Leaving books on the ship

Norcal Cruiser

We always take some and swap for others left in the library. Ever since librarians are no longer employed on board to keep tabs on books, ship libraries have been lacking sufficient reading material for all the guests on board.

I've left books I have brought along to read and have finished. I leave them in the library, not my cabin, and I'm thinking more of fellow passengers, not the crew. It seems the crew doesn't have a lot of free time to read, and English is not likely to be their first language. So I figure the library is the best place to leave books.

I register my books at Bookcrossing.com, which assigns them a number. I write the number on a note inside the book, or affix a sticker, and leave the book in a port or in the ship's library with a note that says, "I'm free! Look inside!" Once home or on the ship's Internet, I make an entry where and when I released the book. A savvy person who finds it is supposed to make an entry that they "caught the book" and it can then travel the world. The site's motto is "Read and Release" and it's interesting to see where a book has been or where it will go.

I bring MANY books with me on the cruise, and 1 or 2 for DH. The last time we flew to a cruise port (San Francisco) I premailed a box of books to our precruise hotel to save on our luggage weight.

I release them to the library as we go along, and when I take the next batch to the library - the last batch has already been caught. Sometimes I am able to catch a new one, BUT, I do release more than I catch.

I did that Book Crossing thing - and got caught up in the whole Sept 11 thing, and was afraid security guards would swoop in :eek: and blow the building, for a paperback left on a seat in the airport waiting room.

i bring many books with me on the cruise, and 1 or 2 for dh. The last time we flew to a cruise port (san francisco) i premailed a box of books to our precruise hotel to save on our luggage weight.

I release them to the library as we go along, and when i take the next batch to the library - the last batch has already been caught. Sometimes i am able to catch a new one, but, i do release more than i catch.

I did that book crossing thing - and got caught up in the whole sept 11 thing, and was afraid security guards would swoop in :eek: And blow the building, for a paperback left on a seat in the airport waiting room.

lol :)

We have historically left my books (DH collects the books he reads, sigh) in the stateroom as we did not know the specific policy of leaving items in the library and figured the cabin stewards would know what to do with them. If the consensus is that the library is OK and saves the steward effort, then we will do that in the future.

It's been our practice to leave books at the Pursers Office because each line/ship can have different policies.

I'm not keen on going to the trouble of leaving books only to have the staff toss them in the trash, so I just want to be sure they go to good use and not to the landfill.

I have suggested to the good folks at the Pursers Office that they might want to post a sign in the library suggesting where to leave donated books similar to what is done on HAL ships. While the return of a librarian would be a good move, it's unlikely to happen but the next best thing is an honor system which is supported by Celebrity.

I've heard that the library has been closed during recent cruises on the Celebrity Millennium because of norovirus precautions (and perhaps on other ships, too, for the same reason). So I wonder whether, if one were to leave books at the library or with the Purser, etc., they would be tossed by the ship's crew for fear of contamination? Or maybe they would just be Lysol'ed? marilano

I give all my books to my cabin attendant. On solstice he was reading at night before bed. Many read English. They can not use the library. i would never leave my i n the libray as we can get all the books we; my books get read all thru crew quarters. They need books more than we do. i feel the person who says English is thjeir second laungage is unfair. these are hte propel who want to read english.

I always leave them on my bed with a note to please take the book. they do..

I always leave my book(s) behind when I finish reading them. I sign the inside cover with "Happy Sailing"

Date of Cruise

Ann from Texas

If you ever grab a book and see this you will know its from me!

Ann

Godley TX

Archived