TA won't file form for ES price drop!

thelmalou

I think your TA is out to make a little extra gas money:eek:

Me thinks so too.

Wondering if the TA in question is an 'actual company' or one who 'works out of their house'... The (one) bad experience I had was a single person who 'worked out of her house' - she was a 'real travel agent' but there was no real recourse when I found her business practices to be a bit 'shady' IMO. The only thing I could have done is report her to the licenseing agency, which I did, but that is not much consolation when you feel clearly cheated.

I'm having the same problem! I initially contacted my TA to ask about the Pack & Go rate. He said he'd check on it and I never heard back. I didn't follow up cause after reading here I didn't think I'd qualify. However I have since seen people report that they did get it... Then I upgraded to a balcony gty from an inside for $200, he was right on top of that one. The resident rate dropped $120 last weekend so I asked him to submit the form. No response. Asked him again a couple of days later and he said he double checked with Carnival and that I could submit the form myself. I tried twice, and of course got an email from Carnival saying he has to submit it. I've now asked him again and copied their email...waiting to hear back. Not like it's difficult or time consuming!

I'd be more upset or consider switching back to Carnival for the fee, but he does include gratuities for the same cruise fare as Carnival, so we are saving $210 by using him. Just frustrating because there isn't much I can do to make him submit the form.

I'm having the same problem! I initially contacted my TA to ask about the Pack & Go rate. He said he'd check on it and I never heard back. I didn't follow up cause after reading here I didn't think I'd qualify. However I have since seen people report that they did get it... Then I upgraded to a balcony gty from an inside for $200, he was right on top of that one. The resident rate dropped $120 last weekend so I asked him to submit the form. No response. Asked him again a couple of days later and he said he double checked with Carnival and that I could submit the form myself. I tried twice, and of course got an email from Carnival saying he has to submit it. I've now asked him again and copied their email...waiting to hear back. Not like it's difficult or time consuming!

I'd be more upset or consider switching back to Carnival for the fee, but he does include gratuities for the same cruise fare as Carnival, so we are saving $210 by using him. Just frustrating because there isn't much I can do to make him submit the form.

I am as cheap as the day is long and there is no amount of savings that would make keep a booking with an agent like that. He doesn't deserve a commission if he doesn't want to do the work for you. That's why he's getting paid.

If I was booking ES which I can't do (my plans are always up in the air) I would book direct.

Seems like the ES rates with CCL are weeding the field out and there will only be a small percentage of people booking with TA's at this rate.:(

Bill

There has been a huge price drop for our cruise (booked Early Saver), but since I booked through a travel agent, I can't apply for the OBC credit myself. The TA has to do it.

I called TA, but they've put me off for days.... "We'll check on it. "... They keep saying things like that the price given for "Pack and Go" last minute deal doesn't count (but "we'll check on it") or that I would probably have to upgrade my cabins to get the OBC. (but "we'll check on it.") Baloney!

I finally got them to admit that if they rebook me at the lower price, they will have to send Carnival some of their commission back and that they would be "upside down" and lose money. It's so frustrating since I can't file for the price drop myself, I'm at their mercy. They said that the only way they would file it is if I pay them an extra $200+ to cover their "losses". What can I do?

I knew that it was just a matter of time until this happened.

Transfer your booked to a PVP....problem solved.

It is YOUR money and your booking...and if this TA doesn't want your business take it elsewhere...immediately!

The TA doesn't have to release the booking and this one clearly won't!

Carnival tells agents THEY must make the Price Protection request:

2. In the unlikely event that you do find a lower Carnival-advertised rate* after booking your cruise, we will honor it and adjust your cruise rate accordingly. Simply fill out the Price Protection Claim form and we'll take care of the rest. If you booked your cruise with a travel agent and need to make a Price Protection Claim, simply contact your travel agent and they will submit it for you.

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's the "price protection" fine print from Carnival for Early Saver rates....note that it doesn't seem to exclude Pack&Go rates...

Price Protection:

Price protection applies to new Early Saver bookings only and requires payment of a non-refundable and non-transferable deposit. Applies to cruise fare only. Applies only to a Carnival.com or Carnival advertised fare available to the general public and excludes group rates, membership programs, charters or other Travel Agent promotions not offered by Carnival to the general public, including but not limited to travel agent rebates. To submit a Price Protection claim, visit carnival.com/earlysaver. When submitting a rate lock request, you must provide the lower rate amount and where the rate can be found. Requests will be accepted up to two business days prior to sailing. Lower rate must be: (i) for the same ship, sail date, stateroom category and number of guests; (ii) are a Carnival advertised rate (iii) is available for booking at the time the request is reviewed by Carnival's reservation agents. Verified rate difference is issued as an on-board credit. The on-board credit is non-refundable, non-transferable and has no cash value. Any unused portion of the onboard credit will be forfeited. Rate lock is not combinable with other promotions. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable. Program subject to change at any time without prior notice.

No where does this say that the TA MUST make the request. It says that if a request is made it must come from the TA.

The real bottom line is that you are at the mercy of the TA. If they do not want to process the request they don't have to and they can charge you whatever fee they want for doing it.

The OP can't cancel without losing the deposit and cannot change the name on the reservation.

This situation is a lesson to all. If you book ES get in writing from the TA before booking that they will process all requests for fare reductions without change to you and within one business day of you asking them to do so. If they will not agree to this either find a different TA, book yourself or forget about ES.

you wouldn't happen to know the powerball numbers for tomorrow would you?:D

Bill

I wish, but you had to realize that this would effect the TAs bottom line and that it was only a matter of time until they started balking at getting these fare reductions. Heck, if I were a TA I would probably not have any business because I would tell my clients up front that any fare reductions would cost the som e fee (probably $50 pp).

No where does this say that the TA MUST make the request. It says that if a request is made it must come from the TA.

:confused: Im confused.....

Whats the difference? :confused:

( wait...I just re-read what you wrote. Are you saying that Carnival says that if a request is made it must be made by the TA...however, it is up to the TA if they *want* to submit it?) Bad Business.....if they *wont*.

I wish, but you had to realize that this would effect the TAs bottom line and that it was only a matter of time until they started balking at getting these fare reductions. Heck, if I were a TA I would probably not have any business because I would tell my clients up front that any fare reductions would cost the som e fee (probably $50 pp).

But wouldnt *any* price reduction effect the bottom line>?

Not all TAs have a problem processing price drops....

(only some of them do appearently)

while for normal bookings TA's are not necessarily required to handle price drops, for Early Saver bookings they ARE required to do so and they bought into this when they accepted your Early Saver Booking.

Call Carnival, insist on speaking to a supervisor regarding a TA Non-Performance issue, explain to supervisor that your TA is refusing to handle Early Saver price drops (and what they told you), and ask that (a) Carnival take back your booking and keep it and (b) that they handle your current price drop issue for you.

Unless there's more to this, you should be OK.

Your Price match request with "Pack and Go' may NOT be legitimate, by the way, as the Pack and Go Bookings are gor "Guarantee" cabins and since your Early Saver is a Specific Cabin, you don't meet the Terms of Early Saver for Price Match as it's not the same Cabin type/Category. Having said that, there are some reports that they've done something for these cases.

ken

:confused: Im confused.....

Whats the difference? :confused:

( wait...I just re-read what you wrote. Are you saying that Carnival says that if a request is made it must be made by the TA...however, it is up to the TA if they *want* to submit it?) Bad Business.....if they *wont*.

If you book with a TA any requests for price reductions must be submitted by the TA.

There is no language that says a TA is obligated to request a price drop on behalf of a client. The TA is the agent of the traveler. The agreement between the TA and the traveler governs what the TA is supposed to do for the traveler. If they did not agree before the cruise was booked that the TA would ask for price reductions then the TA does not have to ask for them because a lower price results in a lower commission and that is not the price that they originally agreed to work for, even though most travelers never know how much they are paying in commission. (BTW the traveler is paying the commission, not the cruise line because it comes right out of the cruise fare.)

while for normal bookings TA's are not necessarily required to handle price drops, for Early Saver bookings they ARE required to do so and they bought into this when they accepted your Early Saver Booking.

Call Carnival, insist on speaking to a supervisor regarding a TA Non-Performance issue, explain to supervisor that your TA is refusing to handle Early Saver price drops (and what they told you), and ask that (a) Carnival take back your booking and keep it and (b) that they handle your current price drop issue for you.

Unless there's more to this, you should be OK.

Your Price match request with "Pack and Go' may NOT be legitimate, by the way, as the Pack and Go Bookings are gor "Guarantee" cabins and since your Early Saver is a Specific Cabin, you don't meet the Terms of Early Saver for Price Match as it's not the same Cabin type/Category. Having said that, there are some reports that they've done something for these cases.

ken

Are you a TA and have language supporting this or is this just your opinion? I do not believe that a TA has to ever process any price drop request, even ES, without being compensated for doing so.

Of course I realize that and if I was a good businessman that owned a travel agency I would think they have to realize it too.

They should just not book early eaver rates and wash their hands of the matter.

Of course they are going to lose a lot of Carnival bookings.

Bottom line is the playing field has changed and you either adapt or move on.

If I was a TA I'd also realize with the ES rates that I'm going to have to work harder for less money. Bottom line for me is do I want to pass up all the ES bookings and make little commissions or make nothing at all.

Bill

They keep saying things like that the price given for "Pack and Go" last minute deal doesn't count

That is in fact correct. Pack and Go's are GTY rates, early saver are specific cabin bookings. There has been other threads on this.

Of course I realize that and if I was a good businessman that owned a travel agency I would think they have to realize it too.

They should just not book early eaver rates and wash their hands of the matter.

Of course they are going to lose a lot of Carnival bookings.

Bottom line is the playing field has changed and you either adapt or move on.

If I was a TA I'd also realize with the ES rates that I'm going to have to work harder for less money. Bottom line for me is do I want to pass up all the ES bookings and make little commissions or make nothing at all.

Bill

I would think ES rates would be good, sure, maybe they will make a little less, but with the restrictions arent you pretty sure that the traveler will actually Sail. Most people book ES because they are pretty sure their plans are firm and not going to change. (at least thats why I do it...I *know* that barring some unfortuante event, I am Sailing come hell or highwater....):)

zqvol - For Early Saver ONLY, the Price Matching is inherent in the Early Saver booking and is specifically stated as a component in Carnival's Early Saver Terms and Conditions for the product being sold, including TA responsibility for submitting Price Adjustment requests for TA-sold products. The TA bought into this when they booked Early Saver.

In responding to the OP, I expect that Carnival will willingly handle the Price adjustments for the Cruiser (if they're legitimate) and/or take the Booking back if requested by the OP (if it's true the TA refusews to handle legitimate price Adjustment requests) . Will they investigate/punish the TA - I doubt it, as they probably don't have the time.

this isn't the same as for all the other booking types, where there is nothing in writing that Carnival has any offer or obligation to grant Price Adjustments and therefore TA's have no obligation either.

BTW - I suspect this really revolves around a semantics/communications issue between TA/OP, as the OP's request for a Price Adjustment for "Pack-and-Go" price technically doesn't meet the eligibility criteria as OP has specific cabin and Pack-and-Go is Guarantee. If the price adjustment request isn't legitimate (eligible) the TA has every right to refuse to submit it.

We will see, as the OP keeps us up to date.

ken

OP if it were me, Id ask them to upgrade my cabin then. I did run into this with a TA and that's what I did. I wouldnt have minded the money back, but we also enjoyed the upgrade.

If you upgrade, your TA doesnt lose any commission and you at least get something extra for what you paid too. I wouldnt go away empty handed.

For instance maybe the pack n go balcony rates are now less than what you paid, upgrade to the balcony pack n go, which is a guarantee, if you arent already in a balcony. We got upgraded to a nice HC cabin, which is better for us.

Carnival tells agents THEY must make the Price Protection request:

2. In the unlikely event that you do find a lower Carnival-advertised rate* after booking your cruise, we will honor it and adjust your cruise rate accordingly. Simply fill out the Price Protection Claim form and we'll take care of the rest. If you booked your cruise with a travel agent and need to make a Price Protection Claim, simply contact your travel agent and they will submit it for you.

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's the "price protection" fine print from Carnival for Early Saver rates....note that it doesn't seem to exclude Pack&Go rates...

Price Protection:

Price protection applies to new Early Saver bookings only and requires payment of a non-refundable and non-transferable deposit. Applies to cruise fare only. Applies only to a Carnival.com or Carnival advertised fare available to the general public and excludes group rates, membership programs, charters or other Travel Agent promotions not offered by Carnival to the general public, including but not limited to travel agent rebates. To submit a Price Protection claim, visit carnival.com/earlysaver. When submitting a rate lock request, you must provide the lower rate amount and where the rate can be found. Requests will be accepted up to two business days prior to sailing. Lower rate must be: (i) for the same ship, sail date, stateroom category and number of guests; (ii) are a Carnival advertised rate (iii) is available for booking at the time the request is reviewed by Carnival's reservation agents. Verified rate difference is issued as an on-board credit. The on-board credit is non-refundable, non-transferable and has no cash value. Any unused portion of the onboard credit will be forfeited. Rate lock is not combinable with other promotions. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable. Program subject to change at any time without prior notice.

Early Saver bookings are specific Cabin (4A, 6C.....) - Pack-and-Go are Guarantee Cabins (IS, OV....) - not the same Category. ken

Archived