Questions for StanandJim

TravelingProf

Hi guys. My partner/wife and I are booked on the Regatta in January and I have a few questions. We are 48 and 50.

We have just returned from an Italy cruise on Azamara and met some great people through the FOD gatherings. Does Oceania provide FOD gatherings? Is the ship (and passengers) LGBT-friendly (Azamara was very friendly and accommodating)? Will there be a significant amount of other "family" members aboard?

We reserved a cabana for our cruise. Does the cabana provide enough shade if one so desires?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best,

Annie

I am only responding because I know Stan and Jim are currently on the Nautica and may not be able to for a while. Yes, Oceania will provide FOD gatherings. Just ask the CD to put time and place in the newspaper.

As for cabanas I have never rented one but have seen them and they appear to provide plenty of shade.

Annie,

We had a cabana on our Panama Canal cruise on the Regatta in 2008 and there was plenty of shade. When my wife wanted some sun, she would go to one of the loungers behind the cabana. Since you've reserved a cabana for your cruise, I suggest that you or your TA contact Oceania and request one of the end cabanas. They are more spacious than the six middle cabanas and give you a view to the side as well as forward. Oceania won't guarantee you'll get an end cabana but a request for one can't hurt. Here are some pictures I took of our cabana as we cruised through the Panama Canal. (http://travel.webshots.com/album/570873199EdSFih?vhost=travel)

Enjoy your cruise and your cabana.

Dave

Thanks for the pics Dave...we have requested an end cabana for our Panama cruise on Regatta next Feb....any other hints for shore excursions, or did you do a review from your cruise last year?

I didn't write a review after our cruise. Four of the ports on our cruise were the same as ports you'll visit. We didn't take any Oceania excursions. Instead we hooked up with another couple and, for the most part, arranged tours on the pier.

In Cabo, we got a driver on the pier and went to Todos Santos which is an interesting small town and artist colony. We had a nice visit including the best margarita I've ever had at Tequila's Sunrise Bar & Grill, opposite the Hotel California. We also explored Cabo a little after returning from Todos Santos.

In Alcapulco, we hired a driver on the pier and visited Palma Sola which is an ancient petroglyph site in the hills above Alcapulco. I enjoyed Palma Sola very much but be prepared for walking and climbing on semi-improved trails and stairs.

Puntarenas was our least favorite stop. We hired a driver and toured the countryside. It wasn't a bad tour, just not as interesting as the others. Our driver did take us to a beautiful hotel restaurant high in the hills above the coast. If I cruised to Puntarenas again, I think I would do the Tarcoles River Jungle Cruise.

Finally, in Cartagena, a member of our roll call arranged an independent tour through Lee Miles. (http://www.destinationcartagena.com/privatetours.) There were eight of us and I believe the tour cost about $60 each. Our tour was similar to example C on Lee's web site. Although not included in the tour, they took us to a very good restaurant called Las Olas for lunch.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise.

Dave

thanks for the ideas and comments about your Panama transit. I have started a roll call for the 2010 Oceania cruise thru the canal, and hopefully more will join and we can get some tours arranged. Did you happen to find out if any whales were in the Cabo when you were there? Did you go and see the divers at Acapulco?

Sorry folks for going off thread again..I just dont see a lot of ppl. posting that have been thru the Panama Canal and we are quite interested in finding shore excursions.

thanks for the ideas and comments about your Panama transit. I have started a roll call for the 2010 Oceania cruise thru the canal, and hopefully more will join and we can get some tours arranged. Did you happen to find out if any whales were in the Cabo when you were there? Did you go and see the divers at Acapulco?

Sorry folks for going off thread again..I just dont see a lot of ppl. posting that have been thru the Panama Canal and we are quite interested in finding shore excursions.

We didn't go to see the divers in Acapulco. Some people on our cruise did see the divers and enjoyed it but it seemed a little too touristy for me. We had done whale watching in Alaska the previous September so I didn't check but whale watching season in Cabo is from December to March so I'm sure there will be whales around when you're in Cabo. Hope this helps.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I see some folks have requested a specific cabana. I was told (TA) there are no cabana ressies until one boards and makes that request. we have reserved a cabana for the entire trip, still no ability to res. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks.

I see some folks have requested a specific cabana. I was told (TA) there are no cabana ressies until one boards and makes that request. we have reserved a cabana for the entire trip, still no ability to res. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks.

I think that your understanding is not correct, but hopefully StanandJim will respond with their/his firsthand knowledge.

You can reserve a cabana for the whole trip ahead of time ...I do not think you can reserve a specific cabana...you can ask but no guarantee you will get it.

If you want a cabana for just a few days you have to reserve once onboard.

Lyn

hello! will you be on the jan or feb panama crossing? we are on Jan 14. also looking for ideas.

We are doing the 10 day Caribbean (round trip Miami) in January. We paid $500.00 for the Cabana for the week. I put in a request for an end cabana--I guess we will find out in January if they accept it.

Archived