Barcelona Favorite Restaurants

We liked taller de tapas ---good and inexpensive food, and really friendly and unpretentious service. BUT, I do not know if that is what you had in mind, or if you are looking for something more upscale. I'm sure your concierge would be able to give you some recommendations. Seems there are some good seafood places in the Barceloneta area, but the restaurants were a little pricier so we chose not to partake.

my fav restaurant is a small little place , there is always a line... the food is great

La Rita (off Passeig La Gracia, near Casa Batlo / between Passeig de Gracia and Pau Claris)

279 C/ Aragón 08007 or Carrer d'Arago 279,

Barcelona 08007, Spain

Phone: +34 93 487 23 76

Lunch: 1 PM - 3:45 PM

Dinner 8:30 PM -11:30 PM

We ate at Les Quinze Nits in Placa Reial which is one block east of La Rambla (Metro stop is Liceu). We ordered a bottle of water, a pitcher a sangria, a double serving of Paella, and two desserts for only $32 euro, and the food was delicious. The line could be very long if you get there later than 8:30. They start serving dinner 8 so be there around that time. We were there a bit pasted 8, were able to be seated outside where we had a great view of the square which is always very interesting to observe all the performers, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago the concierge recommended Taller de Tapas and we found it very good. Reasonable ( not cheap) prices, good service, fun atmosphere and good food. Get the window seats if possible, fun to watch the crowds go by. We have been back each year that we have started or ended a cruise in Barcelona.

It is on the edge of the Gothic district near the Cathedral @ Pl. Saint Josep Oriol,9 (PL.del Pi).

we plan to go again in October.

Which end of Las Ramblas? We are looking for a good Tapas Bar...we are staying at the Rivoli Ramblas (1 night pre-cruise) in August....what price range is it?

It is not at the Columbus statue end, but at the plaza end, and another couple blocks past. We ate outside on a beautiful day, and it was wonderful. The price depends on which tapas you choose, but it was not expensive.

Do they eat meat other than pork?

Yes. While pork/ham/sausage were included in many of their dishes, there were certainly other foods to choose from! Plenty of seafood dishes to choose from (all fresh since Barcelona is on the Mediterranean), along with some chicken dishes. Other meats such as beef, veal, and lamb were also available at most restaurants, although in a smaller selection of tapas and/or entrees. I didn't pay particular note to vegetarian dishes since I will eat just about anything :rolleyes: but many restaurants offered tortilla espanol, which is an egg & potato dish and was typically quite tasty. I'm sure there were other non-meat choices as well. Not sure about vegan offerings - and a note to vegetarians/vegans: many many salads in Spain came topped with tuna so a green salad may not always be a safe choice. Ask before you order!

BTW I should also mention that we will be there on a Monday (next Monday, to be exact). Looking in the Fodors book tonight, it seems like many restaurants are closed on Mondays and also several are closed starting in mid-July. I assume that worst case we can eat our way through the Boqueria, which we are staying very close to (and which I see IS open on Monday).

BTW I should also mention that we will be there on a Monday (next Monday, to be exact). Looking in the Fodors book tonight, it seems like many restaurants are closed on Mondays and also several are closed starting in mid-July. I assume that worst case we can eat our way through the Boqueria, which we are staying very close to (and which I see IS open on Monday).

You will find plenty of restaurants catering to tourists that are open on Mondays, so don't worry about going hungry! Though these restaurants may not be the most authentic Spanish experiences, the food will probably still be good plus you can assure yourself you'll get an English menu and probably an English-speaking waiter.

I highly recommend doing a picnic-style lunch at La Boqueria - get some breads, fruits, cheeses, wine, etc. from the different vendors and use it as a way to explore the market and feed yourself (for cheap!) at the same time. Keep in mind the Boqueria does die down in the evening, so planning on this for lunch instead of dinner is a better idea.

We eat chicken. 3 eat beef. A couple of us will eat normal fish (fin fish like tuna, salmon). Actually, all 4 of us will eat fresh tuna. I assume it is fresh there and not canned.

You would have plenty of choices then at Cuidad Condal, as they have many vegetarian and also other meat choices besides pork.

It is not at the Columbus statue end, but at the plaza end, and another couple blocks past. We ate outside on a beautiful day, and it was wonderful. The price depends on which tapas you choose, but it was not expensive.

We have eaten there several times on trips to Barcelona. It is very good.

It is actually on a street called rambla de catalunya, which runs the same way as the Ramblas .If you are standing with your back to the Columbus monument, it is about one street to to the left,off of the Gran Via , which is a main road that runs perpendicular to the Ramblas at teh "top". If you look for the NH Calderon Hotel, it is a couple of doors down, on teh same side of the street.

We have eaten there several times on trips to Barcelona. It is very good.

It is actually on a street called rambla de catalunya, which runs the same way as the Ramblas .If you are standing with your back to the Columbus monument, it is about one street to to the left,off of the Gran Via , which is a main road that runs perpendicular to the Ramblas at teh "top". If you look for the NH Calderon Hotel, it is a couple of doors down, on teh same side of the street.

Can I assume you are all discussing Cuidad Condal here? The context got lost a few messages ago.

Peteymil, this does look like a good choice since we are staying on Ramblas right near the Boqueria. I printed out the information and we will try eating there. I'd be happier if I could see their menu online but hopefully there will be plenty that we can eat.

In Spain, apart from tourist areas, tapas are not served in restaurants, they are served in bars.

You would do better to look for boards outside restaurants which say ‘Menú del dia’ (Menu of the day). All restaurants, by law, must offer this at lunchtime. It will be a fixed price meal and consists of 3 or 4 courses with a selection of 2-3 dishes at each course.

The cost of these meals varies depending whether you are in a main tourist area or a little bit more off the beaten track. You should be able to get quite a good meal for €10-15 a head (often including a beer or glass of wine).

This is what the Spanish eat and this is what you should go for if you want a real Spanish meal.

Don’t forget that lunchtime in Spanish restaurants is from about 2pm to 4pm.

• 2 weeks later...

So we ended up having dinner at Cuidad Condal. They had plenty of vegetarian dishes so we were fine, and the food was very good. Amusingly, they forgot to bring us the potato dish we had ordered so I brought it to the attention of the waiter and asked him to take it off the check (we were already full and had the check). He then noticed that he had forgotten to charge us for a more expensive eggplant dish which we had taken the leftovers from. So I ended up having to pay an extra euro. That will teach me to just shut up and pay the bill!

So we ended up having dinner at Cuidad Condal. They had plenty of vegetarian dishes so we were fine, and the food was very good. Amusingly, they forgot to bring us the potato dish we had ordered so I brought it to the attention of the waiter and asked him to take it off the check (we were already full and had the check). He then noticed that he had forgotten to charge us for a more expensive eggplant dish which we had taken the leftovers from. So I ended up having to pay an extra euro. That will teach me to just shut up and pay the bill!

I'm glad you liked it!!

Archived