chef's table for mother's 70th birthday & football question

cowboy girl

Hello! I am cruising with my mother on the Island Princess in December to celebrate her 70th birthday. I was trying to think of something special to do for her then read about the Chef's table. I know this is something she would LOVE. Can anyone tell me the best method of securing two spots for this event? Is the cost $75 per person?

On a completely different subject - As you may gather from my name I am a Dallas Cowboys fan. Does anyone know if the ship will carry US football games on any TV's? It's just not a Sunday for me without football!

Many thanks!

Call the dining line as soon as you get on board, and get put on the list for the Chef's Table. If you have a balcony, you could arrange for the ultimate balcony dinner (UBD) on the night of her birthday. Sabatini's is also a very nice experience--but not as interesting/unique/special as the Chef's Table or UBD.

Make sure that you enter the day that you want to celebrate her birthday on the cruise personalizer. They will put balloons on your door, give you a card for a b-day cake in the dining room (hand it to the maitre' d when you are seated) and sing happy birthday when they bring the cake.

Looks like you ar doing a full transit of the canal. Great trip. Make sure that you read "The Path Between the Seas" before you go. If you are spending an extra day in Acapulco, your mom might enjoy dinner at La Perla. It is the restaurant at La Quebrada/cliff divers. Not the greatest food, but it is a real blast from the past. Harkens back to a time when Acapulco was a playground for Hollywood movie stars. Did it last year after we disembarked our Island Princess canal cruise in Acapulco. If you have a nice leisurely dinner for 2 hours, you can see 3 of the cliff divers shows--they do them every hour. I would recommend getting there around dusk; getting one show during the day, one as the sun sets, and one at night.

Don't count on much in the way of US TV sports. Updates maybe on the news channel. I feel your need, I to suffer with football blues when I don't have immediate access, but have no doubt you will have plenty to see and do that will ease the separation anxiety from football. Enjoy the cruise and DVR the games you will likely miss.

RE: FOOTBALL

They did have an occaisioal game or two showing when we sailed the last two Januarys, but these were often only shown in the sports bar and it is very small. The showing of games is based on satelite reception so there is no guarantee. Bottom line if you are going to be heart broken about missing a game, I would recommend TiVo/DVR.

Thank you to those who replied regarding both questions. I guess I will have to suffer without my Boys for a Sunday. I live in the Caribbean so Tivo is not an option here. We don't even get all the football games. One reason I am trying to move back to "civilization"!

Regarding the Chef's Table - I presume there are more requests than places available. Anyone know how they select the lucky few? First come/first serve? I've also read something about interviews? Thanks!

Princess ships usually pick up the satellite broadcast of ESPN International. This channel does show US football but you may only get one game and it may or may not be "live". We have watched Sunday football, the Monday night game, and the Super Bowl on cabin TV while sailing on Princess. However, satellite reception is never guaranteed. :)

I concur on the football, you will get whatever games ESPN international picks up. The Island Princess really didn't have a sports bar like snookers that the bigger ships do. And I have seen football played on MUTS, which the Island Princess doesn't have yet either.

Last week on the Island Princess, I couldn't get through on the dine line on embarkation day for Chefs Table. At the entrance to the Horizon Court, the food & beverage manager was there signing people up for Sabatinis. I talked to her and she took down my info and told me to talk to the Maitre D. We did at 5pm down in the dining room and he said it was no problem and took our info down again.

It was a wonderful experience and would be a great gift for your mothers birthday.

Thank you to those who replied regarding both questions. I guess I will have to suffer without my Boys for a Sunday. I live in the Caribbean so Tivo is not an option here. We don't even get all the football games. One reason I am trying to move back to "civilization"!

Regarding the Chef's Table - I presume there are more requests than places available. Anyone know how they select the lucky few? First come/first serve? I've also read something about interviews? Thanks!

It is first-come, first-served. Sometimes they'll do more than one in a sailing if they have tons of requests. As georoc01 said, it's hard to get through on the DINE line on embarkation day -- your best bet is to find the maitre d' at his office hours or see whoever is taking speciality restaurant reservations that first day, and ask them to put your names on the list. Good luck -- it's $75 per person and SOOOOO wonderful!

And don't worry about missing the Cowboys games -- they're probably gonna lose 'em all anyway.

Signed,

rsqrl, diehard Redskins fan

quote=rdsqrl

And don't worry about missing the Cowboys games -- they're probably gonna lose 'em all anyway.

Signed,

Don't know about that now that TO is gone and Jessica is toast, they actually might start acting like a football team. ( If Jerry would only stay off the field!)

Signed MEK, diehard Dolphins fan and married to a diehard Cowboys fan.

When you make the reservation, as soon as you board, tell them about Mom's birthday. That should help.

About football, they always seem to have the Steeler games on the MUTS screen. Sorry. Just had to add that. :)

quote=rdsqrl

Signed,

Don't know about that now that TO is gone and Jessica is toast, they actually might start acting like a football team. ( If Jerry would only stay off the field!)

Needless to say, we Skins fans were devastated by that break-up!!

Needless to say, we Skins fans were devastated by that break-up!!

Believe me, most Cowboy fans were too:) Good riddance!

Thanks to all who responded regarding the games. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what (if anything) is playing.

Thanks also to those who replied regarding the Chef's table. I will do my best to get us seated there!

My wife and i are on Grand Princess and are booked on the Chef's Table. It was advertised in the PP for several days. We are looking forward to a fantastic evening.

I also note that the new captain, Edward Perrin, and I both live in the same small Dorset town, but I haven't been able to speak with him yet.

There's no lottery or any particular way they choose. Of course some people do get in based on some special connection. It's just human nature. Biggest piece of advice is to put in yyour request as soon as you board the ship.

Bob

My wife and i are on Grand Princess and are booked on the Chef's Table. It was advertised in the PP for several days. We are looking forward to a fantastic evening.

I also note that the new captain, Edward Perrin, and I both live in the same small Dorset town, but I haven't been able to speak with him yet.

Tim;

You will definetely enjoy it. Best single cruise experience out there (IMHO). One big piece of advice. Go hungry.........Eat a light breakfast and maybe a late morning snack. There is a ton of food & drink offered.....

Bob

Tim;

You will definetely enjoy it. Best single cruise experience out there (IMHO). One big piece of advice. Go hungry.........Eat a light breakfast and maybe a late morning snack. There is a ton of food & drink offered.....

Bob

Thanks for the advice, Bob.

I'll report on the experience, when I return home.

I just returned from the Ruby in the Mediterranean, and my husband and I did the Chef's Table. $75pp and well worth it. They do groups of around 10 people, and depending on the lenghth of the cruise will determine how many times it will be offerred. It is a 3 hours dinner/experience. You are met by the head maitre'd and given a white coat to wear. You are all led to the galley and shown how to wash your hands...cleanliness is important on the ship. You then get a brief tour of the galley and now you meet the head executive chef. We met Joel. He greeted us with good champagne (with refills) and the most wonderful hor'dourves. There were trays of these waiting so you could have a second and it wasn't the cheap stuff you see around. We started with sevruga cariar on roasted baby bliss potatoes topped with sour cream, then we were each given a martini glass filled with a shrimp and avacado cocktail in a vinegrette, next was an amazing chilled sliced fois grois on top of a slice and toasted brioche and on top of all this was a home made apple chutney, simply delicious. Finally, they served us an asiago cheese and black truffle tart. This was all before dinner! We were taken out of the kitchen, handed in our coats and led to a special table in the dining room waiting just for us. It was beautifully decorated, words can't describe. The executive chef and his service crew then served us a multi-course meal with different wines for each. The head chef carved table-side and it was a mouth watering dinner. Salad, pasta, intermezzo, entree ( a six hour roasted veal leg and saddle -done two ways- with fresh vegetables and potatoes, all hand carved), a cheese course-not your usual stuff--a slice of camenbert baked and topped with a ruby port reduction and on the side two slices of a fig and date cake; then dessert which was served on a pulled sugar plate. Again, appropriate wines with each course. Then cookies and coffee (esspresso if you want, or cappaccino etc. Each couple also received a signed copy of the cruise lines cookbook, each woman got a rose, and each couple, or individual got a copy of the group photo we took. Amazing!

As far as getting on the list, when you board the ship, call the reservation line, they might tell you that you will have to wait list, do so. They contact you. Good luck and happy eating.

quote=rdsqrl

Signed,

Mek, we'll be joining you on the Crown this Nov. Since my Raiders are playing the Cowboys on Thanksgiving, I'll have to put up with what ever they can find on sattelite.:cool:

Archived