Why only one "Splendor Class" ship?

Ya' know, Linda... What really impressed me was the Mediterranean flare of the ship, especially the midships Lido Deck. It reminded me so much of Rome!! I simply didn't want to leave...

:)

I agree about the not leaving part. Then again, I feel that way sort of at any rate on EVERY cruise as well.

You left out the Vista deck. One does wonder what the effect of another whole passenger deck will have on the open spaces on sea days.

I am concerned about this as well. The outside promenade is 8 foot glass, and if you look at photos, drawings, and videos of the Dream it almost looks like there isn't a great deal of open space or places w/o high glass. I hope I am wrong.

One point in this discussion that's been missed was that the Splendor was built as a stop gap measure.

Carnival originally had plans to build a mega ship much like the RCCL Oasis of the Seas.

i didn't address that - you're right, and i'm glad you interjected. i kinda missed that period of cc history - any relevant links unto what was going on at that time? i'm curious :)

I love the ship and would be thrilled to see at least one more enter the fleet but that's just not in the cards...

personally, i'd just think we're not quite at a junction to judge whether or not we'll see another splendor. of course they have dream and magic in the works (with dream not far out at all), but i'd think carnival won't just produce dream class vessels for the rest of forever.

and the destiny / (triumph - nod to jessemon :rolleyes:) / conquest and splendor class are so similar.

i'd think that if carnival ordered another less than dream sized ship, they'd probably default to the splendor class - more contemporary than conquest class, and readily able to be built.

i would be inclined to think we'll see another splendor class ship. it's at least logical from a business standpoint that it could happen.

even if they have another 'non stopgap' ship design up their sleeves that is not dream class, history has set a precedent for ordering 'smaller' ships - such as additional fantasy class vessels after destiny debuted.

Actually, they USED to. I have some old brochures that list the two newer ships as Destiny class, but there were differences.

BTW, the Holiday was also different in some areas to the Jubilee and Celebration. The latter two were identical to each other.

that's what i thought, thanks for the corroboration ;)

and i still see it in thing other than the front line consumer advertising...

dream, triumph, victory... they're largely the same ship.

and in that comparison, i actually prefer destiny - less pax than either of the two latter ships :D

What a good "Sunday Morning Coffee thread"....

i'm glad i could provide your sunday morning entertainment ;)

I love it when Falkcor gets going :D

i just hope you mean that in a GOOD way. i think ya do :cool:

You left out the Vista deck. One does wonder what the effect of another whole passenger deck will have on the open spaces on sea days.

you're right. and honestly, i did mention that and the larger number of passengers in one of the 'points'...

until at very early in the am when i think the cc server was doing its maintenance thing, it ate my very long post :(

i had to re-type in full, and that's what you saw above. i left that one out. but yeah. more pax on board, no doubt. we'll see how that goes when the first reviews filter back. :)

[/color][/font]

i didn't address that - you're right, and i'm glad you interjected. i kinda missed that period of cc history - any relevant links unto what was going on at that time? i'm curious :)

personally, i'd just think we're not quite at a junction to judge whether or not we'll see another splendor. of course they have dream and magic in the works (with dream not far out at all), but i'd think carnival won't just produce dream class vessels for the rest of forever.

and the destiny / (triumph - nod to jessemon :rolleyes:) / conquest and splendor class are so similar.

i'd think that if carnival ordered another less than dream sized ship, they'd probably default to the splendor class - more contemporary than conquest class, and readily able to be built.

i would be inclined to think we'll see another splendor class ship. it's at least logical from a business standpoint that it could happen.

even if they have another 'non stopgap' ship design up their sleeves that is not dream class, history has set a precedent for ordering 'smaller' ships - such as additional fantasy class vessels after destiny debuted.

Nope... we're far more likely to see another ship of the Spirit type than the Conquest/Splendor type.

There's been a call for the more intimate atmosphere of the Spirit class vessels. We'll likely see a third in the Dream series before anything else...

Nope... we're far more likely to see another ship of the Spirit type than the Conquest/Splendor type.

There's been a call for the more intimate atmosphere of the Spirit class vessels. We'll likely see a third in the Dream series before anything else...

i can't say i'm surprised that we'd see a spirit sized ship in the future. i wouldn't be surprised if there was a new spirit sized class developed - what are your thoughts about that?

the spirit design is unique among carnival - but they've got that covered.

i could see a few updates in a new ship that size.

i think it's very likely we'd see a third dream class first, also...

but, i would still think - that if they produced more dream class (largest) and a few spirit / modified-spirit (smallest of modern ships) - that if they wanted for that middle ground, they'd default to splendor class, not conquest. that's all i was sayin' :rolleyes:

also wanted to add... (but i know you're quick to reply so don't want to edit) - that a smaller spirit type ship would suit the current business model of carnival...

that is, position ships close to home, easy to drive to, all that.

it's a lot easier to put a spirit type ship in ports like norfolk, va, the carolinas, bayonne, nj, or even mobile, nola, seattle, the lesser fla ports, etc. - and fill it up every week - than a larger ship like splendor, dream, etc.

i wouldn't be surprised at all to see this in the future, but it would also dictate a re-positioning from the mass of miami and other big fla ports.

dream, triumph, victory... they're largely the same ship.

and in that comparison, i actually prefer destiny - less pax than either of the two latter ships :D

btw - that part in red. that was supposed to be 'destiny, triumph, victory' - not dream, d'oh. :rolleyes:

This was one of my big drawbacks when thinking of booking the Dream. This adds 750 pax or there about to a ship that isn't much larger deck wise. Then I noticed there is the Panarama deck which looks mostly enclosed with seating and then now on top of that is Spa deck which now extends from stem to stern with no break in between. Again more seating that will be in the sun on this deck. Also the two deck Serenity areas are set-up to hold (approx) 200 pax.

So all in all this problem might be solved.

I also love the idea of the Lido deck aft now being open instead of enclosed.....

We shall see how this all works out Dec 3rd....;):cool:

This was one of my big drawbacks when thinking of booking the Dream. This adds 750 pax or there about to a ship that isn't much larger deck wise. Then I noticed there is the Panarama deck which looks mostly enclosed with seating and then now on top of that is Spa deck which now extends from stem to stern with no break in between. Again more seating that will be in the sun on this deck. Also the two deck Serenity areas are set-up to hold (approx) 200 pax.

So all in all this problem might be solved.

I also love the idea of the Lido deck aft now being open instead of enclosed.....

We shall see how this all works out Dec 3rd....;):cool:

Oh yes.....By the way there is now a "bar" in the Serenity area....:D

[/color][/font]

I think Mach was talking about the often rumored Carnival Pinnacle project that apparently has found its way to development hell, right along with "Ghostbusters 3".

There was a video that circulated around here awhile ago that was leaked from Fincantieri that showed what some believed was the concept. It was huge, possibly bigger than Oasis. It had a mono-rail running around the exterior of the ship, a huge mountain in the middle of the lido deck, all kinds of weird stuff. Some say that it was not the Pinnacle, just a Fincantieri marketing promo, but we'll never know for sure.

Back to the OP:

My thoughts are that bringing the Splendor to Carnival was more a revenue decision. I think she was tailor made just for the west coast because she has that huge spa area. I remember reading somewhere that west coast cruisers are more likely to use the spa (and sushi bar) than their east coast counterparts. I dont know how accurate that is, but it would seem to make sense given that she was dispatched to CA. as a brand new ship.

They could have just as easily built her as a sixth Conquest class sister. But I'm guessing someone at Carnival said "Hey, we've got this Costa ship with that huge spa, why not make her a Carnival boat and give her to the groovy, hip west coasters? We could make trillions!" That guy is probably a Vice President by now.

I think Mach was talking about the often rumored Carnival Pinnacle project that apparently has found its way to development hell, right along with "Ghostbusters 3".

There was a video that circulated around here awhile ago that was leaked from Fincantieri that showed what some believed was the concept. It was huge, possibly bigger than Oasis. It had a mono-rail running around the exterior of the ship, a huge mountain in the middle of the lido deck, all kinds of weird stuff. Some say that it was not the Pinnacle, just a Fincantieri marketing promo, but we'll never know for sure.

actually, i know all about the pinnacle project...

1.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

i was asking mach for any relevant or informative threads about the period in time at which such plans were cancelled, and splendor was added as a 'stop gap'.

you don't hear much about whatever happened as per why costa didn't take delivery of their ordered ship, or why it ended up with ccl.

that was the nature of my inquiry :)

Actually, Carnival Corp. does have space reserved at Fincantieri for four more ships, but no orders yet. Speculation is that two might be for Costa and Aida, but perhaps CCL might get more ships. Also, last week they played musical CEO's among the Carnival brands...One person was listed as also being in charge of 'Carnival Australia'. Whether this just gathers together the activities of Princess, P&O, HAL downunder beneath one umbrella or suggests a Carnival brand presence in OZ in the future, noone is saying. EM

Nope... we're far more likely to see another ship of the Spirit type than the Conquest/Splendor type. :)

From your lips to God's ears (or Carnival's CEO)!

My only fear is we are going to loose our Spirit class ships to the "home ports"

For me, its a no brainer with Legend/Valor and Miracle/Freedom doing the same itenerarys, spirit class always wins!

Very interesting thread. Like many, my favorite ship class is the Spirit class. I would not be unhappy at all to have Carnival go back to making that size of ship. Always thought that because it was a different shipbuilder, it would make it harder to do so (as well as to continue to fight the "bigger is better war). Like the points on versatility of where a smaller class of ship can go (Panamax and port wise) as well as easier to fill the ship with passengers as well.

actually, i know all about the pinnacle project...

i was asking mach for any relevant or informative threads about the period in time at which such plans were cancelled, and splendor was added as a 'stop gap'.

you don't hear much about whatever happened as per why costa didn't take delivery of their ordered ship, or why it ended up with ccl.

that was the nature of my inquiry :)

Theres that weird behemoth! You can definitely see some of the design schemes that made their way into dream, albeit greatly reduced in scale.

Back to the OP:

My thoughts are that bringing the Splendor to Carnival was more a revenue decision. I think she was tailor made just for the west coast because she has that huge spa area. I remember reading somewhere that west coast cruisers are more likely to use the spa (and sushi bar) than their east coast counterparts. I dont know how accurate that is, but it would seem to make sense given that she was dispatched to CA. as a brand new ship.

They could have just as easily built her as a sixth Conquest class sister. But I'm guessing someone at Carnival said "Hey, we've got this Costa ship with that huge spa, why not make her a Carnival boat and give her to the groovy, hip west coasters? We could make trillions!" That guy is probably a Vice President by now.

I'm hoping they do another one or use the Splendor on the Alaskan itin....the open aft hot tubs would be a fantastic place to enjoy the passing scenery. Plus the dome over the mid deck pool area would come in real handy.

:D

Theres that weird behemoth! You can definitely see some of the design schemes that made their way into dream, albeit greatly reduced in scale.

yeah definitely. especially the cantilevered promenade area and the curvey lines.

to bad the lazy river didn't make the cut ;)

Archived