Open Dining - Table sharing

TiogaCruiser

Now that the sharing of tables in the Lido has been throughly reviewed and philophosied, one question:

How is open seating in the dining room handled? Does a party of 2 sit alone, or are tables filled as people come in? We chose the open dining option for our cruise in 2 weeks. (I don't mind sharing a table with others- actually it would be fun.)

We had open dining on our recent Zuiderdam cruise. When we arrived at the dining room, we were asked if we wanted to share a table. If we did we were shown to a table where people had just been seated - we never joined a table where the meal had started. This worked well except for one night when we were seated at a table for ten, with eight who seemed to know each other and carried on their conversation as if we were not there. After that we said we would share on a table of four or six and that request was accommodated. One evening we wanted to dine alone and had no problem getting a table for two. We were somewhat apprehensive about open dining, but enjoyed it and would definitely go that route again.

Sheila

How is open seating in the dining room handled? Does a party of 2 sit alone, or are tables filled as people come in? We chose the open dining option for our cruise in 2 weeks. (I don't mind sharing a table with others- actually it would be fun.)
Just as it is for the open seating for breakfast and lunch. You'll give your cabin number and any preferences to the person at the podium. They will do their best.

Just as it is for the open seating for breakfast and lunch. You'll give your cabin number and any preferences to the person at the podium. They will do their best.

You can make a reservation for a table within the open dining set up. If you definitely want a table for 2, or want to eat with a specific group and know what time you want to eat, this may be a better option than just turning up.

You can also request the same table each night, provided it is available, and to be in the same area, if you like your servers.

If you don't make a reservation, there is a chance you will have to wait if the request type you have is not immediately available.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

:D:D:D

On the Oosterdam we switched to open sitting after having fixed.

When I called for reservation was told only 5:45 or 7:45. To me this wasn't anytime dining and told them so.

so we just showed up when we wanted to eat and got seated at our choices immediately.

We usually showed up between 6 and 6:30. Sometimes we asked to share and sometimes wanted quiet table for two. Worked very well.

On the Statendam last September we tried to make a reservation within the open dining system, but were told we could only make it for 5:30 or 8:00pm, nothing in between. One night we did 5:30pm, but it was a little too early for us, so the next few nights we just came to the dining room at 6:00pm. The wait to get a table for 4 was about 15 minutes.

Having cruised on the Grand Princess and the Celebrity Mercury before, we never expected the kind of waiting we encountered on the Zuiderdam in all eating areas on our Alaska cruise last week. Some waiters were rude and the maitre d' was not the most pleasant.

Table sharing/open dining was ok. You took your chances and sometimes you got lucky with interesting dinner companions and other times you sat with less interesting people.

For anyone on a first cruise it must have been a "not-too-bad-experience" but comparing to the other cruiselines, the Zuiderdam, as far as we are concerned, rates very poorly.

Service was bad, the food was so-so, waiting in the dining room and the Lido was worse than a fast-food chain. The only good thing was the entertainment and although our cabin never got cleaned up 'till dinner time it was clean albeit the forgetfullness of the steward on towels, shampoo & soap.:mad:

This worked well except for one night when we were seated at a table for ten, with eight who seemed to know each other and carried on their conversation as if we were not there.

That's just rude in my opinion. If they don't want to socialize with others at the dinner table they should request a table for 8.

Table sharing/open dining was ok. You took your chances and sometimes you got lucky with interesting dinner companions and other times you sat with less interesting people.

Perhaps the "less interesting people" wished they had got lucky and had "interesting dinner companions" too.

With fixed schedule dining, can a table type (for four) be reserved in advance of cruising or is table choice a maitre d' function after boarding?
We've just told our TA that we prefer a large table and our booking confirmation reflects that. As a couple, a table for 4 is our absolute last choice. Now if there were four of us, it would be ok.

We enjoyed our "open seating" on our 30 night Ryndam in Jan. We never requested a table for 2 and got to meet many nice people that we were cruising with. Obviously, some were more interesting than others. It made for a much more interesting dinner. Sometimes, we would come into the dining room area the same time as others we had dined with in the past, and would go in as a group of 4 rather than 2, and be seated at a larger table, or maybe just the 4 of us.

As they say, Variety is the spice of life! :D :D

I sailed in a group of 7 on the Westerdam in March. One night we were seated and there was a solo traveler joining us. She was lovely and I thoroughly enjoyed her company. We chatted through the meal and though some of my companions were hesitant at first, by the end of the meal our dinner companion joined the group for an evening at the Piano Bar.

One night we were seated and there was a solo traveler joining us. She was lovely and I thoroughly enjoyed her company. We chatted through the meal and though some of my companions were hesitant at first, by the end of the meal our dinner companion joined the group for an evening at the Piano Bar.

How lovely for all!

One morning I had gone to the Lido alone as hubbie was feeling a bit "green" as we were going throught the Gulf of Alaska, and a couple asked to join me. (I think they thought I was a solo-traveler). We had a lovely breakfast. It turns out they were from the town where I grew up. Small world. And we had a great conversation and meal together. I did not mind eating alone- but it was so much better having met them.

Archived