Has anyone EVER had "Rum Runners" detected?

MomofBoyz

Ok just finished Cruise on Legend- our supply arrived in checked luggage absolutely no problem. Did roll in ziploc and put in shoes-no problems.

However, our sailaway and first day at sea somehow evaporated our supply. :p So first port in Caymen bought more at Tortuga by tender and went upstairs to right (look up to right of store) and nice place to overlook, have a beet and "funnel activity". Anyhow one rumrunner went thru undetected in carryon. One went ok in my pockets (pulled shirt over -female) but male pockets seemed to be the target at that port and every port after were asked "Sir..we need to check your pockets" ok..what is in pocket "applejuice its ok, smile to security" he shakes head and lets it pass.

So I would skip the pockets on swimsuits and cargo shorts.

I have never seen a reason to use them. Bottles work just fine. Last cruise did not check any luggage, carryon only. Get to the room, unpack, set the bottles on the table, steward sees them and keeps the ice coming, the bar is open. Life is good!

Bottles do work great for getting through security, but weigh too much if you're close to that 50 pound limit and have to fly. That's why we never use them.

Bottles do work great for getting through security, but weigh too much if you're close to that 50 pound limit and have to fly. That's why we never use them.

I am lucky that way. I live half way between NOLA and Mobile. No flying or hotel bills. I know for a fact that my bottle was seen in my carry on bags by security in Mobile at check in. The only comment from secuity was to bring him back a good cigar, with a wink.:cool:

Does anybody put the rum runners in ziploc bags to make sure they don't explode or rip? I would be scared to use them without putting them in something. Does that tip off the cruise line when they are sitting in a ziploc bag?

thanks for your help

dawn

I would recommend ziploc bags. We didn't have a problem with the 3 or 4 we used last year on our cruise. We let friends we were cruising with use 1 that we weren't using. I'm not sure if they possibly tightened the lid too much or what, but it ended up leaking. It leaked onto a brand new red shirt that was sitting on top of white shorts. You can only imagine what they looked like. The wife was NOT happy! Luckily $4.50 paid to Carnival & they were able to get the shorts clean. As I said we had no problems with ours, but that just made me a little leary of them.

Rumrunners are great and the service ordering them is superb. I recommend you do a dry... er... wet run. As per the instructions you get with the order, fill the flasks with warm water and then let them sit a while.

I did have one which had a crease and a slow leak. It was replaced promptly. Better to discover this before your cruise! Also suggest you pack inside a ziplock.

On NCL, who are sort of fascist in their alcohol policy, I was determined to bring on alcohol in a creative way. I knew they x-rayed the bags and looked for alcohol-like shapes, and box wine was one of the things they look for.

So, I bought a 2.5 liter box wine, and carefully removed the bladder from the box, and collapsed the box into the bottom of the suitcase, along with a glue stick.

Then, I took a large quilted pillowcase cover and put the bladder in there, and folded it over and attached with safety pins until it looked like a small pillow, and felt like one too. Without the box, that bladder takes the shape of whatever you put it in.

It went through like a charm, and in the room I re-assembled and glued the box and bladder and put it in the fridge. Had cold wine the whole cruise!

I don't think you would need to go to those lengths on Carnival but on NCL it may be a good idea.

Yes, I mean in checked luggage...never in carry ons! I guess I'll give them a try. Worst case scenario, we lose our booze and have to buy. We'll have to buy our beer anyway as I can't think of a decent way to get those on board and the prices aren't too bad.

I have figured out how to get beer on board. Since they allow you to bring soda on board, open the end (flaps) of a 12 pack of soda and remove all the soda. Place four cans of beer in the box, then four cans of soda (area seen through the handle of the box), then place four more cans of beer and reseal the box with glue.

I have used rum runners on several cruises without any problem. The smaller ones I vacuum seal with my food saver and stick in shoes. I also take several bottles of Diet Dr. Pepper which I vacuum seal. I put those near the top of my suitcase. The rum runners I "dress" in undershirts and place with other underwear and things easily rinsed out in jumbo zip lock bags. I pack almost everything in jumbo zip lock bags anyway so they can be moved in "units" if I need something during our pre-cruise hotel stay.

I figure if I get called to the naughty room that they will see my sealed, unopened Dr. Pepper and leave it at that. This worked for a friend of mine on NCL when they called her down because she had a bottle of bloody mary mix. They asked her if it was alcohol and she told them it wasn't. They didn't dig any deeper to find the vodka in a Sprite bottle.

Even if they catch the rum runners and confiscate them, I've saved enough money over the years to more than pay for them. One successful smuggling cruise will pay for them.

Before I got them and going on NCL, I removed the "bladder" from a box wine, wrapped it in bubble wrap, wrapped a disposable diaper around that, put it in a zip lock bag, flattened it out and put it in a sturdy gift box that in no way resembled "box wine." Then I wrapped that in foil wrapping paper, tied a ribbon around it, put a Happy Birthday card on it, and put it in my luggage. I had more than one person come up to me and ask where I got that "full" glass of wine. NCL sells you 1/3 of a glass--they think white needs a lot of breathing room I guess--and ask me if I had some to sell. Husband had said if I didn't drink it all, he was feeding it to the fishes. I told him if I had any left, I could put out the word I had some for a buck a glass and pay for the wine with a profit (lol). I didn't have any left, surprise.

Tucker in Texas

PS. While I loved the pictures of the bars, I don't leave mine out in plain view in case a honcho housekeeper decides to check on how the steward is doing and sees it. While the steward will ignore it, housekeeper might not and then the booze goes and the steward is in trouble.

Tucker in Texas

• 7 months later...
I have never seen a reason to use them. Bottles work just fine. Last cruise did not check any luggage, carryon only. Get to the room, unpack, set the bottles on the table, steward sees them and keeps the ice coming, the bar is open. Life is good!

Honestly, what in the hell is your career? I want in!!

• 8 months later...

Is everyone too lazy to google? I've seen links and explanations every 2 posts on this thread as to what a rum runner is, hello??? Like the topic??? Read It!!!! You just may find an answer.:cool:

Thanks for all of the good info people. Happy Cruising. :D

Archived