Can you add a third person after initial booking?

trvljill

I was wondering if anyone had done this before: Booked a cruise with two people in a room and then a few weeks later try to add a 3rd person in the room. I know this would be taking a big risk as there may not be any 3 person rooms available by that time. I was just curious as to if this was even allowed or if anyone had tried doing it. Also if anyone had any other alternate suggestions instead of doing this.

My cousin, her friend and I were looking at doing the 7 day cruise to the Mexican Riviera out of Long Beach the week after Thanksgiving. They know they could get the time off while I won't know for a few more weeks(probably end of September). We are looking to book the cheapest interior cabin we can and since we live in California we can take advantage of the resident rate making it extremely cheap. I don't want them to hold off booking for my sake and it then turns out I can't go or that the price goes up a fair bit in the next few weeks. So if anyone had any suggestions, stories or similar experiences would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

my pvp has personally advised that it is very easy to add a third person...

the most difficult part, which isn't hard at all, she says, is to book or re-book to a cabin that has the capacity for a third person.

again, she said, it's not that hard. the only point of interest is that, any pre-assigned cabin assignment may have to be changed, for the third person booking.

for your interest, the third person almost always books at a huge discount. for instance, 499 balcony cabin, 3rd pax is say 209-229... big discount. but not all cabins can accomodate it.

a lot of interior cabins accomodate extra pax, but also don't discount oceanview cabins. they aren't THAT much more, and if you need a 3rd pax, that could work out for your requirements. but, it's also a big ship, so as long as you're giving it at least 30 days out, you'll often be able to accomodate whatever you need.

carnival ships always sail full (100% or greater, based on 2 pax per room), but can accomodate up to almost 20-30% more depending on ship. i swear they almost never sail totally FULL. there's a lot of flexibility built in.

best of luck :)

we added a fourth person to a cabin about a week before final payment, at first our agent thought she might have to change cabins but ended up not having too.

your agent, pvp or ta, should have / would have known the capacity of your cabin from the onset. such information is readily available. ;)

We booked an inside for two, then added a 3rd person and upgraded to a balcony that holds 4 people. Since we booked so far out we were able to get a quad room as Carnival had no restrictions on how many people a room holds and how many were actually booked in the room.

We divided the actual cost of the room by 3 and was not much more than an inside for 2. So you might want to book the inside for two then upgrade for three if you go. We are booked Early Saver and you can change your booking as long as you are not downgrading.

But it CAN happen that you find you can get the time off, but the ship has reached lifeboat capacity, even though there are berths left. In that case, you are out of luck. EM

Can you waive your right to a lifeboat, and go down with the ship? :D

Even though your cabin might accomodate 3 people and even though there might be another cabin that might accomodate 3 people, if the ship's capacity is FULL, then no one can add a person. Check with your travel agent or call Carnival to find out.

Thanks so much for your input and stories of your experiences, nice just to hear about what others have been through and how it worked out. We don't have an acutal booking yet or room number so can't let ya know that but thanks for the offer of help. I really love these boards everyone is so great!

We booked for my dh and I last October and a few weeks later decided to add our daughter. We had no problem. They brought in a roll-away bed for her and it was great!

Only ships built before year 2000 have rollaways that can be added to cabins. None of the newer ships have them...

We just recently went through the process of adding a third. One of our cabins was a double but we were able to upgrade to a higher category cabin with no change fee even though we were on the ES rate. Apparently as long as you are moving to a higher category they are okay with it.

Of course our cruise apparently has quite a few quads still open since we are cruising in October and school is in for most people.

Good luck and happy cruising

Archived