Am I the only one...

You're not the only one, I have the same problem. I can't stand them. I don't like them slapping the back of my heals every time I walk. I need supportive the kind of sandals with the strap on the back to help hold them on since I have foot problems. There are various people that have told me that they're not good for one's feet.

It depends on the brand and the style. The part that goes in between

your toes? IF there is virtually nothing there then your toes are

gripping very hard and that is probably why you are having difficulty

keeping them on your feet.

If you find a well made pair with more material that comes further

down on the instep you shouldn't have a problem keeping them

on~it just varies on how they are made.

Some I can wear without any problems, other times I can't.

It depends on the actual sandal.

As for backstraps? I love a good walking sandal with a backstrap.

Living in Florida, I have lots of different styles..thongs and others:)

I've never had flip flops that I could wear but last year I picked up a pair of Clarks 'Thunder Perf' and I loved them. This winter I found them on clearance and bought 3 more pairs, lol. They have an extra strap across the top of the foot, plus the sole is fitted and has some support plus a bit of traction. :)

I think it really depends on your foot (arch, width, etc...) and the type of flip-flop. I can't wear most because I have a high arch and most have no arch so they end up being uncomfortable after a short period of time. They also end up being more awkward to walk in. That means that Old Navy is

My flip flops that I love with an arch and/or slight heel and straps that hug my foot, I don't have any trouble walking in because my foot is held in the shoe more and I don't focus as much on how I'm walking because my feet don't hurt.

I think that it helps just to try on a lot of different kinds and try walking in them. You never know exactly what brand or type of flip-flop will be the one for you.

I've bought cheap and "nice" flip-flops...never walked out of them unless they are wet--and they can get slippery then.

When you buy a shoe of any kind, you really need to walk a bit in them--and walk at the speed you usually walk! Most folks will "amble" halfway down the shoe aisle slowly---and that's NOT how you normally walk! I "speed walk" when trying on shoes...that way, I know if they are going to work and not rub anywhere, or slip off my foot....

You aren't alone, I never wear flip flops because I can't stand the "flip-flop". I always buy sandals that have some kind of back strap so they will stay on my feet.

I have trouble, too. Some years ago I had to have physiotherapy on my feet because they were hurting. We realized that it was my shoes - well, flip flops - because it was explained to me that my feet were working hard to keep them on. Your feet will actually "contort" in unnatural positions to keep the flip flops on your feet. Your toes curl and your feet twist... altogether, not a good thing, nor is it very comfortable. :(

I am going to treat myself to a couple pairs of new summer sandals, maybe with jewels or something pretty, but they need to have a back strap for comfort.

I have trouble, too. Some years ago I had to have physiotherapy on my feet because they were hurting. We realized that it was my shoes - well, flip flops - because it was explained to me that my feet were working hard to keep them on. Your feet will actually "contort" in unnatural positions to keep the flip flops on your feet. Your toes curl and your feet twist... altogether, not a good thing, nor is it very comfortable. :(

I am going to treat myself to a couple pairs of new summer sandals, maybe with jewels or something pretty, but they need to have a back strap for comfort.

I find that with a pair of Cole Hahn that I have (Sadly) they seem to work themselves of my feet.

If you have a narrow foot, that may be part of the problem. If the straps don't hug your foot, they will not be comfortable. I have the same issue. Maryland Square has thong style sandals in narrow widths. I can't buy those kinds of shoes locally.

Gosh . . . I never realized that folks had problems walking in flip-flops.

Maybe your foot is malformed. Have you consulted a doctor?

You can always try silicone implants in your toes to make them a little bigger and shaplier so that they can hang on to the thong.

My husband and son both have flip flop problems. It seem that the gap between their big toe and the toe next to it is wider than average and the flip flop just won't stay on properly. My son walks and they just fly off or the shoot forward a bit and they fold over and he trips on them. Now we buy "slides" for the guys and problem solved. Good Luck!:)

My foot is also more on the narrow side and I have not been able to wear "thongs" without walking out of them. One sandal I thought I would not care for worked like a charm, however. Try slip on sandals that have a "toe ring", for lack of better name, that your big toes slips into. Most will feel very comfortable and not rub on your big toe. Also look for sandals that have a strap that lays higher up on your foot. These two features may help keep the shoe on your foot more securely. Many more CUTE styles are now being sold with this type of design. Good luck! A gal can NEVER have too many shoes or sandals! Just keep trying them on.

Archived