someone in uniform, how to get to the purser's desk / infirmary etc. Then I felt much better letting them have a little freedom, and they knew not to panic if something like this happened.

While I still think it was irresponsible of the Camp Carnival staff to do what they did, I like to be prepared for this kind of occurence.

Originally Posted by penetangjudy viewpost.gif

I really doubt this statement holds much validity. If you were to do a statistical analysis of a 'typical' neighbourhood in a large city with the same number of people as on a cruise ship broken down by age, income, sexual deviancy, and connection with the legal system my educated guess would be the people on dry land would be of a much larger percentage. Then when you take into account the fact the the high percentage of reoffenders who couldn't even afford a cruise, let alone get a passport to even be able to travel and the ones who could, but wouldn't risk being caught in a confined space like a ship let alone the fact that their crimes are usually committed in a safe zone that they are familiar with that they wouldn't have access to on a ship.

So, no, a cruise ship really isn't 'like' the real world, it is a pared down more idylic version.

That MAY be true for someone that has been convicted but what about the person who has not been caught and continues to do these horrible things... That is the world I live in....it is my job as a parent (and one that I take very seriously) to protect my 10 yr old child and will not allow her to sign out of camp or to be on the ship alone at ANY time! That is my life rule and due to this she will be alive and well enought to enter the world on her own when she is ready.

Alright, I am not going to read 17 pages of blah blah blah about what a child should or should not have done or known.

I fact remains that a child should not be sent out of the Camp alone. Had this been my child, I would have been sent to the brink after the rage I would have gone into. Imagine, walking into the Camp and being told, "You child is gone, we had her leave by herself . . . . "

My 2 cents.

Gee-it was a balcony cabin and his grandparents were in the cabin next door. Oh no-we got up early and went to the gym and left him sleeping too. We worked harder than anyone else to be parents (did you have FBI background check, personal and business references and Aids test to become parents-we did and got the best son in the world who traveled all the way from Korea) and would not jeopardize him for anything.

This does not change the fact that I would not leave my 10 year old alone sleeping in our cabin.......

And I have the best son in the world too:D

I actually was going to respond the same way.

It seems that the cruise ship is NOT the real world...it's a LaLa Land of good people.

We'll call it The Good Ship Lollipop.

Which is every predators dream;)

Different strokes for different folks, but bashing this OP (whether troll or not) because her 10 year old got scared is just pathetic.

I would say beyond pathetic........

I was put in a situation as a grown adult and I actually totally freaked out, my mind was going in a thousand different places........it took me a few minutes to get myself together and take control of the situation.......I can not even imagine a 10 year old being put in this situation......I don't care how prepared you are...........

Hi Everyone,

We just returned from cruising on the Triumph on May 24 with ports of call to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Belize. The ports of call were awesome but on the last night when my daughter was in Camp Carnival one of the camp counselors approached my daughter (who is 10) telling her she needed to sign out. My daughter felt confused and forced to sign out so she left. My daughter was seen sitting around crying not knowing what to do. When we arrived at 10:00 p.m. and Camp Carnival told us she didn't feel good and they told her to sign out and go to the room. We were furious. We went to the room and she was not there. My husband and I were now devastated thinking the worst and upset beyond anything. Keep in mind it's now about 10:30 p.m. and no one has called our room yet. We went heading to the front desk when a photographer stopped us asking if I was looking for my daughter? This nice lady had taken our daughter to the front desk. The front desk never did call our room to let us know she was there. Wierd. Anyway, happy ending, we found her crying and upset. She was told to sign out. We talked to supervisor and they said oops, sorry that was wrong, they didn't follow protocol but nothing they could or would do. We have since taken more serious measures.

:D

although it is tough to find a job today, I hope that that crew member was a) suspended for a period of time, b) taken out of camp carnival and placed elsewhere, or c) terminated.

this reminds me of the post about the club 02 person giving alcoholic beverages to the teens.

although it is tough to find a job today, I hope that that crew member was a) suspended for a period of time, b) taken out of camp carnival and placed elsewhere, or c) terminated.

this reminds me of the post about the club 02 person giving alcoholic beverages to the teens.

There are three sides to every story -- the OP's side, Carnival's side and the truth. And possibly a 4th if the kid was lying to her folks as to what happened. I can see a lot of "what ifs" with this story. It's a shame the OP hasn't come back to offer a little more insight. Things like this can be extremely helpful to those with kiddos.

This does not change the fact that I would not leave my 10 year old alone sleeping in our cabin.......

And I have the best son in the world too:D

You do what you want and and I will do what I want. We can each enjoy our cruises in the way that we choose. Just hope we get to go on more cruises soon.

You do what you want and and I will do what I want. We can each enjoy our cruises in the way that we choose. Just hope we get to go on more cruises soon.

I just want to say that I would have no problem whatsoever with leaving my 8 and 9 year old kids sleeping in the room while we went to a show or something. They don't go to bed until close to midnight, though, so it just hasn't happened yet. We usually let them stay at camp until midnight and then pick them up, order room service, and crash. If they went to bed earlier, though, I wouldn't have the slightest qualms with letting them sleep in the room alone, particularly if they can reach us via walkie talkie from the room to wherever we are on the ship in case they needed something.

Please don't tell me that you don't realize that the OP's first and only post is 100% BUNK.

This is the posting of a TROLL or a joker. IT NEVER happened!

Alright' date=' I am not going to read 17 pages of blah blah blah about what a child should or should not have done or known.

I fact remains that a child should not be sent out of the Camp alone. Had this been my child, I would have been sent to the brink after the rage I would have gone into. Imagine, walking into the Camp and being told, "You child is gone, we had her leave by herself . . . . "

My 2 cents.[/quote']

Couldn't agree more . . .

I just want to say that I would have no problem whatsoever with leaving my 8 and 9 year old kids sleeping in the room while we went to a show or something. They don't go to bed until close to midnight, though, so it just hasn't happened yet. We usually let them stay at camp until midnight and then pick them up, order room service, and crash. If they went to bed earlier, though, I wouldn't have the slightest qualms with letting them sleep in the room alone, particularly if they can reach us via walkie talkie from the room to wherever we are on the ship in case they needed something.

Thanks. We usually travel with another family with older children for our son to spend time with and he has cruised with them on his first 4 cruises. This is the first time he was on his own. Most of the time it was to go get ice cream, shoot baskets or go to the arcade. I think his judgement was off that night because he was sick. He spent the next 2 days with a fever-no, he did not have norovirus. He does not enjoy kids club (we did sign him up the first day just in case)so the only time he was in kids club was on this occasion.

I am fully with you. A ten yr old should have known of something else to do besides sit and cry.

Just another symptom of over protecting the kids then something like this happens and they are not prepared.

My niece is 14 yrs old and she would not be able to find her cabin. That is my sisters fault.

oh please.. guess u don't have kids, and if you do I feel bad!

AS a mother of 4. 13,9,8 and 2. I can't believe Carnival handled that situation that way. Thank god she was found and was ok. You don't know if your cruising with petifiles. What if someone grabbed her and took her into their room and abused her?? Yes I am protective to a point. THAT'S MY job as a mother!! If you put your kids in the camp THEY'RE responsible for them. NO matter how old they are... I feel bad that girl was scared and alone. She is only 10! Good luck. I hope you win!

AS a mother of 4. 13,9,8 and 2. I can't believe Carnival handled that situation that way. Thank god she was found and was ok. You don't know if your cruising with petifiles. What if someone grabbed her and took her into their room and abused her?? Yes I am protective to a point. THAT'S MY job as a mother!! If you put your kids in the camp THEY'RE responsible for them. NO matter how old they are... I feel bad that girl was scared and alone. She is only 10! Good luck. I hope you win!

hello anyone home.......

Please don't tell me that you don't realize that the OP's first and only post is 100% BUNK.

This is the posting of a TROLL or a joker. IT NEVER happened!

Why is it when the subject is not something that is important to YOU the OP is a Troll?

Are we sure this even happened as the poster stated? The poster hasn't even been back. I am leaning towards an earlier post where they said the child could have signed themselves out and then lied about what happened. Children do lie, I have yet to meet a child who hasn't.

I am fully with you. A ten yr old should have known of something else to do besides sit and cry.

Just another symptom of over protecting the kids then something like this happens and they are not prepared.

My niece is 14 yrs old and she would not be able to find her cabin. That is my sisters fault.

Wow that is really mean for you to say. My dd is 10 and yes I am over protective. Look at the 5 year old they just dragged from the river 2 days ago. Maybe if her mother was over protective she would be alive today?!?!

I don't hope they win. Then prices go up and we all pay for parents that didn't do their homework, and allowed their child to sign herself out. The difference between you and the OP is this would never happen to you because you would not allow your children to sign themselves out and the OP did. Their fault this happened, not Carnivals. Do I feel for the child? Yes I do, but that doesn't mean Carnival is to blame. The point of the child signing themselves out is stressed at orientation. If you do not give permission, the child never leaves Camp Carnival. Not even for childrens activities that are outside their classroom.

Archived