HP Sauce on Princess?

Gypsy-Bear

Is HP sauce anything like the kind of thick consistency "brown sauce", which we have had at a local Irish pub? I think it's made by Heinz, but have not seen it marketed here. We really like that, on the fish AND the chips.

Is HP sauce anything like the kind of thick consistency "brown sauce", which we have had at a local Irish pub? I think it's made by Heinz, but have not seen it marketed here. We really like that, on the fish AND the chips.

Yes, HP is the most popular "brown sauce" so people often ask for it by brand name.

One other must-have condiment in our house is Branston pickle. I like the sandwich kind with smaller pickle pieces.

Isn't it interesting how many people "must have" certain items in their homes. Our home is very boring; no exotic condiments here. We use only Heinz ketchup and Grey Poupon mustard.

Pia I was thinking the same thing. Hey don't forget the Best Foods Mayo or in the east coast it is hellman's. :D

Marilyn

OK.......cometo CC to learn:

1) Tim Tams----check

2) HP sauce----check

3) Branston pickles----??????

Maybe I should look in our Cost Plus World Market, they have lots of Brit food.

Branston Pickle I think is made by Cross and Blackwell and is a brown pickle similar in looks to a chutney. Also very good with or on a cheese sandwich. We have several British style stores here that import these products, maybe if you check on-line you can find a store like that where you live. pj

HI Shogun,

Ahhh! Heinz salad cream----something I haven 't thought about in years----brings back more memories of my Scottish childhood!!! My Mum sometimes gets it here in Canada and it is sooo very good. I am married into an Italian family so Olive oil and vinegar are all that we use nowadays. HMMMM! I think it is time to seek out a bottle and may pick up some Branstin pickle to have with my cheese too:D Unfortunately my DH has never taken to my British food preferences:(

Pia I was thinking the same thing. Hey don't forget the Best Foods Mayo or in the east coast it is hellman's. :D

Marilyn

Yes, Marilyn. Nothing but Hellman's for my tuna. I do use the Light, though, which my daughter thinks is awful.

One note on HP sauce. Many grocery stores carry HP steak sauce near the A-1 and others. This has a different taste and consistency than the original HP sauce. I get the original in a local Scottish butcher. The CB also had Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce on board. This is also one of my favorites.

Or, like in our store, in the specialty food areas. However, like you said, it has a different consistency/taste. Personally, I don't care for it, but my older brother loves it! So, whenever I visit friends in England, its mandatory that I bring back as many bottles as I can, without exceeding the luggage weight limit, for my brother.

For all we Canucks, a dash of HP in a Caesar makes all the difference to it's great taste. So when we make our Ceasars aboard, we always go to the buffet area and commandeer a bottle of the HP.

They replace it within minutes and what's left over after the cruise, if any, I'm sure the staff can find a good use for.

HP sauce in a Ceasar? Maybe in Ontario...you know the "centre of the universe"

The rest of Canada and the world generally adds a dash of Worcestershire sauce in a Ceasar. HP sauce is reserved for meat courses at dinner.

Ciao for now!!!

In NYC, with so many takeout meals eaten, (much of that is Chinese Food), we get small packets of bright orange "duck sauce", along with soy sauce and hot mustard packets. No actual duck in that (and probably not really "Chinese" either), but mainly sugar and fruit (peach/apricot). It is great on rice, and as a baste/glaze for meats. I put it on much more also. I don't thiink it is available in other countries. I have tons of these packets in my fridge.

HP sauce in a Ceasar? Maybe in Ontario...you know the "centre of the universe"

The rest of Canada and the world generally adds a dash of Worcestershire sauce in a Ceasar. HP sauce is reserved for meat courses at dinner.

Ciao for now!!!

But have you tried it? We too thought it bizzar UNTIL WE TRIED IT !

Archived