Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi we are a group of 6. We disembark on a sunday and will be staying at Springhill suites for the night. Just wondering if there's anything (activities/tours/sights) that we can do there. I was told it's close to the airport but have no idea what's around it. None of us have ever been to FLL before.

Thanks in advance

Can you agree on a price ahead of time? I am worried that the traffic coming in and leaving the port could double our cab fare.

No, the taxis are all metered. Where you can get caught up in a line is entering the port as you go through security checks but if you arrive after 12 noon the lines tend to be very short. Exiting the port there are no security checks, there are no line ups and it is a straight shot to the airport. The thing to watch at the port is that sometimes the taxi driver will turn on the meter before he exits his cab to load your bags....if he does this point it out to the sheriff's deputy who is operating the cab line and he will have him turn it off and re-set it to the flag rate of $2.50.

First off, Thank You to all who post answers to those of us not familiar with FLL. We are heading to the Oasis this July and doing my homework on our rental car. I will be using Hertz and saw somewhere that they might not be part of the car rental shuttle between the airport and the port anymore. Anyone with current info? I also saw that there is a closer place than the airport that is authorized Hertz rentals too, Crown Plaza or something similar.

Paying a cab back to the airport for under $20 doesn't sound too bad unless there is a better alternative. Just need some local advice on getting to Hertz to pick up our car for the week after our cruise.

Thank in advance everyone!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I found out it takes 3 hours to do the Water Taxi loop, if you just stay on.

I heard the Seville Street stop, #3, is the nicest for the beach area?

The Seville St stop will take you a couple of blocks north of where all of the restaurants, bars and shops are. If you like to walk it's a good stop, and you could walk to the beach road and take a nice scenic stroll down to stop #5 (Bahia Mar/Bahia Cabana, behind the fire station). If you'd rather just be in the middle of everything, use the beach place stop. If you are looking for the gay beach area, stop #3 is definitely best.

Edited by royalcruz

Hi we are a group of 6. We disembark on a sunday and will be staying at Springhill suites for the night. Just wondering if there's anything (activities/tours/sights) that we can do there. I was told it's close to the airport but have no idea what's around it. None of us have ever been to FLL before.

Thanks in advance

Dania Beach is not far away. You could get there by bus, cab, rental car or maybe the hotel shuttle van.

http://daniabeachfl.gov/index.aspx?NID=124

You could have drinks and dinner on the beach and watch your ship go back out that evening...

http://www.beach-watch.com/

First off, Thank You to all who post answers to those of us not familiar with FLL. We are heading to the Oasis this July and doing my homework on our rental car. I will be using Hertz and saw somewhere that they might not be part of the car rental shuttle between the airport and the port anymore. Anyone with current info? I also saw that there is a closer place than the airport that is authorized Hertz rentals too, Crown Plaza or something similar.

Paying a cab back to the airport for under $20 doesn't sound too bad unless there is a better alternative. Just need some local advice on getting to Hertz to pick up our car for the week after our cruise.

Thank in advance everyone!!! :)

I've only cruised out of Port Everglades 3 or 4 times, but I've never paid more than $12 for a taxi between FLL and the port.

I usually rent from Alamo at FLL and I usually drop at MIA to take a cruise out of the POM, so I don't know much about the Port Everglades shuttle, but there always seems to be conflicting information about it on this board.

When I am staying in the Ft Lauderdale area and picking up and dropping at FLL I will rent from Advantage Car Rentals most times. They are now a division of Hertz and are at an off airport location. They have a shuttle to their facility which is very near the Eller Drive entrance to the port. I'm not sure if they will shuttle you to the port, but if you call the local office and ask for Rommel he has all the answers.

Edited by Music City

Can anyone recommend a good hotel with a parking packge for cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale? The cruise is the 26th (9 days). Arriving in FLL on the 25th and would love to find a good hotel with parking and shuttle to/from the pier. It is my sister's honeymoon and we want to give them the hotel and park pkg for a wedding gift! Thanks for any info. I'm sure it is here somewhere, but could not find any info.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel with a parking packge for cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale? The cruise is the 26th (9 days). Arriving in FLL on the 25th and would love to find a good hotel with parking and shuttle to/from the pier. It is my sister's honeymoon and we want to give them the hotel and park pkg for a wedding gift! Thanks for any info. I'm sure it is here somewhere, but could not find any info.

There aren't a lot of honeymoon-worthy hotels that offer this kind of package. There is a nice airport Sheraton that offers these services. The website shows a parking package and another package that has the port shuttles, but if you call them they should be able to bundle those services... http://deals.sheraton.com/Sheraton-Fort-Lauderdale-Airport-Hotel-1115/SO.htm?IM=PP_LHN_SOP_US_SI_1115&iATANumber=

I read here that someone got a parking/shuttle package rate at the very nice Renaissance Fort Lauderdale also. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-deals/fllbr-renaissance-fort-lauderdale-cruise-port-hotel/

If you just want a basic but modern hotel, try the Hampton Inn north FLL near SR84 or the Sleep Inn in Dania Beach off Sheridan St.

I would try the Cambria Suites near the airport. It is a very nice, relatively new hotel. They do have shuttles to the pier and I understand they have a parking plan.

I've only cruised out of Port Everglades 3 or 4 times, but I've never paid more than $12 for a taxi between FLL and the port.

I usually rent from Alamo at FLL and I usually drop at MIA to take a cruise out of the POM, so I don't know much about the Port Everglades shuttle, but there always seems to be conflicting information about it on this board.

When I am staying in the Ft Lauderdale area and picking up and dropping at FLL I will rent from Advantage Car Rentals most times. They are now a division of Hertz and are at an off airport location. They have a shuttle to their facility which is very near the Eller Drive entrance to the port. I'm not sure if they will shuttle you to the port, but if you call the local office and ask for Rommel he has all the answers.

Thanks Music City!!:cool:

• 2 months later...

We are cruising in January and our points program will let us choose between Best Western, Sheraton, Westin or 4 Points hotels.

Do any of these chains have a nice hotel that is close to the port in FLL?

Thanks,

I would try the Cambria Suites near the airport. It is a very nice, relatively new hotel. They do have shuttles to the pier and I understand they have a parking plan.

We stayed at Cambria last Dec. and plan to again this Dec. It's a lovely hotel I recommend it highly. We really enjoyed our stay. They have free shuttles from the airport, a shuttle to the cruise port and offer free parking up to 14 days while on the cruise.

They have a restaurant and bar, it's a small area but the food was wonderful and we felt reasonable.

We are cruising in January and our points program will let us choose between Best Western, Sheraton, Westin or 4 Points hotels.

Do any of these chains have a nice hotel that is close to the port in FLL?

Thanks,

Best Western Oceanside, Sheraton Ft Lauderdale Beach, and Sheraton FLL Airport are all very close and get good reviews.

Anyone stay at Embassy Suites - Miami Airport?

I've stayed at ES in the past, just not this one... and like the complimentary reception & breakfast.

But, wondering about their free airport shuttle... and the cruise shuttle that comes with the cruise package deal.

Any experience/thoughts would be appreciated.

Hello folks

Just a quick question I believe we have before but it's been a few years. My question is we are hopefully staying at the Renaissance hotel pretty much across from the port we will on have one bag each and are on the Ruby princess which I believe docks at the end closest to 17th street can you still walk out of the port area??

Not sure if the rules have changed or not

Thank you

Tom

//////////////

I have been quiet for the past couple of months. I have a blog about all things Ft Lauderdale that I made a promise to myself would be updated daily. Instead, I have been kind of busy with my other life outside of the States, and have neglected it. I'm back and making sure that any new updates get posted there timely. Questions...fire away.

Bequia

////////////

Hi their we are hiring a car from dollar rental in the ft Lauderdale airport. We are on a cruise prior to picking up the rental car, docking at Lauderdale. I was told this was the best thing to do.

Is the Dollar rental easy to find? Would a taxi know where to go? Also how far is the airport from the cruise terminal? Any information would be greatfly received.

Anyone stay at Embassy Suites - Miami Airport?

I've stayed at ES in the past, just not this one... and like the complimentary reception & breakfast.

But, wondering about their free airport shuttle... and the cruise shuttle that comes with the cruise package deal.

Any experience/thoughts would be appreciated.

We just stayed there before our Eclipse transatlantic a couple of weeks ago. The 'reception/happy hour' was an attraction. We also ate dinner there and it was very good and very reasonable. We did not use their shuttle. I don't think it is free....it may have been at one time but pretty sure it isn't now. We opted for a cab and the cost was less than $20. We will definitely stay there again.

This thread hasn't been alive in a couple of years but maybe someone out there is still watching.

Wonder what hotel is on the beach and close to RCCL port. I want to be able to stay on the beach for a little while before we get on the boat in Ft. Lauderdale.

Does the hotel have shuttle service

OR

Am I better off renting a car for day of arrival at airport sight seeing a bit then returning and getting a taxi to port.

Thanks if anyone out there

Edited by travelplanner4thefamily
added email notification

This thread hasn't been alive in a couple of years but maybe someone out there is still watching.

Wonder what hotel is on the beach and close to RCCL port. I want to be able to stay on the beach for a little while before we get on the boat in Ft. Lauderdale.

Does the hotel have shuttle service

OR

Am I better off renting a car for day of arrival at airport sight seeing a bit then returning and getting a taxi to port.

Thanks if anyone out there

None of the beach hotels have shuttle services in Fort Lauderdale but they are very close to the port and airport. If you want to ride around town, rent a car, or there are buses and trolleys that will get you around the main parts of town. If you do rent a car at the airport you might be able to get a free shuttle to the ship when you drop it off. The beachfront hotels charge for parking. The closest hotels on the beach are Lago Mar, Marriott Harbor Beach, and Sheraton. The closest decent hotels near or across from the beach are Best Western Oceanside, Bahia Mar, and Marriott Courtyard.

Quick question...I know there are a bunch of shuttles at the port and trans to MIA won't be much of an issue just curious as to price for 2 adults. Thanks.

About $15 per person + tip each way. Check out SAS (www.ridesas.com) and QLS (www.qualitylimoservice.com) -- both are oftne suggested on these boards. Good luck! :)

Edited by JohninDC