You Are Not Going To Believe This! Coral Princess Stabbing

cruzinj

I just got back from a great cruise on the Coral (see my review)

while on board, one night there were these wierd

Announcements like "gala deck 4, zone 9", all night. Then someone had to be sent off the ship in an emergency. I just turned on the news, and I see the Coral Princess. One crew member got in a fight with another crew member, and stabbed him! Everyone was chasing this guy below deck during the announcements, but I just found out now!!!

I just got back from a great cruise on the Coral (see my review)

while on board, one night there were these wierd

Announcements like "gala deck 4, zone 9", all night. Then someone had to be sent off the ship in an emergency. I just turned on the news, and I see the Coral Princess. One crew member got in a fight with another crew member, and stabbed him! Everyone was chasing this guy below deck during the announcements, but I just found out now!!!

Holy cow! Any more details? We were on the 10 day Panama Canal cruise just before yours.

Mike

Due to the fact that knives are not allowed in luggage....so all the murderus type knives would be in the kitchen area?

Yes there are so many nationalities on board its a wonder this has not happened before.

Years ago when I was employed in the hospitality industry in the UK...we had European waiters who had come over for a season to work at the hotel to improve their English.......they went around in their own groups and would not socialize with other nationalities...one guy from a certain country,I felt sorry for because no one would speak to him because he was from a certain country.....we UK citizens were like 'The piggy in the middle' and talked to everyone....they all seemed nice to us. I never could understand the problem.

We were on this cruise too and as we were leaving our cabin to debark, we couldn't get an elevator down, so we just decided to ride up and then down. Only person in the up elevator was a Broward County sheriff. He got off on Deck 12 - Aloha. We'd seen flashing lights and a sheriif's car out the dining room window, but we thought a passenger had taken ill.

In the airport, we ran into some fellow cruisers who reported that they'd seen all kinds of emergency vehicles and personnel arrive. They were told it was crew member, but there was no mention of a stabbing.

Sad thing to happen.

Due to the fact that knives are not allowed in luggage....so all the murderus type knives would be in the kitchen area?

Yes there are so many nationalities on board its a wonder this has not happened before.

Knives can be in the luggage - just not in the carry ons. Plus, people drive to the port and can have anything in the luggage. People can buy knives in ports. The crime could have been committed using a pocket knive (many people have these) or possibly a kitchen knive. Lots of possibilities.

This sort of thing happens on land, I guess we are lucky it doesn't happen more on ships.

Ships are floating cities, and like cities ashore, there are all sorts of problems, both civil and criminal.

Princess has a very efficient Security Dept, staffed mainly by Ghurkas, who are well trained in martial arts and law-enforcement.

The ships also have a well designed brig (although the brig on former Sky Princess had to be enlarged when it transferred "down under" as Pacific Sky - it seems it wasn't large enough for the expected business).

Cruise passengers should never be lulled into a false sense of security while aboard ship. Be on guard just as you would in a big city. In the not too distant past, there have been reports of thefts, sexual assaults, and even missing persons on cruises. With 3000 + on board, you can have problem people among crew and passengers. The cruise lines have become much more diligent and alert after some costly law suits, and the incidence of crime has lessened considerably. But never totally relax your awareness. We were on the Coral in November and we did see more security officers than we have on prior cruises.

staffed mainly by Ghurkas, who are well trained in martial arts and law-enforcement.

Wonder what their woman are like?

The first Gorkhaharu were men who fought for the king of Gorkha,

from

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/faq/Ghurkas.htm

Nepal: some background and the mighty Ghurkas

from

http://randompensees.mu.nu/archives/042829.php

I put a small folding pocket knife (blade about 1'') in my checked bag on my last RCI cruise. Wouldn't you know, security found it, held my bag at the Pursers desk, and left me a message to go there. When I got there, security personnel asked me all sorts of questions about it, and why I had it. They released it, and the bag back to me. (I brought it to cut off the zip ties on my suitcase zippers)

I was late for "late seating" dinner that night, because they held the bag and didn't relay the message right away. Everyone in my party had their bags but me.

Security has changed quite a bit, and that's a good thing.

My DH wears a kilt for formal nights, and part of his very involved kilt outfit is a small knife called a sgian dubh (pronounced skain-doo). He had no trouble bringing it on board our sailing on the Diamond last May. No delay of luggage or anything. I also brought on scissors for my knitting which have about a one-inch blade and a very pointy tip. We didn't have to fly, though, so we didn't really think about leaving our sharp objects at home. When we go to the UK next year, I'm going to try to talk DH into leaving the real knife behind and bringing the fake plastic one instead. It would stink if it was confiscated at customs.

I emailed a friend of mine who works for Princess about this to see if he had heard about it and just got an email back from him. I'll cut and paste that part of the email about what he had to say about it (by the way he didn't know about it til I emailed him with the news so thanks for posting this tread).

"THIS IS NOT SURPRISING FOR ME AT ALL LIKE IN EVERY DAY LIFE ON THE CRUISE SHIPS HAPPENED THIS KIND OF THINGS AS WELL ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE UNDER PRESSURE LIKE ON THE SHIP.THINK OF HOW MANY CRIMES HAPPENED IN THE US EVERY DAY NO?..."

the only surprising part is that people are SURPRISED?!

With 3,000 people, ***** happens you know. It happens.

And to the person that felt better about security checking bags, get real.

The galley is full of knives.

Many ports sell souvenier knives.

There are plenty of other items around that can be weapons.

And, for those that feel better flying, the TSA has found LOTS and LOTS of guns, but only after a secondary search. Which then reasons that those without the secondary search also have weapons. Which the TSA has also confirmed via various tests that show it is easy to get guns and knives through the system.

Geez.

Maybe they will have to start checking were every galley knife is...and having to check them in out each time one uses one on the job.....LOL

Talk about 'Murder on the Oriental Express'....or should I be saying .'Murder on Deck Four'.......is there an Agatha Christie on board.?

Was just on December 10 to 20 partial transit of the Panama Canal. Staff was wonderful but I likewise am not surprised that something like this happened. With all these different nationalities working so closely together and, additionally, the caste system which is in play, I'm sure this is not the first time staff members have gotten into some kind of altercation. Long hours and probably in many of the positions not too terrific pay. When we were on the ship one of the staff members told us he was 20 minutes late getting to work and was docked his day off. I'm sure although working on a cruise ship appears quite glamourous looks can be deceiving. I'm sorry it happened and certainly hope that the injured crew member is up on his feet soon.

If it was a galley knife and the galley has unhappy people, it make one wonder if there should be a galley tour. :eek:

I also remember on these boards a few months back that a poster complained his wife was knocked down and somewhat injured by two kitchen workers fist fighting in the buffet area. Probably lots of personnel problems we are not privy to. Some more serious than others. :(

Archived