Cruise director-what is rci thinking

OK, everyone always talks about their favorite CD.............but no one mentions the not so good CD's.

I have been on the Monarch several times and I can't figure out how Jimmy Rhoades got that position. He is the "invisible" CD. Passengers from each of the cruises that I have been on have all commented that he is never seen. He does not even introduce all evening shows. Never has showed his face in the Quest, nor attend any pool side activities.

Where is he all day and what does he do we all asked each other. The only time we saw him at a show was the 70's show.

We had Jimmy on the Majesty last summer and wondered the same thing. We never saw him and only heard him make a few announcements. He is really not a good rep for RCI and should be replaced in our opinion. The only other one that came close to him was some guy named Dennis a few years back who was subbing for the regular CD. James Andrews was very good and most others have been ok as well. The CD does not make the cruise but a poor one rubs off on the entertainment staff and does make a difference - not in a good way.

Speaking of CD's does anyone know who the CD is on the Serenade? Would like to learn more about him/her.:)
It was Mike Szwajkowsli (sp?) and he was wonderful! Not sure if he's off the ship now or not. I think he said he was getting ready for his 10 week break and not returning to the Serenade.

It's funny you mentioned the whole CD hiring and training process. I just got back from the Enchantment and greatly enjoyed the CD, Rico. I have always been interested in working on board a few years after college and thought my personality was similar to Rico's. I then looked up the qualifications for applying to be a CD, and I had to wonder how ANYONE was able to become one. The qualifications were crazy and I'm sure RCI is missing out due to all the restrictions and experience just to start on a CD's staff. While I realized the purpose of some comments they had on the website, others seemed like only a person with a very specific resume could become a CD. If I find that link again I'll post it.

What are all the restrictions and experience you speak of?

Richard Spacey was the CD on VOS, our first cruise. I think that spoiled us for all future cruises. Casey on the Sovereign was a delight, we spent some time talking with him personally and just loved him. We sailed with Rico twice, neither time was I overly impressed. The others were so unimpressive, that I have forgotten who they were!!

OK, everyone always talks about their favorite CD.............but no one mentions the not so good CD's.

I have been on the Monarch several times and I can't figure out how Jimmy Rhoades got that position. He is the "invisible" CD. Passengers from each of the cruises that I have been on have all commented that he is never seen. He does not even introduce all evening shows. Never has showed his face in the Quest, nor attend any pool side activities.

Where is he all day and what does he do we all asked each other. The only time we saw him at a show was the 70's show.

Well, not everyone talks about a "favorite" CD. In over 30 years of cruising, I can only recall the name of one......and only because he was the most irritating person I'd ever encountered in such a position.

The only way I know who it is on a cruise is by reading it in the daily newsletter....and then it's usually forgotten.

Simply, I don't care who it is. If he's doing his job well, fine. If not, it has no impact on me personally.

What are all the restrictions and experience you speak of?

I apologize for my post earlier! I accidentally was reading under the corporate job opportunities and got it confused with the cruise director page I had up at the same time. That's why I was so shocked with some of the requirements! Lol. The cruise director position does require very specific experience, but I guess they don't want people applying that just want to "give it a shot."

Once you've been on a cruise with Richard Spacey or James Andrews there is no going back.....:D

I never paid attention to any of the CD's until I was on the Freedom of the seas with Richard Spacey and all I can say is buckle your seat belt and get ready to blast off. He was amazing, manic, hysterical I would have to say in all our years of cruising he actually made our cruise experience so much more, on the flip side we were just on the NOS in Novemeber the CD on that cruise was lame.

It was Mike Szwajkowsli (sp?) and he was wonderful! Not sure if he's off the ship now or not. I think he said he was getting ready for his 10 week break and not returning to the Serenade.

Yes, Mike was due to go home to the other side of Canada from Serenade's AK homeport this past Saturday. I forget where he said he would be next but was due to join Voyager when it arrives back in Galveston later in the year.

As with every thing CDs, Give us all different opinions! Dave C. was terrible on the RD 14 day Alaska cruise... very juvenile and afraid of a little work! Kerion B. we loved and was everywhere plus his SHOW in the Schooner bar was terrific! I hope he is on the NAV for the TA in Nov. 09!

Well' date=' not everyone talks about a "favorite" CD. In over 30 years of cruising, I can only recall the name of one......and only because he was the most irritating person I'd ever encountered in such a position.

The only way I know who it is on a cruise is by reading it in the daily newsletter....and then it's usually forgotten.

Simply, I don't care who it is. If he's doing his job well, fine. If not, it has no impact on me personally.[/quote']

You're one up on me! I can't remember ANY of them in 36 years of cruising!!

I apologize for my post earlier! I accidentally was reading under the corporate job opportunities and got it confused with the cruise director page I had up at the same time. That's why I was so shocked with some of the requirements! Lol. The cruise director position does require very specific experience, but I guess they don't want people applying that just want to "give it a shot."

Oh okay. I was going to say. I didnt think there were too many qualifications to join the CD staff ;)

Ken Rush annoys the heck out of me but I must say this: I've never seen a better entertainment staff (and better run activities) on any other ship than I have on my two cruises with Ken Rush. So much fun. Basically even though he personally irritates me, I won't begrudge him the fact that he's a very good administrator / head of the entertainment department.

How nice to see a fair and balanced post. Of course many Cds are fake, they can't really like eveyone on every sailing, but is is nice that you acknowledge his proffesional abilities.

We really love Allan Brooks and of course the wonderful Clo O'Connor, although Keiran Buffrey does not do it for me, especially when he is teamed up with Cuddy

well each to their own, personally I love Cuddy and thought he and Kieron were a great team.

think they are now both on the Brilliance.

Does anyone remember the CD from Enchantment back in like 2002-2003. He was English I believe and was always doing Austin Powers impersonations, he was pretty funny.

You are thinking of Matt Baker, the best Cruise Director in all of our cruise's.

People who go to or participate in the passenger activities, such as The Quest, L & M, Liars Club, Trivia games, Name that tune, pool games, etc. are more likely to notice who is running the event and how good they are at it.

Especially, running The Quest in Studio B is difficult because of the physical limitations of the few cutouts to the rink and the steep stairs and crowded aisles. But Brooks, Andrews and Chapman did great jobs.

On our Brilliance Med. cruise, Bill Brunkhorst was every bit the suave host, which was what was needed on that trip. More European and elegant.

We just love love love Dave Chapman!!!! loved him as bingo boy dave and when we had him taking the helm for Alan Brooks while he was vacationing....wow awesome!!! Now we had James Andrews on the Liberty in March and he was fantastic!!! Probably the best CD.(we love you Dave!)

We had Jimmy on the Majesty last summer and wondered the same thing. We never saw him and only heard him make a few announcements. He is really not a good rep for RCI and should be replaced in our opinion. The only other one that came close to him was some guy named Dennis a few years back who was subbing for the regular CD. James Andrews was very good and most others have been ok as well. The CD does not make the cruise but a poor one rubs off on the entertainment staff and does make a difference - not in a good way.

I absolutely agree about Jimmy. We were on Monarch last weekend and only saw him at the Welcome Aboard show. I never even heard him make one announcement. He was invisible. I also agree that the CD sets the tone for his staff and therefore for the cruise. If the CD is apathetic then so is his staff and it shows.

As with every thing CDs, Give us all different opinions! Dave C. was terrible on the RD 14 day Alaska cruise... very juvenile and afraid of a little work! Kerion B. we loved and was everywhere plus his SHOW in the Schooner bar was terrific! I hope he is on the NAV for the TA in Nov. 09!

We had Keiron last week and he was so funny so was entertainer Irky from Turkey he was fantastic.

We just got off the adventure last month-and CD Chris Northy was the bomb! He was at most if not all of the activides:D Very personable as i ran into him at the Gym one morning-the entire staff,rachel ,cece at our meet and mingle -they all were great-as a first time cruiser they really exceeded what i was expecting

Archived