REFLECTION TRANSATLANTIC - Full Review!!! 10/21/16 - 11/5/16

chicagopaul

Well, we are back in Chicago after a wonderful Transatlantic Cruise on the Celebrity Reflection. Edward and I would like to share with you all of our thoughts, some photos, some video and any information we’ve collected from the ship. I hope you enjoy the review below!

The Celebrity Reflection TA, on October 21st 2016 was a last minute decision for us. We booked the cruise roughly 40 days out in a balcony cabin and upgraded to a suite guarantee a couple weeks later when we saw some price drops. While it did cost us a decent amount more, we were very happy we upgraded and had a great experience. Though we would have had a great experience either way!

Lets talk Embarkation!

We were staying at the IQ Roma in Rome. It was a wonderful location that was walking equal walking distance to everything you want to see. We’ve been to Rome multiple times so we only spent two days (really a day and a half) in Rome before joining the ship. The morning of embarkation we had Rome Cabs pick us up at 10am. We had used Rome Cabs to the airport and we ended up with the same driver to the port. He was absolutely fantastic. We would ask us questions about Chicago and then tell us how things are different or similar in Rome. He talked about Italy, where he was from, etc. If you ever need transportation I highly recommend them. So he picks us up at 10am and we’re at the port by 11:10am. No major issues with traffic. We expected some due to the transit strike but it wasn’t too bad. As pulled up to the ship there was some very very light rain but not enough that wound garner the use of an umbrella.

We exited the car and a porter took our bags right away. We headed into the terminal, filled out our “I have not been sick and I’m not going to infect the ship with any disease” health card and headed to the lines. We were in a suite so we went to the suite line and had no waiting. Looking around, even if you were not in a suite, it looked as though you wouldn’t have had to wait much at all. We checked in, received our cards and walked right on the ship. We were on the ship by 11:30am. Perfect and easy. As we boarded the ship we heard the first “ding” of our sea cards and we were in heaven!

Room & Butler / Room Attendant

We ended up eating lunch in Luminae (see below under food for review on Luminae) and I think we ended right around 1:45pm. At this time we went and found the rooms open and our luggage sitting outside our door and our butler standing outside our door, cabin 2127 Sky Suite S1 mid to mid forward, port side. I thought “Well, this is a great start to the cruise.”

Our butler Hilario introduced himself to us and brought our luggage into our room. He went over the itinerary with us explaining which nights were evening chic, which ports we were tendering at (only 1), our ability for priority tenders, etc. He was very nice and encouraged us to call him for anything. He said “If there is anything you need, call me. A problem with your bill somewhere, call me. You want to book an excursion, call me. You want shoes shined or your by the pool and forgot your sunglasses, call me.” He made us feel very welcome.

We did not use Hilario for much. He did take care of dinner reservations for us, we had him prepare some cheese plates for us a couple nights as we were getting ready and a button broke off a jacket of mine so I had him repair that and he ended up pressing the jacket as well. We had laundry sent out a couple of times and he was the one in charge of making sure it came back in a timely manner. We ordered breakfast a few times but didn’t want to be disturbed so he had the breakfast sitting on a cart outside our room door for whenever we awoke.

Leondaro , who goes by Leo, was our room attendant. Now the room attendants no longer have assistants but they have less rooms to clean. We’ve always had pretty good to great room attendants but Leo was by far the best we’ve had. He never once had him disturb us to clean the room. He got to know our schedule, which was fairly regular and we always had the room spotless when we came back and things properly arranged in the bathroom or on the desk. At the end of the cruise we found out this was his first contract! I don’t know if he meant first with Celebrity or first ever on a ship, but he definitely was doing a very good job.

Room 2127 (Deck 12)

So, this room does have an overhang so the balcony does not get direct sun. This can be good or bad depending on what you want. This room was an Aqua Suite in the past so we had body sprayers in the shower as the aqua rooms have.

Here is a video walk through of the room.

This room was not the quietest room we’ve had. We did hear what sounded like carts moving above us. We did hear service doors opening. We had some minor vibrations on some nights that felt like they were coming from the head board / wall behind us. We felt some things, we heard some things, but to us they were minimal and we got used to it. If you’re highly noise sensitive you might not want this cabin. However, we did not find it keeping us awake with the exception of the vibration which woke us up a couple of times during one night, but only on one night.

Ship Cleanliness

We’ve always found Celebrity Ships to be very clean. No exceptions here. Everything looked great and I think the ship got even cleaner as we crossed due to the impending US Coast Guard inspections that were to take place once we reached Miami. We actually witnessed two US Cost Guard in Michael’s Club checking the bar area, the sink and the back prep room.

Hallways always smelled clean. Chrome was always polished. Clean Clean Clean.

SEE BELOW THE REVIEW CONTINUES!!@

Edited by chicagopaul

FOOD FOOD FOOD!

Let’s break down the food into different areas.

Room Service

We ordered room service twice. Once late at night (if you've been following me on Instagram you’ve seen the video) after many drinks and once for lunch on the last day at sea. The first time we ordered it we had some pizza and chicken skewers. We’ve always liked the chicken skewers but this time we loved them. They were much larger, perfectly cooked and the yogurt sauce was tastier. The pizza was pretty good too for late night pizza on a ship. The late night order took about 20/25 minutes to arrive. We thought that was pretty quick.

When we ate lunch through room service we ordered chicken skewers (they came just as before, very good, larger and perfectly cooked), caesar salad and a turkey club. Caesar salad wasn’t perfect but it was OK. Dressing was a bit bland and there was not enough of it IMHO. Turkey club was quite small but very tasty and the fries that came with it were crisp. This order took longer, around 35/40 minutes but they did call to confirm the order and said it was going to be longer than 30 minutes for delivery.

Ocean View Cafe

We only ate in Ocean View a few times and the last few cruises we’ve barely been in there. We hate fighting the crowds and I prefer to sit down and order off a menu. However, from what I remember in the past, I found Ocean View to have improved, at least for lunch which is the only time we were there. On the sea days they had themes which was fun. Italian theme one day, Texas BBQ the other day, etc. We didn’t try the BBQ but I was told it wasn’t that great (this was heard from a couple that lives in Texas). They had a meat day with a huge carving station with different meats and sausages. That was pretty good! The section for lunch seemed to change well daily and we liked it when we ate there.

Edward had breakfast there once which was only OK.

The only complaint we heard…and Edward mentioned this as well when he was there in the morning, is that the Ocean View staff behind the food stations were a bit short with people and didn’t really have the best attitudes. I personally never had to encounter them so I can’t attest to this but we did hear this from a couple people.

We never ordered a drink in Ocean View however whenever we ate lunch there I always saw wait staff walking around. I’m sure if I wanted a drink at lunch in Ocean View it would have been easy to get. The last time I remember being in Ocean View the wait staff seemed to be less.

We never ate in Ocean View for dinner so I cannot comment on dinner. We did stop up there during the evening in Barcelona for a quick snack and they had a nice selection of Spanish specialties.

Mast Grill

We ordered the burger a couple times at Mast Grill. I know in the past everyone has raved about the burgers here. I’ve never found them anything special but they’re decent. This time around they were hit or miss. The first time Edward ordered one it was cooked properly but it was about half the size of the bun. The second time we got one they were larger and cooked properly. I had the hot dogs a few times at Mast Grill and they were good. There was always a small crowd up there, but unlike the caribbean it was never packed, with the exception of the second to last sea day.

Luminae

We ate in Luminae for dinner almost every night and a couple times for lunch. Overall we were very happy with the food and with the selection.

Let’s start with the Negative Observations first to get those out of the way…actually lets call it constructive criticism…that sounds better right?

We found Luminae to be very busy this cruise as opposed to the past. I believe the reason is due to a couple factors. Since this is a TA there were a high number of Elite and Elite Plus and some who were given VIP status and could dine in Luminae. Nothing at all wrong with this, but I think it just added to the crowds. We usually dine at 8pm and I think since we were gaining an hour each some people were eating later since they could stay up later and the 8pm dining time was just very popular. Because of this it made getting dinner a little longer than I would have liked, but not an uncomfortable length by any means. Just an observation.

The food was always good. They really seem to like short ribs on this cruise which is fine with me, so do I. Some of my favorite dishes were the following: short rib cannelloni, chateaubriand, and lobster. The veal chop was also very good. Chocolate Soufflé desert was my favorite desert to eat, but the chocolate sphere set on fire was by far the most interesting. Our waiter was Dev who was very friendly and personable. He always gave proper input on his recommendations and steered us clear if he thought we wouldn’t like it. Dragan was one of the assistants who did a wonderful job.

Specialty Restaurants!

I finally get to give my input on Sushi on 5 and Lawn Club for Lunch! OK, here are my thoughts.

Sushi on 5

We eat sushi at least a few times a month but typically not more. There is much controversy over the pricing of Sushi on 5. Even my live blog lead to a thread criticizing Sushi on 5. Let me start my describing the food and I’ll give my thoughts on pricing and business after.

Chicken Pot Stickers (On the Menu as “Chicken Ginger Gyoza”) - Absolutely fantastic. Just go there and get those if you don’t like sushi. 6 came in the order and the price was $8. Comparable size and quality in Chicago would have cost us around $13 I would imagine.

Green Roof Tuna - Spicy tuna with cucumber and avocado. We liked this a lot. It was a very pretty dish and the avocado was fresh and generous as well. There were 8 pieces per roll. Price $11

Tamaki Trio - which is spicy salmon, tuna and yellowtail. This was very good. I was hoping for a little more fish in this roll (it looked a little small) but it was very tasty. There were 8 pieces per roll. Price $10

Omakase Sashimi - Choice of 5 (chef’s Selection). Very good, tasted fresh despite the fact we were in the middle of our 7 sea days. Price $8

Drinks. We each had a glass of the Momokawa Junmai Ginjo sake and then an Agave Sunrise (Jalapeno infused Grey Goose, fresh lemon, cucumber juice, agave syrup, basil and a piece of jalapeño). This drink was fantastic. It is essentially the Grass is Greener which used to be on the Molecular Menu. Costs of the drinks were $7 and $13, respectively, however they were covered by our premium beverage package.

So since we had the drink package, our total cost for our lunch at Sushi on 5 was $37. Divided by two that is $18.50

There has been talk on here about why not make Sushi on 5 all you can eat for $30 per person or something of the sort. Personally, I’d like to see both options. We stopped in Sushi on 5 for a quick light lunch. We did not want to eat that much so for us the al a carte pricing worked. The sushi is much better than the canapé sushi given out or the sushi that was in the buffet because we’re dealing with much better fish (actual fish, half the other sushi has only been cali rolls, etc) and we’re also dealing with real sushi rice. The quality is restaurant quality. The other sushi was not.

My recommendation to Celebrity for Sushi on 5 is to do a couple things.

Both al a carte and all you can eat option. If you end up going over $30 per person then your bill gets capped at that. But if you only want a light lunch, you have the option to do that.

2. Advertise the other food options or change the name. While the primary focus is on Sushi, the Pot Stickers were a meal by themselves and I’ve heard the Ramen is very good as well. Perhaps they can increase the ramen selection and advertise that at a minimal cost: Ramen with a side salad for $10 for example.

When we ate at Sushi on 5 we saw a total of 3 couples. We sat down late, around 1:45pm. I don’t mind paying extra if I want to. The great thing is, if I don’t want to, I don’t have to.

Lawn Club for Lunch - Gourmet Burgers

This is probably one of the best dining decisions Celebrity has made in a while. We were told this is only on the Reflection and is running as a test. On sea days Lawn Club is open for a gourmet burger lunch. The cost is a flat $10 and comes with access to the salad bar, a burger of your choice (we were offered two if we wanted) and a side.

We visited here twice for lunch. The burgers were cooked perfectly. The first burger I had was the *** Burger (see menu below for description) which was excellent. I think they packed the meat a little too much in this burger giving it a slightly tough texture but the cooking was perfect.

The second burger I had was the Bourbon Burger and Edward had the ….. burger. Both were cooked perfectly at medium and this time they didn’t pack the burger too hard so it was great texture and extremely tasty.

The only negative here are the fries which are potato wedges. The reason they’re not that good (so we were told) is that they do not have a fryer in Lawn Club. JohnnyT who is active on here said that he was told this issue will be corrected in the near future. I’m sure they will make this correction as Lawn Club always had a decent crowd for lunch.

Lawn Club for Dinner

Always too much food! The pizza was fantastic as usual. We had half a BBQ and half a sausage and pepper. We both had filets, along with some chicken skewers and shrimp / scallop skewer with sides of Mac n Cheese. The steak was cooked a perfect Medium Rare and was extremely tender. Of course for desert we had…..you guessed it, the chocolate chip cookie with ice cream. It was perfect as always and even though we could not finish all of our dinner, we always had room for desert.

Tuscan Grill

We were very excited to try the new menu at Tuscan. It was revamped and made to be a little more simple. Here is what we had.

Calamari - Fantastic. Not too chewy, cooked perfectly. Large pieces (as I think calamari should be). Great. We LOVED the Calamari before and we LOVE it even more now.

Spaghetti and Meatballs - Meatballs were very good. Firm texture but not overly hard and not dry. Very good, well balanced flavor. The spaghetti was cooked to a perfect al dente. The sauce was a bit thick and it was sweet. It wasn’t sweet in the sense of San Marzano naturally sweet, this tasted as if a decent amount of sugar was added to the sauce. For a sweet sauce, which we’ve of course had before, this was good. However, I’m not a fan of sweet sauces with pasta so I would take a pass on ordering this again. If it was just the meatballs by themselves then I think the combination can work. With the pasta…I wasn’t a fan.

Carbonara - This was fantastic. Excellent pasta. I could have eaten this every day of the cruise.

Filet Mignon - Large pieces. Cooked Medium Rare as ordered. It was a true Medium Rare (what you’d expect in Chicago or Texas haha). Meat was very good quality. We were very pleased with this.

Desert - Limoncello Cheesecake with Limoncello. Cheesecake was very nice. We weren’t in the mood for desert but the waiter insisted we get something so we chose to try this. We also each had a glass of limoncello which is now made on the ship. This we really enjoyed. We love limoncello and we felt that this tasted authentic, light and refreshing.

Murano

A special shout out to JohnnyT who we enjoyed Murano with on the 2nd to last sea day. We had a wonderful table in the back right corner where we could view much of the restaurant. Everything was great. We did not do a long drawn out dinner with 5 courses. We usually do this at Murano, but being the 2nd to last day on the ship I don’t think we could eat much more even if they paid us to.

Crab Parfait - Excellent. Perfection in my opinion

Lobster Bisque - Very Good

Salads - There are two salads on the menu and I believe both were ordered at our table (not by me). They seem to be thoroughly enjoyed.

Dover Sole - Edward and I both had the Dover Sole. Cooked perfectly, de-boned perfectly and served table side. What a great fish.

At our table chateaubriand and lobster were ordered. Everyone seemed to enjoy it very much.

SEE BELOW....THE REVIEW CONTINUES!!!!

Edited by chicagopaul

BAR SERVICE!!!!

OK, So if you’ve read my blog, if you’ve met me or if you’ve seen me from a distance you know that I am most likely at a bar, leaving a bar, headed to a bar, or planning to be at a bar later. Hey, what can I say it is who I am. Let me evaluate the bar service on the Celebrity Reflection.

This review might be slightly biased. At any restaurant we go to we eat at the bar. We know lots of bartenders and some of our best friends are career bartenders. Because of this we know how to get great service at a bar but even with that set aside, we always observe the bars and will give our honest opinion of bar service. Even some of our friends and favorite bartenders in Chicago may get a “Hey…you really need to change X,Y,Z in the way you approach or serve people.” So, without further delay, but with a glass of wine at my side, here are my thoughts on the Celebrity Reflection Bar Service broken down by the bars we visited. Please note, not all are included because we only visited a few bars while on the ship.

Pool Bar

We visited the pool bar starting on day 1 at 11:30am when we boarded and after that, every day from day 2 at 9:30am. After the 2nd day they knew my order (Screwdriver with Kettle One, yah yah I know the acid in the orange juice kills the taste of the vodka so any vodka will do, but since I’m using the premium package I might as well get my usual!). Joaquim, Boon and Carlos were awesome at the Pool Bar. Joaquin and Carlos can be a bit quiet, but they’re very nice. You just need to pull on them a bit to get a smile. However, they’re very attentive, always are accommodating and made sure that they were serving who was next versus who was just in front of them. Boon was the same way, but since we knew him from the Martini Bar we always found him very talkative with us. He asked us about our life back home and we talked with him about his plans after Celebrity. We never visited the Pool Bar after 2pm so we cannot comment on that time frame but before that service was always great. Again, they knew who we were so that always has some influence. Lastly, I will add that one of the pool wait staff / occasional bartender remembered us from the Silhouette TA in April. His name is Zanu. On the first day as soon as we sat down he remembered we were on the Silhouette and remembered our drink. A big shout out to him!

Martini Bar

CHAIRUL! Our absolute favorite bartender who we have known now for several years. He made sure every single bartender who we encountered, whether at the Pool Bar or Martini Bar, etc. knew our regular order. He is always extremely friendly, tells jokes and is very very proper when working with people, even when they do not know what they want or try to use their “coupons” at the Martini Bar.

PUTU - If you don’t know who Putu is he is the bald guy! He is quirky, he is fun, he is a bit crazy. But if you ever talk to him in a serious manner you realize so much more about him. You get to know his family, you get to know his plans for the future. You realize how much he really loves his job and how much pride he takes in it and he always served everyone with a smile and amazingly quick service.

BOON is also awesome. He is a young guy, only 24, but very laid back. You’d never see him get frustrated and he always smiled even when guests where….well you know…. :) After day one, just like Putu he knew our drink. Maybe Chairul had something to do with that!

Kadek and Adrian are also very good. Kadek can have a bit of a stern face but he remembers names very very well. Adrian is quiet but very nice and knows his stuff. He is an excellent flair bartender and can definitely put on a show. You’ll see him in the video as well, he is the only Eastern European looking bartender on the video so he is easy to spot.

Sunset Bar

We stopped by Sunset Bar on the first day and then did not visit it again until later on in the cruise. However, both the bartender (nicknamed Ninja) and Milton (Santa Claus!) remembered us. Santa actually saw us sitting at the pool bar and we were instructed by him to start visiting Sunset Bar again….well you can’t say no to Santa! You might be reading this and thinking…Santa? Milton, is a bartender / bar server and he is from Jamaica. He always wears a Santa hat at the Sunset Bar and says things like “Merry Christmas Man! Let it Snow! Jamaican bobsled team!” He was always in a great mood and he remembered EVERYONE! He would add little jokes in such as calling your Seapass card your prescription card and calling your drink medicine and calling you his patient. He was an absolute blast and always put a smile on our face. He had a lot of regulars at his bar. Ninja was the bartender and he was very personable and remembered us from day 1 as well. We were very happy with both of them at the Sunset Bar and wish we spent more time there.

Michael’s Club

Bartenders / Servers at Michael’s in the evening were Joyce, Geraldo (Ray), and Elesta (Ele). We got to know them all well but especially got to know Joyce and Eli. Whenever we’d see Ray he was usually pretty busy so couldn’t talk to him too much. Joyce was always very sweet to us and called us each by name as soon as she saw us walk in. Service was always very quick and attentive. The one downside to Michael’s is that their liquor selection can be lacking. They ran out of Ketel One and it was not replaced for instance. We’d stop in there more for a late night drink or a quick champagne before dinner. We wanted to talk to people we knew there so we didn’t make a big deal about our Ketel One not being stocked. I’m sure if I asked they would have taken care of it.

Other items of note are there bartenders make great drinks. I don’t have to explain no vermouth when I say vodka straight up. Ray made a unique version of a Moscow Mule which was very tasty. Ele made a fantastic espresso martini! We sat at the bar most nights at the far end near the coolers. We noticed as Eli would watch people walk in and she knew their drinks right away and had them made only seconds after they sat down. Her service was spot on.

ENTERTAINMENT!!!

Production Shows

Recently Celebrity took control of their production shows and I think it has made a great difference in several areas. I want to preface that I do not go on cruise ships to see broadway shows. If I want broadway I fly to New York or see the traveling cast when it comes through Chicago. I don’t try to hold the production cast up to broadway standards, but at the same time I do expect certain things and above all, I want to be entertained. I can’t sing and I definitely can’t dance so I’m not going to critique too hard, but here is what I noticed.

Since Celebrity took over and changed the shows the set design and costume design has gotten much better. The clothing fits the dancers and singers like gloves. The set design is much better, more unique and much more beautiful. There were a total of 3 production shows plus one show with the vocalists singing broadway numbers.

Production Shows were as follows:

Maxx - This show was about a boy who gets lost in a video game / computer (think video game form the 80s though). This was my least favorite of all the shows. It was entertaining but the story line was hard to follow and the songs chosen didn’t seem to fit the vocal strengths of the cast. I’d definitely see it again if I was on the ship, but if you need to skip it for another activity you’re not missing much.

Elysium - Fantastic. Incredible and beautiful costume design, beautiful set design, great songs that played to the strengths of the vocalists, very good dancing…I really enjoyed Elysium. It was very beautiful and felt like a show that could appeal to all demographics. Must see.

Broken Strings - EXCELLENT Set design. This show takes place in a pub and all the music is mostly current with some folk influence / twist. The cast was interactive with the audience before the show and the entire show was very energizing. This is definitely a must see as well.

Broadway at Sea - This was not a production show but it featured all the vocalists of the production shows / ship. Individually they sang their favorite broadway songs and then sang some together and in duets. All were very popular songs and the songs they chose to sing played to the vocal ability of each singer so I found it to be a very good show and I enjoyed it very much. Walking out of the show I heard a couple people say “I don’t like shows where I don’t know any of the music” to which I was stunned to hear. So, if you don’t know who Andrew Lloyd Webber is then this might not be the show for you. For everyone else, you’ll enjoy it very much.

Guest Entertainment

There were multiple guest entertainers on board and we did not see all of them but we did see two.

Tenors of Rock I don’t want to describe them too much as they’re off Celebrity and now have a two year contract in Vegas, but they were direct from the west end and were absolutely fantastic. Great rock songs all sang with a little twist. Highly entertaining. They were natural entertainers and EVERYONE on the ship was raving about them. It is great to see Celebrity bring on talent such as this. I hope it continues!

Thomas John Thomas was a juggler / comedian. He was on America’s Got Talent and had just finished a tour of Europe. He was very good and very entertaining. His show started out a bit slow, but we really enjoyed watching him. His jokes were well received by the audience and could handle any age group. Many were Celebrity specific jokes and he poked good fun at some of the passengers in the front row.

Jason Bishop - We did not see him and wish we had. Jason is still ship hopping with Celebrity so you may see him on the Reflection or even another ship. He is an illusionist and mixes some comedy with his magic tricks. Many people on the ship really enjoyed him.

Music around the ship entertainment

Gordon Guitar & Vocals. We did not hear Gordon much but he played at Cafe al Bacio and also in Michael’s. The few times we heard him we really enjoyed his music.

Sound Stars House Band. We enjoyed the house band. They had a wide range of music though I wish they could have played more current music…however, we were on the transatlantic so I understand! The lead female vocalist was outstanding!

Skylab Sounds: Soulful Electronica. Skylab Sounds developed their own mixes like a DJ would but they would make addition to songs on the spot or use a small instruments to enhance songs. They would play around the ship but typically were at the Martini Bar around 7pm. We very much enjoyed them. Their music at the Martini Bar was at the perfect sound level but it also set the perfect mood. Great songs you’d expect to hear a laid back high end lounge in a big city. They actually gave us a CD on the last night of the cruise. SkylabSounds DOT com is their website. I assume you can hear some of their music on it, I haven’t checked. Long story short, as you know on all of our cruises we are at the Martini Bar and I think they should be put in charge of running music at everyone martini bar ship wide. I’ll leave it at that!

DJ Gio We didn’t listen to him too much but we had no complaints about the DJ. When he played by the pool during some of the pool games, etc. he did a good job of getting the crowd involved. He played a few songs and made people sing along. He was more active than the average DJ which was nice.

Summary

We had a wonderful cruise. As always, each cruise is what you make of it. You can look at the negative or look at the positive. Overall we found the service and the majority of the food to be outstanding. As always we found the ship to be spotless.

The weather, which is of course out of Celebrity’s control, was great. We had a couple days with a little rain and on a couple sea days the ship was rolling slightly but it simply reminded us we were at sea.

What was my favorite part of the cruise?

The favorite part of travel, in my opinion, always has been and always will be people. It is easy for us to get aggravated with people on a day to day basis. Whether it is people who cannot drive, families who take up the ENTIRE side walk and walk a snails pace…well you get the idea. However, every time we go on vacation, we fall in love with people all over again.

Thank you to everyone we met on board. It is always a pleasure talking to people from all over the world. It is those conversations, no matter how short or simple, that made our trip truly enjoyable. It is the incredible staff that we get to know that make our trip enjoyable and always humble us. Learning about where they are from, what their future plans are, the sacrifices they’re making for their family, etc. always helps put life into perspective.

Thank you for taking the time to read my review and follow along on our journey. Our next cruise is over my big 30 Birthday departing on February 25th, 2017 on the Reflection. SEE BELOW AS I AM POSTING PHOTOS IN SEPARATE POSTS AS THE MAIN SITE IS NOT MAKING IT EASY FOR MY TO POST FROM MY LAPTOP. THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF VIDEOS BELOW AS WELL.

Cheers & Happy Cruising!

Very nice review. It was nice meeting Edward and you one night in the Michael's Club.

Where did you hear that Celebrity was allowing non Suite frequent cruisers to dine in Luminae on this cruise? I agree that it was busier than our other cruises with several large groups. I thought it was crowded because the Reflection has almost twice the number of suites as the other S ships. I did not hear about non suite VIPs, but I am just curious. If true that is really a bad deal because I heard several complaints about the Luminae being crowded.

We also had an excellent cruise which is normal for us.

Enjoy your Febuary birthday cruise.

We were very disappointed with Luminae and finally gave up on it and ate at specialty restaurants and Blu. The menu is vey limited and we often couldn't find anything we liked and ordered from the MDR menu. Service was very slow. It seemed like there was a galley problem. Preparation of some dishes left much to be desired. Fish was dry, meat not cooked as requested- ordered rare, served well done. Rarely were DH and I able to eat main course together because of problems. Blu had much better breakfasts and better service all around. We spoke to Maitr'd twice as well as Food and Beverage manager.

Next cruise in Concierge cabin with Ultimate Dining Package and Premium Drink Package for les than 1/2 price of lowest level suite. I'll give up the extra room for an additional cruise.

Glad you guys made it home safely. Just watched your Martini Bar video, such fun, you even caught me a couple of times filming as well. Can't wait to cruise again, going on the Silhouette Dec 4 with my family, will certainly be a different vibe. Tell Edward hello from me.

Norma

Hello Paul:

We met you at the Martini bar with Edward and it was a pleasure. I agree completely with your review and have a few comments as well.

First off thanks for the great review, now I don't have to write one ;)

Secondly, Just a comment about Reflection as a ship. The Reflection was the last built Solstice class vessel and they added one additional deck for suites and the Reflection suite and Signature suites without adding additional dining space anywhere. So You have 112 suites onboard Reflection compared with 55 on all other Solstice class vessels. Luminae and Suite class came about after these ships were built and thus Luminae is the Same Size on all Solstice Class vessels. This means double the passengers in Luminae then on any other ship.....So I would say the crowding on Reflection is the cruiselines desire for profit more then VIP's etc. This is a known problem about Reflection, however she is Celebrity's #1 money maker with all those extra suites...... I still think they did a great job with what they were working with.

Lastly, I echo your comments about the wonderful crew onboard. Friendly, accommodating, could not have been nicer. We abhor the crowds in the buffet so avoided it as Transatlantics and Buffets are always crazy, so I cannot comment on the staff there. Overall it was a fantastic cruise.

Thanks again for writing your fine review. Cheers!

Thank you Paul for your detailed review, which has been enhanced by excellent pictures.

I watched the video of your suite and apart from the bath tub I didn't see any difference in your room and a 1A balcony.

I understood suite meant more than one room.

Sounds to me that Celebrity have mis-named these 'state rooms.'

Edited by upwarduk

Fantastic review, pictures, and video Paul!

I sat next to you dodging flames in Murano when you and Edward had dinner with Johnny... I also held up my end of the martini bar most nights with same bartender favorites btw, and apparently missed meeting you both later - LOL! Blame them, not me~

Special thanks for the martini video! Still having withdrawals and I will save it to smile!

Wish you would add the REF Apr TA. to your plans? But if not, hope to see you both again!

Debra

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you Paul for your detailed review, which has been enhanced by excellent pictures.

I watched the video of your suite and apart from the bath tub I didn't see any difference in your room and a 1A balcony.

I understood suite meant more than one room.

Sounds to me that Celebrity have mis-named these 'state rooms.'

True, they are called suites but are only one large room. They are at least a third as big as a regular veranda room. Definitely not the same size! Maybe the photos don't do it justice, I didn't look at the video. The space around the bed and around the sofa and in the room in general is why we book these over and over. Well that and the restaurant and lounge and butler.