Where do you get your formals?

KansasScrapper

I have been buying "prom" dresses. But they are the same style, strapless, but different colors. On our last cruise I saw all kinds of dresses. I want one that has a nice back to it or has a strap that goes around your neck. I think they are called "cocktail" dresses. I live in a small town (in Kansas) and the closest town is 3 hours away (Kansas City). I would drive there for a dress. Can anyone help me out? Where do you get your dresses? HELP!!!!

I've purchased dresses from Anne Taylor and some even through Victoria's Secret online.

Group USA and Marshall Field's. I don't know if you have any of these in your area. Also, you can try bridal salons. Bridesmaid dresses are much more stylish than they used to be.

Good luck!

I find that Dillard's end of the season sales (especially the VERY end of the season sales--usually cocktail dresses/formals still have pretty good selections; my mom and I bought several for $12.98 a couple years back!) or Von Maur for weekly mark downs is the way to go. I don't know if you have Von Maur--I think it is an Iowa-based upscale department store. They do third markdowns every Thursday here, so I frequently pop in on Thurs. to see what is on the sale rack. I have gotten several at 75% off that way. Plus they have free alterations and an interest free charge card, with no credit limit! LOVE that store!

Happy cruising!

Kristin

I also like Group USA...But I am always looking everywhere...found a gorgeous gown last week at Ross....the zipper was broken, talked to the manager and got the gown for 16 bucks....replaced the zipper today, took 1-1/2 hour. BEAUTIFUL DRESS!!!

Also, we are have a lot of nice Goodwill stores around here. Been watching those alot too. Have gotten a very very nice glitzy gown for almost nothing and the cost of dry-cleaning.

KansasScrapper -- not sure where you live, but I live in SALINA KS, also about 3 hours from KC! Funny you posted this, because just last night I went to Dillards and purchased 2 formal dresses for our next cruise. I always try to hit the mall around this time of year, as the formals are usually marked waayyy down after the holidays. I got a $150 and $130 dress for $29 each... and they are not the 'prom dress' type.

Again, not sure what stores you have access to, but would definitely try Dillards and JC Penney for after-holiday sales.

Best of luck!

I have had great luck with Ebay, believe it or not. Shop from the comfort of your own home. I just do a search for a designer (ABS, bcbg...etc.) or I search for "Victoria's secret dress". VS carries a bunch of different styles and designers. There are a ton to choose from and are really cheap. I paid $22 for one and $34 for the other. Good luck!

This year we may be doing the short dressy formals since our luggage will be more restricted. I found one for $25 at a store called Debs last Friday and then I got my "bargain" dress over the weekend for $10. It is a aqual sparkly dress. It is a medium and I may have to have a little alterations to make it a small. Maybe or maybe not. I figure we leave the end of May and there won't be many clearances at that time because of prom time.

Nordstrom has some great dresses on sale, here's a link:

http://store.nordstrom.com/category/cat_medium.asp?category=2376788~2377916~2377923~2377926&origin=leftnav

I don't know your budget, they have even more not on sale. Their return policy is great, they provide postage paid return packaging. They do charge a minimal amount for returns, I think $4.95, but that may be a whole lot cheaper than gas for the car. I have purchased a couple of things off of Ebay, but the returns can be more difficult, I just have given that stuff to Goodwill instead.

Have fun shopping

Be careful buying a dress that needs alterations. Unless it is length (sleeves, hem) the alterations can almost double or triple the cost of the dress. If you are assured you can do it yourself, no problem. I can sew and I'm pretty good at it, but taking in a dress that is lined is almost as much work as making the dress to begin with. Can you tell, sewing does not thrill me in the least.

i agree with some of the above posters! i always shop dillards after the season sales. i have picked up some great short and long dress for just pennies on the dollar! BUT, i never miss stopping in at a ROSS. since i travel a lot (by car) if i see a ross or a dillards i just have to stop in and check the sale racks.

you can't go wrong at either one of those stores.

happy shopping and hope you have a great cruise.

sea ya all soon, judy

I purchased 2 gowns on EBAY. Both fit, only one needed the hem shortened. One gown cost $19.00 and that's WITH the shipping! LOL And that's the one I got the most compliments on too.

Also, we purchased an entire suit for my hubby on EBAY. We payed around $20 and that total also included the shipping. The very sad but funny thing that happened to us was that on the night of the first formal, we decided to take a nap before dinner. I had planned to take extra time to get ready since I had been looking forward to getting dressed up for so long. We woke up 15 mins before dinner, I was so mad that we did something so stupid. At that time we realized we forgot my husbands suit pants so he had to go & find the shop on board that rents pants. We rushed around like crazy and got to dinner 15 mins late. I noticed that the jacket buttons had ugly anchors on them that I didn't remember seeing when we purchased the EBAY jacket.

Anyway, a couple of days later after our 2nd formal night was over with my hubby and I were sitting in the lobby just people watching and he asked me if he could tell me something but that I'd have to promise not to get mad. I agreed not to get mad and that's when he told me that the jacket he'd worn to both formal nights was not the EBAY jacket (obviousley we brought the wrong suit jacket too). He discovered it when we were rushing around getting ready on the first formal night when he stuck his hand into the pocket and pulled out a death notice from his Aunts funeral 20 years ago!!!!!!!!!! No wonder I thought those buttons were ugly! I mean who wears anchor buttons!?!?! He told me that he really didn't want to upset me when we were trying to get ready because I was already upset. We sat there and laughed about the mistake we made. We'll never forget it.

Archived