Self-service check-in kiosks: What's your take?

What do you think about self-service cruise check-in kiosks (choose all that apply)?  

510 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about self-service cruise check-in kiosks (choose all that apply)?

• I think it is a great idea -- it will speed up the process.
    • I like it; if you want something done right, do it yourself.
    • I'm on the fence; what if I have a question to ask someone?
    • I'll opt for regular check-in -- I'm not very tech savvy!
    • Whatever happened to good old-fashioned one-on-one service?
    • I tried it at Port Everglades and liked it.
    • I tried it at Port Everglades and disliked it.
    • None of the above
    • Something else (which I'll post)

I think it's a great idea and I will use it as long as there is a special SET of kiosk's for Platinum/VIP passengers. Since nothing was said about the actual boarding process, I assume that will not change and Platinum will continue to board prior to general embarkation.

The Cruiseship Industry is morphing into the same self service/no service business model of the American Airline Industry! This is not going to be a

good product for the traditional cruise customer. The cruiselines will die when it becomes all self-service. That will kill the raison d'etre for cruising.

If there was both ways to check in --- go for it.

If I see the self serve is empty or I see someone who knows how to work it, I will get in line for it. But, just like everyone else has said, most people can't figure them out!

I refuse to use the ones at the grocery store. Usually something doesn't scan right and you have to have help anyway.

While I have used some of the self-check-outs at Walmart and Albertsons, I hate them at the airport. I believe I've paid that airline to provide me a ticket and service. Check-in is included when they accept my business and take my money. But that hasn't stopped them from doing it. Until people don't travel or not use the kiosk, it won't change.

I feel the same about cruiselines. I'm paying them a good sum of money to provide me a cruise and service goes along with that. I would not be interested in doing a self-service kiosk and wouldn't do it as long as they offer an alternative.

I hate the self-serve checkouts at the store because there is always something that won't scan properly, or something needs the clerk to override, or the computer keeps telling me to put the item in the bag when it is already IN the bag.

I imagine the self-service check-in kiosks will have similar problems and will also need frequent clerk support because the passport didn't scan or someone wants to switch room assignments or the credit card didn't scan or the hold wasn't approved or the dining assignment put you at two different tables or ....

This COULD be a great idea, especially at Port Everglades - my last cruise left from there, and boarding was an absolute madhouse, the worst I've ever experienced since.... the last time I left from Pt Everglades.

BUT there are going to have to be a lot of these machines around to meet the demand, and if there aren't enough, passenger reaction will be as bad as if there were none. We don't care how it happens, we just want to get on the ship, and right now, thank you.

I'd definitely try it out. I always pre-register online and use a credit card for onboard, so why not?

That is a good idea. Maybe they will pick up on that and use it.:p

The passport stamp should be easy enough. Equador has what looks like a computer-generated text, not the rubber stamp common elsewhere. (And I think Japan issues you a sticker, which would be easy enough as well. Swipe your passport, then insert the document (it would scan the page to see whether or not there's enough space) and presto! - passport stamp.

I have cruised more times that I would like to admit and I think that the Kiosk idea is just a way for the cruise lines to cut back AGAIN! Where is the personal attention. Most of the cruise lines are now e-ticketing and now this! When will it stop? I love to cruise and believe in them completely, but when you get the first timers.......they should get the first class treatment that they deserve.

I am not in favor of the kiosks.

I think it's a great Idea, not only will this innovation speed-up the process for us "tech savvy", but it will also make the lines shorter for those that wish to continue to use the "traditional" check-in process (WIN-WIN!!!).

Jim

My question is, what if you got a passport a couple of years ago do they have a scan code on it where you can scan it at the kiosk. If not then the traditional way of standing in line to talk to some one will apply. If you can scan and go then that would make it a great win win scenario for everybody.

I love the Kiosk at the airports, I can be checked in and thru security and getting something to eat before some of the people ahead of me even gets to the check in desk.

How does this process work, where on carnival website do you go to register for this kiosk check in. If filling out the funpass documentation online is the registration then I am ready for the kiosk, but if not then where do you go to register?

I for one enjoy being greeted at the desk with a smile and hear "Welcome back Mr. xxx." I also enjoy the one-on-one service those agents are able to provide if I should have any concerns or questions.

Oh for the cruises of yesteryear.

I guess I'm getting old now:o, but when I check into a hotel or cruise ship I do enjoy the personal service. No, I don't like long lines but I never experianced a long line embarking on a ship (max time 15 minutes). So why is everyone in a rush and why do you really think this will speed up the process (the ship is still leaving at the scheduled time):confused:

And last, what about security? Will this mean nobuddy is going to check passport fraud??? I'm not too good about that one (maybe a machine can match a photo to a human face???).

Give me a smile and a welcome over a computer any day:D

John

My question is, what if you got a passport a couple of years ago do they have a scan code on it where you can scan it at the kiosk. If not then the traditional way of standing in line to talk to some one will apply. If you can scan and go then that would make it a great win win scenario for everybody.

I love the Kiosk at the airports, I can be checked in and thru security and getting something to eat before some of the people ahead of me even gets to the check in desk.

How does this process work, where on carnival website do you go to register for this kiosk check in. If filling out the funpass documentation online is the registration then I am ready for the kiosk, but if not then where do you go to register?

I have a passport from 2002, but I remember my passport from 1986. One the data page - the inside front cover for non-RFID books, I think it's the second page for those with the chips - there's a bunch of machine-readable characters which the computer can read. When I checked in at an airport and used my passport as ID, I did the same thing, swipe the page.

As for being greeted as, "Welcome back, Mr. XX," nope. I have an hard to pronounce last name - so DCL introduced me as "Welcome home, XX Family - and guest." :D

I really don't see how this will result in any significant time savings - if you are already 'checked in online' and all this thing does is scan your passport and send you over to see a human being anyway who has to actually got get your packet and your key card - I just think it's a bit pointless.

It's not like at the airport where things such as choosing seats, entering frequent flyer info, and actually getting everything you need enable you bypass seeing a front counter person altogether (thereby saving labour costs for the airline as well).

The time it takes for a human to scan your passport and get your keycard versus go to machine, machine scans passport, then you go see the representative to get your keycard - I just don't see the point? :confused:

It would be nice for the users that want to use it to have a choice to use it. It will speed things up.

Speedsters who just want to get on the boat can use the kiosk others can wait in the line for service. I don't care that they say "Hello Mrs. X" I hate to wait in line. I am just not sure how folks who have not gotten technically savvy yet are surviving. In just one day these are the times you use a "swipe of the card". Gas fillup (remember when you drove in and the car was filled, glass cleaned, sometimes vaccumed, oil checked and change delivered to the car?:)), bank atm, cup of coffee at gas station, grabbed some donuts at metro station, metro ticket, metro gate. All this and I haven't even gotten to work yet -- swipe to enter building!

No use to resist the change but it has been my experience that once they start with "swipe of the card" other choices are eliminated.

Will it realy be a time saver? You wil have to go through the Kisok line and then to another line to get your stateroom key. I don't imagine that there will be one agent per kiosk.

We have many times been at the airport and the line at the kisok has been as long as anyother line. All it takes is one or two individuals who can not figure out what is going on to back the line up even longer. Heaven forbid if there is a computer clitch at the kiosks and everyone has to go through regular check in. And perhaps even more frustrating is to finally get to the kisok and get the dreaded message to see the agent at the desk.

• 4 weeks later...

We think it's a great idea for the kiosk. We will use it if it is up and running at the Port of Miami in November. Some of you who don't think it's a great idea will need to get use to it. If you don't know how to read and use a computer, then you need to go back to school. This is the 21st century and computers are the thing. We like the self check in service at the airports and hotels. It is quicker and it is so easy. Must be a bunch of stupid people in this world. Yes, checking out at Walmart can be a pain if the idiot in front of you doesn't know how to check out. Most of people in front of us checking out at self serve don't speak english and can't read kindergarten level. Also, for the remark about the embarkation photos. We like having our photos taken before getting onto the ship. That's part of start to your vacation memories. You are a jerk and I am glad you aren't on our cruise.

Archived