soft-sided cooler on wheels

We have a soft-sided cooler on wheels that looks like a piece of luggage. It measures 14x14x12. I know Carnival has a rule about coolers being no larger than 12x12x12. We want to use this to bring in some soda and a few bottles of water but will also have some personal belongings packed in it also (will add the ice to the sodas after we get to our cabin). Would this make it through security for carry-on onto the ship? We would like to carry (wheel) it on as apposed to checking it with the porter just due to the possibility of the cans exploding. Will this truely not fit through xray. I have seen larger carry ons then this.....?!?!?!?!?!?

846473.gif

The issue is not whether or not it fits through the xray, but that Carnival no longer allows coolers larger than 12x12x12. And yes, there have been reports of people having to ditch coolers similar in size to yours at security. If you try it, be sure you have something to transfer the belonging to and be sure you are willing to leave it behind.

From what someone told me (and it may be wrong, lord knows that's happened a time or 2! :eek:), it's not the size of the cooler so much as it is the lining that makes it difficult to x-ray. Yes, I've seen a few having to be left behind. I used to use one, but now have the fold up kind in the checked bag (already out of the pantry and in the pile to pack next week!!!!! :D)

We have a soft-sided cooler on wheels that looks like a piece of luggage. It measures 14x14x12. I know Carnival has a rule about coolers being no larger than 12x12x12. We want to use this to bring in some soda and a few bottles of water but will also have some personal belongings packed in it also (will add the ice to the sodas after we get to our cabin). Would this make it through security for carry-on onto the ship? We would like to carry (wheel) it on as apposed to checking it with the porter just due to the possibility of the cans exploding. Will this truely not fit through xray. I have seen larger carry ons then this.....?!?!?!?!?!?

846473.gif

It won't make it passed security. While it will fit through the scanner, it exceeds the size for a cooler which you already know.

They don't make exceptions just because you've thrown a few things in there and called it a suitcase.

We have that same cooler, took it on the Glory in May but it was packed. Needed it to take several bottles of Austi and some OJ to the very front of deck 11 for sailing into St Thomas Mimosas! What a morning. It would not have made it through the scanner,wouldnt fit, but our steward kept it full of ice and our alternative beverages of choice kept quite nicely

Port Canaveral seems to be worst about confiscating coolers, take it at your own risk or buy one that is collasible and folds into a suitcase.

Port Canaveral IS THE WORST PORT !!Try this instead, fits right inside your luggage bag!

No , not your carry on bag :rolleyes:468.jpg

846473.gif

That size cooler is the reason Carnival finally had to limit it. Seems like passangers looked like they were going on picnic's. Then when they got on the ship, dragged the dang thing to the pool.

Give it up and check it or buy your beverages in ports.

Port Canaveral IS THE WORST PORT !!Try this instead, fits right inside your luggage bag!

No , not your carry on bag :rolleyes:468.jpg

We took a cooler similar to this (Wal-Mart) and loaded it and took it with us on the Lido deck and also with us the clubs - worked great!:D:D

846473.gif

Cooler.. schmoolers.. All these people say there are limits.. mine is easily that big.. gone thru port canerval and Mobile(this year)..was loaded with drinks..alcohol and others. Put my room tag on it..there it was when I got there..iced and all. Load it up and bring it. Mine was checked. Also has the shiny metallic liner..no prob with xray or them taking anything out of it.:D

We took a cooler similar to this (Wal-Mart) and loaded it and took it with us on the Lido deck and also with us the clubs - worked great!:D:D

I seriously question that :D.

But it works great for storing diet drinks .

We took a collapsible cooler similiar to original poster with diet soda in it and about 20 t-shirts on our last cruise on the Ecstasy out of Galveston. Carnival confiscated it before it even got on board. When we tried to find out where our shirts and drinks were (when the cooler wasn't delivered to our room) - we were presented with a shopping bag filled with the shirts, but the soda and cooler were long gone - with the people telling us at the front desk - basically "so sorry".... We were not happy! We just wish someone at the port could have told us before we turned it over to Carnival that it wouldn't be coming back. We were told initially that the cooler would be waiting for us when we got back in port. NOT!!!! After wasting quite a bit of time - and going through about 5 agents - one of them finally said that it was destroyed. We didn't believe them for a minute. It probably went home with one of the agents at the port! It was a nice piece of luggage! Still makes us frown when we remember that incident.

I would not chance it. I took a smaller one that is one wheels like yours and they would not let me board with it either, although when I got back to Long Beach, they returned it to me the morning I was getting off the ship. If I had thought about it, I would have taken the cooler off the wheels and put it in my luggage. I know years ago, they allowed them and people were smuggling in all kinds of stuff in them. My coolers size was a 16X16X16, so it was not that much bigger, but they still said "NO". That is why I say don't chance it.

It is ashame when people want to break the rules all the time because these places get tired of it and then they take it out on everyone else who abides by the rules.

Could someone post what is acceptable to bring on please? 12x12x12 seems really small. Could you just bring the drinks in a bag and take them to the room would that be acceptable?

That is easy

12 x 12 x 12 is what is acceptable. Carnival knows it is small and doesn't want any larger coolers on board.

You are free to bring drinks on board in any other type of container, but not in a cooler.

So if I colapsed it down and put it in a piece of luggage and pack our sodas in the luggage also and check it with the porters will they still open our piece of luggage and remove it from inside even if the piece of luggage is locked? On a side note, what is the best way to pack soda and water without having them get punctured?

So if I colapsed it down and put it in a piece of luggage and pack our sodas in the luggage also and check it with the porters will they still open our piece of luggage and remove it from inside even if the piece of luggage is locked? On a side note, what is the best way to pack soda and water without having them get punctured?

Our collapsible, rolling cooler looks like a similar size to yours.

We pack some shoes and odd shaped items into it and check it as regular luggage.

We then pack our sodas and alcohol into the middle of our other luggage, inside ziploc bags, in case of any leakage. (4 cruises so far and no damage to any drinks.) ((knocks on wood with two cruise in the next few months))

We always use zipties to secure our luggage instead of locks.

Have never had our bags opened before arriving at the cabin.

As soon as the cooler arrives, we just remove the shoes and items, call our cabin steward and ask him to fill it with ice and keep it filled all week.

Worked perfectly 4 times so far.

Too many posters in here vastly overthink their "smuggling" of drinks.

Bill

We packed all our beverages--2 cases of water, 2 12 packs of "soda" (1/2 pepsi one, 1/2 Dales Pale Ale--plus a collapse canvas cooler from Sams ($9) and a few soft things to keep the stuff from sifting around, in a large gear bag with solid bottom and wheels and checked it. Heavy as all getout but we secured the gear bag to the balcony with a bungy and kept all the drinks in it until we needed to refill the cooler. Put the cooler in the shower stall. Asked the steward to "feed the fishies" with ice every other day. Cooler didn't leak but it was out of the way, as we used the spa showers. Plus the steward only had to refresh ice every other day as it just didn't melt that fast. And then the gear bag served as the extra bag for all the trinkets and dirty clothes when we left.

I seriously question that :D.

But it works great for storing diet drinks .

I do so swear that we did; we had it loaded and used it every day on the Lido deck, twice in Henri's Disco and several times in Degas Lounge during Karaoke and comedy show on the Conquest 05/16/2009. We had it right next to us; we didn't ask anyone, just did it and nobody seemed to have a problem with it....:D

Archived