Cruising single - paying double port charges

duckie22

They no longer subtract port fees from the fee, they used to. I too have booked a friend who isnt computer savy in a 1A by herself. They subtracted it for our last cruise, but not for our future cruise .... and yes Im positive.

They still subtract the 2nd person's "taxes and fees" but do not subtract out the port charges from the cruise fare when they figure the 150% or 200% like they used to.

I currently have 2 people booked as singles for our 2010 group cruise the are paying $70.00 less than cruisers in the same catagory. All are booked in 8B balcony's.

I am currently booked on a Carnival cruise and recently discovered that because I am cruising single that not only will I be charged 200% on the cruise fare but I am also being charged double the port charges. Has anyone else encountered this? Is it even legal? I thought the port charges went to the individual ports where the ship docked. Can anyone help me explain this?

The times that I have cruised single, I paid double cruise charges, but port charges and taxes for one. I would call back and question this.

Good luck and have a blast sailing single!! :D

Get the cruise line or your TA to give you a breakdown of the fare... it will show the port charges. I think you will find you are only being charged once and not twice for port charges.

Carnival doesnt give you a break down that shows port charges, and they wouldnt.

I think you will find that people ARE paying double port charges. Port charges are included in the cruise fare Carnival shows on their site, and they only add on "taxes and fees" (again these do NOT include port charges). If someone sailing solo pays for 2 cruise fares, 200%, both of which include port charges, then explain to me how it is possible they arent paying double?

Even the 1A category, the solo traveler is paying 1 1/2 port charges, since both the commissionable and noncommionable fare Carnival is now charging 50% of on the 2nd fare.

I really dont get how so many can be so confused on this?? I really dont get it.

The times that I have cruised single, I paid double cruise charges, but port charges and taxes for one. I would call back and question this.

Good luck and have a blast sailing single!! :D

Carnival used to subtract out the port charges from the 2nd fare, but this changed last year.

I also think many people see the add on "taxes and fees" and think port charges are part of the "fees" and dont get it that they are included in the cruise fare.

So, if you booked before last summer in advance you may still have fares for solo cruising where you did not pay any of the port charges, but you will if you book now.

OK, here is one of the latest posts, where someone posted the pricing from their TA which of course confused the pax.

Note there is a line item for noncommisonable and one line for taxes, note how high the noncommissionable line is?? this is the port charges that Carnival doesnt pay commission on, so its subtracted from the cruise fare .... LOOK below

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1037877

I just switched cruises and since I booked ES, I KNOW I had the $50 pp change fee. My cruise fare showing on Carnival (I did book through my TA though) was $2076, plus the $200 change fee (4 people). But I got this confirmation from my TA

CRUISE CHARGES CRUISE RATE$ 1210.00

NON-COMMISSION FARE$ 636.00 (PORT CHARGES)

FEDERAL TAXES/FEES$ 173.19

MISCELLANEOUS CHARGES ADMINISTATION FEES$ 200.00

SUMMARY CHARGES AMOUNT TO COLLECT$ 2276.92

Ahhhhh, here's another one for you all to wrap your brains around, and decide if Carnival is doing the right thing . . . .

A couple planning to travel together purchases a "Future Cruise Vacation" certificate onboard one of the ships offering those. They pay the $100 deposit for the certificate which will be applied toward the purchase of that future cruise. In addition, Carnival offers them a "$100 per stateroom" onboard credit for doing this purchase, based on them selecting a 7-nt sailing. The couple books a 6B cabin, and when their cruise date finally arrives, they begin their vacation with a $100 OBC. Cool!

Now, right behind them in line is a person planning to cruise alone as a single passenger. He purchases the same FCV certificate, and plans to book a 6B cabin. Since that is a higher cabin classification than a 1A, the price for the cabin will be 200%. Passenger fully knows this in advance of booking and agrees that Carnival makes the sole decision on cabin fares. He pays exactly for his cabin fare what the couple did, but is OK with that. This passenger will begin his vacation with only $50 OBC. Despite the credit being stated as "per stateroom" and not "per person", CCL has made the decision that Single occupancy bookings receive half of the onboard credit amount.

In two separate onboard sessions hosted by the Loyalty Team for those purchasing (or planning to purchase) the certificates, the question has been asked why that is the situation. In both sessions, the team members stared blankly at each other and eventually said they'd need to research further. They contacted Corporate, and the eventual answer was, "Just because". Parents can get by with that, and apparently cruise lines can, too.

A call (to the CCL department handling these) with this same question received the same Uhhhh, Wellllll, Ummmmm response, as if they'd never been asked this. They said it would be researched and I'd be called back. It took three days, but they did call back. The answer: "Just because". :(

BTW: both onboard sessions were videotaped, and are rather humorous to watch.

Ahhhhh, here's another one for you all to wrap your brains around, and decide if Carnival is doing the right thing . . . .

A couple planning to travel together purchases a "Future Cruise Vacation" certificate onboard one of the ships offering those. They pay the $100 deposit for the certificate which will be applied toward the purchase of that future cruise. In addition, Carnival offers them a "$100 per stateroom" onboard credit for doing this purchase, based on them selecting a 7-nt sailing. The couple books a 6B cabin, and when their cruise date finally arrives, they begin their vacation with a $100 OBC. Cool!

Now, right behind them in line is a person planning to cruise alone as a single passenger. He purchases the same FCV certificate, and plans to book a 6B cabin. Since that is a higher cabin classification than a 1A, the price for the cabin will be 200%. Passenger fully knows this in advance of booking and agrees that Carnival makes the sole decision on cabin fares. He pays exactly for his cabin fare what the couple did, but is OK with that. This passenger will begin his vacation with only $50 OBC. Despite the credit being stated as "per stateroom" and not "per person", CCL has made the decision that Single occupancy bookings receive half of the onboard credit amount.

In two separate onboard sessions hosted by the Loyalty Team for those purchasing (or planning to purchase) the certificates, the question has been asked why that is the situation. In both sessions, the team members stared blankly at each other and eventually said they'd need to research further. They contacted Corporate, and the eventual answer was, "Just because". Parents can get by with that, and apparently cruise lines can, too.

A call (to the CCL department handling these) with this same question received the same Uhhhh, Wellllll, Ummmmm response, as if they'd never been asked this. They said it would be researched and I'd be called back. It took three days, but they did call back. The answer: "Just because". :(

BTW: both onboard sessions were videotaped, and are rather humorous to watch.

Yes Carnival is doing the right thing! They paid billions of dollars for a fleet of ships so they can make the rules. If you look at their pricing it states all prices are per person " double ocupancy " if you book as a single it is a choice you made. If you think it's unfair don't book it!

Wolfie: I totally agree with you concerning the cabin pricing. Totally!

I clearly mention that in my text, which I'm guess you merely scanned. :rolleyes:

My reference was to the application of the Future Cruise Vacation certificates to single passengers.

Not quite accurate. singles that can be content with a Cat. 1A are usually charged 130-150%, with one charge for taxes and port charges.;)

EXACTLY ! !

I cruise SOLO almost all the time and NEVER pay double port charges. I generally pay between 120-150% of the DO cruise rate. Since I book 3-5 days before the cruise, it has even been LESS.:)

However, I've only found this situation true on Carnival. Would love to do other lines, but they almost all stick to that 200% idea ! ! :(

FWIW, in the past, whenever I had an OBC quoted per cabin, I always received the FULL onboard credit.

From what I understand you can't possibly know how much you paid in port charges - they are rolled into the price of the cruise - I assume if you are sailing single you may be paying only once - but who knows! (I suppose if you have a TA you can ask for this breakdown in cost?)

As for fees/taxes if you look at my previous post - booking a 1A as a double and 1A as a single - both times you pay the SAME PRICE ($77.16) for fess/taxes - NOT PORT CHARGES....- thereby indicating that a single person is paying fees/taxes as if there were 2 in the cabin!

EXACTLY ! !

I cruise SOLO almost all the time and NEVER pay double port charges. I generally pay between 120-150% of the DO cruise rate. Since I book 3-5 days before the cruise, it has even been LESS.:)

However, I've only found this situation true on Carnival. Would love to do other lines, but they almost all stick to that 200% idea ! ! :(

FWIW, in the past, whenever I had an OBC quoted per cabin, I always received the FULL onboard credit.

Since you seem to book last minute, you may be getting a special deal from Carnival... I was just explaining how it usually works and what the noncommionable part of the cruise fare really was.

Our friend also got the full $100 OBC per cabin on her CC booking, she was yippee about that.

Carnival used to subtract out the port charges from the 2nd fare, but this changed last year.

I also think many people see the add on "taxes and fees" and think port charges are part of the "fees" and dont get it that they are included in the cruise fare.

So, if you booked before last summer in advance you may still have fares for solo cruising where you did not pay any of the port charges, but you will if you book now.

Thanks. That's nice to know. Haven't sailed solo in about 2 years, I guess, now that I think about it. :(

EXACTLY ! !

Again - I am wondering how you know you don't pay double port charges? Are the port charges itemized (e.g. cost per port?) - I understand they are usually rolled into the cruise fare itself so you really can't tell how much they are!!!

Since you seem to book last minute, you may be getting a special deal from Carnival... I was just explaining how it usually works and what the noncommionable part of the cruise fare really was.

Our friend also got the full $100 OBC per cabin on her CC booking, she was yippee about that.

Not sure what you mean by "special deal from Carnival". I'll assume you mean when I book directly with Carnival. I never book with Carnival (I don't like "he said-she said").:rolleyes: Always use an online agency with everything done with e-mails in BLACK and WHITE, thus eliminating the "he said-she said" syndrome. These agencies won't hold your hand, don't answer any questions, just quote you a price for a specific cabin or cabin category on a specific ship on a specific date. All done in minutes . . . love it. I get an e-mail confirmation with a booking #, which I take to Carnival's website and fill out my FUN PASS. All done in 20 minutes. All monies pass directly to Carnival. Slicker than snot ! ! :D

Obviously, booking 3-5 days before a cruise is going to produce some great pricing in many cases no matter who I purchase passage from (and to be fair it may also produce a "Sorry, ship is FULL").

Incidentally, I cruised the GLORY when she was practically brand new for $644 SOLO for everything ! ! :Donly BECAUSE I had run up against a FULL SHIP on my first choice.:rolleyes:

Again - I am wondering how you know you don't pay double port charges? Are the port charges itemized (e.g. cost per port?) - I understand they are usually rolled into the cruise fare itself so you really can't tell how much they are!!!

When booking a cruise I sometimes enter all the information, but use TWO passengers in my query. I then get a quote showing the CRUISE FARE + GOVERNMENT AND PORT FEES for both passengers.

Then I change my # of passengers to ONE, I then observe a different base price (sometimes doubled but usually 130-150% of the DO rate) with EXACTLY ONLY ONE SET OF GOVERNMENT AND PORT FEES added to this Solo rate.

I've never seen the port charges itemized for each individual port, but definitely see ONLY ONE SET OF PORT CHARGES added to my Solo cruise rate.

Then I change my # of passengers to ONE, I then observe a different base price (sometimes doubled but usually 130-150% of the DO rate) with EXACTLY ONLY ONE SET OF GOVERNMENT AND PORT FEES added to this Solo rate.

I've never seen the port charges itemized for each individual port, but definitely see ONLY ONE SET OF PORT CHARGES added to my Solo cruise rate.

If you are looking on Carnival, Carnival NEVER adds any port charges, so unless your TA is breaking out the total of port charges, you arent seeing them. You are seeing added "taxes and fees" and these do NOT include port charges.

Carnival never adds port charges to the cruise fare (because port charges are included in the cruise fare). They only add taxes and fees.

With all due respect, I find this hard to believe, firefly. However, to be fair, I haven't cruised for over 2 years, so I can't offer any recent personal experience to the debate of this particular issue.

If you are looking on Carnival, Carnival NEVER adds any port charges, so unless your TA is breaking out the total of port charges, you arent seeing them. You are seeing added "taxes and fees" and these do NOT include port charges.

Carnival never adds port charges to the cruise fare (because port charges are included in the cruise fare). They only add taxes and fees.

I NEVER look on Carnival's site . . . .EVER. :D

(unless you're counting the e-mail ads I receive at least ONCE A FRIGGIN' DAY, announcing the "latest" cruise specials :rolleyes:)

With all due respect, I find this hard to believe, firefly. However, to be fair, I haven't cruised for over 2 years, so I can't offer any recent personal experience to the debate of this particular issue.

Ah ha, and as I said up until a year ago, Carnival used to subtract out the port charges from the 2nd cruise fare, so thats why the rate was less than 150% of the 1A rate.

I also mentioned booking my sister's solo friend before and after the charge in a 1A, thats how I know it chaged. 2 years ago, yes it would have been less than 150%, thats true, we agree.

I even put up a example of how a TA broke out the non-commissionable part of the cruise fare = port charges, so folks could see large a amount it was of the cruise fare.

I agree with Firefly - when booking either solo or double rate - the taxes and fees are the SAME!!! Unless you are getting an itemized statement from your online agency you have no idea how much you are paying for port charges. It would be interesting if next time you book you ask how much of the cruise rate is port charges - for single and double - then you will know for sure!

I agree with Firefly - when booking either solo or double rate - the taxes and fees are the SAME!!! Unless you are getting an itemized statement from your online agency you have no idea how much you are paying for port charges. It would be interesting if next time you book you ask how much of the cruise rate is port charges - for single and double - then you will know for sure!

I'll concede because I haven't cruised recently, I may have an "old" concept of how this is done, but what amazes me is . . .

. . . what difference does it make ?? :confused:

I'm a bottom line person. I'm only concerned what the TOTAL COST is, which incidentally, with the online service I use, a comglomeration of independent agencies competing for my business by quoting me pricing at my request, every member is REQUIRED to INCLUDE in that e-mail quote the TOTAL COST the exact amount for EVERYTHING. They can't add doc fees, port charges, or govt fees, or any incidentals without ADDING it to the TOTAL COST they are quoting me.

If they want to double the port fees and then pull that doubled amount out of my cruise fare some place else . . . fine with me. They're Capitalists and using all kinds of manuevers these days (like offering OBC to get around the lowest rate Carnival allows them to sell cruises at). Suits me. :)

I'll still compare that SOLO cruise rate I get to the price an individual would pay in a DO situation and either come away with an agreeable price or not.:D

Well, all of this banter back and forth is all lovely and fine, but the bottom line for me, whether sailing solo or accompanied, is whether or not I am will to pay the price that is being asked. The rest is just details. :)

I am currently booked on a Carnival cruise and recently discovered that because I am cruising single that not only will I be charged 200% on the cruise fare but I am also being charged double the port charges. Has anyone else encountered this? Is it even legal? I thought the port charges went to the individual ports where the ship docked. Can anyone help me explain this?

I'll concede because I haven't cruised recently, I may have an "old" concept of how this is done, but what amazes me is . . .

. . . what difference does it make ??

Makes no difference at all - but if you look at the OP's question above - he or she is asking why they have to pay double port charges..... And looks like most of us are actually unaware of what we are paying in port charges - be they single or double!

I was also unaware that Carnival merely refunds $20 per port if a port is missed and that is not the actual port charge - but just a token amount given to everyone - one would think if we did not visit a port that the actual port charge for that particular stop should be refunded???

Of course it's the bottom line that counts - but sure would be nice to knock off a few bucks for the single cruiser and not make them pay double port charges, double fees and double taxes...... Maybe more solos would cruise if the price were right? or we could cruise more often? :D

Of course it's the bottom line that counts - but sure would be nice to knock off a few bucks for the single cruiser and not make them pay double port charges, double fees and double taxes...... Maybe more solos would cruise if the price were right? or we could cruise more often? :D

Good news, you dont pay double taxes. :D

The add on taxes and fees, you only pay once if you are sailing solo.

CC has had some dynomite solo fees. My friend signed up for $739 I think it was?? and then got the fuel surcharge knocked off and then $100 OBC for just her. That makes the effective rate $604 I think total, including everything, which to me is pretty good. This was a rate on the Crazies cruise when she booked, and got a large port hole cabin. Seemed like a good deal to me.

CC sponsored official cruises, the charge is a total charge, all included, even the taxes are included. I think solos should check out the CC cruise rates. A few didnt have solo rates Iv heard, but a lot do.

Archived