Carnival lost my daughter from Camp Carnival

blondee007

I have a very smart 10-year old. I'm not sure he would go back to the room if he was very upset or scared. Maybe he would. But I don't think it's a given.

Glad things worked out for you and your daughter. Scary.

YEA i was going to say the same thing..its something about " things not going according to plan and shock....my son would have done the same thing ...thanks for posting so i can review this with my 10Y/o son of " things that can happen and what to do"

Sorry, but my kids are 8 and 9 and yes, I do believe kids at that age can and should be able to find their way back to their stateroom. If they're able to sign themselves out of Camp, which must be approved up front by the parents, then the parents should make SURE they know their way around the ship.

I totally agree. I gave my son privileges with strict guidelines when he was 9.75 yrs old - but before I let him use them, I made him show me how to get to the necessary places on the ship - our room, the lido deck, the dining room, the lobby etc. We used the maps by the elevators for guidance and he caught on very quickly. Before he could head off to camp, we made it clear where we would be, and that all he could do if he signed out from camp would be to get some ice cream and head back to the room.

To the OP -

I am sorry that you had this experience. But honestly, your post was misleading and I don't think Carnival "owes" you anything... you gave her the ability to sign in and out - you didn't have to do that. Carnival didn't lose your child...your child got lost. There is a difference. Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but it seems to me the situation could have been prevented through different choices.

OMG, I am so happy everything worked out.

Years ago I took my 9 Y.O. DD to a movie theater, she needed to go to the bathroom and I waited at the door for her, after 5 minutes and her not coming out I asked a lady to see if she was in there(I gave her a pic from my wallet), and she was not there, I went screaming to the ticket office and thankfully they called all lights up(12 plex theater) and a lock down, we finally found her back in our seats watching the movie. So I know first hand that horrible feeling.

(crazy bathrooms had 2 entries on opposing ends, oiy)

Does anyone find it odd that this is the OP's first post and the OP has not returned to respond to anything? Hmmmm....

Or is lurking, just reading posts, like the second poster is. That second poster is me.

Jerry

I totally agree. I gave my son privileges with strict guidelines when he was 9.75 yrs old - but before I let him use them, I made him show me how to get to the necessary places on the ship - our room, the lido deck, the dining room, the lobby etc. We used the maps by the elevators for guidance and he caught on very quickly. Before he could head off to camp, we made it clear where we would be, and that all he could do if he signed out from camp would be to get some ice cream and head back to the room.

To the OP -

I am sorry that you had this experience. But honestly, your post was misleading and I don't think Carnival "owes" you anything... you gave her the ability to sign in and out - you didn't have to do that. Carnival didn't lose your child...your child got lost. There is a difference. Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but it seems to me the situation could have been prevented through different choices.

this is what i will be doing in july...and he's responsible....but then sometimes ..there are some moments.....he gets turned around...he ask specfic questions and if they don't go according to what we talk about.......i like he shuts down...i'm working on that as we speak....

OP....I am also glad your child was safe, however, this sounds like a case of either lack of communication between the staff or an honest mistake to which I would 'think' a heartfelt apology to you should have been sufficient.

As for you taking further measures I personally find it incredible you would even think there was reason to do so. I agree with those who said you should bear some responibility for your 10 year old child and her lack of ability to navigate around the ship, you could/should have helped prevent this incident and should take some ownership.

We wonder why the world is in such bad shape :(

Seems that this was inexcusable on the part of Camp Carnival staff. I would have called Carnival Corp. on this when I got home. No way a child of any age should have been left to fend for themselves.

It has been YEARS since I have read the paperwork and releases that they have the parents sign when you go to orientation.

I know that 9-11 year olds are allowed to sign themselves out. I always had an agreement with my boys that they were not allowed to sign themselves out.

When our youngest with Autism was 11, he got scared while we were at dinner on Formal Night. The Camp Carnival Director Charlie looked up our table information and brought him to us in the Formal Dining Room. She made sure we knew what had scared him and that he is ok before she left.

As Dr Phil says....I don't care how flat a pancake is...it still has two sides.

Every kid is different. My son is just a little over 7 and I can't imagine in less than a year he would be capable of signing himself out and navigating the ship by himself. However, that is my son specifically. Another 8 year old may do just fine.

However, just because there are 8 year olds who can do this, it does not mean every single 8 year old has the same capabilities. It also doesn't mean that the parents of the less capable kids have been deficient in their parenting.

Seems that this was inexcusable on the part of Camp Carnival staff. I would have called Carnival Corp. on this when I got home. No way a child of any age should have been left to fend for themselves.

I disagree. The parents sign a waiver when they drop their kids off at Camp Carnival stating that they are aware that 10 year olds can sign themselves out. It isn't a babysitting service; it is an activities room/group.

If the parents did not want there child to ever be unsupervised, they needed to stay at Camp Carnival with their child.

Every kid is different. My son is just a little over 7 and I can't imagine in less than a year he would be capable of signing himself out and navigating the ship by himself. However, that is my son specifically. Another 8 year old may do just fine.

However, just because there are 8 year olds who can do this, it does not mean every single 8 year old has the same capabilities. It also doesn't mean that the parents of the less capable kids have been deficient in their parenting.

It most certainly does not.......

Op glad kiddo is ok...........

LMAO @ "left to fend for themselves" - as if the kid was dropped on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere at midnight. Kids ages 9 and up are allowed to sign themselves out of camp, per Carnival policy. If the parent didn't like that, they could have simply not checked the box on the registration form that said they were okay with their child signing in/out on her own. Being that the parent must have checked off the box granting signing out privileges, the camp counselor was not in any way out of line. The parent was negligent in not making sure the child had a "plan" in place for what to do when leaving camp.

OMG!

I was bursting a vein in my forehead just reading this! I can't even IMAGINE being there in your shoes! I can't IMAGINE leaving my child ANYWHERE upon returning finding out she was NOT there.

Rest of thoughts will remain behind this keyboard before I type something I may regret.

Hi Everyone,

We just returned from cruising on the Triumph on May 24 with ports of call to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Belize. The ports of call were awesome but on the last night when my daughter was in Camp Carnival one of the camp counselors approached my daughter (who is 10) telling her she needed to sign out. My daughter felt confused and forced to sign out so she left. My daughter was seen sitting around crying not knowing what to do. When we arrived at 10:00 p.m. and Camp Carnival told us she didn't feel good and they told her to sign out and go to the room. We were furious. We went to the room and she was not there. My husband and I were now devastated thinking the worst and upset beyond anything. Keep in mind it's now about 10:30 p.m. and no one has called our room yet. We went heading to the front desk when a photographer stopped us asking if I was looking for my daughter? This nice lady had taken our daughter to the front desk. The front desk never did call our room to let us know she was there. Wierd. Anyway, happy ending, we found her crying and upset. She was told to sign out. We talked to supervisor and they said oops, sorry that was wrong, they didn't follow protocol but nothing they could or would do. We have since taken more serious measures.

:D

Just one simple question. When you signed the form for your child, did you give permission for your child to sign herself out of camp carnival? It is on the form. If you gave permission then you can't really blame Carnival, if you did not, that would be a different story. Glad everything turned out okay.

I will be on Triumph THIS Sunday with my 9 year old. :eek:

I am not giving her signing out privledges. And I always pick the kids up at 10pm. But I am shocked they would tell kids to sign themselves out at 10pm as to not go on the paying service.

Yes, I think my daughter would make it back to the cabin, but she doesn't carry her own card, I do. So what would she do once she made it back? Just sit outside the door? :(

Yeah I will be asking this question on Sunday. I'll post the answer when I get back. ;)

As per the Carnival website:

How do I sign my children in and out of activities?

>>Camp Carnival 9-11 Years Sign In/Out Policy:

Children 9 YEARS OLD AND OVER are free to sign themselves in/out of Camp Carnival as they choose at any time and for any reason. Camp Carnival is not responsible for children 9 years old and over once they have signed themselves out of a Camp Carnival Activity. Please give your 9 - 11 year old child a cabin key or arrange to meet him or her at a specific time and place. Children are not permitted to sign themselves out after 10:00pm. After 10:00pm 9 -11 year olds must be picked up by their parent from After Hours (fees apply after 10:00pm). Parents that do not want their 9 -11 year olds to sign themselves in & out of our activities will be REQUIRED to sign their child in & out when attending Camp Carnival. If the parent/legal guardian chooses to change this policy and allow the child to sign in/out by themselves they must contact the Youth Director.>>

If the OP did not approve her child to be able to sign herself out, then I'd say she has a point. If she did approve of the child having that privilege, then I'd say she is out of gas. Maybe she will come back and answer some questions.

I must say I am suspicious that she lists her favorite cruiseline as RC, but I could just be getting paranoid. ;-)

Why didn't your daughter just go back to your cabin? I'm just confused as to why she would sit somewhere and cry instead of heading back to the room.

Me too. At age 9, kids can sign themselves out of Camp Carnival anytime they wish. Under that age, parents have to do it.

It seems to me that this 10 year old should have been told what to do if/when she leaves Camp Carnival.... Someone should have thoroughly familiarized her with the ship with regard getting from the public decks to their cabin.

I've sailed once a year with my grandson since he was 8.....he's now 17. When he was little, he knew the ship better than I did and had full run of the place. At 12, he no longer had a curfew.

This isn't a "Camp Carnival" problem, this is a parent problem......

Hi Everyone,

We just returned from cruising on the Triumph on May 24 with ports of call to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Belize. The ports of call were awesome but on the last night when my daughter was in Camp Carnival one of the camp counselors approached my daughter (who is 10) telling her she needed to sign out. My daughter felt confused and forced to sign out so she left. My daughter was seen sitting around crying not knowing what to do. When we arrived at 10:00 p.m. and Camp Carnival told us she didn't feel good and they told her to sign out and go to the room. We were furious. We went to the room and she was not there. My husband and I were now devastated thinking the worst and upset beyond anything. Keep in mind it's now about 10:30 p.m. and no one has called our room yet. We went heading to the front desk when a photographer stopped us asking if I was looking for my daughter? This nice lady had taken our daughter to the front desk. The front desk never did call our room to let us know she was there. Wierd. Anyway, happy ending, we found her crying and upset. She was told to sign out. We talked to supervisor and they said oops, sorry that was wrong, they didn't follow protocol but nothing they could or would do. We have since taken more serious measures.

:D

Sorry. I don't believe this for one second.

I still make dd17 walk places with friends on the ship - I would never let a 10 year old have sign-out privileges and walk alone at night. However, even a child should know that if they are "in trouble" to go to a security officer, or a crew member for help. (they all wear Carnival gold name badges - even when off duty) I would tell her to go to a female crew member, just to play it safe. Glad everything turned out okay. Hope the op returns to this thread shortly. (I also have my suspicions about this being a first post with such a "hot topic", and then not returning to check in now and then)

My son was 9 on the Glory last October and I did not approve for him to have sign out privileges. He will be 10 this October on the Glory again and I will not approve it again. I don't think my 10 year old is mature enough yet for the right to roam freely around the ship. I'd be scared of him falling overboard or getting lost or someone doing something to him. I'll re-evaluate when he's 11 next year. For now, if he wants to go to Camp Carnival, that's where he'll stay until they call me that he wants to be picked up or until I'm ready to go get him. Each year so far I've canceled the charging privileges on his sign and sail card too. This year I think I'll put a set amount on it and see if he can use it responsibly and when that amount is gone, then there's no more arcade or shopping money for him.

My son was 9 on the Glory last October and I did not approve for him to have sign out privileges. He will be 10 this October on the Glory again and I will not approve it again. I don't think my 10 year old is mature enough yet for the right to roam freely around the ship. I'd be scared of him falling overboard or getting lost or someone doing something to him. I'll re-evaluate when he's 11 next year. For now, if he wants to go to Camp Carnival, that's where he'll stay until they call me that he wants to be picked up or until I'm ready to go get him. Each year so far I've canceled the charging privileges on his sign and sail card too. This year I think I'll put a set amount on it and see if he can use it responsibly and when that amount is gone, then there's no more arcade or shopping money for him.

My 9 year old is allowed to sign himself in and out of camp, and both my 8 and 9 year old children are allowed to spend a certain amount of time doing things on their own around the ship. They always have their S&S cards with them, but I do not allow charging privileges on their cards, and I probably won't for several years. At this point, there's nothing they want to do that isn't "free" or included in the cruise fare - and if they asked to spend money in the arcade they'd be met with boisterous laughter ;) I think you're right, though, it depends on the maturity level of the child, and his or her ability to follow the rules, not get lost, and not lose their cool if something goes awry. My kids have 14 cruises under their belts and are very comfortable with the freedom we allow them.

Archived