Anyone else anxiously waiting for a cabin number?

debsjc

We were on the Maasdam in June and had a BB guarantee. We were offered a upgrade to a S Deluxe Verandah Suite for 299.00 each but did not take it. We never were assigned a cabin until we checked in at the pier in Montreal. We were upgraded to a B Superior Verandah Suite which was basically what we already had but in a better location than a BB.

Keep up your patience. I've had to find the cabin number at the dock a couple of times. No real chaos, just another step before you can finish filling out your luggage tags. But the last time that happened on Ryndam we got a midship ocean view cabin from an MM inside guaranteed rate. Nice to enjoy for a 10 day cruise to Sea of Cortez!

Now I'm waiting for a cabin on Amsterdam Dec 2. Booked Ocean View guarantee but not expecting much of an upgrade. It'll be great whatever it is because it's hard to have a bad day on a cruise ship!:D

Seems like there is a few of us waiting for cabins on 4/6 Sep sailings then - Good luck to everyone

quack2 - congratulations on your upgrade

tytan - I believe the most usual time is 7-14 days before sailing

First time cruiser, booked a BBVerandah Guarantee. I checked with our TA this week and they called HAL , only to be told they will assign cabins 3-5 days out. :( Bummer, we don't even know what we should be looking for, you all are so " experienced" when it comes to the cabin assignments.

Guess I will check next week for our 9/5 departure...... I hate the waiting too.

CC has been a blessing to me, lots of questions (I would have asked) and tons of great answers! Thanks All

Still nothing for me yet. I hope they assign it before I leave home, which is 4 days before the cruise departs. After that I have no net access, so I won't even be able to check.

Is it bad that I now know my booking reference without even looking it up?!

... only to be told they will assign cabins 3-5 days out. :( Bummer, we don't even know what we should be looking for, you all are so " experienced" when it comes to the cabin assignments.

Guess I will check next week for our 9/5 departure...... I hate the waiting too.

They always say that, but most of the time they come before that. Check your OnLine CheckIn every night around 5:00p your time. What you're looking for is the GUAR to turn into a number! :)

We are booked in an inside cabin and have cabin # for July, 2010 cruise, at the normal inside rate, a J cabin. We would really like a balcony but do not really want to pay $1100 pp to upgrade. Is the guaranteed cabin the same price as other balcony cabins but you have a chance to be moved up to a better cabin or floor, is it, like on Royal C, a lower price for the same category, just that you do not know the room # until the last moment? Hope my question is not too confusing? Thanks.:confused::D

... is it, like on Royal C, a lower price for the same category, just that you do not know the room # until the last moment?
On HAL, guarantees are not cheaper than specific cabins. Usually the peak of the assignments come between 14 and 10 days out.

I booked 4 cabins on the Oct 4th sailing on the Vandaam in cat KK. I looked at the floor plans... and to me it looks like they only have 2 KK cabins on the whole ship... (unless I misread it)

So I'm hoping for upgrades!

I booked 4 cabins on the Oct 4th sailing on the Vandaam in cat KK. I looked at the floor plans... and to me it looks like they only have 2 KK cabins on the whole ship... (unless I misread it)

Maybe I'm missing something but ... I could find abslutely no KK shown in HAL brochure or on website for the Zaandam. There are some 41 category K cabins however.

There is a Veendam, and a Zaandam, but there is no Vandaam. And neither ship has a KK category.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

This is my first guarantee booking and it is driving me crazier than I already am! Actually the suspense is rather fun.

Same with us, we have a SZ guarantee for the Westerdam 10/18 cruise, looking at the other posts, I really shouldn't expect anything yet, but it doesn't stop me from looking lol

We have just got our cabin for the Eurodam 6 Sept sailing. We have been upgarded to a V (V8098) cabin from a VE guarantee. Pretty happy with this. Any one familiar with this cabin?

Looking at the deck plan, it looks like you are under the Lido restaurant rather than the the Lido pool - which should make it quieter.

I would be worried about being under the Lido pool, due to reports of them moving sunbeds around early in the morning.

Don't be discouraged if you haven't yet gotten your cabin number. We didn't receive it till we arrived within the ship. We arrived at the cruise terminal outside the ship and when we attempted to check in, they told us they didn't have the room number and that we needed to get it from the reception desk on board the ship. We were beginning to panic that they would give us a below standard room even though we were guaranteed a veranda room. We finally got the room number from the reception desk and our socks were knocked off when we saw the room that they had assigned us. They upgraded us to a luxury suite with a large balcony, separate dressing room, bar, additional amenities, etc. I can't guarantee that you will have the same experience but I hope this takes some of the anxiety away. We recently did the Canadian/New England cruise and loved it.

I think that HAL, in the interest of trying bring in funds to the greatest extent possible, is playing upgrades close to the wire. We sail on 9/4 and on 8/25 they were still offering upsells. Great deals too. If you are getting down to a week or so, and are willing to pay a small amount for a good upgrade, have your TA contact HAL and make an offer, or at least ask what offers are out there. We got upgraded from a VH guarantee (on the Odam) to an assigned SY for $199 pp, 12 day cruise. We didn't even ask for an SS as we don't want to be under the Lido, but another CCer on our cruise got a similar price for an upgrade to an SS.

BTW, I don't blame HAL at all for trying to get each extra dollar they can for moving people up. I'd rather pay the little extra and have HAL maintain the service and quality I love.

We have just got our cabin for the Eurodam 6 Sept sailing. We have been upgarded to a V (V8098) cabin from a VE guarantee. Pretty happy with this. Any one familiar with this cabin?

You got a good cabin! We were upgraded last April to a V also and loved it! Great view. Enjoy your cruise.:)

So I am going to join this list. We are on the Westerdem 9/13 and booked on two VF guarantees. Of course I keep on checking. For us it is the first time to book a guarantee, but there was nothing else available when we booked (but it became available about 10 days later :().

Arno

OK - we caved in with the very first offer. Thirty-three days out we were offered an SZ guarantee to an SA confirmed for $999 per person. I know the offers would get better as the cruise gets closer ... but that's if there are any SA's left. We still saved a pretty penny and are sailing the way we know and love after all. We are VERY happy campers. One of these days though, we really DO need to experience a smaller suite. Maybe in 2011. :)

Archived